Phantis Forums

SL1-R21: PAOK - Apollon Smyrnis (07-Feb-21, 15:00 EET)

Blackhawk

Time for Tzolis to see some bench time. I think all the praise has got to his head unfortunately.

We didn't perform once again, therefore we dropped points. I say it every week - this is how football should be. You shouldn't be guaranteed to win each week like the gang from Peiraeus. We are in terrible form but at least we can look ourselves in the mirror and say we don't cheat.

Regarding time wasting, it is all in the game. Apollon came here expecting to lose or snatch a draw. They got their point and will be happy. On the other hand we have so much to improve. We gave Pablo the job now we need to stick with him. Just like Chelsea fans had wet dreams about Lampard. He got given 18 months and was then shown the door. We should not do the same with Garcia.

Garcia's inexperience at top level of the game hurt this team this season. On top of that he does not have help from the front office. We desperately need players at key positions, but instead we bring him Kagawa. Garcia needs everybody's support right now. He should be evaluated at the end of the next season.

Athens4, let's not mention Olympiacos right now.  They are a FAR superior team than us.   We've dropped so many points to so many crappy teams, while they go in and score 3-4 every match with ease.  Have they had a couple questionable results?  Sure.  Was it because they were outperformed? No.   

In a 100% clean league, what would the standings be in your opinion?  Not much different than it is now, I guarantee it.

Todays result was disappointing.  I don't blame Garcia...just like I didn't really blame Ferreira.  You give a guy 2 pieces of bread and a kourada, what do you expect? Beef Wellington or a Kourada sandwich?

I’m tired of people bringing in Olympiakos to the conversation. Agreed with Boston, we can’t compete with them this year, they are far superior. Wouldn’t surprise me to be 20-25 points behind them at the end. That would be embarrassing. They’ve done everything right since our title while we have done almost everything wrong

1 hour ago, BostonThanatos said:

Athens4, let's not mention Olympiacos right now.  They are a FAR superior team than us.   We've dropped so many points to so many crappy teams, while they go in and score 3-4 every match with ease.  Have they had a couple questionable results?  Sure.  Was it because they were outperformed? No.   

In a 100% clean league, what would the standings be in your opinion?  Not much different than it is now, I guarantee it.

1 hour ago, PaokCT said:

I’m tired of people bringing in Olympiakos to the conversation. Agreed with Boston, we can’t compete with them this year, they are far superior. Wouldn’t surprise me to be 20-25 points behind them at the end. That would be embarrassing. They’ve done everything right since our title while we have done almost everything wrong

I believe both of you have misunderstood what my point was. Nobody disagrees with the statement that they have a better team than us. They are better. My point is that even they play terrible they aren't allowed to lose, whereas with us if we don't perform (which haven't all season) we are punished.

Example 1: Sheffield United beat Manchester Utd at home the other week. Would bottom of the league in Greece be able to do that? Larisa got a point against us (which was fair enough) but would they ever win or get a draw against OSFP? It just wouldn't be allowed to happen unless the league was already secured.

Example 2: Look at leagues outside the top 5 - Cyprus and Turkey, for example. This year APOEL is 10th, do you think Olympiakos would ever be 10th? Even if they didn't show up every week they'd definitely be in the top 4. Turkey saw Fener and Galata in lower positions last season. In fact I believe Galata was in the relegation zone at one point. It would never be allowed for Olympiakos to be in relegation zone. 

My point is about turning up and playing. If we don't turn up, we drop points. They don't turn up, they have a 12th man to find a way (not always, however it happens a lot). Were it a "100% clean league" then perhaps the table would indeed look the same though we wouldn't be seeing 10-15 points like we are now. They would have dropped points too.

I think we shouldn’t worry about other teams and worry about ourselves. There has been some results this season that never should happen. My thinking is that if we perform better than we’d be closer. Olympiakos has no reason to be nervous. They could lose their next 4 games and they’d still be at least 5 points up. If we were performing better and giving them a scare then I see them dropping points. Look at Aris. They’re performing as well. Just went into Athena and won 2-0. What has our record been against our rivals lately? I understand that they may get a call here or there, but do you remember at the beginning of the season when we seemed to be getting penalty kicks in the final 10 minutes of games? All I’m saying is this wouldn’t be an issue if we were winning games we were supposed to. 

Beef Wellington or Kourada sandwich, a conundrum.😀

Hate to suggest it but maybe Ferreira was onto something with playing 3 at the back.  We leak so many goals.  It’s reminiscent of the team pre Lucescu when the opposition would pass the half way line we’d have heart attacks.  The level of all our defenders with the exception of Ingasson has dropped - regardless of the excuses/reasons.  If Garcia sticks with 2 in the middle I don’t see this changing with the current squad.  Seriously lacking a number 6 who shields the defence and covers ground.

2 hours ago, PaokCT said:

I understand that they may get a call here or there, but do you remember at the beginning of the season when we seemed to be getting penalty kicks in the final 10 minutes of games? All I’m saying is this wouldn’t be an issue if we were winning games we were supposed to. 

If it is a penalty it shouldn't really matter what minute it is given in. Again, I am not trying to find excuses for our poor performance. I think every sane PAOK fan on Earth right now admits that the team is a shambles. The whole point is that if they were in our position, they wouldn't be dropping the points that we drop.

Anyway, the season was a write off when we planned so poorly during the summer.

On 2/7/2021 at 11:24 AM, PaokCT said:

I’m tired of people bringing in Olympiakos to the conversation. Agreed with Boston, we can’t compete with them this year, they are far superior. 

You can't leave Olympiakos out of it.

I would not say they are superior. What they have is a team and a coach that has been playing together for few years, something that we have not had since winning the double. Ever since Lucescu deserted the team we have been on a downward slide. Starting this season the front office tried to start turning the tide around, but we had another desertion with Ferreira. Then we throw in the unexperienced coach and one without a coaching license, and after few bad result the fans are calling for his head. That's why Olympiakos had the upper hand the past two seasons. Add to that the dirty tricks behind the scenes and the outcome is what it is. 

Since our double, they started a campaign to destroy PAOK and they have an ally in the current government that wants to get rid of Savvidis on the orders from the US government. Last season it was the PAOK/Xanthi fake dual ownership issue, which is still in the courts. Why do you think the verdict has not been announced yet. It's because something is cooking in the background. This season they tried to get us involved again by staging a fake match fixing issue with the help of the Aris owner Karypidis. If you think these things will stop than you are fooling yourself. They are fighting hard to get control of EPO again and are even using the Zagorakis card to reach that goal. I hope we don't fall for their tricks.

... and Kace. I think we reported Siabanis to EPO, but once again we shot ourselves in the foot by disclosing publicly his contract with "O" Aris. In return he is suing PAOK for 250K.

When this Olympiakos/Aris attempt to blame PAOK for paying off Aris players came out our front office came out with guns blazing, but is been more than month and a half and it's all quiet.