Phantis Forums

Friendly: Austria - Greece (7 Oct. 2020, Wörthersee Stadion, Klagenfurt)

Dutch Eagle

The right back lambropoulos was horrible, very low energy on defense. I was watching him on the second goal walking towards the ball handler in the box. I understand that this is an inexperienced team, but the one thing I expect from our young players is intensity and hustle. Both goals came from The left attacking flank. Also koulouris didn’t get much playing time but the little bit he did was mess up several fast breaks.

loved the goal series Limnios pass to fountas to fortounis.

also not a fan of Dioudis in goal. His every goal kick resulted in a turnover of possession. No significant saves that I can recall... for the love of god why does he refuse to play vlachodimos.

I feel like coach should have an idea of who he will be playing regularly by now but it seems like we are Still making a lot of changes to our line up. Consistency is also important in building the team chemistry. 

• Like it 1

10 minutes ago, Bardouuu said:

The right back lambropoulos was horrible, very low energy on defense. I was watching him on the second goal walking towards the ball handler in the box. I understand that this is an inexperienced team, but the one thing I expect from our young players is intensity and hustle. Both goals came from The left attacking flank. Also koulouris didn’t get much playing time but the little bit he did was mess up several fast breaks.

loved the goal series Limnios pass to fountas to fortounis.

also not a fan of Dioudis in goal. His every goal kick resulted in a turnover of possession. No significant saves that I can recall... for the love of god why does he refuse to play vlachodimos.

I feel like coach should have an idea of who he will be playing regularly by now but it seems like we are Still making a lot of changes to our line up. Consistency is also important in building the team chemistry. 

The first goal we were caught napping of a throw in but Austria worked it well. I agree with you about Dioudis & I’m a PAO fan he’s not ready yet for the NT. I don’t get why Vlachodimos isn’t playing?  Koulouris screwed up a few counters. I’ve seen enough of him JVS should have kept Fountas in. 
Fortounis with amazing control and a great composed finish, he has so much skill. Limnios was solid today and gave a great ball on the goal to Fortounis..

I thought we were poor today. Apart from the lead up to the goal and the goal itself we looked disjointed. We need also find proper replacements at CB. Svarnas, Tzavellas, Stafylidis and Michailidis are the not the answer to replace Manolas and Sokratis. 

The only CBs I would put faith in is Hatzidiakos, Retsos and Mavropanos. With them all fit and playing they should be in the team every time.

• Like it 1

Meh it's a friendly, plenty of changes were made and there will be plenty more made ahead of the nations league matches. 

Giannoulis, Xatzidiakos, Pavlidis, Bakakis (if fit) and one of Vlaho/Barkas will come in for a start. There could be more changes beyond that. 

He tried some new players, something he hasn't had a chance to do since he took over as this was our first friendly in that time. I'm surprised he didn't give Rota any minutes, I mean if you don't trust him at all why have him in the squad? He was literally the only fit right back in the squad, even if JVS was "saving" him for NL you would think he'd give Rota a taste off the bench in a friendly. Instead he shoehorned Lampropoulos in there, doesn't make any sense to me. 

But jeez an average performance in a friendly and people start calling for Sokratis and Manolas to return, after everything we've been through these past 18 or so months. Just gives you a little snapshot of what you're up against in Greece trying to build something. 

• Like it 2

This is lineup I would like to see on Sunday

Vlaho

Bakakis Hatzidiakos Tzavellas (not really but who else?) Yiannoulis

Kourbelis Bouchalakis

Limnios Fortounis Fountas

Pavlidis

Obviously can't wait til Restsos, Mavropanos become available. Where are these two? Are they close to getting

back? Tsimikas is crucial for me, need this guy playing for us. Also Donis up front. Is he injured also? He has to

start sticking to a core of 26 players and letting the team gel and build chemistry. Too many new faces all the

time. I guess he wants to decide who he will go with come World Cup qualifying.

A few things are starting to concern me.

-We have not played anywhere close to how we finished the last euro campaign, we don't have the same energy or attacking, we've looked sloppy and confused at times and aren't plying with the same flow.

-Way to many changes and faces, i understand you want to try new guys but at some point you need to stick with a core group of players and let them build chemistry.

-We need to find a better combination of midfielders which is our age old problem. Still not sure who is the best combo

-Our defenders are fine against weaker teams but the minute they play a better opponent they will be in trouble. in a perfect world yes we would have Manolas and Siovas on the team but it seems like that ship has sailed so who fills that role? I think JVS s looking for guys in the back that can move the ball and help create counter attacks as well as good passers but are those type of players good enough to shut it down wen they need too?

-Maybe JVS is just using these friendless and Nations league games to prepare for 2020 Qatar and he's using these games to find the team he wants to move forward with. 

• Like it 2

40 minutes ago, J1078 said:

A few things are starting to concern me.

-We have not played anywhere close to how we finished the last euro campaign, we don't have the same energy or attacking, we've looked sloppy and confused at times and aren't plying with the same flow.

-Way to many changes and faces, i understand you want to try new guys but at some point you need to stick with a core group of players and let them build chemistry.

-We need to find a better combination of midfielders which is our age old problem. Still not sure who is the best combo

-Our defenders are fine against weaker teams but the minute they play a better opponent they will be in trouble. in a perfect world yes we would have Manolas and Siovas on the team but it seems like that ship has sailed so who fills that role? I think JVS s looking for guys in the back that can move the ball and help create counter attacks as well as good passers but are those type of players good enough to shut it down wen they need too?

-Maybe JVS is just using these friendless and Nations league games to prepare for 2020 Qatar and he's using these games to find the team he wants to move forward with. 

I doubt it is that. A coach who can only play one system is a system babby. And that is what JVS is. He can only play 3-4-3. Αnd players who don't he can't somehow make them fit in there (biggest example is Fortounis). Problem with Austria match was simple. JVS focused on CBs building up game which could not happen with the current faces. Sokratis could do that. Siovas could do that. Stafylidis could do that. Hatzidiakos can (to some extend), and I expect Retsos when fit and match ready to also do that - guy is good with his feet. What happened instead with Austria is midfield and defence being unable to build (because Lambropoulos is a low budget CB and  Kyriakopoulos although good and excellent defensively, has not the offensive ability of Tsimikas or even Giannoulos.

Fountas on the wings and Limnios on the wings proved that they have talent. Fortounis I still dont understand what position he plays at and I believe he could not undestand either. Mantalos was too poor, for yet another game.

I do not think we ll have a problem to break the Moldova defence with these an offence like Fountas - Fortounis - Limnios and Koulouris just to pressure them (only thing he can do apparently). Kossovo I am sure though we will be lucky if we draw. And if we draw its gonna be a do-or-die match vs Slovenia at home, which I'd rather we didn't have to live again in such a group.

Also, I expect some agreement from both sides (Epo and the banned players) in the near future after some bad results happen.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 2

14 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Watching Euro playoff games. I still can’t believe we didn’t make the Euros and f*** up a playoff spot when Ange was in charge vs Estonia. How ridiculous!

The ghosts of losing to the Faroe Islands must still be a haunting this team. No way should Greece be looking up to teams like Belarus, Northern Mac, Israel and the rest. 

Here are the goals from the Austria game.

https://highlightsfootball.net/video/austria-vs-greece-highlights/

• Lazarus changed the title to Friendly: Austria - Greece (7 Oct. 2020, Wörthersee Stadion, Klagenfurt)
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic