Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Spain - Greece (25 Mar. 2021 - Nuevo Estadio de Los Cármenes, Granada)

Euro04Kings

6 minutes ago, Euro04Kings said:

Looks like the most recent updates are that Kyriakopoulos Papadopolous and Kapino are returning to the squad for spain says JVS on Greek tv. Manolas and Sokratis declined call ups and wint play. Chatzadiakos suffered a knee injury for AZ in the dutch league 2 days ago so i guess we need Papadopoulos now. Giamkoumakis sat out Venlo's last 2 games with a nagging groin injury but hopefully he returns to action for them tomorrow and Venlo already  said he got the obvious call up. Hopefully its quiet injury wise the next two weeks since losing chatzadiakos is not ideal

I posted this on the starting line up section, there was a small discussion.

• Like it 1

32 minutes ago, Euro04Kings said:

Looks like the most recent updates are that Kyriakopoulos Papadopolous and Kapino are returning to the squad for spain says JVS on Greek tv. Manolas and Sokratis declined call ups and wint play. Chatzadiakos suffered a knee injury for AZ in the dutch league 2 days ago so i guess we need Papadopoulos now. Giamkoumakis sat out Venlo's last 2 games with a nagging groin injury but hopefully he returns to action for them tomorrow and Venlo already  said he got the obvious call up. Hopefully its quiet injury wise the next two weeks since losing chatzadiakos is not ideal

Chatzidakos is made of glass. Geez. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

I disagree on Papadopoulos call-up. Guy plays in a bottom feeder Croatian League team. He is san ti miga mes to gala but I see no competition to justify his call-up. I'd rather see some youngster from Atromitos or Asteras than him.

Papadopoulos on his day is very solid. He can even score. I haven’t seen him lately but he hasn’t been called up for no reason.

The selections have been announced and all make sence to me. Id have swapped Tzevallas and Mavrias for Rota and maybe Bakakis like i indicated for speed. Mavrias and Tzevallas'  inclusion was predictable in light of JVS' familiarity with them but hopefully they get no playing time. Was good to see Chatzadiakos included for Georgia, I guess they figure hell be healthy enough by that 2nd game. Good callout whoever pointed out his red because I totally forgot that they carried over between competitions. 

I agree with all the call ups only with the exception of Tzevallas and Mavrias and am excited for these games. If Mavrias plays a little thats ok as long as he dosent start but well see

1 hour ago, Euro04Kings said:

The selections have been announced and all make sence to me. Id have swapped Tzevallas and Mavrias for Rota and maybe Bakakis like i indicated for speed. Mavrias and Tzevallas'  inclusion was predictable in light of JVS' familiarity with them but hopefully they get no playing time. Was good to see Chatzadiakos included for Georgia, I guess they figure hell be healthy enough by that 2nd game. Good callout whoever pointed out his red because I totally forgot that they carried over between competitions. 

I agree with all the call ups only with the exception of Tzevallas and Mavrias and am excited for these games. If Mavrias plays a little thats ok as long as he dosent start but well see

Mavrias is being called because we have no other Right Backs. Not even one. Androutsos is gonna be given his chance but they re both bad. No player from GSL is game changer. Also a team like Greece has no need for something as Speed on fullbacks, as we re mostly defending with counter attacks or organized attacks with control. There is small chance that our defence is deorganized, the problem is that the Spanish talent is so big, compared to ours, that even the perfectly organized defence can end up in us conceding, especially when they are in no danger as we can't attack forward.

• Like it 1

Also for anyone in the states it looms like both games are on ESPN plus....so you can get a $7 subscription for the month and just cancel if thats what you want to do. Well worth it for 2 games imo. Especially the spain game.

Also in reponse to the Mavrias thing i still stand by wanting to see a bakakis /rota combo at rb ....but well see how everything goes.

Again im happy with the squad selection and dont see glaring omissions

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Euro04Kings said:

The squad looks good. With the exception of Tzavellas getting the call up.

It will be a very difficult first match vs Spain, lets hope we can get out of there with a draw as we did vs Belgium a few years ago on Greek Independence day! PA ME ELLADA!!

• Like it 1

46 minutes ago, Euro04Kings said:

Also for anyone in the states it looms like both games are on ESPN plus....so you can get a $7 subscription for the month and just cancel if thats what you want to do. Well worth it for 2 games imo. Especially the spain game.

Or use a VPN and watch it on OPEN TV with Greek commentary.

18 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

Does the red carry over from the previous nations league?

Hmm, this it what it says in the Regulations

49.01 As a rule, a player or a team official sent off from the field of play and/or its immediate surrounds, including the technical area, is automatically suspended for the next match in the competition. In case of serious offences, the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body is entitled to augment this punishment, including by extending it to other competitions.

I’m not sure now, but I think he’s suspended

Edited by kbxk508

Vlachodimos

Giannoulis, Mavropanos

Zeka Bouchalakis

Giakoumakis Pelkas Bakasetas

seem like they re gonna be starters for sure. there are 3 ? left. 

CB,RB, 3rd midfielder (either a 10 like Fortounis or a DM like Siopis) or winger, based on where  Bakasetas plays. 

I have no idea for the ? spots.

Hatzidiakos now out with the knee injury i talked about before callups were announced. Not really suprising.....haha does JVS talk to his players before announcing callups lol, even I knew he wouldent be fit a week ago...maybe they thaught he could play through it?

Wonder who gets his spot. 

• Like it 1

He had a nasty kick by Steven Berghuis of Feyenoord two weeks ago. Should have been red but Berghuis got away with it. Hatzidiakos tried. Even played but it got worse. He was eager to play, maybe too eager, and paid for it. The Ethniki has to move on now. Looking forward not back.

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Eagle said:

He had a nasty kick by Steven Berghuis of Feyenoord two weeks ago. Should have been red but Berghuis got away with it. Hatzidiakos tried. Even played but it got worse. He was eager to play, maybe too eager, and paid for it. The Ethniki has to move on now. Looking forward not back.

That sucks. We cant catch a break with injuries to key players over the last few campaigns.

4‑1‑4‑1

this was the formation otto had us play against argentina

when we lost 2-0 in 2010 but we stayed in the game until late in the 2nd half.

Anybody think this formation against spain could work , or is it too defensive.

• Like it 2

• Lazarus changed the title to 2022 WCQ: Spain - Greece (25 Mar. 2021 - Nuevo Estadio de Los Cármenes, Granada)
  • Lazarus unfeatured this topic