Phantis Forums

Konstantinos Tsimikas - Liverpool F.C.

Argy

Happy and proud to start this thread. The reigning European and EPL champions, and one of the biggest clubs in the world, have signed Kostas Tsimikas from Olympiacos for 11.75 m pounds. He will be the second Greek to play for Liverpool after Sotirios Kyrgiakos' relatively successful stint with the English club 10 years ago. He will slot right into the first team as left fullback cover behind Robertson. Hopefully will soon challenge him for the top spot. Exciting time for Greek football as, depending how this plays out, this can be the biggest transfer in Greek football history. Let's hope we can also get back to International play and give our NT some spotlight with their Liverpool fullback. 

• Like it 3

• Argy changed the title to Konstantinos Tsimikas - Liverpool F.C.
  • Argy pinned this topic

Agree it's a massive signing for him and Greek football. He is the 2nd Greek I believe to play for Liverpool after Sotirios Kyrgiakos, who went to Liverpool just as they were entering one of their darkest times in recent memory. This transfer has a far different feel to it. 

He will be given games, Robertson essentially only had the 34 year old James Milner (who is a midfielder) as cover over last season. So you would think he will get his chance in at least 15-20 matches across the season. Then it's up to him to prove himself and perform well. It won't be easy to dislodge Robertson but regardless even being his back-up is a pretty big deal. 

Congratulations to him and good luck!

• Like it 1

• 1 month later...

Tsimikas is listed as a sub for today's game against Chelsea. Truly a great moment for Greek football. Transfermarkt has Liverpool as the most valuable club at 1.21 billion euros. Has any other Greek before him been in the lineup of a club team in the pole position?

• Like it 1

Kyrgiakos arrived just as Liverpool were entering their darkest period in recent memory. He had one season under Benitez where the team was knocked out in the Champions league group stage and didn't finish in the top 4. There after he had Roy Hodgson and an older Kenny Daglish as his manager who was well passed his best days as a manager. 

Tsimikas has walked into a much stronger club but by the same token it's gonna be tough for him to break into the starting team, Robertson's form over the first 2 games has been exceptional. I think the Tsimikas signing has lit a fire under him. Kosta knew he was going to be a depth option and would have to fight for his spot so I'm sure he's not shocked. 

Regardless he should make his official debut in mid-week, Liverpool take on Lincoln City in the EFL Cup. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tsimikas actually started in the game against Lincoln city. It was a blowout win for Liverpool. Tsimimas seemed nervous to me. Didn’t play bad though. He was making safe back passes for the most part. He had one or two good crosses into the box. No notable mistakes really. He needs to build confidence. I imagine he may be feeling a bit of imposter syndrome. 

2 hours ago, Bardouuu said:

Tsimikas our with a “thigh injury” won’t be participating in the match against arsenal. It is said he won’t be back until after the International break.

Tough break, I really wanted to see him play with the NT in October...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

He was subbed off injured at the hour mark.

Also our mate Kosta uploaded something interesting to social media which is getting some attention in the media in the UK

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-tsimikas-instagram-champions-league-19417049

0_Tsimikas.jpg

HAHA bravo Kostas!

• Dutch Eagle unpinned this topic
  • 6 months later...

Played the whole match in the opening match of the season for Liverpool. Probably because Robertson was injured. Got a clean sheet against Norwich City. If he is doing well he might give Klopp a headache which of them to start. 

• Like it 1

I only watched the highlights against Norwich but besides getting completely Crossed over by a Norwich winger, it seems like he had a good game, some great corner kicks, crosses, and even a decent shot on target. 

im impressed with his delivery.. I didn’t see much of gianoulis in the highlights with the exception of a cross that was caught by the keeper

• Like it 1

To me he seemed nervous and made a few mistakes on the ball where he took too long and was caught in possession. Was okay but will need to clean up the errors against better opposition he will be punished, something I think he is capable of doing. 

Great game from Tsimikas as he grabbed an assist in Liverpool's 2-0 win against Burnley. Cut out all the mistakes from last week and was quite solid defensively. He was named man of the match! 

The bad news for him is that Robertson is fit again (he was on the bench) and will probably take his spot in the starting XI next weekend against Chelsea. Regardless Tsimikas has shown Klopp he can trust him and use him more often this season, I suspect he will see more game-time this season. 

• Like it 3

• 7 months later...

2 assists and a man of the match performance from him in the 2nd leg of the Champions league quarter final tie with Benfica. Match ended 3-3 and Liverpool qualify 6-4 on aggregate. Big improvement this season, he's played 21 games this time around with still 10 or so to play. Last year he only managed 7 total appearances.

He is still no.2 behind Robertson, but it's obvious Klopp now trusts him and the fans love him too. Every time he plays he does well, it's all he can do. He just has one of the world's best in front of him.

Will be interesting to see what he does this upcoming summer. It is clear he could be starting at 12 or so other Premier League clubs, but he seems quite connected with Liverpool the club and city. I think he'll stay as a back-up for another season before contemplating a potential move. 

• Like it 1