Phantis Forums

CL-QR2: PAOK - Besiktas (25-Aug-20, 21:00 EEST)

Blackhawk

Is 18 players the maximum they were allowed to bring?

Also, I noticed that yesterday's CL final involved only four subs per team. So what is it for this game? Three? Four? Five?! So confusing!

18 players for our game and three subs. A fourth if there is extra time.

Yesterday the teams were allowed five subs but they did just use only four.

Also good to mention that there will be NO - I repeat NO - VAR tomorrow.

Exactly, only 3 subs allowed (4 if the game goes to extra time).

The worst thing is that there is no VAR.

Leaving Matos out is a big mistake IMHO. There is more going on behind the scenes than we know. Vieirinha is an example of that.

These are the players picked for the game:

Πασχαλάκης, Ζίβκοβιτς, Ροντρίγκο, Βαρέλα, Ίνγκασον, Κρέσπο, Μιχαηλίδης, Γιαννούλης, Εσίτι, Σβαμπ, Ελ Καντουρί, Μπίσεσβαρ, Πέλκας, Ζαμπά, Λημνιός, Σφιντέρσκι, Άκπομ,  Τζόλης

with than in mind I expect this lineup:

------------- Paschalakis -------------
--- Ingason -- Varela -- Michailidis ---
----- Schwab -------- El Kaddouri ----
Rodrigo ------------------- Giannoulis
------- Pelkas ---------- Tzolis ------- 
------------- Akpom ------------------

Would not be surprised to see Crespo instead of Michailidis or Limnios instead of Rodrigo

10 minutes ago, Soprano76 said:

Was not expecting this result at all. Bravo paidia!

Game could or rather should have ended 5-2 of 6-3. Akpom missed a penalty. And we (just like Besiktas) did not score some very good chances. 

Downloaded a VPN and watched the game. Pretty damn good quality, would recommend. I am about 10 drinks in at this point but will try to remain cogent.

AHHHHHHH WE SMACKED THEM AROUND LIKE LITTLE BABIES AHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Team looked so much better than last season. Holy s%$#! what an improvement. Besiktas couldn't pass for s%$#! but WOW what a performance by Tzolis. Great assists by Giannoulis and Akpom as well. And for the first time in ages, it didn't feel like our set piece defending was going to lead to our downfall. SO happy with this result.

• Like it 1

We played a very good 1st half. Missed a penalty as well.

Besiktas had some chanced in 2nd half to get back into the game, but in the end we prevailed.

Hero of the game was Tzolis who scored two goals and assisted on the third.

Draw for next round is no Monday. We will face one of the following: Benfica, Dinamo Kiev, or AA Gent.

At the very least we have secured a spot in the Europa League group stage.

Well I gotta say I wasn't expecting to win, purely based on our very poor form in Europe in the last few seasons and the fact there are so many changes in recent times to the system and first team players.  Add to that the dramas with Matos in the last 24 hours.  We'll see what comes of that.

Either way you cut it, this is a massive win.  Qualifying for EL Group Stages is absolutely critical and we have achieved that.  The pressure is off so to speak.

Amazing performance! Standout players for me where: Tsiolis, Giannoulis, Schwab (looks like a good signing). If Akpom didnt miss the penalty he would of been in top 3 payers list performance for me. 

Why did we drop pashalakis? 

How bad is Rodrigos injury? 

Do you guys feel that we need to sell Elkhaddouri & get a much better more improved CM ? 

Where the klappa from the US who was saying we were going to loose?

For me El Kaddouri still needs to go. Just too damn expensive!

Schwab's pass was good, and I look forward to seeing what he can do once he's fully incorporated into the team.

Give me anyone but Benfica. Though if there's any time we can do it, it's in a random one-off game like this.

44 minutes ago, pash said:

For me El Kaddouri still needs to go. Just too damn expensive!

Schwab's pass was good, and I look forward to seeing what he can do once he's fully incorporated into the team.

Give me anyone but Benfica. Though if there's any time we can do it, it's in a random one-off game like this.

Really? I thought he was very good once again in a big game and showed exactly what he can offer when we are playing a European match. He was a cool head with the ball, always making the right decision and playing the right pass. He showed his quality and you don't come across players like this everyday. Anyways I'm a long time out-spoken fan of Omar, he seems he could be sold given he only has one year left on his contract and he wants a return to Italy. But if he was willing to take a pay-cut (doubtful although in the post COVID footballing landscape who knows) then I would be keeping him, he is an important player to have for derbies and in Europe. 

I didn't think the game suited Schwab, it was very stretched and end to end. I feel he's the type of player that will thrive when we have possession and can build up. He was solid never the less and the ball he played out to Giannoulis for the 1-0 was brilliant. 

• Like it 1

I, along with Pash, got drunk tonight and he got to see a couple of my videos 😉 

I think El Kaddouri played great actually. One of his best games with PAOK. Zivkovic played because he’s more calm than Pashalakis. In big games , he usually chokes. I feel like with Zivko , he calmed the game down a great amount