Phantis Forums

CL-QR2: PAOK - Besiktas (25-Aug-20, 21:00 EEST)

Blackhawk

pleasantly surprised by this win... i must admit i was prepared for a belting this game.

the victory is even sweeter against a turkish team, and given how hard they were bashing us on the PAOK socials in the lead up to the game.

Fortunately Zivkovic had a good game. The pieces are there to get our act together defensively, but ultimately Besiktas was too sloppy to be able to capitalize on anything, fortunately.

7 hours ago, PaokCT said:

@pashtell him how good of a singer I am

It's not just that your singing is incredible. The sheer range of emotion you can show with just an eyebrow raise is truly amazing. You are a credit to your people.

• Like it 2

9 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

Really? I thought he was very good once again in a big game and showed exactly what he can offer when we are playing a European match. He was a cool head with the ball, always making the right decision and playing the right pass. He showed his quality and you don't come across players like this everyday. Anyways I'm a long time out-spoken fan of Omar, he seems he could be sold given he only has one year left on his contract and he wants a return to Italy. But if he was willing to take a pay-cut (doubtful although in the post COVID footballing landscape who knows) then I would be keeping him, he is an important player to have for derbies and in Europe. 

I didn't think the game suited Schwab, it was very stretched and end to end. I feel he's the type of player that will thrive when we have possession and can build up. He was solid never the less and the ball he played out to Giannoulis for the 1-0 was brilliant. 

El Kaddouri does literally nothing for months on end and then in a big game he shows up. I guess him showing up once in a while is a good thing, but to me the damning part is what happens the rest of the time. If he were willing to take a pay cut, by the way, then he would have done that already IMO! That's half the reason his transfer last winter (or was it summer?) didn't work out...

As for Schwab...considering how much of a disaster most of our new players are in their first game, I think he did just fine. He certainly should look even better going forward.

Agree to disagree (I feel like we've had this conversation before my beautiful boy) he is what he is, it's just in the big games the basics are even more important so he stands out a little more. I've always thought he's not a difference maker, especially in a game against a team that has parked the bus. If he leaves, PAOK won't fall apart but for the right price I think he has an important role to play. 

In terms of money, you're still thinking of the landscape pre-COVID. Plenty of teams are cutting their budgets and what you could have got 6 months ago you can't get now, be that transfer fee or as a wage. 

47 minutes ago, pash said:

But if he couldn't get that salary before, why would he have incentive to accept less now??

Because if he doesn't accept less somewhere then chances are he won't be playing football next year? He was never going to sign a new contract when his current deal is still running and he's on close to a million (I think) and no one not in Italy or anywhere else was going to give him a contract worth that much, why wouldn't he sit on it? 

I don't follow - if he sits on his contract this year and extracts what value he can (I believe he's on more than a million), then the next year he could accept 400k or whatever is more reasonable for a player of his caliber, right? I don't see why him being a free agent who is willing to be flexible regarding salary would force action on his part this year.

Don't get me wrong, I don't despise the guy. I just don't think he's better than most of our options, and certainly not worthy of what we've been paying him. Coaches seem to love him though, so I guess that goes for a lot as well.

You mean in terms of him forcing a move this year? I don't follow you either I think we've kind of been talking about 2 different things and have walked in a bit of a circle 😂 I'm only on a few hours sleep from the game this morning so my cognitive abilities are down and they are quite poor when I'm on a good amount of sleep. 

I'm with paokarag4 concerning El Kaddouri.  He has very good technique and composure and I think that's why managers like him.  He knows the game.  He definitely switches on for bigger games or maybe it could be the extra space on the pitch suits him and he can play his game.  For your average GSL match where the opposition park the bus he does seem disinterested and struggles to get into the match.  He doesn't have that ability to impose himself or force a situation in those sorts of games.  He has his place in the squad.  Happy to have him if he'd like to stay but if he goes I think we'll be fine.

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, pash said:

if he sits on his contract this year and extracts what value he can (I believe he's on more than a million), then the next year he could accept 400k or whatever is more reasonable for a player of his caliber, right? 

He is making 800K a year and will most likely stay for the rest of his contract with PAOK unless some Italian team pays us some decent money, which I don't see. I think he will finish the season with us and then move on. If he stays injury free he will be a helpful asset for Ferreira this season.

He will not take a pay cup after his contract ends. The pay cut proposed to old players such as Mauricio/Vierinha turned into the players moving on. I expect the same with El Kaddouri.

I did read they had a whinge about it but I thought it was just for the Turkish newspapers and fans.

https://www.dailysabah.com/sports/football/paok-knocks-besiktas-down-to-europa-league-with-3-1-defeat

Apparently El Kaddouri should have been sent off ?  Malintent - such a nasty word.  I love it when they get salty, ha ha.

Quote:

Yalçın also blamed the referees for questionable choices, saying that one of the goals PAOK scored was likely an offside but the absence of a video-assisted referee (VAR) system made it impossible to know for sure.

“We didn’t expect such bad calls from the referees. They made terrible calls. You would never see referees with such malintent in the Champions League. PAOK’s No. 7 (Omar El Kaddouri) would have been sent out at least three times in a normal match,” he fumed.

Let them take it to CAS. We should get banned from European competition and relegated in the SL.

Expect to see Marinakis file their equivalent of an amicus brief, in support of Besiktas' position.

• Like it 1

13 hours ago, pash said:

Let them take it to CAS. We should get banned from European competition and relegated in the SL.

Expect to see Marinakis file their equivalent of an amicus brief, in support of Besiktas' position.

With the current geopolitics this might be the only thing to get Marinakis thrown out.