Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Spain - Greece (25 Mar. 2021 - Nuevo Estadio de Los Cármenes, Granada)

Euro04Kings

Not sure what it was listed as but that match Greece played with 5 center backs on the pitch. A back 3 of Kyrgiakos/Moras/Avraam, Vyntra at right back and Sokratis man marking Messi. Essentially it was a 5-4-1 with no wingers and one striker on the pitch, it was one of the most defensive performances I've ever seen from a team and we literally had one decent chance to counter and snatch a goal. 

It's not so much the formation but how you counter when you win the ball back, do you break in numbers, or do you hoof a long ball to an isolated striker and hope for a miracle. Greece in 2010 did the latter, I suspect Greece in 2021 will be looking to counter with numbers and actually create something when given the opportunity. 

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, nasl said:

4‑1‑4‑1

this was the formation otto had us play against argentina

when we lost 2-0 in 2010 but we stayed in the game until late in the 2nd half.

Anybody think this formation against spain could work , or is it too defensive.

I was thinking about what formation JVS will use, will he go ultra defensive? Or does JVS plan to play his usual formation and high pressing style? 

I recently watched portions of that game and I remember Sokratis was just totally shadowing Messi and he was getting really irritated as it seemed to work for most the match. Messi hit the post once and they eventually scored  but Samaras had that one great chance to put us up 1 nil in the 2nd half but his shot just went wide of target.

• Lazarus changed the title to 2022 WCQ: Spain - Greece (25 Mar. 2021 - Nuevo Estadio de Los Cármenes, Granada)
6 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

Looks like Gianoulis got injured on the weekend and is in danger of missing Spain

https://m.sport24.gr/football/farke-mporei-na-min-taxidepsei-stin-ellada-o-giannoylis-alla-na-meinei-stin-agglia.9177021.html

Thats a real bummer and its a shame that manolas or sokratis wouldent offer to step up in light of both of him and Hatzadiakos being hurt.....but im past caring about them at this point and we have to move on.

Otherwise it looked like we has a healthy sunday at least as a few of our guys like Fortunis & Vlachadimos rested on the bench for their clubs. I dident see under what circumstances tziolis and Bouchalakis were subbed early for....... zeca, Giakoumakis , Pavlidis , mantalos all played full games it looks like. 

On a side note I cant wait for Giokoumakis to leave Venlo....they are so bad. He'll prob play a big part in their relegation playoff because its looking like it may come to that if they continue on their path. I saw he was frustrated at the end and took a yellow....hes the one guy we absolutly need to have....especially for Georgia

Edited by Euro04Kings
Spelling
  • Like it 2

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

With the current injuries and without Manolas joining the team i fear this game may get out of hand early for us..

I dont know about that. I feel these two injuries are kind of absorbable...but like I said id feel more easy if manolas stepped up. 

For instance i dont think the dropoff is that bad between Giannoulis and say tzmikas or kyriakopoulos like i have in my original starting lineup. Yes Giannoulias was much more match ready than Tzimikas appearence wise as Tzimikas barely saw the field....but i still trust him .Right back was prob our bigger problem (still might be , thats the glaring hole i still see) JVS needs to at least consider Rota imo.

Also just plug in Mavropanos and Kyriakos Papadoplous at CB instead of Hatzidiakos ....also not a crazy drop. If anything it probobly added clarity to the starting XI.

Had we lost anything in the midfield like Zeca or Fortunis or even Gianakopolos i would be beside myself right now.

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, Euro04Kings said:

I dont know about that. I feel these two injuries are kind of absorbable...but like I said id feel more easy if manolas stepped up. 

For instance i dont think the dropoff is that bad between Giannoulis and say tzmikas or kyriakopoulos like i have in my original starting lineup. Yes Giannoulias was much more match ready than Tzimikas appearence wise as Tzimikas barely saw the field....but i still trust him .Right back was prob our bigger problem (still might be , thats the glaring hole i still see) JVS needs to at least consider Rota imo.

Also just plug in Mavropanos and Kyriakos Papadoplous at CB instead of Hatzidiakos ....also not a crazy drop. If anything it probobly added clarity to the starting XI.

Had we lost anything in the midfield like Zeca or Fortunis or even Gianakopolos i would be beside myself right now.

Right back is our biggest issue at the moment. I was listening to the Gate 7 podcast the other day and one of the hosts was so ticked off at JVS that he left Sokratis and Manolas off the NT. He said that JVS has no intention on having both of them come back into the team in the next international window and he sarcastically said that he prefers to have the great Tzavellas on the NT who is a premier back in the Turkish Super League lol.. 

I just hope JVS comes to his senses and reaches out and begs them to come back to the Ethniki for the next round of games.

• Like it 2

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

With the current injuries and without Manolas joining the team i fear this game may get out of hand early for us..

Let’s hope we hold them of the scoresheet for as long as possible and  hope we can get a nil nil draw. That would be a fantastic result.

I was just going through these lineups and geez. I see Volos aek. Vvv etc. On one side. The other I see man city, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc. On paper it’s a pure mismatch. But, the game isnt played on paper. One thing is Spain is a little weak up top. Maybe we can hold them to 0 0. 

• Like it 1

10 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

I saw that....evens it out about since no Hatzadiakos or Giannoulias...they called up Bakakis just now to fill in which I originally predicted....i just know hes starting Mavrias at this point now which kind of sucks but whatever

I don't know how JVS plans to approach this game as its not his style to just sit back. I think he will play more defensively but he will also give the green light to his players to attack as well rather then parking the bus.

6 hours ago, Euro04Kings said:

I saw that....evens it out about since no Hatzadiakos or Giannoulias...they called up Bakakis just now to fill in which I originally predicted....i just know hes starting Mavrias at this point now which kind of sucks but whatever

You think losing hatzidakos is even as losing Ramos? Wanna buy a bridge? Lol

Hellas 2 Spain 1 

Kiriakos and Mavro are good enough with Svarnas and Turkey's competition's best CB Tzavellas as back up at CB for the Ethniki.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 2

21 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

UEFA.TV has the rights for Canada. TLN also has the rights for Portugal, Italy and Spain, but will not be showing the Spain - Greece game.

Full TV schedule here: https://www.facebook.com/Greeksoccerontv

I'm in Canada and I have the UEFA.TV app.

It is listing several qualifiers but sadly, not the Hellas - Spain match, which is BS in my opinion...

Hopefully it gets added.

57 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

I woke up with a hunch that the back 4 will be Tsimikas - Mavropanos - Kyriakos - Bakakis

if they re 5 we ll probably have to endure Svarnas in there as well.

That would be stellar...would love Bakakis over Mavrias....im like 65 percent sure hell go with mavrias though. Your backline is the best we have atm and how they should set up.

5 hours ago, AEK RE GAMOTO said:

I'm in Canada and I have the UEFA.TV app.

It is listing several qualifiers but sadly, not the Hellas - Spain match, which is BS in my opinion...

Hopefully it gets added.

Same here I’m in Toronto and I keep looking at the UEFA TV app I’m hoping it will get updated by tomorrow since qualifiers start tomorrow so I’m gonna keep an eye on it to see if they have all of tomorrow’s games, if they do then they should add the Greece game on Thursday. Usually UEFA will add the games even the same day sometimes.

• Like it 1

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic