Phantis Forums

Nations League: Greece - Slovenia (18 Nov. 2020, Georgios Kamaras, Athens)

Blackhawk

talked with Fat Phil.

this is the starting lineup we need moving forward

Vlachodimos

Kyriakopoulos

Soivas

Manolas

Tsimikas

Masouras

Limnios

Fetfatzidis

Foutounis

Pavlidis

Giakoumakis

BENCH

Dioudis

Rota

Mavropanos

Donis

Retsos

Tzavellas

Zeca

Tziolis

Kourbelis

Bakasetas

Gauranteed results. 

First say hi to Fat Phil.

Second there no such player as Tziolis. As far as I know he has retired.

Third Siovas, Manolas and Tzavellas have no business being on the NT.

Only players that are under 30 years old and in form should be called up for national team duties.

• Like it 1
  • Confused 2

Sorry bro but only under 30 makes no sense .

Gekas scored lots of goals for us in his 30s

Also i will remind you of Otto Rehaggel when asked by the greek media

why he put a player on the team who did not have a club , and he said

its because "he has not forgot how to play football".

Otto tried to put the best players on the field.

We had 2 must win matches and could not score.

Personally i would have had Mitroglou out there .

• Like it 2

2 hours ago, nasl said:

Also i will remind you of Otto Rehaggel when asked by the greek media

why he put a player on the team who did not have a club , and he said

its because "he has not forgot how to play football".

Otto tried to put the best players on the field.

We had 2 must win matches and could not score.

Personally i would have had Mitroglou out there .

One thing I agree with is if a player is older it’s irrelevant if he’s playing at a club and in form and contributing. Karagounis was effective up until the end of his career at the World Cup and Gekas was still scoring goals late on. 
As for Mitroglou if he was playing more at Marseille and more over the past few seasons I would say call him up and give him a chance. 

6 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

You got favorable draws because of a fluke called EURO 2004. But this could not carry on forever. Not only that. We did not do anything to take advantage of that miracle to develop and improve the game in Greece. Instead more infighting took place which brought us to the lowest point ever in the history of the national team losing to the likes of Faroe Islands, etc. We are now in the rebuilding process with this coach and he is moving in the right direction. Letting him go now some faction wants it would be a mistake.

im talking post 2014 era.

5 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

First say hi to Fat Phil.

Second there no such player as Tziolis. As far as I know he has retired.

Third Siovas, Manolas and Tzavellas have no business being on the NT.

Only players that are under 30 years old and in form should be called up for national team duties.

Manolas specifically is 29 and is one of the best cbs this country has ever produced. and you want him out for what?

i suppose him and siovas were good enough defensively (sokratis as well) when we almost reached the quarter finals in 2014 and later challenged what turned to be world's number 2 and 3 in belgium and croatia.

Honestly I just can’t believe in all of Greece we can’t find one natural striker that can score goals on a consistent basis. Also we have reached our ceiling as a team as long as we have a week midfield with Zeca and Kourbelis/Bouchalakis, they are just not good enough and we can only go so far as a good midfield will take you.. This is a real problem for us and I don’t know who's the answer.. We all know Fortounis should be an automatic starter every game and NOT on the wing you need to put him in the middle but JVS is reluctant to play the guy to his strengths.. I almost garuntee if JVS starts two natural wingers like Tzolis or Masouras alongside Liminios then he will sit Fortounis and play Bakasetas in the middle he won’t sit him at all.. He’s living and dying with this guy for some reason and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.. But until we address our striker and midfield problems I don’t think we can compete with higher tear teams and this is proof once again that we couldn’t top an easy group even though we played well and didn’t lose we are just not good enough to advance past this right now..

12 hours ago, J1078 said:

Honestly I just can’t believe in all of Greece we can’t find one natural striker that can score goals on a consistent basis. Also we have reached our ceiling as a team as long as we have a week midfield with Zeca and Kourbelis/Bouchalakis, they are just not good enough and we can only go so far as a good midfield will take you.. This is a real problem for us and I don’t know who's the answer.. We all know Fortounis should be an automatic starter every game and NOT on the wing you need to put him in the middle but JVS is reluctant to play the guy to his strengths.. I almost garuntee if JVS starts two natural wingers like Tzolis or Masouras alongside Liminios then he will sit Fortounis and play Bakasetas in the middle he won’t sit him at all.. He’s living and dying with this guy for some reason and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.. But until we address our striker and midfield problems I don’t think we can compete with higher tear teams and this is proof once again that we couldn’t top an easy group even though we played well and didn’t lose we are just not good enough to advance past this right now..

Not worried about our strikers. Pavlidis, Tzolis, Koulouris and Gioukoumakis will be great options and are still young. 

21 hours ago, nasl said:

Well if you are in the middle of a rebuilding process it makes sense. 

Also anybody that revolted against a coach and tried to sabotage the team should never wear the NT jersey.

• Like it 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe if we had Fortounis in the starting line up from game 1 and/or we brought back Manolas and Soc, kept Siovas we might have qualified 1st. I would have like that.

Maybe the coach should have gambled from the start and used a more attacking formation. I would have gone for that.

These are plausible questions.

However, there is one thing that is different from other qualifiers and was clear in the Slovenia game. I never felt we were going to lose that game. All players, in the team had shown grit, bled to the last minute to the best of their ability and created chances, like no other Greek team in the last 6 years. We dominated the match, just couldn't get the goal. There are a lot of young players who made debuts, and they will be better in the next qualifiers. Getting back to where we want to be is a slow, painful process.

I am confident whoever we play in WC qualifiers, that we will be a difficult team to beat, even Pot 1 and 2 teams. I think we are heading in the right direction, and physically and mentally team is in a good place.

• Like it 1

On 11/19/2020 at 2:47 PM, skinny said:

talked with Fat Phil.

this is the starting lineup we need moving forward

Vlachodimos

Kyriakopoulos

Soivas

Manolas

Tsimikas

Masouras

Limnios

Fetfatzidis

Foutounis

Pavlidis

Giakoumakis

BENCH

Dioudis

Rota

Mavropanos

Donis

Retsos

Tzavellas

Zeca

Tziolis

Kourbelis

Bakasetas

Gauranteed results. 

forgot Fountas.. I would start him in place of Pavlidis

• Like it 1

On 11/20/2020 at 4:01 AM, Boxou said:

Anyone noticed how many times we have wasted a free kick or a corner? Life would be much easier if you had Fortounis searching for Manolas or Siovas unlike Tzavellas who's never been a real CB to begin with.

Ive spoken about this in the Hellas Football Podcast, unbelievable the amount of wasted corners, even freekicks too 

On 11/20/2020 at 4:19 AM, PaokCT said:

Not only that, but also our kicks are usually always short. I feel like every corner is a near post set piece which easily gets cleared

Correct, ridiculous we did this so much vs Moldova and Slovenia, only in the second half of Slovenia did we start getting them in the middle

On 11/20/2020 at 6:50 AM, skinny said:

you guys can laugh about Fetfatzidis , but against medium to weak teams he would definetly provide an impact on offence. Togher teams i would bench him. 

i should couch this team

He can play against any team

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1