Phantis Forums

Transfer News and Rumors - Summer 2020

Blackhawk

Looks like the Stefan Schwab transfer is almost a done deal. He due in Thessaloniki on Thursday for a physical and contract talks.

The apparent deal is for 2+1 contract.

Hmmm, good move going for a midfielder as our midfield has been poor and I don't think it'll improve considerably without a decent transfer.  Hopefully this guy has something to offer.  No surprise we haven't heard of him as we aren't really able to shop for and attract better.  Having said that, I always maintain there are lots of quality players out there that haven't "made it" for one reason or another that are more than capable of playing in Greece.

I guess this will also be a test of the new TD since his sphere of knowledge and influence will be more Germano centric.  He can't do any worse than Branko can he ?

The guy's stats are very impressive, 9 goals and 10 assists this season coming from midfield are fantastic numbers. Obviously you can't judge a player purely off the numbers but those are promising stats for sure. 

Very un-PAOK like if this indeed gets done within 48 hours of his name coming to light, very good work by the club and Rebbe. Hopefully this is a sign of things with regards to transfers, deals get done quickly and we move onto the next.

Obviously you can't control every situation and players do tend to shop around but picking someone up like this who is a proven performer in a "lesser league" (even though in reality Austria is probably not far off, if not at the level of the Superleague) is exactly the type of business we should be getting done quickly. 

Hopefully he wasn't in physical contact with his former teammates in the preceding days as they're apparently full of the rona. Presumably he'd have to get tested before being allowed into Greece, though I doubt it's hard to sneak in anyway.

He's expected in Thessaloniki today from what I saw, but haven't seen any updates yet. Don't be surprised if he doesn't show up until this weekend, esp as some sites are saying he was giving Rapid until the 30th to make him an offer.

Rumors are that he is also waiting to see if Lecce will be relegated in Italy before deciding. His wife is Italian. However it was also mentioned that his brother who took part in the negotiations is a good friend with Rebbe.

Ahh, I see. Yeah they're a no brainer, assuming they stay in Serie A.

Lecce is four points behind Genoa and currently playing vs Udinese (0-0, 33 minutes). Genoa is losing against Sassuolo so it could be a 1 or 3-point game after today. Lecce's last game is vs Parma while Genoa is playing Verona, both this Sunday.

Lecce won and is one point behind in the relegation race with one game remaining.

In other news, Sky Sports reports that PAOK and Besiktas came to an agreement  for Akpom. Selling price is reported at 2.5 mil Euro with PAOK retaining resale option. Also it needs to be pointed out that Arsenal has a certain percentage from the selling price..

It's fair considering how he couldn't become a clear #1 ahead of Swiderski. I'll miss him though, he seemed like a good kid. Opens up space now for Ferreira to get someone he really wants (unreliable sources claim we might see quite a few transfers).

I'm 50/50 on whether I'd like to Akpom go.  The price if true is probably about right.  As pash said, he's a good kid and gives it all.  He's just definitely not a striker.  A forward yes, but he'll never get 20 goals in a season.  He's suited to a 4-4-2 where he plays behind the striker.

On a side note, who will take the kicks, elbows and hits now ?  We've lost a few players that could take the hits.  I wonder if this is why we've been getting stomped in the derbies.

Wel it seems like Paok's board knows that the midfield is weak as s**t. So this transfer is on the right direction.

How are the "Ronandinho comming to Paok" rumors this year going?

• Like it 1

Looks like Schwab has touched down in Thessaloniki and will be doing his medical and hopefully signing his contract today. 

In other news it sounds like we've rejected Besiktas's offer of 2-2.5 million for Akpom. It remains to be seen whether they come with an improved offer but apparently they are struggling financially so not sure how much higher they can go. 

Edited by paokarag4

I bet you the resale rate that Arsenal has, makes us less willing to go too low.

Anyway, really hope that the Schwab thing works out. I didn't find his highlights to be particularly exciting but if he lives up to his reputation as a solid box-to-box midfielder who can "lead" some people, then I'll take it.

Have we ever had an Austrian on our team? I feel blackhawk would know this haha

40 minutes ago, pash said:

Anyway, really hope that the Schwab thing works out. I didn't find his highlights to be particularly exciting but if he lives up to his reputation as a solid box-to-box midfielder who can "lead" some people, then I'll take it.

According to an Austrian fella on the site of Kassies he has scored 51 goals and provided 51 assist at Rapid. The goals I see confirmed at wikipedia. A better average than Mauricio, I would say.

Oooh I forgot about Gspurning! He spoke too many languages for me to remember where he's from haha

Mauricio played for a much better team in a much better league but I take your point. This is more of a lateral move for Schwab so perhaps he'll be equally productive? Who knows!

19 hours ago, Mitsos said:

2.5 million Euro?  Is that a joke?

Should have sold him last season when the offer was over 4 mil.

With a bad season that he had and the fact that six months from now he can leave for free, PAOK does not have much leverage. The right thing to do right now would be to extend his contract and give Akpom assurances that he can leave if he brings in a better deal. For that to happen the player must agree and seeing that Besiktas is basically doubling his salary I don't see that happening.

4 hours ago, Mitsos said:

I don't follow the transfer market and what players are worth but 2 million for a player that wasn't able to establish himself in the Greek SL sounds excessive.

He is British. Some club will take a gamble on him given his age and the fact he is a forward. They hope they get one good season out of him and then sell him to a promoted championship team newly flush with cash and get stupid EPL money for him.

10 hours ago, Mitsos said:

I don't follow the transfer market and what players are worth but 2 million for a player that wasn't able to establish himself in the Greek SL sounds excessive.

Όπως ο Κλιγγόπουλος δηλαδή.

On 7/27/2020 at 9:45 PM, pash said:

Sounds like Lamprou's gonna get loaned out again. Just sell him ffs. Let the guy have a career somewhere.

He is going on loan to FC Twente.  The purchase clause is €4 mil.  Don't think Twente can buy him unless they win the lottery in the near future. 

On 7/30/2020 at 4:16 PM, pash said:

Have we ever had an Austrian on our team? I feel blackhawk would know this haha

Also Dietmar Berchtold according to inpaok.com. Just one game. Just like Gspurning. Should be easy for Schwab becoming the best Austrian ever at PAOK. He will be wearing jersey #22 (available since Lamprou left).

• Like it 1