Jump to content
Phantis Forums

Nations League: Greece - Moldova (11 Oct. 2020, Olympic Stadium, Athens)


Recommended Posts

It does.  We get promoted to League B + we slowly climb up the FIFA rankings.

For 2022 Qatar, Europe qualifiers

First round, 10 group winners automatically qualify for Qatar.

Second round (play-offs( will be contested by the ten group runners-up and the best two Nations League group winners, based on the Nations League overall rankings that finished outside the top two of their qualifying group. The format, is three groups of 4 (12 teams) vying for 3 places, playing single leg semi finals and a single leg final. No home and away games.

It's unlikely we will be Group winners in First round, so the best we can hope is a chance via the Second round.

It all helps.

Edited by kbxk508
  • Like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not hidden pal! I’m right here. If you’re sitting here waiting for him to get “sucked”, real good fan you are! Hoping the team does poorly so your mortal enemy gets fired. Not a good look. Ugly fo

The coach is doing fine. His job is to win and he’s doing that. Results matter not style points. If style points mattered, Italy would’ve sucked all those years. As long as he gets wins doesn’t matter

Boxou is now sad : (   Vant Schip will go down in the record books of great coaches for the Ethniki! 

He is a clown. When his players ditched him on the press conference he kicked them out. Now he is doing the same thing to Fortounis. Kinda diminishing him saying that "he is not even a starter at Olympiacos all the time". I can expect Fortounis dodging the next call ups and declining the invitation.  Every window that goes through I understand those clown Olympiacos fanatics that are saying that EPO is fighting them. I unironically keep agreeing with them every damn NT window.

 

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was also disappointed in his response especially when he said "Mantolas and Bakasetas were here from when I took over the team" So what does that mean? they should be automatic starters just because they were here when he took over the team?? That's a bad way of thinking.  He also mentioned that Fortounis is not getting playing time with his club team (so that's why he's not starting) Then why is Staf an automatic starter when he's healthy?? he doesn't play regularly for his club team.. He also wants the old crew gone but yet he invites and plays Tzavellas.. I see a lot of hypocrisy and contradictions. I will praise and defend JVS when he's right but I will also call him out when I think he's wrong. At the end of the day we never agreed with all the coaches selections post our last world cup appearance and that's the frustrating part because I think we all believe here that we still wont reach our full potential as we are not fielding our best possible line up. 

  • Like it 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

People who started bashing me when I was stating the obvious thing, that the coach is a total clown since August, are now hidden and probably trying to convince me how topping a group against Moldova and Kosovo with this ugly football and the corrupt call ups, is an amazing coaching job. Been waiting for the moment he is getting sucked.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think he’s getting sacked while putting up results right now you are living in a dream world.
Yes the call ups are not ideal in some cases I get it..The difference between me and you is I call it as I see it, I’m not a straight up hater, I give the coach credit when it’s warranted and I criticize when I see fit.. You have been hating from the start wether they play good or not.. Homie I don’t see anyone “Hidden” as you say, It’s almost like you want this team to lose just so JVS can get fired so you can some how feel inferior.. I’ve said it from the beginning I may not like the guys call ups but if he’s slowly rebuilding the team and wining at the same time then I’m okay with that even though I do get frustrated with his selections.. But I’ll tell you straight I never liked Skibbes selections and the other 3 coaches before him anyways..  So why don’t you put your ideal line up down here for everyone to see, let’s see what a team of Boxou looks like.. And There’s a difference between someone bashing you and someone Disagreeing with you..

Edited by J1078
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

It does.  We get promoted to League B + we slowly climb up the FIFA rankings.

For 2022 Qatar, Europe qualifiers

First round, 10 group winners automatically qualify for Qatar.

Second round (play-offs( will be contested by the ten group runners-up and the best two Nations League group winners, based on the Nations League overall rankings that finished outside the top two of their qualifying group. The format, is three groups of 4 (12 teams) vying for 3 places, playing single leg semi finals and a single leg final. No home and away games.

It's unlikely we will be Group winners in First round, so the best we can hope is a chance via the Second round.

It all helps.

Yes..Its vital that we top the group & have another opportunity to qualify for the World Cup should we need finish in first or second place in the wcup qualifiers. 

Also moving into League B and getting results there will help Greece's FIFA rank for the 2024 Euro qualification.

 

  • Like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boxou said:

People who started bashing me when I was stating the obvious thing, that the coach is a total clown since August, are now hidden and probably trying to convince me how topping a group against Moldova and Kosovo with this ugly football and the corrupt call ups, is an amazing coaching job. Been waiting for the moment he is getting sucked.

I’m not hidden pal! I’m right here. If you’re sitting here waiting for him to get “sucked”, real good fan you are! Hoping the team does poorly so your mortal enemy gets fired. Not a good look. Ugly football? We have been playing better since he has taken over. Haven’t lost a competitive match under him. And yes, topping the group would be awesome, considering we haven’t been successful in many years , yes I’ll take it

  • Like it 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boxou said:

People who started bashing me when I was stating the obvious thing, that the coach is a total clown since August, are now hidden and probably trying to convince me how topping a group against Moldova and Kosovo with this ugly football and the corrupt call ups, is an amazing coaching job. Been waiting for the moment he is getting sucked.

Ultimately JVS will be judged on how the World Cup qualification goes. If Greece qualify even with him sitting out key players at our disposal like Sokratis and Manolas then it wont matter his job will be secured and he will most likely oversee the Euro 2024 qualification. Remember the EPO doesn't have a big budget to spend on a coach and they have spent $ on coaches that lasted just a handful of games in Ranieri and Anastasiadis. 

 

 

  • Like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boxou said:

People who started bashing me when I was stating the obvious thing, that the coach is a total clown since August, are now hidden and probably trying to convince me how topping a group against Moldova and Kosovo with this ugly football and the corrupt call ups, is an amazing coaching job. Been waiting for the moment he is getting sucked.

Great stuff you are basically cheering against the Ethniki and want to see them fail because you have some huge dislike/agenda with JVS. The guy just started a year ago and has gotten the team results and pointed in the right direction. I too as a huge fan am not 100% behind his selections but at the end of the day he is the coach and we will see how the World Cup qualifiers go that's what he will be judged upon. You sound like a few other "fans" here who seem to be happy when Greece dont get results and then like to rub it in. In that case maybe you should go watch great football NT like that of Canada, Aruba, El Salvador etc...

  • Like it 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Santos getting 1-0 wins while playing defensive football against giants like Luxemburg/Malta.  Results matter, first and foremost.  At least now we are touching the ball, in the past we would play in our half the whole time.  Does anyone remember playing against Sweden in one of the finals??? We had possession, the ball would make it halfway up the pitch, the minute we were pressed, the ball would be passed back all the way to the goalkeeper. 

  • Like it 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

I remember Santos getting 1-0 wins while playing defensive football against giants like Luxemburg/Malta.  Results matter, first and foremost.  At least now we are touching the ball, in the past we would play in our half the whole time.  Does anyone remember playing against Sweden in one of the finals??? We had possession, the ball would make it halfway up the pitch, the minute we were pressed, the ball would be passed back all the way to the goalkeeper. 

I was just talking about that game, in Euro 2008. Literally the centerbacks passed it back and forth about 20 min straight!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The coach is doing fine. His job is to win and he’s doing that. Results matter not style points. If style points mattered, Italy would’ve sucked all those years. As long as he gets wins doesn’t matter against who it is. You only play what’s on your schedule. It’s not their fault they’re playing the garbage of garbage. And remember, some of you think they have guys like Mbappe, Halland and Alphonso Davies hidden somewhere. They don’t. They have to make do with what they have. 

  • Like it 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brklyngrk said:

I remember Santos getting 1-0 wins while playing defensive football against giants like Luxemburg/Malta.  Results matter, first and foremost.  At least now we are touching the ball, in the past we would play in our half the whole time.  Does anyone remember playing against Sweden in one of the finals??? We had possession, the ball would make it halfway up the pitch, the minute we were pressed, the ball would be passed back all the way to the goalkeeper. 

Yes the results are the bottom line first and foremost. There have been matches under JVS vs Bosnia, Armenia, and Finland were the team was playing nice one touch football and moving the ball around the park beautifully but Greece are not Brazil or France so there are going to be games that we still have to win in an ugly fashion like when Santos was coaching. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s what I don’t understand, even when we were at our best and making tournaments all the time we were still playing ugly football,  we were beating minnows 1-0 and when we played a mediocre team that had some offence they all stood behind midfield just trying to defend and hope we were lucky enough to catch a team on the counter.. at least JVS has the team playing offence and not parking the bus..  I think some guys need to go back and remind themselves how this team use to win in the past and it wasn’t pretty.. Now we were playing better in our last few euro qualifying games with JVS then we are now I will admit that but I think its a process this rebuilding team needs to go through in order to take that next step.

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, J1078 said:

That’s what I don’t understand, even when we were at our best and making tournaments all the time we were still playing ugly football,  we were beating minnows 1-0 and when we played a mediocre team that had some offence we they all stood behind midfield just trying to defend and hope we were lucky enough to catch a team on the counter.. at least JVS has the team playing offence and not parking the bus..  I think some guys need to go back and remind them self how this team use to win in the past and it wasn’t pretty.. Now we were playing better in our last few euro qualifying games then we are now I will admit that but I think its a process and I like some others I hoping we top this group and continue getting results.

The long layoff between games due to the pandemic didn't help the Ethniki either and missing so many key players due to injury has affected us. Lets just hope Greece are as close to injury free as possible when World Cup qualifying starts in March.

  • Like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, J1078 said:

If you think he’s getting sacked while putting up results right now you are living in a dream world.
Yes the call ups are not ideal in some cases I get it..The difference between me and you is I call it as I see it, I’m not a straight up hater, I give the coach credit when it’s warranted and I criticize when I see fit.. You have been hating from the start wether they play good or not.. Homie I don’t see anyone “Hidden” as you say, It’s almost like you want this team to lose just so JVS can get fired so you can some how feel inferior.. I’ve said it from the beginning I may not like the guys call ups but if he’s slowly rebuilding the team and wining at the same time then I’m okay with that even though I do get frustrated with his selections.. But I’ll tell you straight I never liked Skibbes selections and the other 3 coaches before him anyways..  So why don’t you put your ideal line up down here for everyone to see, let’s see what a team of Boxou looks like.. And There’s a difference between someone bashing you and someone Disagreeing with you..

vlachodimos - barkas

tsimikas - giannoulis

manolas - siovas - mavropanos - chatzidiakos

baldock - lykogiannis

galanopoulos - zeca - kourmpelis - bouchalakis

fortounis - pelkas

donis - fountas - masouras - limnios

pavlidis - koulouris - bakasetas

 

sokratis and mitroglou should definitely be around if they start being active on their teams again. other options for the back are retsos, kyriakopoulos, stafylidis (who should start playing again), perhaps mpakakis but i don't rate him. vasileiadis is a good alternative in the midfield and i personally rate him above kourmpelis who can't play the ball forward and is an average player at the very best. wouldn't mind having fetfatzidis or chatzigiovannis but the latter should step up his game, and tzolis needs to prove himself more to earn a place in the team.

as you see half of the squad such like lampropoulos who is a 30 year old defender playing in bundesliga 2 is a joke of a player and more of a joke is this clown in the bench who uses him or chatzidiakos as a right back and as a result he kills the offensive tempo and makes us useless since they can't either cross, run or be offensive against quicker and shorter players. fcking lmao not even an amauter coach puts a centre back to play in the right and a left back like stafylidis as a centre back.

mantalos is totally useless while tzavellas, michailidis and such call ups are not even worth mentioning.

  • Like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Boxou said:

vlachodimos - barkas

tsimikas - giannoulis

manolas - siovas - mavropanos - chatzidiakos

baldock - lykogiannis

galanopoulos - zeca - kourmpelis - bouchalakis

fortounis - pelkas

donis - fountas - masouras - limnios

pavlidis - koulouris - bakasetas

 

sokratis and mitroglou should definitely be around if they start being active on their teams again. other options for the back are retsos, kyriakopoulos, stafylidis (who should start playing again), perhaps mpakakis but i don't rate him. vasileiadis is a good alternative in the midfield and i personally rate him above kourmpelis who can't play the ball forward and is an average player at the very best. wouldn't mind having fetfatzidis or chatzigiovannis but the latter should step up his game, and tzolis needs to prove himself more to earn a place in the team.

as you see half of the squad such like lampropoulos who is a 30 year old defender playing in bundesliga 2 is a joke of a player and more of a joke is this clown in the bench who uses him or chatzidiakos as a right back and as a result he kills the offensive tempo and makes us useless since they can't either cross, run or be offensive against quicker and shorter players. fcking lmao not even an amauter coach puts a centre back to play in the right and a left back like stafylidis as a centre back.

mantalos is totally useless while tzavellas, michailidis and such call ups are not even worth mentioning.

Not a bad line up at all. I have to admit i don't know too much about Baldock...

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Boxou said:

vlachodimos - barkas

tsimikas - giannoulis

manolas - siovas - mavropanos - chatzidiakos

baldock - lykogiannis

galanopoulos - zeca - kourmpelis - bouchalakis

fortounis - pelkas

donis - fountas - masouras - limnios

pavlidis - koulouris - bakasetas

 

sokratis and mitroglou should definitely be around if they start being active on their teams again. other options for the back are retsos, kyriakopoulos, stafylidis (who should start playing again), perhaps mpakakis but i don't rate him. vasileiadis is a good alternative in the midfield and i personally rate him above kourmpelis who can't play the ball forward and is an average player at the very best. wouldn't mind having fetfatzidis or chatzigiovannis but the latter should step up his game, and tzolis needs to prove himself more to earn a place in the team.

as you see half of the squad such like lampropoulos who is a 30 year old defender playing in bundesliga 2 is a joke of a player and more of a joke is this clown in the bench who uses him or chatzidiakos as a right back and as a result he kills the offensive tempo and makes us useless since they can't either cross, run or be offensive against quicker and shorter players. fcking lmao not even an amauter coach puts a centre back to play in the right and a left back like stafylidis as a centre back.

mantalos is totally useless while tzavellas, michailidis and such call ups are not even worth mentioning.

Not bad indeed old friend. Only ones I disagree with are Sokratis, as I think he can’t run anymore and with three in the back he will struggle. I don’t rate Vasiliadis, and I’d still have Bakakis in there. Fetfazidis is about as useless as a rudder on a ducks a**

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Not a bad line up at all. I have to admit i don't know too much about Baldock...

he is a starter in premier league with sheffield united, last year didn't miss any single game if i'm not mistaken. definitely gonna be a huge upgrade over those lampropoulos/chatzidiakos tryouts or even mpakakis. rota needs to step up his game, he's not nt level yet.

  • Like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, PaokCT said:

Not bad indeed old friend. Only ones I disagree with are Sokratis, as I think he can’t run anymore and with three in the back he will struggle. I don’t rate Vasiliadis, and I’d still have Bakakis in there. Fetfazidis is about as useless as a rudder on a ducks a**

i'd rather have fetfatzidis in the wing than mantalos who has been playing out of position for some retarded reason and can't offer anything.

  • Like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bakasetas and Mandolas would not start at olympiakos either cant compare AEK or that Turkish team whose name escapes me. Anyways getting results is good but fortounis talent cant be ignored .His weakness is he is very soft and has to be more aggressive mentally and physically 

Edited by jason
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...