Phantis Forums

Qatar 2022 World Cup Qualifying

J1078

It's different this time around. There will be 12 teams in the playoffs (ten 2nd place winners and two best teams from Nations League).

The 12 teams will be divided into 3 groups of 4 teams. There will a be a semifinal round and a final round within those groups, with the 3 winners making the finals.

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, Blackhawk said:

It's different this time around. There will be 12 teams in the playoffs (ten 2nd place winners and two best teams from Nations League).

The 12 teams will be divided into 3 groups of 4 teams. There will a be a semifinal round and a final round within those groups, with the 3 winners making the finals.

Greece have made the world cup playoffs in 2010, 2014 and in 2018 and we will make it again in 2022!

I don’t think it’s completely hopeless, Will it be difficult? 100% it will. Can JVS Continue with the same line up against these teams? Short answer No. But m not going to be like that clown @Torontobluewho comes on hear and just trolls everyone like a clown putting up laughing emojis everywhere.. The guy is talking like everyone on hear said we will advance and beat Sweden and Spain.. No one said that everyone recognized this team has a difficult task ahead.. Are chances high that we finish 2nd? No, Obviously Sweden are favoured to take second but is it an impossible task? I don’t think so. But let’s see what happens. Maybe being in such a difficult group may force JVS to call on Manolas and finally put Fortounis in the middle and sit Bakasetas.. You never know.. JVS is happy the way the team is adapting to his style of play but in his mind after seeing the team play in Nations league he has to think if he fields the same line up against so much better competition there is no chance of advancing. Maybe this will force him to finally make the much needed changes.

• Like it 2
  • Thanks 1

I think we also play up to our opposition.  We played Belgium tough in both games in 2018 when they were the number 1 team.  Anything is possible - the key is to solidify our defense now as we won't be dominating possession as have been used to.  On the other side, we finally have guys who are fast who can create chances on the sides.  These games won't be as closed as we have played the last few times.

• Like it 2

46 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I don’t think it’s completely hopeless, Will it be difficult? 100% it will. Can JVS Continue with the same line up against these teams? Short answer No. But m not going to be like that clown @Torontobluewho comes on hear and just trolls everyone like a clown putting up laughing emojis everywhere.. The guy is talking like everyone on hear said we will advance and beat Sweden and Spain.. No one said that everyone recognized this team has a difficult task ahead.. Are chances high that we finish 2nd? No, Obviously Sweden are favoured to take second but is it an impossible task? I don’t think so. But let’s see what happens. Maybe being in such a difficult group may force JVS to call on Manolas and finally put Fortounis in the middle and sit Bakasetas.. You never know.. JVS is happy the way the team is adapting to his style of play but in his mind after seeing the team play in Nations league he has to think if he fields the same line up against so much better competition there is no chance of advancing. Maybe this will force him to finally make the much needed changes.

Well said.

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging the fact that we have a tough group but to trash talk the team with emojis and irony is beyond me. We all want the same thing in the end, which is for Hellas to make the world cup. One can be positive or negative. I choose to be critical when need be but in a positive way.

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, Brklyngrk said:

I think we also play up to our opposition.  We played Belgium tough in both games in 2018 when they were the number 1 team.  Anything is possible - the key is to solidify our defense now as we won't be dominating possession as have been used to.  On the other side, we finally have guys who are fast who can create chances on the sides.  These games won't be as closed as we have played the last few times.

That's right the tougher the opposition Greece up there game as they did in Belgium drawing a World class side and minutes from winning that game in Brussels. Who knows maybe we get a result vs Spain. Sweden are a good hard working side but they can be beat. There top talisman is Berg but he is not as big a threat as he once was when he played for PAO. JVS has to be careful the team doesn't let there guard down when playing vs Georgia or Kosovo.

1 hour ago, AEK RE GAMOTO said:

Well said.

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging the fact that we have a tough group but to trash talk the team with emojis and irony is beyond me. We all want the same thing in the end, which is for Hellas to make the world cup. One can be positive or negative. I choose to be critical when need be but in a positive way.

Maybe he is Portugese? and still bothered that Hellas took the EURO 2004 TROPHY!!!

• Like it 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

That's right the tougher the opposition Greece up there game as they did in Belgium drawing a World class side and minutes from winning that game in Brussels. Who knows maybe we get a result vs Spain. Sweden are a good hard working side but they can be beat. There top talisman is Berg but he is not as big a threat as he once was when he played for PAO. JVS has to be careful the team doesn't let there guard down when playing vs Georgia or Kosovo.

That will be key As Greece can not afford to drop one single point to either Georgia or Kosovo, if they do they are done as I don’t see Sweden getting anything but wins against those teams. Also we need to realize this won’t be anything like the nations league where we had majority of possession as Spain we know but Sweden will control more of the ball so we better shore up our defence and put the best possible players available if we want the best chance at taking points from Sweden. I’m games against Sweden and Spain you know you will have guys back so your hoping to catch something on the counter attack.

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1

6 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Greece have made the world cup playoffs in 2010, 2014 and in 2018 and we will make it again in 2022!

2018? In Russia? We were there? You sure? 

We got out of our qualifying group, but lost the playoff to Croatia.

By the way, where we playing our home games? OAKA again? Rizoupoli? Perhaps back to Piraeus and Karaiskaki? Maybe finally make the long rumored move to Crete?

JVS has to think about his line ups going forward. We can’t be playing Bakasetas at CAM. Bakakis/Mavrias is not the answer at RB. Also Kourbelis shouldn’t be an automatic starter. We need to find the right replacements. Tzavellas and Svarnas will get destroyed against Spain and Sweden. Kosovo weren’t that easy when played against them. He has to seriously look into the talent pool and find the replacements. 

Manolas and Siovas can’t be ignored. Even Ninis who had a great game against Olympiakos shouldn’t be ignored. Tzolis who is the most inform Greek attacker at the moment should be starting. Fortounis also should at least go back in at CAM. If we go into this qualification with the same line ups as the nations league, don’t expect us to get 2nd. We’ve played good football against teams that we should be beating like Moldova and Kosovo. We just beat these teams in reality and we couldn’t beat Slovenia twice. This shows we have a finishing problem. Also those teams don’t  have world class attackers like Spain and Sweden do.  

In any case it’s a must win against Kosovo and Georgia. No losses or draws. Against Spain we should hope we get a draw in one of the two games we play them. Against Sweden we should hopefully get a win and a draw. All games should be focused on winning each game but if these results that I just mentioned happen, it will be enough to get 2nd. From then on anything can happen. 

This will be a big task for our team. JVS better be wise with his selections...

• Like it 1

7 hours ago, Omonoia9 said:

Oh yeah, good point. I don't see why that's something to be proud of, though. You either qualify, or you don't. 

No I was pissed like most of us here when Croatia beat us badly in the first leg and they went on to Russia. I’m just saying that Greece in this group can claim second place.

Croatia was a really good team and it showed at the world cup.  Funny, this is the first time in awhile I am more worried about our defense than I am about creating chances. I feel Bakakis will get ripped apart if he starts.  The other thing is I would like to see how we stand against quality opposition.  Our last test against quality opposition was against Austria and we should have won.  I would love to see Manolas/Siovas as the CBs, Fortounis at AM, Tziolis on the wing,  Galanopoulos (if fit) over one of Kourbelis/Zeca, and somebody else other than Bakakis/Mavrias at RB (it has to be a legit rb and not a converted cb).  Hopefully that isn't too much to ask for....

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

Croatia was a really good team and it showed at the world cup.  Funny, this is the first time in awhile I am more worried about our defense than I am about creating chances. I feel Bakakis will get ripped apart if he starts.  The other thing is I would like to see how we stand against quality opposition.  Our last test against quality opposition was against Austria and we should have won.  I would love to see Manolas/Siovas as the CBs, Fortounis at AM, Tziolis on the wing,  Galanopoulos (if fit) over one of Kourbelis/Zeca, and somebody else other than Bakakis/Mavrias at RB (it has to be a legit rb and not a converted cb).  Hopefully that isn't too much to ask for....

That's a good point offensively we are creating chances by the boatload in a lot of matches recently compared to the couple we used to create in the past. Our defensive errors vs Austria cost us that game. I hope JVS can bring himself to call up Manolas & Siovas back to the NT and just have those two go in front of the media and say we are going to give everything for the country & the team and will just focus on doing our job for Greece to qualify for the World Cup. Lets hope they can all come to an understanding.

21 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

That's a good point offensively we are creating chances by the boatload in a lot of matches recently compared to the couple we used to create in the past. Our defensive errors vs Austria cost us that game. I hope JVS can bring himself to call up Manolas & Siovas back to the NT and just have those two go in front of the media and say we are going to give everything for the country & the team and will just focus on doing our job for Greece to qualify for the World Cup. Lets hope they can all come to an understanding.

Agreed.

We also need to hopefully find that finishing touch. All those chances but not  being able to finish them with a goal will cost us big time.

Just like the 2004 team started to show special signs during qualification on 2003, I am hoping the same happens this time. We definitely have some young talents....

• Like it 2

Γνωστό έγινε το πρόγραμμα της εθνικής ομάδας για τα Προκριματικά του Παγκοσμίου Κυπέλλου.

Η «γαλανόλευκη» ξεκινάει με το δυσκολότερο παιχνίδι της, αφού στις 25 Μαρτίου αντιμετωπίζει εκτός έδρας την Ισπανία.

Αναλυτικά το πρόγραμμα

25 Μαρτίου
Ισπανία-Ελλάδα (21:45)
Σουηδία-Γεωργία

28 Μαρτίου
Γεωργία-Ισπανία
Κόσοβο-Σουηδία

31 Μαρτίου
Ελλάδα-Γεωργία (21:45)
Ισπανία-Κόσοβο

2 Σεπτεμβρίου
Γεωργία-Κόσοβο
Σουηδία-Ισπανία

5 Σεπτεμβρίου
Κόσοβο-Ελλάδα (21:45)
Ισπανία-Γεωργία

8 Σεπτεμβρίου
Ελλάδα-Σουηδία (21:45)
Κόσοβο-Ισπανία

9 Οκτωβρίου
Γεωργία-Ελλάδα (19:00)
Σουηδία-Κόσοβο

12 Οκτωβρίου
Κόσοβο-Γεωργία
Σουηδία-Ελλάδα (21:45)

11 Νοεμβρίου
Γεωργία-Σουηδία
Ελλάδα-Ισπανία (21:45)

14 Νοεμβρίου
Ελλάδα-Κόσοβο (21:45)
Ισπανία-Σουηδία

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, PaokCT said:

Ha! Start off with the toughest game, we will see how we do on March 25th!

Oh great! I wanted them in the 3rd match day.. Sweden gets Spain on the final match day hopefully that doesn’t hurt us.

• Dutch Eagle changed the title to Qatar 2022 World Cup Qualifying