Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Spain - Greece (25 Mar. 2021 - Nuevo Estadio de Los Cármenes, Granada)

Euro04Kings

41 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

I don't know why anybody would celebrate with what they saw today. Yes, Greece did get a tie, but they are a pitiful team. Nothing to like, nothing to root for. Greece needs a LOT of work just to start resembling a competent team.  Εθνική Κωλοπετινίτσας would be the right term to assess this performance.

What did you think our gameplan was gonna be? Really, take a minute and think. Did you think we could attack Spain consistently? Do you really think we have world class players who can do that? JVS had a gameplan to absorb pressure and hit them on the counter. We did that in the first half. We had two counter chances that didn’t work but besides their goal and crossbar they didn’t do anything except keep possession. You really don’t think we should be happy about this result? Against one of the best teams in the world , just months after we s%$#! the bed in national league. Please go back to playing Fifa on rookie mode.

• Thanks 3

What is wrong with some of you? Of course it wasn’t a pretty performance but when Greece was making tournaments regularly they were never playing pretty football they would sit back and defend like crazy Against inferior opponents and then try to catch a team on the counter. This is Spain we are not in the same class as Spain how many chances did you think we were going to get against the world class team like Spain? Why don’t you guys look at the positives we only allowed three shots on target to a team that just put six behind Germany. So much negativity on here. This is a performance to build on why don’t you guys go back and look when the last time we lost a competitive game, we are on a pretty good run and this draw against the world class opponent is a huge confidence booster for this team. Did you guys think we were going to come out and play all out attacking football against Spain? If so then your expectations are not realistic. There’s always room for improvement of course but we don’t have the quality of players to play pretty football against world class teams and if that’s what you guys are expecting then you need to come back down to earth.

Edited by J1078
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ellada2004 said:

Well said I think they are xeni! 😆 To bad gals we just tied in Spain! Your USA or Canada would have ate 7 goals lol

Not with Alfonso Davies of Bayern Munich back there. You heard of him? 

A few things I got from today’s fantastic result. 

1. That’s why JVS is a coach and we’re in here posting. He knows a lot more about the sport than all of us put together, and knows a lot about his players tactics than we do. 

2. My dog could’ve went in goal for both teams and the game would still be 1 1. 

3. Siopis has to be about 5 ft 1

4 tzavellas has the worst haircut I’ve seen. 

and last but not least. We tied!!! End of story. 

• Like it 2

The class difference between the players of Spain and Greece is huge.  That much should be obvious.  Even if we wanted to play an attacking game with more possession the current players are simply not capable of doing it.  I would be surprised if they could string 3 or 4 passes together before they succumbed to pressure and turned the ball over.  I don't think any manager could have played this game any other way really.  Sure you could change the formation and the starting 11 but ultimately you know, no matter what, Spain are going to have lots more chances than Greece and will possess minimum 70% of the ball.  You pray for a bit of luck with Spain's finishing and pray for a bit of luck with the few counter attack chances you get.  It is what it is.

Maybe in a generation ... or three ... Greece might change its football philosophy and produce more technical players but right now we are very far behind.  In the late 1990's, early 2000's we had some very good players.  They were still not as good as the players from the "big" countries but the gap in class between them wasn't as large as it is today.  Greek football has regressed.

As to the result, it is a very good one.  That point could be critical and gives the players some reward for the efforts.

• Like it 3

6 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

A few things I got from today’s fantastic result. 

1. That’s why JVS is a coach and we’re in here posting. He knows a lot more about the sport than all of us put together, and knows a lot about his players tactics than we do. 

2. My dog could’ve went in goal for both teams and the game would still be 1 1. 

3. Siopis has to be about 5 ft 1

4 tzavellas has the worst haircut I’ve seen. 

and last but not least. We tied!!! End of story. 

Speaking of Tzavellas why is his jersey so tight but his shorts are so baggy.

I am not gonna complain too much who am I kidding of course I am. Look I am happy we got the point and I understand we were going to have to play defensively to get anything out of the match but that was really pathetic going forward. Bouchalkis does nothing at ALL. Mantalos also did nothing. Bakasetas scored the penalty which is great also did nothing. Limnios one of his worst NT performance. Positive for me was Tzolis who has to start if you are going to play that defensive his speed for countering comes in handy, also how fast is Llorente he caught him on that break somehow wow. Also if you are gonna set up to absorb pressure and break why is Fortounis not starting when he actually had the ability to to dribble and pick out a pass.  Giakoumakis is on pace to break the dutch league scoring record doesn't start. Also Bakakis did okay but we need to find a new RB asap. Papadopoulos did well id start him with Mavropanos going forward. Though Angelos Van Skibbe did actually make decent subs hes gotta put a better 11ada out there. Its not like we would of been hemmed in our own half any longer if we actually had some attacking threat out there. Masouras provides nothing he is a poor mans Salpigidis.

• Like it 1

Ive now watched this game again and have been celebrating since the result. A lot of us including me were critical of the XI but everyone played for the shirt today and gave max effort in playing their role. Tzavellas and Papadopoulos were the experience needed and Tsimikas played great. Bakakis also played well and you really cant fault him as that Morata run was just perfect. Lets hope we continue the great results. Bakasettas actually had some really important clearences in the box and I have to concede JVS knew what he was doing. Limnios got way too cute out there trying to show up Ramos but hes the only player i wasent thrilled with. All smiles for Greels today on an important day for us.

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Jimmyp said:

Not with Alfonso Davies of Bayern Munich back there. You heard of him? 

Heard of him good back but the US puts 5 in on them and even mighty Haiti got 3 in the gold cup and sent Canada out..

Against Spain the goals would be flying in...

2 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Heard of him good back but the US puts 5 in on them and even mighty Haiti got 3 in the gold cup and sent Canada out..

Against Spain the goals would be flying in...

Maybe. You’re correct. But that’s one player I’d love to have. One of the best in the world. Easily. And only 20

55 minutes ago, Euro04Kings said:

Ive now watched this game again and have been celebrating since the result. A lot of us including me were critical of the XI but everyone played for the shirt today and gave max effort in playing their role. Tzavellas and Papadopoulos were the experience needed and Tsimikas played great. Bakakis also played well and you really cant fault him as that Morata run was just perfect. Lets hope we continue the great results. Bakasettas actually had some really important clearences in the box and I have to concede JVS knew what he was doing. Limnios got way too cute out there trying to show up Ramos but hes the only player i wasent thrilled with. All smiles for Greels today on an important day for us.

I did not like the exclusion of Fortounis and Giakoumakis from the starting eleven but JVS had a plan and his second half subs were excellent. Bakakis made a lot of tough clearances and threw a few nice slide tackles in as well. Great team performance to come out of Spain with a result!!

• Like it 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

Maybe. You’re correct. But that’s one player I’d love to have. One of the best in the world. Easily. And only 20

He is very good. I just wish he did not play for Bayern I have never liked them but they are one of the top all time clubs of world football..

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, CPAO said:

Speaking of Tzavellas why is his jersey so tight but his shorts are so baggy.

I am not gonna complain too much who am I kidding of course I am. Look I am happy we got the point and I understand we were going to have to play defensively to get anything out of the match but that was really pathetic going forward. Bouchalkis does nothing at ALL. Mantalos also did nothing. Bakasetas scored the penalty which is great also did nothing. Limnios one of his worst NT performance. Positive for me was Tzolis who has to start if you are going to play that defensive his speed for countering comes in handy, also how fast is Llorente he caught him on that break somehow wow. Also if you are gonna set up to absorb pressure and break why is Fortounis not starting when he actually had the ability to to dribble and pick out a pass.  Giakoumakis is on pace to break the dutch league scoring record doesn't start. Also Bakakis did okay but we need to find a new RB asap. Papadopoulos did well id start him with Mavropanos going forward. Though Angelos Van Skibbe did actually make decent subs hes gotta put a better 11ada out there. Its not like we would of been hemmed in our own half any longer if we actually had some attacking threat out there. Masouras provides nothing he is a poor mans Salpigidis.

Against Georgia I HOPE JVS will start Fortounis, Giakoumakis and Tzolis. Mantalos should not be starting. Georgia will most likely sit back and Greece will have to break them down with some nice ball movement and will need a good finisher like Giakoumakis out there.

I did what I said I would do if we don't lose. I ran around the block in my birthday suit. No-one seemed to worry about it.

Imagine Fortounis got on, we may have jagged another.

Go the JVS Pirates!!

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

The result is what was important. You could see what it meant to the players at the end of the match. This team will fight hard to get a chance at making the WC.

Greece has now gone 10 official matches undefeated, 6W and 4D. Hopefully getting a draw helps also climb up the FIFA rankings.

• Like it 1

I just saw that in World Cup & Euro qualifying since 2003 Spain at home have only dropped points on 5 occasions and Greece have taking points twice from them. with yesterdays draw and the 1 nil win there in Zaragoza in 2003. Very impressive.

• Like it 2

Havent seen the NT play so shitte since 2008 i ve been a consistent follower but goddamn we got the point and that's all what we should care for. This puts pressure to Sweden to have to beat us or have better goal difference than us. No way the Spanish , in the middle of the groupstage, drop another point. Another positive : Sweden winning by 1 goal only.

The defence mechanism of the team was unreal, but realisticlly we didn't play football. We played [don't-let-the-opponent-play-football]ball. 

Tsimikas - Tziolis Left Flank can look competitive with open spaces.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

This seems to have been a good defensive performance, given that Spain apparently didnt have many chances. (I couldnt watch the game, I saw the highlights on Youtube.)

Was Bakasetas really horrible? His penalty kick was much better than his attempt against Kosovo.

Edited by La Mendel

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic