Phantis Forums

Olympiacos-Porto (9 Dec. 2020, Giorgos Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus)

Omonoia9

16 minutes ago, Omonoia9 said:

I think compared to preseason expectations, this group went about how you'd expect it to. MAYBE we could have shocked Porto, but it was a coin toss to see if we would be better than Marseille. Luckily that BS that happened in Marseille didn't affect anything in the long run.

I thought they would be close with Porto for 2nd. This was a horrible campaign. Five straight losses after there only win in the opening game.

The team should not have let go off Tzimikas & Podence. If they play like they did today vs a team that was playing for nothing they will be out of Europa very quickly.

9 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

I thought they would be close with Porto for 2nd. This was a horrible campaign. Five straight losses after there only win in the opening game.

The team should not have let go off Tzimikas & Podence. If they play like they did today vs a team that was playing for nothing they will be out of Europa very quickly.

I mean, I thought it was possible, and for sure I thought we could at least get a point off them at home. And yeah, it is kind of sad that just winning our first game ended up being enough to finish better than Marseille, although we should have beaten Marseille twice. 

• Like it 1

2 minutes ago, Omonoia9 said:

I mean, I thought it was possible, and for sure I thought we could at least get a point off them at home. And yeah, it is kind of sad that just winning our first game ended up being enough to finish better than Marseille, although we should have beaten Marseille twice. 

Agree marseille we should have got 6 points but the refs screwed us. The games OLY played vs Porto were really poor I expected more against them. 

Yes but we grabbed that EL spot, fortunately. Maybe they will play against a weaker opponent and then they have a chance. I hope they will be better.

Todays performance was sometimes good, but overall Porto was unfortunately better. Bouchalakis did not lose the ball very often, Vrousai put up a good fight. Pity Valbuena wasnt available. Perhaps Fortounis should have been in the starting XI, he gave a good pass to El Arabi. Holebas was just an idiot like always. José Sá tried, he was among our better performers. Masouras was subbed off after missing a great chance - but he is like that, his fighting spirit is however good!

20 minutes ago, jason said:

Fortounis has to be more aggressive.. guy is afraid of his own shadow. He does okay with good ball here and there and I do still think he is one of talents on team, but he is mentally soft..

He clearly wasn't 100%

You guys need to come down back to earth. This Is the CHAMPIONS League. Our whole team budget cannot even afford to pay for 1 star player on may of the teams in the competition. 

That being said, we did not play to our potential by any means, but at the same time, if things would have gone our way (penalties, corona flu keeping our strikers out etc) we could have made some noise it was not beyond our reach, just was not our year this time.

Yesterday we had enough chances to get a result, our finishing let us down, it happens. But in CL in 6 games, that will be the difference for teams like us. We dont have the luxury on having mediocre performances, to progress we need to play our best every game all game to a man.

We will always be underdogs in CL and that is what makes the results sweeter when they come. Its been a weird year for us and everyone, I'm sure we will be back on track sooner than later in europe like we have been used to with this coach and squad. Have faith, like ta kalhtera erxonte! There is quality here. Dont let that old Greek miseria gerontistiko kafenio bug get you.

20 hours ago, jason said:

Fortounis has to be more aggressive.. guy is afraid of his own shadow. He does okay with good ball here and there and I do still think he is one of talents on team, but he is mentally soft..

Nothing soft about the kid, he is pure class, and the best Greek player in the game today.

Olympiakos got PSV Eindhoven in the Europa League round of 32. I like this draw a lot, PSV isn't the same team like years ago. But, it all depends on the performance from Olympiakos because they do have the tendency to play poorly against average teams sometimes. 

• Lazarus changed the title to Olympiacos-Porto (9 Dec. 2020, Giorgos Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus)