Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Greece - Georgia (31 Mar. 2021 - Toumba, Thessaloniki)

Dutch Eagle

Not everything is lost, but pressure builds with every lost point.
I think we’re going to need 15-16 pts to get to 2nd i.e. 4 wins out of 6 matches starting with Kosovo. Hope that Georgia can draw Sweden. Our games with Georgia away and Sweden away will be difficult to win but will determine our fate. On current form we can’t win. Time for JVS to take some risks and play a more attacking lineup, and use both Tzimikas, Giannoulis in starting.
It’s 5 months between now and the next qualifier. I hope we got some friendlies booked.

• Like it 2

8 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Clearly the coach has a problem in picking players. He picks the wrong players and players that shouldn’t even be there. It’s that simple. 

I’m not a JVS fan or a hater. But I don’t understand a lot of you guys. When he picked the starters, everyone loved the lineup. Now after the draw, everyone hates it. You can’t love it before the game, and hate it when it doesn’t work out. 

• Like it 2

9 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

I think we’re going to need 15-16 pts to get to 2nd i.e. 4 wins out of 6 matches starting with Kosovo. Hope that Georgia can draw Sweden. Our games with Georgia away and Sweden away will be difficult to win but will determine our fate. On current form we can’t win. Time for JVS to take some risks and play a more attacking lineup, and use both Tzimikas, Giannoulis in starting.
It’s 5 months between now and the next qualifier. I hope we got some friendlies booked.

June 3rd. Belgium. 

We should never put guys like mavrias on defence , only if somenone is injure.

Defence.....Kpap, Tzavellas, Tsimikis, Gianoulis

Forwards ........Pavlidis Tziolis Giourkoumakis

Our problem is mid field,,, no more Zeca. Bakasetas or Bouchalakis

These guys have no ball control or speed , Zeca does hussle but he doesnt warrant a startin positin

We need Fourtounis, Masouras, Limneos and Kourbelis in the mid field

Thank me later.

Edited by Lazarus
Removed all Upper Case type - corrected for case.

I can't go back on what i said before the qualifiers (others did as well) which is if we drop any points against Georgia or Kosovo we have NO chance at finishing 2nd. Yes Georgia gave Sweden and Spain a tough match but at the end of the day both those teams found a way to secure 3 points because that's what good teams do and we couldn't. Greece is now 4 points behind Sweden and we have both played 2 matches. There is no guarantee Spain take all 6 points from Sweden in fact I can see Sweden getting two draws but the most important factor is I can't see Greece beating Sweden to gain any ground, at most I can see a draw. It's like JVS didn't trust what he's been preaching its almost like he watched tapes from the Georgia game and had his team playing more scared not to concede then rather play high tempo that allowed us to create chances against teams like Slovenia and Kosovo (even though we didn't score we had chances). I have not been a hater or a huge supporter of JVS but i wanted to give him time to prove himself and he has done good things as there have been games where Greece were attacking and creating like I've never seen them before but the consistency is not there and this team is still lacking an identity of how the want to play and after the Georgia and Spain game it shows now more then ever.  

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 2

14 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

True but losing out those two points could be costly. I still think we can get beat Sweden if JVS gets it right vs Kosovo and we have a fully fit squad to choose from. Georgia at home can get a result vs Sweden. It may very well come down to the last match day with Greece home to Kosovo and Sweden at Spain..

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

I can't go back on what i said before the qualifiers (others did as well) which is if we drop any points against Georgia or Kosovo we have NO chance at finishing 2nd. Yes Georgia gave Sweden and Spain a tough match but at the end of the day both those teams found a way to secure 3 points because that's what good teams do and we couldn't. Greece is now 4 points behind Sweden and we have both played 2 matches. There is no guarantee Spain take all 6 points from Sweden in fact I can see Sweden getting two draws but the most important factor is I can't see Greece beating Sweden to gain any ground, at most I can see a draw. It's like JVS didn't trust what he's been preaching its almost like he watched tapes from the Georgia game and had his team playing more scared not to concede then rather play high tempo that allowed us to create chances against teams like Slovenia and Kosovo (even though we didn't score we had chances). I have not been a hater or a huge supporter of JVS but i wanted to give him time to prove himself and he has done good things as there have been games where Greece were attacking and creating like I've never seen them before but the consistency is not there and this team is still lacking an identity of how the want to play and after the Georgia and Spain game it shows now more then ever.  

That draw was a huge let down I still can’t believe how the team played that poorly in such a important match.Will see what happens in September & how Sweden will look after the Euros, fatigue, injuries etc. Georgia are a team on the rise they are unlucky not to have 7 points. They will get something from Sweden at home but we have to go to Georgia and win. 
As for Sweden vs Spain maybe Sweden can get a draw at home but I don’t see Spain losing any games in this group and they have there 65 game unbeaten run in World Cup qualifying that they will try to extend.

JVS had us playing very fluid when he took over, we even had a good performance in Italy in a match we could have got something out of. He needs to drop Bakasetas from the starting 11 everyone can see this why not him?

Also the RB issue has to be addressed and we will be much better. 

• Like it 2

18 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

I’m not a JVS fan or a hater. But I don’t understand a lot of you guys. When he picked the starters, everyone loved the lineup. Now after the draw, everyone hates it. You can’t love it before the game, and hate it when it doesn’t work out. 

I never liked his starting 11s. In the beginning I was optimistic. I saw us play good football for a change and at a good pace. But as time went on and especially in the nations league we have looked poor. JVS hasn’t learned anything from his failure in the nations league and is continuously sabotaging the team by starting Bakakis/Mavrias and Bakasetas.

It’s absolutely mind boggling that Bakasetas is captain. He doesn’t suit the team. I don’t know why he likes Bakasetas so much... Playing 2 defensive midfielders against Georgia is unacceptable aswell. I don’t have a good feeling for this WCQ campaign. I believe it’s over. His player selections and in game management have been really poor. He’s giving undeserving and out of form players more time on the field. 

He hasn’t got good man management skills and hasn’t studied any of our inform RBs like Kotsiras, Masouras and Kitsiou. We have the players to be successful in my opinion but we need to find a coach who knows who they are and understands them. We lack good midfielders. Ninis, statistically is the best passer in the Greek league. He has been playing really well lately. But is not in the team. He needs to bring back Fetfa aswell. We need Skill, skill, skill. 

• Like it 1

On 4/2/2021 at 1:37 PM, kbxk508 said:

You can tell the type of coach JVS is by the selections he makes. Bakasetas, Bakakis, Mavrias, Svarnas, Tzavellas, Bouchalakis, Kourbelis and Stafylidis. These players aren’t good enough and will not take us to a World Cup. If he can understand that then maybe there’s a chance we can go to the World Cup. But he hasn’t learned anything. He makes the same mistakes and doesn’t trust in his players. We need an experienced coach who can evolve the team and that has won a few trophies. Who also understands our players. When we get that coach, I don’t know.

• Like it 1

Seeing this team play Spain and Georgia it looks like they lack balls, seriously.

We blew it with Kosovo and Slovenia in NL. We dropped 2 points with Georgia now. If we drop points with Kosovo it’s over.

6 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I never liked his starting 11s. In the beginning I was optimistic. I saw us play good football for a change and at a good pace. But as time went on and especially in the nations league we have looked poor. JVS hasn’t learned anything from his failure in the nations league and is continuously sabotaging the team by starting Bakakis/Mavrias and Bakasetas.

It’s absolutely mind boggling that Bakasetas is captain. He doesn’t suit the team. I don’t know why he likes Bakasetas so much... Playing 2 defensive midfielders against Georgia is unacceptable aswell. I don’t have a good feeling for this WCQ campaign. I believe it’s over. His player selections and in game management have been really poor. He’s giving undeserving and out of form players more time on the field. 

He hasn’t got good man management skills and hasn’t studied any of our inform RBs like Kotsiras, Masouras and Kitsiou. We have the players to be successful in my opinion but we need to find a coach who knows who they are and understands them. We lack good midfielders. Ninis, statistically is the best passer in the Greek league. He has been playing really well lately. But is not in the team. He needs to bring back Fetfa aswell. We need Skill, skill, skill. 

I agree with everything you said. the one thing i did like about JVS at the beginning is he gave more young guys a chance when he first came in but that seemed to stop and he stuck with a guys that have no business playing. I read an article about Ninis the other day saying he may get another chance to play for the NT. I think i would also bring back Fetfa if not as a starter i think he could be used as a bench option to add a spark to the team. Bakasetas is to JVS what Tziolis was to Skibbe  Those guys have no business starting. At most Bakasetas should be coming in off the bench when the team needs to close out a game and nothing more. I really don't know what the answer is anymore I'm so frustrated with this team. We know there is no other high end coach that will come here so maybe you get a younger Greek coach that knows the players. 

• Like it 2

13 hours ago, Dean97 said:

You can tell the type of coach JVS is by the selections he makes. Bakasetas, Bakakis, Mavrias, Svarnas, Tzavellas, Bouchalakis, Kourbelis and Stafylidis. These players aren’t good enough and will not take us to a World Cup. If he can understand that then maybe there’s a chance we can go to the World Cup. But he hasn’t learned anything. He makes the same mistakes and doesn’t trust in his players. We need an experienced coach who can evolve the team and that has won a few trophies. Who also understands our players. When we get that coach, I don’t know.

Will see what happens in the remaining 6 games. Skibbe had a lot of downfalls as well with some of his selections but at least he got us to the World Cup playoffs and we lost to a very strong Croatia team.

Stop asking on a LB to play RB. They re not as experienced as Toro was when he did that at Roma. Playing on the wrong foot means u can mostly pass inside and not on your wingman, and it means you need to cut the opponent wingman with your wrong foot (same thing that Mavrias tried to do when we conceded, because he tried to cut inside). Bakakis wouldn't be much better. For me the blame is mostly on Limnios who, knows that kid is talented, stays up front even after we re 1-0 up. 
The lineup wasn't bad. I repeat. If you exclude the fact that we do miss Manolas and Siovas, the line-up wasnt bad. The players just were ordered to play calmly which ended up in giving Georgians psychology and thoughts of attacking, which did happen. They played with 1 DM. A 36 year old who was running up and down the pitch 3 days before out match vs Spain. We never really gve them the chance to face our offence without being organized.  Even on that Tzolis shot (our best chance), they were all were they should be, but the difference in the team power showed. The run of Giannoulis was unexpected and Tziolis was not marked properly. 

If we managed to find space to do that one or two more times it coulda been a whole different match from halftime.

Coach killed it. I dont wanna hear about our players being s%$#! when our competition is Georgia.

We were playing vs a team whose wonderstar is playing in a midtable-bottomtier Russian team. Giannoulis, Pavlidis, Fortounis, Bouchalakis, Siopis, Tzavellas, Vlachodimos, Limnios, Masouras, Zeka, Bakasetas, Pelkas all play at similar or better teams. 

The players we have, (it was me who mentioned it before and I was referred to in some previous comment i think from @AEK RE GAMOTO) are not the next ronaldinhos. When the opposition defenders are:
DM: French Ligue 2 midtable team - Valencienes

DM: La Lig Segunda division - prelast team- Cartagena - hasn't had a match in 2021.

LB: Backup  LB/LM in a midtable Austrian team.  Wolfsberger AC. Trashed 1-8 in the round of 32 of Europa.  He only played a bit as sub.

RB: Backup RB in a midtable La Liga Segunda division - Tenerife - had 10 matches whole season.

CB: Dvali is actually their second best player after that wingerkid. He plays in the hungarian league champions who made it to the C.L. this year.

CB: The other CB returned to Europe (Dinamo Tsibili of Georgia- friendly reminder for the Paok fans they played vs them in the qualifiers in 2017 and beat them 5-0 on aggrogate) from MLS. Hasn't played a match in 2021.

Goalkeeper: I remember that guy from Olympiakos I actually liked him. He currently plays at Anorthosis in Cyprus. Solid goalie, but mot of his free kicks or γιώμες were taken by our players.

You can make sure that our players are enough to defeat them. The tactics were the problem. Talking about Tsimikas instead of Giannoulis wasn't gonna solve the problem. Playing attack, will.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

Torosidis played at left back for the Ethniki since he debuted in 2007, long before he ever moved to Roma. He was 22 so I'm not sure your experience argument holds up. Toro was only moved to his natural right back once Rehhagel left and Santos took over post 2010 World Cup. 

We don't know if Tsimikas would fail or not at right back, there are challenges with playing on your opposite side as you have correctly pointed out. If JVS is going to insist on Mavrias as the no.2 right back and not consider other options, 10/10 times I would rather see Tsimikas playing on his weak side. 

• Like it 4

30 minutes ago, paokarag4 said:

Torosidis played at left back for the Ethniki since he debuted in 2007, long before he ever moved to Roma. He was 22 so I'm not sure your experience argument holds up. Toro was only moved to his natural right back once Rehhagel left and Santos took over post 2010 World Cup. 

We don't know if Tsimikas would fail or not at right back, there are challenges with playing on your opposite side as you have correctly pointed out. If JVS is going to insist on Mavrias as the no.2 right back and not consider other options, 10/10 times I would rather see Tsimikas playing on his weak side. 

I cant disagree on u that Id have Tsimikas or Kyriakopoulos or Lykogiannis as RB instead of even Bakakis. We have serie A left backs. One should be able to perform better than Mavrias and even Bakakis ifu ask me.

• Like it 1

I was listening to Mourinho talk about Tottenham players getting the ball in the middle of the field and pass is back to defense then back to the goalkeeper creates instability which gives confidence to the opposition. Then I was reflecting on our games with Georgia and Spain and the amount of times we did that.

• Like it 1

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • 2 months later...
On 7/12/2021 at 8:57 AM, HellasLEAF said:

I really hope the NT figures it out and somehow qualifies for WC.  It has been so disappointing not participating in the tournaments. 

Its going to be very difficult that draw against Georgia might have ended our chances. Spain and Sweden looked pretty good at the Euros. Dropping points against Kosovo or Georgia will end our campaign as i cant see Sweden or Spain dropping points to those teams.

• Like it 1

On 7/20/2021 at 8:22 AM, J1078 said:

Its going to be very difficult that draw against Georgia might have ended our chances. Spain and Sweden looked pretty good at the Euros. Dropping points against Kosovo or Georgia will end our campaign as i cant see Sweden or Spain dropping points to those teams.

That was a tough result after Greece took basically a huge bonus point in Spain and then we gave away 2 points to Georgia. Spain looked very sharp at the Euros they outplayed Italy for large portions of that semi final and we’re scoring a ton of goals in the last few games. We have to hope Spain beat Sweden twice and Greece beat Sweden two times starting with our home match in September. No question it will be a tough ask but I think we will see Greece at its best vs Sweden I am more concerned about the game in Georgia.

• Like it 1