Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Spain - Greece (25 Mar. 2021 - Nuevo Estadio de Los Cármenes, Granada)

Euro04Kings

So I would imagine - Giakoumakis/Pavlidis/Douvikas??  I think that makes sense giving that Giakoumakis has been tearing it up and Pavlidis has been playing well even though he hasn't scored as much as last year.  A call up at least allows him to try him out with all the players. Let them practice together and see what happens.

Giakoumakis is scoring in Holland I believe. Anyone can score there as we seen with PSV. Douvikas plays for Volos. Speaks for itself. I would like to see tzolis up front.  I think he has the Messi type game to play striker even though he’s on the smaller side. 

39 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

Giakoumakis is scoring in Holland I believe. Anyone can score there as we seen with PSV. Douvikas plays for Volos. Speaks for itself. I would like to see tzolis up front.  I think he has the Messi type game to play striker even though he’s on the smaller side. 

A few quick things I respectfully disagaree with here @Jimmyp

While on average goals scored per match in the Erdevise is on the high side compared with other top European leagues.....Giakoumakis plays for Venlo. Goals are hard to come by for such a bad team. It cannot be overstated how monumental and important Giokoumakis' season has been thus far. He may single handedly be keeping VVV Velo from relegation (just barely). 

(Erdevise is on par with Serie a for goals scored in 19-20 and wed still regard a top scorer from there highly.)

Also Ill take him being in the company of other top goalscorers over the years from Erdevise:

Suarez

Dost 

De jong/Tadic

And depay. 

Vs the top goalscorers for the Super League. 

He has to be the starter

• Like it 2

4 hours ago, J1078 said:

That seems to make the most sense, I would put Douvikas in front of Pavilidis right now as he has been great. Pavlidis has had multiple opportunities with the NT and he hasn't impressed to be honest.

I haven’t seen that much of Douvikas at Volos only a couple of games this season. Pavlidis started of well with the Ethniki when he was first called up during the Euro qualifiers but he has struggled in his last appearances during the NL. Giakoumakis is tearing it up so he’s a shoe in. What’s going on with Fountas is he injured? Personally I am a big fan of his style of play.
JVS just better not give Koulouris a call up..

• Like it 2

23 minutes ago, Euro04Kings said:

A few quick things I respectfully disagaree with here @Jimmyp

While on average goals scored per match in the Erdevise is on the high side compared with other top European leagues.....Giakoumakis plays for Venlo. Goals are hard to come by for such a bad team. It cannot be overstated how monumental and important Giokoumakis' season has been thus far. He may single handedly be keeping VVV Velo from relegation (just barely). 

(Erdevise is on par with Serie a for goals scored in 19-20 and wed still regard a top scorer from there highly.)

Also Ill take him being in the company of other top goalscorers over the years from Erdevise:

Suarez

Dost 

De jong/Tadic

And depay. 

Vs the top goalscorers for the Super League. 

He has to be the starter

Yes the Erdivise teams are known for more attacking style of play and we saw that PSV had there troubles in defence vs Olympiakos. 
Their have been some great strikers come through that league recently as you have listed and you can add Zahavi too that list as well he was tremendous vs Olympiakos and has been prolific for Israel recently as well.

Sokratis although good for Olympiakos and the team's goals is nowhere near his old self. Hasn't been since his year #1 in Arsenal. I  have heard rumours about Manolas and Siovas returning to Ethniki.

For me the lineup is the following. I will explain with detail. 

Vlachodimos

??? - Mavropanos - Manolas - Giannoulis

Zeca - Siopis - Bouchalakis

Tziolis/Limnios - Giakoumakis - Pelkas

Goalie: Vlachodimos is a starter for Benfica until recently, when the coach just decided to rotate. Maybe it was because Odysseas has gotten too many games in a row. Maybe Benfica was doing baddly (not Goalie fault) and he needed to freshen up the line-up ? Probably the 2nd reason is more accurate altho it has not worked out for Benfica. Classes better than Barkas and Dioudis. No other Goalie for picking currently.

RB: Where are we with Baldock? He would be a huge addition. Both physically because he can run up and down the field nonstop in a PL level and not be tired but he is also a , mediocre defensively - good offensively, much better solution than Bakakis who is our #1. If Baldock aint comming, I would prefer to put Limnios there over Bakakis. Noone else left to mention.

CB duo: Mavropanos became a starter of Stuttgard and his team is doing excellent for their budget in Bundesliga. If Manolas returns him and Chatzidiakos are gonna fight for a starting spot. I expect a big possibility of us lining up on a 3 CB scheme where I assume we ll see both. Siovas possibility to rejoin NT could also see him here, as well as Retsos if he is healthy. In my opinion, Chatzidiakos, Mavropanos, Retsos will be the NT future. So far young players like Michailidis, Svarnas don't look like they can cut it. Both losing ground on their clubs.

LB: I would prefer Giannoulis over Tsimikas. Giannoulis has been a starter to Norwich since he joined Championship. Tsimikas rarely plays. Key player. Could have Tsimikas to freshen up the full backs if needed.

Midfield: Either in 3-5-2 or in 4-3-3/4-5-1 We re gonna need 2 holding midfielders. Zeka and Siopis are both  having a lot of playtime in some , above Greek Super League level teams. Was hoping that Samaris would have playtime till now in Benfica but guy is still not fully recovered from his injury. I think hes injured over 1 year. Came back for a small period and back to nowhere to be found. Bouchalakis in my opinion needs to be the 3rd player in the midfield as we start. The reason is similar to Olympiakos. Bouchalakis due to his body can help defensively, he runs a lot of km and has the confidence to try risky passes up front. A lot of time that fails but the guy is one of the few players I see in Greece that will try something hard with small percentage of success. We will need that to an open Spain who will probably try to give a goo show on the MatchDay 1 of the Groups and assert dominance. Another reason is that after 60+ Bouchalakis can be subbed and Fortounis can come in as a super sub. 

Wingers: Pelkas has been having an awesome season in Turkey and thankfully is healthy. definatley needed either as CAM at 4-2-3-1 or a Winger. Tziolis or Limnios on the other wing, altho I would prefer - if there is no Baldock - to have both of them. on the Right Flank.

CF: Giakoumakis has the whole Europe talking about him. Benching him now would be a sin.

• Like it 2

On 2/28/2021 at 8:58 PM, Jimmyp said:

Tzolis on 2 matches vs PSV had the same goals as Bouchalakis. Let's put Bouchalakis as striker.

As for Volos, a couple of years ago Beos said that he is gonna transform Volos and make it Monaco.

Douvikas is playing for Monaco of Greece my friend.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

I have friends who are Portuguese and follow Benfica.  According to them, Vlachodimos  has been used a scapegoat in Benfica.  Apparently the team is having a bad season and the coach needed someone to blame.  He said he dropped him because of a poor performances, specifically citing a game against Sporting I believe (a shot was deflected off him and went it for a goal).  He played the next two games and got clean sheets but that wasn't enough for the coach to make the switch.  The owner came out and said that he didn't understand the reasoning (coach and owner are not getting along).  Most of their fans think that Vlaho is their best goalkeeper by far and are pissed at their coach.

• Like it 2

4 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

I have friends who are Portuguese and follow Benfica.  According to them, Vlachodimos  has been used a scapegoat in Benfica.  Apparently the team is having a bad season and the coach needed someone to blame.  He said he dropped him because of a poor performances, specifically citing a game against Sporting I believe (a shot was deflected off him and went it for a goal).  He played the next two games and got clean sheets but that wasn't enough for the coach to make the switch.  The owner came out and said that he didn't understand the reasoning (coach and owner are not getting along).  Most of their fans think that Vlaho is their best goalkeeper by far and are pissed at their coach.

Well the goalie that played vs Arsenal didn’t look to sharp in there final EL match and Benfica went out.. Vlachodimos is by far the best goalie for the Ethniki. Barkas can come up with some fantastic saves as he did vs Italy in the 3-0 loss were our team couldn’t defend but he is proned to giving up silly goals. 

JVS seems not to care about game time anymore because now he understands what is needed against a powerhouse like Spain. Manolas is still recovering from injury and Sokratis has just started to play. Nothing has been reported about Siovas at the moment but we’ll see in the coming weeks. Our first game is 3 weeks away. The call ups should be announced by next week.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

10 hours ago, Dean97 said:

JVS seems not to care about game time anymore because now he understands what is needed against a powerhouse like Spain. Manolas is still recovering from injury and Sokratis has just started to play. Nothing has been reported about Siovas at the moment but we’ll see in the coming weeks. Our first game is 3 weeks away. The call ups should be announced by next week.

Cant wait to see who JVS calls up to the NT.. 

It will be great to see the Ethniki back in action.

• Like it 1

6 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Cant wait to see who JVS calls up to the NT.. 

It will be great to see the Ethniki back in action.

I've been waiting for so long man I've been itching to see them play again, Can't wait. 

• Like it 4

Manolas though, when fit, does play, and plays at a high level.  Sokratis is playing now and will be getting a lot of minutes with OLY.  Siovas has not been mentioned but I would love for all three of them to be called up along with Mavropanos/Hatzi (we have three games I believe). 

Also, I was curious to see how Bakasetas is doing in Turkey since most of us here are not that crazy about him starting.  So I looked at whoscored.com for player ratings. He is the third highest rated player in their league and is one of the better scorers.  Say what you want about the Turkish league but it is competitive.

• Like it 2

Just read the updated report on Sokratis. Hes declining the call up because he feels he dident get enough playing time at arsenal and has been on to long a layoff. This is a fair enough reason for me. Especially if he dosent have the confidence against Spain in his current form, its the right thing to do. I get it if he feels hed be a liability. I see no reson why he couldent have played vs Georgia though..Oh well maybe he'll be available for future games the further along he gets with Olympiacos....kind of disapointed though

Edited by Euro04Kings
Spelling
  • Like it 1

He should get called up to at least play against Georgia or the friendly to see if he is in good condition. We still have 3 weeks left, maybe he’ll find his confidence and want to play. But I think he’s doing the right thing. If he’s not feeling like he’ll be at his best then wait until future games or play the friendly. 

• Like it 1

JVS probably was looking at Natsos as RB at Peristeri at the match Atromitos - Asteras. Honestly Natsos, at 22, has more playtime than Bakakis ( ofc bakakis was injured and covid, no clue about Natsos' injury history this season) and they both have 1 assist. If the boy is fast as Bakakis is, he can't be worse can he? 

Anyone have any official news with Baldock citizenship? 

• Dutch Eagle changed the title to Spain - Greece (25 March 2021 - World Cup 2022 Qualifier - Nuevo Estadio de Los Cármenes, Granada)

No one knows about Baldock. What about Giannis Masouras? We should try him can’t be worse than Bakakis. Natsos and Kotsiras are decent. Even Kitsiou is doing well. We have options...

Rota looked ok. Seems good on the ball. But I need to see more of him to comment.

1 hour ago, Dean97 said:

No one knows about Baldock. What about Giannis Masouras? We should try him can’t be worse than Bakakis. Natsos and Kotsiras are decent. Even Kitsiou is doing well. We have options...

Rota looked ok. Seems good on the ball. But I need to see more of him to comment.

I have not heard anything about Baldock committing to the Ethniki will see if he will do so and maybe he will be available for the September qualifiers. As for Bakakis we need an upgrade for him at RB. I would much rather see JVS try Masouras there if there are no other options on the table.

When will JVS make the selections for the NT?

5 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

I have not heard anything about Baldock committing to the Ethniki will see if he will do so and maybe he will be available for the September qualifiers. As for Bakakis we need an upgrade for him at RB. I would much rather see JVS try Masouras there if there are no other options on the table.

When will JVS make the selections for the NT?

I’m not sure. It’s usually 2 weeks before the first game.

• Like it 1

Looks like the most recent updates are that Kyriakopoulos Papadopolous and Kapino are returning to the squad for spain says JVS on Greek tv. Manolas and Sokratis declined call ups and wint play. Chatzadiakos suffered a knee injury for AZ in the dutch league 2 days ago so i guess we need Papadopoulos now. Giamkoumakis sat out Venlo's last 2 games with a nagging groin injury but hopefully he returns to action for them tomorrow and Venlo already  said he got the obvious call up. Hopefully its quiet injury wise the next two weeks since losing chatzadiakos is not ideal

Edited by Euro04Kings
Spelling

• Lazarus changed the title to 2022 WCQ: Spain - Greece (25 Mar. 2021 - Nuevo Estadio de Los Cármenes, Granada)
  • Lazarus unfeatured this topic