Phantis Forums

Friendly: Greece - Cyprus (11 Nov. 2020, Georgios Kamaras, Athens)

Dutch Eagle

After this game, Tziolis and Giakoumakis should start on Sunday or at least make an appearance from the bench.  Fortounis AM and Bakasetas further back.

Giakoumakis

Tziolis(Masouras)                        Fortounis                               Limnios

Bakasetas                            Zeca

Tsimakis            Tzavellas                       Hatzi                         Rota???

Vlaho

• Like it 1

Sometimes when Greece and Cyprus play each other, Greece wins under fishy circumstances, but this was well-deserved for Greece. Probably should have been more than 2-1. JVS has the ethniki playing the best since Santos, and Cyprus have not looked good under Walem, even lost to Luxembourg.

• Like it 4

4 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

I know haha I watched the whole match. I am so sad Kastanos didnt have the expected career. Man was part of juve senior squad a couple of years ago.

He played one game for Juve, which I covered for AGONAsport(please come back). He's still pretty young.

8 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

After this game, Tziolis and Giakoumakis should start on Sunday or at least make an appearance from the bench.  Fortounis AM and Bakasetas further back.

I agree with Bakasetas/Fortounis comment. I believe the first half was clearly JVS trying what he wants to play against Moldova. One pure defensive mid in Zeca and 2 attacking midfielders coming deep to receive the ball and create from there. We did look vulnerable on the counter but I guess JVS is banking on our "starting defenders" to help with that. 

Giakoumakis ability to hold up the ball was good, he was a threat in the air, not so good with the ball on the ground, his touch wasn't the best (not the only Greek player in this category) I think Pavilids will start over him. Tzolis maybe given the start, especially if Masouras doesn't recover from the knock that kept him out of last night's match. 

None of the Fortounis or Bakasetas played furtherback lads. The system JVS tried was 4-1-2-3 and to be honest with nations like Moldova and  Cyprus this is based. 

I would like to see 

Vlachodimos

Mavrias/Rota - Chatzidiakos - Kourbelis/Tzavellas - Tsimikas 

Zeka

Fortounis - Bakasetas

Limnios - Giakoumakis - Chatzigiovanis

vs Moldova.

Hello Everyone! We couldn't believe our ears when we heard there was an active Greek soccer community!

Glad to see the majority were as positive about yesterday's performance as we are. Now we just need to cross our fingers and hope JVS continues with the great showing we saw and not reverting to some of the miserable lineups with players out of position we saw in the past.

Also thought it would be worth mentioning that since the Covid restart, Greece has maintained the highest match tempo it has EVER had since game data has been available. Greece is averaging 17.83 passes per minute of pure ball possession. We certainly are playing much more free flowing!

• Like it 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gate7IntlPodcast said:

Hello Everyone! We couldn't believe our ears when we heard there was an active Greek soccer community!

Glad to see the majority were as positive about yesterday's performance as we are. Now we just need to cross our fingers and hope JVS continues with the great showing we saw and not reverting to some of the miserable lineups with players out of position we saw in the past.

Also thought it would be worth mentioning that since the Covid restart, Greece has maintained the highest match tempo it has EVER had since game data has been available. Greece is averaging 17.83 passes per minute of pure ball possession. We certainly are playing much more free flowing!

Ofcourse there is, a large and passionate one, hectic bruuu!

• Like it 1

5 hours ago, Gate7IntlPodcast said:

Love your pod boythes!

• Like it 1

Thank you for the kind words! We will certainly be lurking here and doing our part to bring together more Greeks that love soccer.

We also are looking to engage in discussion with our access to next-gen player analytics! As we do on social media and Reddit, feel free to ask any questions that our data can explain or if there's specific data points you are looking at! 

Let's hope the Ethniki has another great performance on Sunday!

• Like it 1

8 hours ago, Gate7IntlPodcast said:

I am enjoying listening to your show and hearing you guys discuss the Ethniki! Keep up the good work.

2 hours ago, Chris Tsamados said:

We manage to scrape a win against Cyprus, meanwhile Scotland have just qualified for the Euros.

Just let that sink in.

2 hours ago, Chris Tsamados said:

We manage to scrape a win against Cyprus, meanwhile Scotland have just qualified for the Euros.

Just let that sink in.

True but the team was totally different in the 2nd half due to being a trial. No chemistry but just to see some individuals.

3 hours ago, Chris Tsamados said:

Just let that sink in.

Scotland? If we draw with Estonia, it would be us in the playoffs and not Hungary. Hungary got through to the finals.

Edited by kbxk508
  • Like it 1

I think What JVS did in the game against Cyprus was a smart move, he should have a clear image of what works and what doesn’t, If the line up that started the game played the entire game I think Greece would have scored one or two more goals as they were playing with energy and high tempo and creating chances.. He really benefited from this friendly to see what works best and in doing so he was still able to get the team to win.. Let’s hope in the next two games he goes with a similar line up to what we played in the first half which was more of what we saw in the last few games of the euro qualifiers..

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1

On 11/13/2020 at 7:15 AM, kbxk508 said:

Scotland? If we draw with Estonia, it would be us in the playoffs and not Hungary. Hungary got through to the finals.

Very depressing indeed, Scotland hadnt qualify for a major tournament since the 1998 World Cup and they got in through the NL playoffs. Even worse the Skops are headed to the Euros as well!