Phantis Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic

Antaeus7

Oxford University Vaccine Prevents 6 Monkeys From Contracting COVID-19

monkeys-vaccines

According to The New York Times, scientists at the university administered a vaccine to six monkeys, all of whom have reportedly been COVID-19-free for 28 days, after being exposed to “heavy quantities” of the virus. It’s a hopeful sign for the vaccine, which is now going through human trials, despite a functional human vaccine still months away.

Human trials started last Thursday, with 6,000-plus people set to receive the vaccine by the end of May. 

101-Year-Old New York Woman Born During Spanish Flu Pandemic Recovers From COVID-19

EWsySmEXkAEbavg?format=jpg&name=large

In Texas, things have been under control. They have reached it's peak. Our governor calling on to slowly reopen some businesses like retail store (on a go-to basis), cinemas (less than 25% of capacity), bars and restaurants (also on go-to basis), and hair and nail salons (also less than 25% capacity) on May 1. I don't know if this is a good idea. I understand the economy needs to be up and running, but I think he could have waiting around mid-May to decide on this decision. The one advantage about Texas is the cities are very spread out and they are not very walk-able like cities in the East Coast and the West Coast. Our summer weather also helps slowing down the spread. And everybody knows Texas has one of the best health care system in the world. 

Edited by Molon Lave

2 hours ago, Molon Lave said:

And everybody knows Texas has one of the best health care system in the world. 

Well it doesn't really matter if we know that or if it true or not. I hope you are right and that is the case. Because Texas is not really ready to open. Texas will pay a high price for doing so. Opening up will require health care personnel and lab capacity for testing and contact tracing that is perhaps an order of magnitude greater than what is currently available in Texas. And experts say it will be very, very expensive. Political decisions like this will cost human lives. Remember that next time you go to the voting booth.

Nuestros pensamientos y oraciones están con usted (Our thoughts and prayers are with you).

• Like it 1

By my calculations the UK will overtake Italy and become the country with the most Covid-19 deaths barring America. 

Only now are we considering making the population wear masks and also screening people at airports. Every step of the way we have been massively behind the curve of how others are combating the virus. Truly pathetic.

Sadly, the US, as of today, has 65,069 deaths. Trump continues his propaganda and deaths mount with no end in sight. Republicans in government are pressuring local leaders to open up the country and drop social distancing measures. Without following the guidance of scientists and health workers - the US has a low percentage of testing per capita, no infrastructure for contact tracing - and yet they are gun-ho to open up barber shops and nail salons.

With so many people dying, it's not even a good time to be an undertaker. Too many bodies are rotting in parking lot freezer trucks.

Total disregard for human life in the name of power and money! This will perpetuate the situation and keep the economy in a permanent slump. According to Forbes magazine: "This pandemic has put the U.S. economy in the ICU unit. It’s worse than the euro zone. Worse than China’s. Nearly all of it was self-inflicted."

On 4/9/2020 at 9:13 AM, Lazarus said:

Trump propaganda says 65,000+ souls without specifying forecast models. Other previous estimates mentioned up to 250,000 souls.

I am very proud to say that my (very liberal) state's Republican governor has done a great job so far. It looks like they won't start taking recommendations for a phased reopening until the 18th at the earliest (suggestions start then, the reopening would be later). That is also contingent on new infections/hospitalizations/deaths actually dropping; it seems that our surge has been sustained for over two weeks now. Which is worse than the models predicted (the governor calls it a "high plateau" in his daily briefings). Still, it is not rising, which is some good news. Lazarus, since our states are in this grand coalition perhaps we'll be celebrating with some nice beers at the same time!

The financial times had a very chilling article on the UK death toll recently (https://www.ft.com/content/0ed8ea34-ebc5-4425-b86a-7a29447de57b <-- this may be behind a paywall for people). Essentially, it seems it's double what the government is reporting. The CDC here in the US has also reported that deaths not attributed to COVID-19 are way higher than normal as well. With 60,000 this year labeled as due to "pneumonia." Very good chance that many of those deaths took place when we had insufficient testing; they are likely actually COVID-19-related.

Just terrible, terrible times.

By the way, I saw a headline about Greece expecting to open for tourist season, with "social distancing" still a thing? I didn't have a chance to actually read it and haven't been able to find it since, has anyone read anything about that?

Can't read it unfortunately. But I have read that alot of Doctors are not attributing deaths to Covid-19 even though its obvious its the cause and there putting soemthing else down.

Theres talk of the UK relaxing lockdown, which personally I think is crazy as we have the second highest daily death rates atm. 

If I was in charge, I'd wait until death rates and infection rates were the same as New Zealand before going down that route. 

BTW it now looks like the UK won't leapfrog Italy today, but it will happen very soon. 

• Like it 2

12 hours ago, pash said:

Lazarus, since our states are in this grand coalition perhaps we'll be celebrating with some nice beers at the same time!

I'm looking forward to that celebration - which I fear is a long-long time ahead into the future! But let's stay hopeful.  Them nice beers are so welcome!

From the Guardian (by Robert Reich): Donald Trump's four-step plan to reopen the US economy – and why it will be lethal

1 hour ago, Chris Tsamados said:

If I was in charge, I'd wait until death rates and infection rates were the same as New Zealand before going down that route. 

Unfortunately, both of our countries don't have reasonable people in charge. Maybe some countries are luckier (or smarter) than others when it comes to leadership.

A lot of people would rather the sick and elderly die in high numbers rather than suffering economically. People I know have told me they felt this way very matter of factly. I think there are ways to be creative and be innovative in keeping the economy as healthy as we can while not taking unnecessary risks with peoples health. A blanket shut down, or irresponsible opening for business are not the only two options we should have. We have a lot of great minds that can find solutions. Trouble is they dont usually run for office or work in politics I feel.

• Like it 1

OK, the numbers among age groups in the US show that if you're under 50, you have 1 in 10 chances of dying if infected, and 45% if you're age 50-79. The rest of % for other groups. I happen to read the NYT's COVID-19 coverage which includes obituaries of people of all ages. Healthy and younger people are among the victims.  I'm healthy but I don't know if infected what will happens. I try to minimize my risk, because I don't want to play Russian roulette. Even 1 in 10 chance the bullet is in the chamber is still too high of a risk.

On the other hand, most people have fathers, grandparents, relatives and friends in those most vulnerable groups. Is that OK if they drop?

Until we're all tested, even if you're willing to take the risk, you may be playing the Russian roulette with the lives of others.

I'm not oblivious to the economic hardship and the struggle for survival for many working people. This is also a situation where we need to reevaluate the social safety net.

• Like it 1

30 minutes ago, Epicurus said:

I'm not oblivious to the economic hardship and the struggle for survival for many working people. This is also a situation where we need to reevaluate the social safety net.

This is the time to go for the general basic income, get rid of all the bureaucracy and red tape, no EI or Unemployment benefits, welfare and the lot, simplify everything, 1 citizen 1 recurring payment.

19 hours ago, Epicurus said:

Even 1 in 10 chance the bullet is in the chamber is still too high of a risk.

Keep in mind that as of right now, we believe 50% of people are entirely asymptomatic. The "1 in 10" number is of people who are tested, which is (in the US at least) almost entirely made up of people who are feeling sick enough to convince someone to give them a test. You do not have a 1 in 10 chance of dying, in other words.

18 hours ago, Tzatziki said:

This is the time to go for the general basic income, get rid of all the bureaucracy and red tape, no EI or Unemployment benefits, welfare and the lot, simplify everything, 1 citizen 1 recurring payment.

I agree with you completely on this. The Canadian government could get rid of a large expense (bureaucracy -EI and Welfare admins) and give money to the people who will spend it in the economy while not reducing incentive to work like welfare does.

It won't happen though. Why?

You can't get kickbacks from average individuals who need the funds while you can get kickbacks from large corporations who use tax havens.  Air Canada is now on the list for getting government funds. My bet is that it's a done deal. 

25 minutes ago, Athens4 said:

The UBI is a disaster waiting to happen.

As opposed to what? A current and ongoing disaster that threatens the collapse of the world economy?

27 minutes ago, Athens4 said:

We are basically becoming fully dependent on the State this way. Inflation will be inevitable.

LOL. Sure. It's always best to be dependent on the generosity of fat cats, big business. You are so funny. Bourgeoisie arguments are outdated and will have to be called out for what they are. Oppression of the weakest among us. Capitalism in the US and UK haave failed to provide economic security and social justice for working people.

Failed capitalism only perpetuates the well being of those that seek money and power. The same goes for communism. If we are going to survive as a species, we will need to think about what we need to do in order to protect people and the planet. We need to change the way we think the way we act.

El capitalismo le ha fallado al pueblo!

Viva Zapata!

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, jarvis1981 said:

It won't happen though. 

You're likely to be correct, but you never know...from what I have been told, federal income tax was introduced as a temporary measure at the time of one of the 2 world wars and was made permanent. So something like the covid emergency payments that Canada has made available could theoretically have a similar fate.

• Lazarus changed the title to Coronavirus Pandemic