Phantis Forums

Nations League: Greece-Kosovo (14 Oct. 2020, Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Omonoia9

7 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

We definitely have to come in first in this group there is no France, Spain or other powerhouse nation in this group. Also from a confidence standpoint Greece need to have 1st going into World Cup qualifiers.
That said there are 2 games left and Greece should beat Moldova and then it comes down to beating Slovenia at home. 
I am just annoyed that we couldn’t find a single goal today it’s reminiscent of the games vs Estonia and Faroes. The first half the team played fluid football and we should have been up 2 goals by half. Bakasetas has been better of late but he can’t finish even misses a pk that changed the complexion of the match, maybe he’s a tad unlucky with the NT who knows but JVS should not start him going forward. Pavlidis is working hard and has technical ability but he can’t finish some simple goals in the 6 yard box maybe the nerves are getting to him? I say let Fountas start and see if he can be the guy to finish off the chances. 
The commentator mentioned under JVS that we are playing better and are tough to beat since he has been in charge. I just hope he makes some changes that will make the NT much better no more Tzavellas, Bouchalakis please. Fortounis should have started if he’s on the pitch and takes the pk it’s a goal. Also maybe JVS has a talk with Manolas and sees if he will buy into his way of how he wants the NT to play, function etc. and maybe he comes back and it makes us much better in the back. Also we are missing Tsimikas and if Donis is in form there is another key piece. There is time to fix some of the issues and let’s all hope we have the best starting 11 and bench players come March because we have to make the World Cup anything else is unacceptable.

Good calls although Donis has played around 10 matches and did't look like scoring, either does Masouras. They need more confidence and how do they get this? Don't know except play some more and hope it turns around and the forwards eventually start scoring.

Having Kourbelis alongside Carlos Zeca are much the same. One off these positions need to be more offensive. Maybe Pelkas, Vasilliadis  or Galanopoulos can play there.

Why has Fetfa pissed off multiple Ethniki's managers. He has not played there since who knows. I wonder why? A lack of fitness or professionalism?

• Like it 1

We also need to remember that historically, we have not played well against teams that play defensive.  We are not a team that ever scored more than two goals (except for that miracle 4 goals against Bosnia years ago).  The fact that we are playing open football will only help us, at some point the goals will come.  There are a lot of new players and they are starting to get to know one another.  Limnios/Masouras/Hatzi/Giannoulis/Tsimakis/Pavlidis/Tziolis just started their NT careers and are already starters (except for Tziolis, but he is only 18).  Limnios in particular has impressed and cemented his place on the right wing.  I really believe if we can have both Giannoulis/Tsimakis on the left side,  we would be very dangerous.  The defenders have not really been tested (because we have been having the bulk of possession these games) and that can potentially expose them.  The only way to know is by having them play games.

Edited by Brklyngrk

7 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

We also need to remember that historically, we have not played well against teams that play defensive.  We are not a team that ever scored more than two goals (except for that miracle 4 goals against Bosnia years ago).  The fact that we are playing open football will only help us, at some point the goals will come.  There are a lot of new players and they are starting to get to know one another.  Limnios/Masouras/Hatzi/Giannoulis/Tsimakis/Pavlidis/Tziolis just started their NT careers and are already starters (except for Tziolis, but he is only 18).  Limnios in particular has impressed and cemented his place on the right wing.  I really believe if we can have both Giannoulis/Tsimakis on the left side,  we would be very dangerous.  The defenders have not really been tested (because we have been having the bulk of possession these games) and that can potentially expose them.  The only way to know is by having them play games.

Svarnas embarrassed himself trying to chase a Kosovo player, he literally was dribbled twice before falling on the pitch. 

7 hours ago, ausgreek said:

Good calls although Donis has played around 10 matches and did't look like scoring, either does Masouras. They need more confidence and how do they get this? Don't know except play some more and hope it turns around and the forwards eventually start scoring.

Having Kourbelis alongside Carlos Zeca are much the same. One off these positions need to be more offensive. Maybe Pelkas, Vasilliadis  or Galanopoulos can play there.

Why has Fetfa pissed off multiple Ethniki's managers. He has not played there since who knows. I wonder why? A lack of fitness or professionalism?

You are right about Kourbelis and Zeca if JVS takes one out for say Galanopoulos that would benefit us. As for Donis if he can get back to form he has shown that he is dangerous in attack taking on defenders with his dribbling, I hope we can see him back in the fold. As for Fetfa I have always backed him a tremendous attacking talent  but it seems his attitude has possibly done him in as he was late for a team meeting and it looks like JVS might not give him another call up.

15 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

Now we will probably need to beat Slovenia at home to top the Group. If we fail to top thIs Group, it will be another flop.

I wouldn't worry about Slovenia yet. We need to beat Moldova away first. Something that's not given considering yesterday's display.

• Like it 1

Hey guys, hope everyones been well and staying safe during these trying time. 

Stayed away from watching ethiniki for a while for obv reasons lol but still kept an eye on them over the last year. So saw the revamp, new additions, tactics from a far. Even heard that all of a sudden bakasetas had apparently learned to play soccer! 😂 

Anyways, wanted to get some games under my belt before I made any sort of commentary. I've watched the last 5 games in full, so I've gotten my feet wet lol

The good: this coach is obv far more competent than the bafoons we've had in the past. He seems to have been able to comprehend that its smart to look around the world at your entire talent pool and not have tunnel with selections. Although there are still many question marks for sure. The team is playing better, more attack minded soccer which I can't ever remember seeing. I never remember us pressing and controlling the play the way we have. Mind you we're not playing power houses either. But it's been nice to see huslte and hounding the other team for the ball back. And he seems to have a good feel on the  players that need to be brought into the game to sway the momentum or add to or change the game plan. 

The bad: there are very obvious things going on that he seems oblivious to. For 3 games he forced a cb to play rb, it didn't work, yet he kept at it. It stifled limnios effectiveness on the field at times in a major way, to the pt limnios and fortou are signalling hatzi to move up and make a run because he was clueless out there. I listened to jvs press conference, he said that they wanted to keep the right side defensive and that hatzi wasn't out there to provide attack. Well if that's the case why aren't your right winger or your star cam aware of this??? Bottom line it didn't work at all for any of the 3 games and the fact that he kept forcing it is baffling. Bakasetas can absolutely not be an automatic starter - he's got zero vision, can't make passes to open teams up, can't dribble, has a heavy touch, too slow. He only possesses a shot which he is almost never able to get off and clearly has to accuracy or iq of when to try and use it. We can't have him, zeca and kourb all in the middle together, non of them can make the type of pass that's needed to start an attack. 

Why he called up rota and barely used him is stupid. Like play him in the friendly!!! Instead he calls up tzavellas and plays him all 3 games. That clown had no business playing all 3 games. You wanna a call him up? Fine. but no need for him to play the full 90 in a friendly. Not changing the line up from the Moldova game to Kosovo was just.... We got lucky and got a penalty and they got a red, changed the whole game. How he looked at our line up and thought it worked so well he should field it again was just bizzare. Especially considering how much more we created once he made the subs, but nope, same line up. Then he waits till 20 mins left to put on fortou and pelkas, but takes off limnios... Limnios wasn't the issue and he clearly needed players on the field to help him sooner, that's bad coaching not recognizing that. 

This coach definitely has potential, but there still seems to be hints of mistakes of coaches pasts in his decision making and it's starting to show in a bad way. These aren't the types of errors that should be going on when he's had control of the team for a year or so now. 

• Like it 2

Im gonna disagree with a lot of people here by the way.

There is a huge problem at the CF, something we didnt have with Mitroglou the years 2013-2018. On those ages we made a few good chances on each match (that was the problem) yet he did manage to get a lot of them to go in. Now we have a totally different problem. We create by the fcking ton. And I mean a lot. I ve never seen the Ethniki create that much like it did in the last 3 games of NL. Kossovo - Moldova - Kossovo. 

I know the opposition is low but our opposition was equally low on the 2016 Euro Campaign , 2018 WC Campaign and 2020 Euro Campaign (excluding Belgium and Italy we re talking about nonexistent defences on all our campaigns - don't forget the 2 years ago Nations League). You wanna talk about how we should ve scored more past moldova? Watch our "golden year's video to be a reminder of how we played vs such nation.

I like the football of JVS. I do not like the selections, but if in the few years on going players like Tsimikas Limnios Giannoulis , Lamprou (my personal favorite) Retsos, Masouras (the Olympiakos RB loanie in Poland), Tzolis, Vasiliadis develop to their potential and players like Fountas, Fortounis Pelkinho , Chatzidiakos (as a CB), Vlachodimos, Zeka remain decent performancewise, we re in it for a decent squad.

In other words. The team ain't ready for success yet.

• Like it 2

The next 2 games are crucial of course

JVS must get us results or we may need to start over with somebody else.

Keep in mind this group is a (B pool) and there should not be any excuses.

Jvs has done some good things , but if we dont come  1st place the HFF

will react.

2 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Im gonna disagree with a lot of people here by the way.

There is a huge problem at the CF, something we didnt have with Mitroglou the years 2013-2018. On those ages we made a few good chances on each match (that was the problem) yet he did manage to get a lot of them to go in. Now we have a totally different problem. We create by the fcking ton. And I mean a lot. I ve never seen the Ethniki create that much like it did in the last 3 games of NL. Kossovo - Moldova - Kossovo. 

I know the opposition is low but our opposition was equally low on the 2016 Euro Campaign , 2018 WC Campaign and 2020 Euro Campaign (excluding Belgium and Italy we re talking about nonexistent defences on all our campaigns - don't forget the 2 years ago Nations League). You wanna talk about how we should ve scored more past moldova? Watch our "golden year's video to be a reminder of how we played vs such nation.

I like the football of JVS. I do not like the selections, but if in the few years on going players like Tsimikas Limnios Giannoulis , Lamprou (my personal favorite) Retsos, Masouras (the Olympiakos RB loanie in Poland), Tzolis, Vasiliadis develop to their potential and players like Fountas, Fortounis Pelkinho , Chatzidiakos (as a CB), Vlachodimos, Zeka remain decent performancewise, we re in it for a decent squad.

In other words. The team ain't ready for success yet.

I agree with you, we have good pieces and the guys you mentioned are heading in the right direction, it’s a young team and it will go through it’s up and downs before they start winning more consistently.. That’s how a rebuild is done.. For people who think the coach is going to snap his fingers and all of all of a sudden this team will be a top 20 team again obviously don’t have the knowledge of what an actual rebuild is.. There’s a learning curve and these young guys are going to lose games in order to learn how to win. Right now it’s important that young talent we value get there feet wet and start playing regularly to gain the experience.. This team will eventually come together and for the people who think changing the coach is the answer obviously haven’t been paying attention as we’ve gone through what 5 or 6 coaches with no change in results.. This coach had the balls to see the team was not going anywhere with the the “original” team so he’s started to rebuild the team which was well overdo.. I still don’t like a lot of his selections and decision making but we need to give him the opportunity for the 2020 World Cup and if they show progress but still don’t make it then that just means the team was not ready yet becasue changing the coach won’t do s%$#! right now for this team.. 

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 2

7 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I agree with you, we have good pieces and the guys you mentioned are heading in the right direction, it’s a young team and it will go through it’s up and downs before they start winning more consistently.. That’s how a rebuild is done.. For people who think the coach is going to snap his fingers and all of all of a sudden this team will be a top 20 team again obviously don’t have the knowledge of what an actual rebuild is.. There’s a learning curve and these young guys are going to lose games in order to learn how to win. Right now it it’s important that young talent we value get there feet wet and start playing regularly to gain the experience.. This team will eventually come together and for the people who think changing the coach is the answer obviously haven’t been paying attention as we’ve gone through what 5 or 6 coaches with no change in results.. This coach had the balls to see the team was no going anywhere with the the “original” team so he’s started to rebuild the team which was well overdo.. I still don’t like a lot of his selections and decision making but we need to give him the opportunity for the 2020 World Cup and if they show progress but still don’t make it then that just means the team was not ready yet becasue changing the coach won’t do s%$#! right now for this team.. 

I agree with both of you! 

jvs made a lot of well overdue changes, but there's still more work to be done. He said in the post gamer that that review and adjust after each game.... Well he better actually start fcking doing that cause that sort of logic and take on things looked non existent in the 3 games. Instead it looked like groundhog day with Bill Murray. 

I'm all for him trying things out, np trying a cb at rb cause you don't trust your young called up rb. Also np trying tzavellas at cb which has been his natural club position for a few yrs now, and nothing wrong with having a vet in the squad. 

And yes it's a rebuild, so there will be ups and downs, but even in a rebuild common sense still applies and I think we're all seeing some familiar issues coming back. Albeit not the same as before, but definitely things that shouldn't still be lingering. 

Anyways, let's see what he puts on the field in the next round of games and we'll go from there. 

• Like it 1

Look with abit more chemistry we could probably win 5-0 against Mulled-over.

The run down may well be: 2 penalties, one goal from a CB, one from one of the fullbacks and an own goal by them I'd say.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

2 hours ago, gsots said:

I agree with both of you! 

jvs made a lot of well overdue changes, but there's still more work to be done. He said in the post gamer that that review and adjust after each game.... Well he better actually start fcking doing that cause that sort of logic and take on things looked non existent in the 3 games. Instead it looked like groundhog day with Bill Murray. 

I'm all for him trying things out, np trying a cb at rb cause you don't trust your young called up rb. Also np trying tzavellas at cb which has been his natural club position for a few yrs now, and nothing wrong with having a vet in the squad. 

And yes it's a rebuild, so there will be ups and downs, but even in a rebuild common sense still applies and I think we're all seeing some familiar issues coming back. Albeit not the same as before, but definitely things that shouldn't still be lingering. 

Anyways, let's see what he puts on the field in the next round of games and we'll go from there. 

There are players in the super league like the one of Asteras Tripolis (Kotsiras) or Atromitos (Kyvrakidis) who would cover the RB position much better than a slow, heavy CB like Labropoulos. That's a common sense but there's someone in the bench who gets paid 600K per year to field up an abnormal side by all means.

I don’t want to keep repeating myself but how does having a 2 defensive midfielders, a CB at RB and a slow CAM like Bakasetas who also has poor technique going to help with scoring goals. Pavlidis and Fountas are doing great for their clubs. Scoring every week. The problem isn’t them. It’s the service around them and the IQ levels of certain players. Hatzidiakos I think is a great player. Not suited to play CB but definitely a great CB.

Tzavellas shouldn’t of been thought of and we have better in the long term than Svarnas. Giannoulis is fine at LB. Rota seemed alright in the ball, he should’ve played. Limnios has become a star for us. There’s not enough creativity from Zeca and Kourbelis. Bakasetas aswell isn’t that creative. I believe having these guys in midfield is what’s hurting our goal scoring s chances. What’s going to happen if we play 1 DM and 1 CM instead of 2 DMs??

I don’t why we resort to playing 2 holding midfielders. Vasiliadis, Galanopoulos or Mantalos need to play as an 8. At least these guys are more imaginative and better technically. I think Mantalos needs to take a break from being a starter as he hasn’t performed well lately.

• Like it 2

Agreed with Bakasetas he cant be starting on the NT and Fortounis sits? It makes no sense Bakasetas has no vision he has a strong shot but cant place his shots well and he missed the penalty. Fortounis has great vision, dribbling and all the technical ability and can deliver from set pieces but he comes on in the 78th minute when we need a goal? Hopefully that changes before he gets pissed off and says no to playing for the NT. 

Tzavellas starting these matches after a two and half year absence from the NT was perplexing. As for Pavlidis in the 1st half vs Kosovo he got his chances but he couldn't convert aside from the goal he scored that was then ruled offside. I still think he should get a callup but I would like JVS to start Fountas and see if he can deliver.

• Like it 1

16 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

As for Fetfa ... his attitude has possibly done him in as he was late for a team meeting and it looks like JVS might not give him another call up.

So it seems. Unless he told JVS to go <expletive> himself, then I don't get the life time ban. What is this? Maybe JVS doesn't rate him, or he's too old or he's too short. We could have done with his positional smarts on the RH side. Just saying.

For the record, Fetfa was subbed in 84' vs Bosnia (for Limnios), has played NMT 10 mins in a single match under JVS and assisted 1 goal for the NT.  Not bad.

• Like it 2

15 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

I wouldn't worry about Slovenia yet. We need to beat Moldova away first. Something that's not given considering yesterday's display.

Haha, no way. Moldova is ranked 175. There is only Liechtenstein, Malta, Gibraltar and San Marino beneath them in the Eurozone.

If we drop points, to Moldova, then better not come back to Greece. 

• Haha 1

We’ve never truly dominated a game. Even from Euro 2004 until now we’ve either just beaten teams worse than us 1-0 or 2-1 and lost to teams worse than is 1-0, 2-1. We got embarrassed against Colombia 3-0 in the World Cup and somehow drew against Japan. We won by a penalty against Ivory Coast. We somehow held Costa Rica. 

I’m not trying to be pessimistic but if you look at our history we’ve always struggled in many way either if it’s a win or a loss. This tells me that 1. Our players have been good enough to begin with or 2.we never truly play our best 11. 

The selections have always been a problem. And I ask why? Why is it so difficult for us to put a proper 11? International games are not played every week. So that’s why teams must choose the players available. A lot of players are young and most haven’t reached their potential yet. 

I don’t really know where I’m going with this but all I know when your struggling to win comfortably against teams like Moldova, Kosovo and lower then you have ask questions. Who is really picking the team? 

4 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

We’ve never truly dominated a game. Even from Euro 2004 until now we’ve either just beaten teams worse than us 1-0 or 2-1 and lost to teams worse than is 1-0, 2-1. We got embarrassed against Colombia 3-0 in the World Cup and somehow drew against Japan. We won by a penalty against Ivory Coast. We somehow held Costa Rica. 

I’m not trying to be pessimistic but if you look at our history we’ve always struggled in many way either if it’s a win or a loss. This tells me that 1. Our players have been good enough to begin with or 2.we never truly play our best 11. 

The selections have always been a problem. And I ask why? Why is it so difficult for us to put a proper 11? International games are not played every week. So that’s why teams must choose the players available. A lot of players are young and most haven’t reached their potential yet. 

I don’t really know where I’m going with this but all I know when your struggling to win comfortably against teams like Moldova, Kosovo and lower then you have ask questions. Who is really picking the team? 

That's a thing I have been shouting for since Skibbe era. Although I do realise we had a limited talent pool back then and were forced to play with Tziolis, Maniatis, Tzavellas etc as well as no real winger, if you actually remember. But we did have some players like Mitroglou, Manolas and Sokratis and missing any of them was a real pain in the ass, just go back and read the forum in these games.

Regarding your question I'm sure since the Epo is pro Aek/Paok, the owners of these clubs in connection with some known managers make the selections so for their players to get noticed by international scouters. Otherwise I literally can't explain how for example we keep watching Mantalos starting, or some Aek/Paok trashes like Michailidis and Svarnas making the squad. 

You'd have realised it yourself since there's no logic for a Dutch coach who played for years professional football at Ajax, rotating two CBs in the right back position.

Starting Bakasetas every game and Mantolas on the wing is a real problem for this team, We have much better options, I understand the frustration people have as even though this is a rebuild we are still not putting the right players in the right situation to succeed. Bakasetas should be a player coming off the bench if he's going to stay on the NT but definitely not a starter as it is deeply hindering our attack. Also the playing guys that have never played RB is causing a real problem for us. I'm not sure why every coach we've had in the last few years continue to play players out of their natural position and then we trash them for not having a good game but the reality is the coach is causing these guys to under perform but not playing them to there strengths. 

Regarding the upcoming games and finishing first, If we can't beat Moldova then we don't deserve to top this group as there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for not beating them. I hope Kosovo can take points away from Slovenia which will unsure they don't park the bus and play for the draw. JVS knows the NT has full control of this group, it's basic we win our next two games we win the group. 

• Like it 2

In 2014, the year we went to the WC quarterfinals, we beat Malta by one goal in extra time by Torosidis.  We never played well against worse teams.  The only difference now is that we are having more chances, back then, we would have one chance and score.  We are missing that striker that can make the finishes needed.  I agree with Bakesetas, he should be on the bench or when we want to slow the game down. Should not be in when we are chasing the goal.

• Like it 1

29 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

In 2014, the year we went to the WC quarterfinals, we beat Malta by one goal in extra time by Torosidis.  We never played well against worse teams.  The only difference now is that we are having more chances, back then, we would have one chance and score.  We are missing that striker that can make the finishes needed.  I agree with Bakesetas, he should be on the bench or when we want to slow the game down. Should not be in when we are chasing the goal.

That was a qualifier for Euro 2012.

9 hours ago, J1078 said:

Starting Bakasetas every game and Mantolas on the wing is a real problem for this team, We have much better options, I understand the frustration people have as even though this is a rebuild we are still not putting the right players in the right situation to succeed. Bakasetas should be a player coming off the bench if he's going to stay on the NT but definitely not a starter as it is deeply hindering our attack. Also the playing guys that have never played RB is causing a real problem for us. I'm not sure why every coach we've had in the last few years continue to play players out of their natural position and then we trash them for not having a good game but the reality is the coach is causing these guys to under perform but not playing them to there strengths. 

Regarding the upcoming games and finishing first, If we can't beat Moldova then we don't deserve to top this group as there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for not beating them. I hope Kosovo can take points away from Slovenia which will unsure they don't park the bus and play for the draw. JVS knows the NT has full control of this group, it's basic we win our next two games we win the group. 

JVS has the team playing attractive attacking football and creating many Grade A scoring opportunities. Our problem is finishing them off. We need a go to #9 like when we had Mitroglou to put away that one good chance. Hopefully Fountas can be that next guy. 

The NT has a great young pool of talent to draw from going into the World Cup qualifiers let’s hope they step it up and stay injury free. Also JVS must put the best 11 on the pitch and the players in there natural positions so we can succeed. Greece are also going to need to be lucky in the draw and avoid a powerhouse Pot 1 team which there are quite a few and the toughest Pot 2 side like say Italy.

Looking forward to the last 2 NL games. Greece have to beat Moldova and then get a win in Athens vs Slovenia to top the group. 

Guys, everyone needs to have a listen to "Gate 7 International Podcast" ! They're most recent podcast was about the NL games and they hit all the nails on the head perfectly! Talked about everything we've been saying in here. 

They brought up a very good pt as well - which is why on earth Staf and Baka have been wearing the captains armband... Neither of them have nay business being captain. They barely have business being part of the team. 

A while back guys on here brought up something about Staf, tzavellas and baka sharing an agent who has major pull with EPO. That could be what's going on here. Think about it, there was no need to try Staf at cb and baka certainly hasn't earned any of the playing time he continues to get. 

On the podcast they ptd out that the assist baka got on the mantalos goal was the first pass he's ever made that created a dangerous situation for the opposition... That's how useless he's been for the nt. 

We all have eyes, and unfortunately I think the curruption is still alive and well. If we don't see the proper adjustments made for the next round of games, then we know for sure it's still happening. Idk, I don't wanna sound like a loon, but what other explanation can there be for these plugs being given automatic starts?? And even though he subbed of baka, he didn't do it till the 70+ min. 

• Like it 3