Phantis Forums

Transfer News and Rumors - Summer 2020

Blackhawk

Pelkas has served the club well.  I'm happy for him to go if that's what he really wants - good luck to him.  Obviously would have preferred he stays but he is, with no offense intended, replaceable.  Still, always hurts when one of your own leaves.

• Like it 1

18 hours ago, Bananas said:

Pelkas has served the club well.  I'm happy for him to go if that's what he really wants - good luck to him.  Obviously would have preferred he stays but he is, with no offense intended, replaceable.  Still, always hurts when one of your own leaves.

We sold him for freaking 1.6 million. 1.6 million in 2020. We have newpapers being excited about selling a player for 1.6 mill. Its ridiculous. We want to be a big team yet we sell players for nothing. We spent more on players that end up being  worse then Pelkas.

We sold him before having a guaranteed proven replacement. Just how we sold Akpom before having a replacement. That arguably costed us Champions league. 

If Pelkas wanted to leave then we should had let him go after Europa league, he would have been on display there and we could have asked for more, however that wouldn't have happened because we just want to sell players for crap, we think like a small team, and as long as we think like that Paok will be small.

Selling players expensively is the only way we can get increase our budget with this Financial Fair play crap, unless by some stroke of luck some sponsor that is completely unrelated to Savidis decides to poor millions in Paok.

Edited by Nilaul

Correct. We don't have much leverage, especially if the player is not interested in signing a new contract. Fenerbahce needing to spend less on an acquisition probably netted him a higher salary as well. Smart move by him, particularly since Turkish clubs are all having such financial issues these days.

The contract of Pelkas, Akpom and Limnios were expiring in June 2021. On January 1, 2021 they could agree with any team for free and PAOK would not see a penny.

The important thing was to renegotiate their contracts last year. As far as I know Pelkas and Akpom refused to negotiate. If we did not sell them now even at the low prices we would most likely lose both players for free.

@Athens4  and Vieirinha too.

By the end of the day we need to give UEFA the list of players for the Europa League group stage games. Once we supply it, we can't make any additions or changes, so if we want to sign a free agent and have him available for European games we have to sign them today. Would not be surprised if Mauricio and Vieirinha are announced by the end of the day.

Apparently Mauricio rejected our latest offer of around 400k a year. They seem to be saying that him knocking back the offer doesn't mean it's over and we'll be back at the negotiation table with him. 

For what it's worth I don't really want him back, he's missed the whole pre-season and early part of the season chasing a 1 million + contract that doesn't seem to exist. Move on from him, if we keep playing a 5-2-3 we only play with 2 central mids anyway, we currently have 4 it's enough until January. Unless there is a change of system incoming then I don't really think we need a 5th central midfielder. 

Correct. He doesn't play a position of need, was way below average last year, and I'd rather have Schwab there at this point (my condolences to your cohost). If the situation with Misic changes in December or next summer, I'd take him 10 times out of 10 over Mauricio as well.

Regarding the above link - other sites are saying this is just because he's still not able to play and that we're going back to the negotiating table once he is actually recovered. There were reports (if you want to believe them) that he had at least one additional surgery for this cancer, so it seems he is still a long way away from playing.

Misic won't play competitive soccer until next season (2021-2022). And that is assuming his therapy goes well and he is free of cancer. Yes apparently he had an additional surgery recently. That could be good or bad, but only his doctors know the facts.

All the fake news we had in recent months that we paid the buyout clause were just that. Fake news. It now appears that PAOK made a decision to not claim him right now due to the his medical condition. I am sure PAOK and Sporting came to a gentlemen's agreement to revisit Misic loan/transfer when he is ready to return to play. 

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it all depends on his condition. It would appear that PAOK took a gamble and assumed that he would not be able to play at full abilities this season, and as such it would be counter productive to pay either 2 mil for the transfer and 800K in salary or even the 600K in case of a loan fee.  Having said that it looks like Sporting found a team to take their player of their hands for the rest of this season. It was probably also the player's wish to go back to his homeland while he is recuperating from the bladder cancer. 

Yeah because he still wanted the 800K contract that was negotiated before his cancer diagnosis. PAOK tried to reach a new agreement with Sporting and Misic taking his illness into account. I think the Misic era at PAOK is now finished. The good thing is that the team did not risk close to 5 mil on the player that might not even play the game again. The bad thing is that we are now short a good midfielder on the roster.

We are short good midfielders, but have an overabundance of other ones. If the team ends up shipping off Augusto this winter, I wouldn't be surprised if we get another. I also don't think Tsiggaras will be here next summer, same with Ninua.