Phantis Forums

Nations League: Greece - Slovenia (18 Nov. 2020, Georgios Kamaras, Athens)

Blackhawk

TorontoBlue, since you like to poke fun at the Greek National Team, tell me when the Toronto Maple Leafs will ever win another cup, let alone winning a first round series? 🤣😂🤣😂

Edited by Molon Lave
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There is plenty to be upset with tactic wise with the coach. We will be breaking down the tactics of JVS tomorrow in our episode with Antoni from Hellas Football. 

We can't blame JVS for the sitters that were missed by the players, but we can blame him for player choice and scheme given the game script that unfolded. We will be presenting the relevant player data for this as well.

Edited by Gate7IntlPodcast

1 minute ago, La Mendel said:

gsots has a point about Bakasetas, Mavrias and Tzavellas. And yes, Bakasetas was a DM in the last 10 minutes. LOL.

The individual efforts of Fortounis were indeed important. Without him, we wouldnt have won perhaps that Moldova game. Bakasetas is practically useless.

Fortounis should be CAM, Masouras should also start on the wing. In the past, we got better results with zero skills and determination (for example, Salpingidis) than with "skilled" but slow and lazy players (for example, Ninis and Fetfatzidis). Lykogiannis or even Rota would have been a better right back than Mavrias.

Also JVS chucked quite a few players out now. Manolas, Sokratis, Siovas, Fetfatzidis. I am not sure if even an unfit Mitroglou (who is clearly past it) would be as useless as Pavlidis and Co.

I agree Masouras should start

1 minute ago, Molon Lave said:

TorontoBlue, since you like to poke fun at the Greek National Team, tell me when the Toronto Maple Leafs will ever win another cup, let alone winning a first round series? 🤣😂🤣😂

LMAO!!!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Molon Lave said:

lets not talk about that useless crap sport here lol. This is the beautiful and best game football!!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, HellasLEAF said:

The nature of the game really played in their favour.  If they had to score and open up I think there is no doubt we would have found a goal or two.

But Slovenia had the position earlier to only need the draw.  They scored in injury time I believe in their last match to get the win.  Our missed penalty in the first match and the Kosovo match I think are most to blame.  After seeing them today it's a real shame Greece did not win this group we are far superior. 

True that missed penalty vs Kosovo costed us big time. If Bakastetas scores Greece win the group with a draw today.

I've watched the Ethniki since 2001 and I can count on one hand how many times I've seen us move the ball with such fluidity and quick passes. Yes - there were a lot of back passes and long balls and even though the result is disappointing, it was nice to see the omada leave it all on the pitch. We just need a little more quality in the final third (Kourbelis has to test Oblak from that range).

As many others pointed out, without Oblak in goal, Greece wins this match. That save from Bakasetas was world class. Without a doubt the best keeper in the world for the past few years and for the foreseeable future.

I'd like to see Van t' Schip stay. If he leaves or is forced out, I can see him winning big with another team a la Fernando Santos and Ranieri!

• Like it 2

It was a good campaign. They played well. With some luck here and there it’s a different story. I think they will be a lot better during the World Cup qualifiers. More experience will only make them better. 

I only have 2 bad things to say about this game. First, tzavellas needs an attitude check. Otherwise it’s gonna cost is one of these days. 

Secondly, I would like for someone to tell me why our players have loads of space in front of them but stop and turn back. Or never take on a guy one on one. I know they’re a slow team, but come on. Take a chance beating a guy now and then. Especially Bakasetas 

• Like it 2

There were alot of positives during this NL campaign the Ethniki never trailed in any match and only conceeded 1 goal. Also today the NT played very nice fluid football and created many high quality chances as they did in most of the games. Only negative is even after not tasting defeat we dont get 1st place and a chance for a wcup playoff should we need it do to poor finisihing and a missed penalty that costs us big time. 

34 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

It was a good campaign. They played well. With some luck here and there it’s a different story. I think they will be a lot better during the World Cup qualifiers. More experience will only make them better. 

I only have 2 bad things to say about this game. First, tzavellas needs an attitude check. Otherwise it’s gonna cost is one of these days. 

Secondly, I would like for someone to tell me why our players have loads of space in front of them but stop and turn back. Or never take on a guy one on one. I know they’re a slow team, but come on. Take a chance beating a guy now and then. Especially Bakasetas 

Oh no Tzavellas is experienced and captaincy material unlike Manolas and Siovas who are bad guys and harm the team.

39 minutes ago, Boxou said:

Oh no Tzavellas is experienced and captaincy material unlike Manolas and Siovas who are bad guys and harm the team.

I agree If you are going to bother brining up Tzavellas then that defeats JVS argument that he wants to rebuild with young players and get rid of the old kills, I would rather see Manolas and Siovas on the team rather then Tzavellas.. He is contradicting himself when he does that..  I think against top quality teams they will be needed especially against teams where we barely have the ball past midfield..

I’m very gutted once again that we didn’t win our group but I understand we are a rebuilding a team and we have shown lots of progress, The teams has a different mindset and they are starting gel and okay the the style JVS wants them to play. I also agree there has been games this campaign we didn’t look good but I think that will come with experience and maturing as a team. The team looks like it’s headed in the right direction and as the English announcer said “This team has looked to turn the corner with JVS In such a quick time. think like anything it will take some time but changing coaches every year will put us back to square one I think. I’m hoping now between the end of the European campaign and this campaign JVS has now seen who he should and shouldn’t be playing..  Let’s see how it plays out in the World Cup qualifiers and let’s hope for a favourable draw on December 7th..

Edited by J1078

27 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I’m very gutted once again that we didn’t win our group but I understand we are a rebuilding a team and we have shown lots of progress, The teams has a different mindset and they are starting gel and okay the the style JVS wants them to play. I also agree there has been games this campaign we didn’t look good but I think that will come with experience and maturing as a team. The team looks like it’s headed in the right direction and as the English announcer said “This team has looked to turn the corner with JVS In such a quick time. think like anything it will take some time but changing coaches every year will put us back to square one I think. I’m hoping now between the end of the European campaign and this campaign JVS has now seen who he should and shouldn’t be playing..  Let’s see how it plays out in the World Cup qualifiers and let’s hope for a favourable draw on December 7th..

For sure it’s disappointing not winning this group & a possible wcup playoff spot but overall JVS had the team playing well. It’s not like the last NL campaign were Greece finished 3rd and lost to Estonia which costed us a sure euro playoff spot. 

Hopefully going forward JVS does better with some of his player selections. Like not including Tzavellas & as I said bringing back Manolas. Let’s hope for the best possible draw from pot 1 say Denmark and Sweden from Pot 2. Even if Greece draw a powerhouse will take some points of them as we always punch above our weight!

Geez we lost out to Hungary in our last Nations league campaign for 2nd and look what they’ve done, They’ve  made the Euros via Nations league playoff and now won there Nations league Group B and we couldn’t top group C with Slovenia, Kosovo and Moldova.. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Hungary

Serbia

Turkey

Russia

Can anyone explain why this link states that today's tie means Greece is in Pot 4 for the upcoming World Cup draw?

Others on here are saying we are in Pot 3.

Which one is it?

ESPN: UEFA Nations League: Finals, promotion and relegation decided.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-nations-league/story/4235593/uefa-nations-league-whats-at-stake-in-the-final-games

32 minutes ago, Boxou said:

sweden are a rather good team, it's only slovakia and romania from pot 2 that are around our level. others are less or much better us.

ok sure will take slovakia or romania if they are still in pot 2 it would be a better option. I have watched some of Swedens games since the 2018 Wcup and they are trending downward. True they did play in NL group with France, Portugal and Croatia were they were relagated. They have a few good players like Lindelof,Kulusevski, Forsberg and Berg but I wouldnt fear them. Greece just need to avoid France, Spain and Belgium (even though we did well vs them last wcup qualifiers)

23 minutes ago, AEK RE GAMOTO said:

Can anyone explain why this link states that today's tie means Greece is in Pot 4 for the upcoming World Cup draw?

Others on here are saying we are in Pot 3.

Which one is it?

ESPN: UEFA Nations League: Finals, promotion and relegation decided.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-nations-league/story/4235593/uefa-nations-league-whats-at-stake-in-the-final-games

I was listening to Nova sport after the game and they said Greece are in Pot 3 and Bosnia is now in pot 4.

• Like it 1