Phantis Forums

Transfer News and Rumors - Summer 2020

Blackhawk

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he'd probably be cheap. But why would we ever spend money on this guy, when we have Varela, Ingason, Crespo, Mihaj, Mihojevic, and Michailidis next year?

-edit- Also meant to post that it seems Warda wants another shot? He seems to have a very positive take on our extending his contract, which I think is an overly enthusiastic one.

Edited by pash

On 7/4/2020 at 6:26 PM, pash said:

-edit- Also meant to post that it seems Warda wants another shot? He seems to have a very positive take on our extending his contract, which I think is an overly enthusiastic one.

TBF we need midfielders, and given how are midfield looks like right now, Warda should be given another shot.

Edited by Nilaul

Well perhaps there'd even be room:

https://inpaok.com/649290/aravia-kali-bisesvar/

Would be sad to lose him as he's a legit player but I don't think we need to gamble on whether or not he'll be productive here next season. Our extension means we can actually get some money out of this (up front please). I don't think he was on a huge salary but the cash savings would still give us some flexibility.

A lot of teams interested in Giannoulis. Thought he was much younger but I just found out that he is 24. Was confused at first but then I remembered that you are still considered a 'young talent' in Greece at the age of 22-23 ?

On 7/9/2020 at 3:37 PM, pash said:

Well perhaps there'd even be room:

https://inpaok.com/649290/aravia-kali-bisesvar/

Would be sad to lose him as he's a legit player but I don't think we need to gamble on whether or not he'll be productive here next season. Our extension means we can actually get some money out of this (up front please). I don't think he was on a huge salary but the cash savings would still give us some flexibility.

Bisesvar is a legit player but he cant aim to save his life, I mean we could still keep both of them with no big change on on Paok's financials. Maybe Warda has matured enough to listen to instructions.

Maybe, but also probably not. Another reason to let Biseswar go: Ferreira should get a chance to build the team he wants if he stays. Opening up positions gives him that opportunity.

I think we'll move some of the expensive players but I have absolutely no faith that the youth will get a shot. We're gonna have a menagerie of Brazilians, just you wait.

Prove me wrong, team!

You can't build your team around youth, it can't happen not in Greece and not at PAOK. The fans won't accept a season where we lose games and aren't contending for the title, there will be issues. It's a reality of Greek football. I know Panathinaikos has gone down that road but it's been years of poor management and debt that has led the fans to kind of fizzle out (for the time being) PAOK fans won't sit there silently if a core of 7-8 guys under the age of 22 play and we lose 10-12 league games there will be chaos. 

I think the perfect balance is what we have going atm, start 2 of the young guys, have another couple on the bench and have experience around them it's the best of both worlds. 

Edited by paokarag4

I do like what you're saying, and think it's more reasonable. I still don't have faith that it'll happen.

I was saying to PaokCT the other day, I don't mind Soares. I think he's fine. But is he better than Lyratzis? I doubt it, especially since Matos plays 90% of games anyway. When the time comes to make a decision on who'll be that backup, coaches and technical directors want to hire outsiders from where they have familiarity. It's only natural!

For me, if we get an offer to sell Ingason, I think we should take it. Not because I don't think he's good - he may be better than Varela - but because we have two very good players in Mihaj and Michailidis who will be riding the bench once Crespo is back to playing regularly.

On the wings, we have Gaitanidis and Tzolis...but they have to compete with Pelkas (who also should probably be sold), Biseswar, Vieirinha, Jaba, Stoch, Lamprou, and Limnios. If we sell four of those guys, Gaitanidis and Tzolis will still probably fail to get playing time. I should admit, though, that it is kind of pleasing how many non-youth Greek players we have on the wings.

11 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

You can't build your team around youth, it can't happen not in Greece and not at PAOK. The fans won't accept a season where we lose games and aren't contending for the title, there will be issues. It's a reality of Greek football. I know Panathinaikos has gone down that road but it's been years of poor management and debt that has led the fans to kind of fizzle out (for the time being) PAOK fans won't sit there silently if a core of 7-8 guys under the age of 22 play and we lose 10-12 league games there will be chaos. 

I think the perfect balance is what we have going atm, start 2 of the young guys, have another couple on the bench and have experience around them it's the best of both worlds. 

That wouldn't pass in any country, not just Greece.
You cant build a team around youth unless your happy with potentially not getting any champions league money. Its needs to be a mix, just how its done in any other country. They have a few young players who play along the older ones but they will never field the whole team with youngsters unless they have secured the league.

Biseswar  is someone I would consider selling. He cant aim to save his life, and every-time he actually scored, I'm always surprised how he even managed to take a shot on target. The guy needs to realise that he cant aim and he needs to takes shooting practice very seriously (everyday of the week for ever), or he just stops shooting and uses his skills purely to setup goals.  If he does none, I think we can find someone better.

Edited by Nilaul

11 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

I didn't mean having an entire starting 11 of youngsters. But there should be at least 3-4 playing. Look at clubs like Manchester United and Chelsea who have promoted a fair amount of young talent to the first team (and most start). We, on the other hand, still consider Giannoulis a 'young talent' and get excited/panic when we promote a youngster like Tzolis.

14 minutes ago, Nilaul said:

Biseswar  is someone I would consider selling. He cant aim to save his life, and every-time he actually scored, I'm always surprised how he even managed to take a shot on target. The guy needs to realise that he cant aim and he needs to takes shooting practice very seriously (everyday of the week for ever), or he just stops shooting and uses his skills purely to setup goals.  If he does none, I think we can find someone better.

Now that you have successfully described him as a dud, please explain how we can sell him.

The rumor is that some Arab team wants to make him an offer. Obviously a sale would be contingent on such an offer being received - the point is simply that if we get an offer, we should accept it. I can't imagine there's much of a market for him out there otherwise, unless the Turks have been watching him.

Does anyone know the specifics concerning our situation with FFP ?  How much do we need to makes on sales and/or reduce wages ?  Are we even in breach right now and need do rectify it by a certain date ?

Looking at our roster I can’t see many players who could be sold for more than a few million.  Specifically Giannoulis “the youngster”, Limnios and Akpom.  All the rest I can’t see serious money being handed over for them.

Much to my dismay I learnt that Wernbloom’s contract still has another year to go.

Sadly Giannoulis's market value has probably dropped due to the poor playoffs he had.

As for FFP if I remember right we need to close a 10 mil Euro hole. However that was before COVID19 and UEFA promises to relax the rule for the upcoming season.