Phantis Forums

Qatar 2022 World Cup Qualifying

J1078

6 minutes ago, Alphonse said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/hellas-footy-pod/id1536595945?i=1000501706880

Have a listen guys, much coverage on the draw and Ethniki after SL and Euro wrap

Heard the show earlier today. I enjoyed the segment on the NT and the wcup draw. A few of the hosts are not to optimistic of our chances to progress. One of the guys liked our chances of taking 2nd place from Sweden. Good questions from the listeners too..

Keep up the good work!

• Like it 1

I would give us a 20% possibility of ending up 2nd. 20% possibility of ending up 4th and 60% of finishing 3rd.

Sweden although not the kafeneio you guys present it. Are really relatively chokers and as a NT they never had good duration. Thats the only reason we can end up higher than them. Under other circumstances we re nowhere near their level. If we play them 10 times we might win them once.

4 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

I would give us a 20% possibility of ending up 2nd. 20% possibility of ending up 4th and 60% of finishing 3rd.

Sweden although not the kafeneio you guys present it. Are really relatively chokers and as a NT they never had good duration. Thats the only reason we can end up higher than them. Under other circumstances we re nowhere near their level. If we play them 10 times we might win them once.

The best Swedish teams I watched  was the 1992 side that hosted the Euros and lost in the semis to West Germany. In 1994 they lost at the World Cup to Brazil in the semis but ended up in 3rd place. I remember Tomas Brolin having a great tournament. Then with Zlatan and Henrik Larson the best they did was quarter finals at Euro 2004. 
At the 2018 World Cup they reached the quarters but were beat easily by England 2-0. They are a well organized side but there is no one in there lineup aside from Zlatan that we should fear, that’s if he gets called up.

• Like it 1

On 12/9/2020 at 7:37 PM, Ellada2004 said:

The best Swedish teams I watched  was the 1992 side that hosted the Euros and lost in the semis to West Germany. In 1994 they lost at the World Cup to Brazil in the semis but ended up in 3rd place. I remember Tomas Brolin having a great tournament. Then with Zlatan and Henrik Larson the best they did was quarter finals at Euro 2004. 
At the 2018 World Cup they reached the quarters but were beat easily by England 2-0. They are a well organized side but there is no one in there lineup aside from Zlatan that we should fear, that’s if he gets called up.

Forsberg? Kulusevski?  Claesson? They re no top 10 in their positions like the spanish line up but seriously? The rest of their squad is all playing in midtble tems in England, Germany, Italy.
You are A swede in a swedish forum identical to this one, but for the Swedish national team. You have no idea about the Greek NT but you search for them in wikipedia. Players like Svarnas, Bakakis, Pavlidis, Kourbelis pop up as starters. You check their teams. Half of the teams never make it to Europa qualifications. Half of the teams are bottom feed in Europa Groups (Paok, Aek). A couple of names in Serie A bad teams. A couple of names in Bundesliga and France bad teams. The only thing that comes to mind? "Boi we can totally top this group and outshadow spain."

57 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Forsberg? Kulusevski?  Claesson? They re no top 10 in their positions like the spanish line up but seriously? The rest of their squad is all playing in midtble tems in England, Germany, Italy.
You are A swede in a swedish forum identical to this one, but for the Swedish national team. You have no idea about the Greek NT but you search for them in wikipedia. Players like Svarnas, Bakakis, Pavlidis, Kourbelis pop up as starters. You check their teams. Half of the teams never make it to Europa qualifications. Half of the teams are bottom feed in Europa Groups (Paok, Aek). A couple of names in Serie A bad teams. A couple of names in Bundesliga and France bad teams. The only thing that comes to mind? "Boi we can totally top this group and outshadow spain."

Forsberg is a solid player and Kulusevski is playing at Juventus and is a young talented player but do Sweden make us quiver in our boots? I don’t think so.. A few years back Greece went into Belgium vs one of the best sides on the world and came within a few minutes of a win and then we went back and forth with them in Athens and they narrowly beat us. Belgium a team that knocked out Brazil in the wcup and almost went to the final. 

Sweden are a hardworking side for sure but Greece should not fear them. If JVS has the best eleven playing & the right system in place Greece can get 4 points from the Swedes. Spain on the other hand is a totally different story.

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the key saying is “we should not fear them.” Shoot , Tzolis is an 18 year old going up against Benfica, Besiktas, PSV, etc... 

Yes , they mostly have better players, but better players do not always win games. We have to believe that we will win (players not us fans). I think the team is confident in themselves and each other that they can contend with sweden 

• Like it 1

17 hours ago, PaokCT said:

I think the key saying is “we should not fear them.” Shoot , Tzolis is an 18 year old going up against Benfica, Besiktas, PSV, etc... 

Yes , they mostly have better players, but better players do not always win games. We have to believe that we will win (players not us fans). I think the team is confident in themselves and each other that they can contend with sweden 

Ι disagree about hte confidence. The team would be confident if they topped the Nations League Group. Being unable to do that probably hurt the morale. So did the draw.

Just now, Rockafeller Skank said:

Ι disagree about hte confidence. The team would be confident if they topped the Nations League Group. Being unable to do that probably hurt the morale. So did the draw.

That’s fair. I should say more confidence in going forward. This coach believes in them attacking wise. When was the last Ethniki coach who actually pushed them to attack attack attack 

22 minutes ago, PaokCT said:

That’s fair. I should say more confidence in going forward. This coach believes in them attacking wise. When was the last Ethniki coach who actually pushed them to attack attack attack 

Ranieri tried that and we saw the disaster that ensued.

That said, this is a different/young team that looks like it is buying into the coach's strategy....

• Like it 2

On 12/11/2020 at 11:35 PM, AEK RE GAMOTO said:

Ranieri tried that and we saw the disaster that ensued.

That said, this is a different/young team that looks like it is buying into the coach's strategy....

the problem with ranieri was that there were expectations of him and there were players in the NT that loved Santos and hated how EPO treated him. 

Noone has expectations fron JVS.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2021 at 1:09 PM, PaokCT said:

I would love 4 points from the first two games. We need 3, anything less would be tragic 

4 would be great but 3 is an absolute must or we are screwed, and especially if Spain dominate the group like we think they will they would have qualified by the time they play there last match against Sweden meaning they may rest some stars.

• Like it 1

5 hours ago, J1078 said:

4 would be great but 3 is an absolute must or we are screwed, and especially if Spain dominate the group like we think they will they would have qualified by the time they play there last match against Sweden meaning they may rest some stars.

Yes 3 points is an absolute must have. Hopefully Greece and JVS come up with a solid game plan and can hold Spain to a draw though it will be a tough task.  Its the first game so maybe Spain has an off day and they take us lightly. Barca's young star player Ansu Fati will be out off the Spanish lineup due to a knee injury..

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle changed the title to Qatar 2022 World Cup Qualifying
17 minutes ago, nasl said:

okay so socrates and mitroglou are back in greece

lets put them back in the starting 11

Giakoumakis is one of the hottest strikers in Europe right now. He’s pretty much solidified as the striker. Stop that nonsense about Mitroglou. He hasn’t played in a year 

• Like it 1

47 minutes ago, PaokCT said:

Giakoumakis is one of the hottest strikers in Europe right now. He’s pretty much solidified as the striker. Stop that nonsense about Mitroglou. He hasn’t played in a year 

Giakoumakis is a shoe in for the NT he is lighting it up in Holland. Lets hope JVS comes to senses and brings in Manolas!

• Like it 3

9 hours ago, PaokCT said:

sure. let's bring pavlidis as a replacement who's been playing in a relegation side in netherlands or koulouris who's been kicked out of toulouse.