Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Greece-Finland (18 Nov. 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Dutch Eagle

It’s funny how players like Mantalos and Bakasetas were whipping boys for criticism yet now we are starting to see what they are capable of playing in a system that actually lets them play. The team is a joy to watch right now...the high pressing is brilliant we have stolen the ball off the opposition more times in our attacking half the last 3 games than the previous 4 years combined lol.

• Like it 4

14 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

We couldn’t beat them with our more experienced players. I’ve always said we should trust youth and look at what’s happening. We are winning. Great way to end this roller coaster of a campaign. The ball doesn’t want to go in for Koulouris in the national team ? 

It's bittersweet we're playing some of the most attractive football in years and getting results but we are not in the Euro's. If only JVS and this squad started the campaign we'd be in 2nd easy. Also we are missing Fortounis add him to the squad and we are very dangerous. 

• Like it 1

going down swinging. I didn't watch first half but I can't imagine it being as good as we played the second. Still. I don't think we can play Mantalos, Bakasetas, Stafylidis and Hatzi going forward.

At the same time though, even with the starting 11 we are a better team then Finland that is underachieving so perhaps conceding against giants and winning against who we are supposed to beat is the way.

I do find it interesting that we're playing better without Mitroglou, Sokratis, Manolas and maybe missing someone else? Perhaps their star power has gone to their heads. I'd imagine Holebas was just as problematic. At the club level yes but I find that the National Team is becoming less important to players as they play for clubs with billionaire owners. They become more individualistic and less nationalistic with the $$$

8 minutes ago, AchillesHeel said:

Wow...reading the halftime comments you'd think we were getting killed or something. Fact is everything is a trade off unless you have a Beckenbauer or Lahm in your line up....Staf had a brainfart and cost us a goal but he has also been the main man on the transition up the middle which is why Schippy put him there since we don't have any DMs who are up to the task. Bakasetas for all the hate you guys (and me) have given him always seems to do something to help get the result (in the last 3 games). Let's give the Schipster his due and congratulate him on turning this sorry excuse of a NT around. :fitness-331191:

Great job today against a solid, well organized side.

Ya originally I was not thrilled about the hiring of JVS but he has sparked this side. Bakasetas has put in some fantastic all around performances going back to the match vs Italy. 

Staf made a costly mistake but he rebounded after that and the team came out in the second half and just put it too Finland. 28 attempts with eight on target and just playing free flowing attacking football. 

• Like it 1

That was quite average play for Finland. So, that was not our best game. Finnish players were at party friday night and it last 5 and 6 am.

I think, it was little bit pity that this game was played so quick after friday game.

Edited by Finlandia
  • Like it 2

The best thing that happened for JVS was going down 1-0 and seeing how this group would respond and they came out and scored 2 to get the win which showed a lot of character.. I know guys were negative In the first half calling certain players and the coach out which is fine but like I said in my first half comment this is the best and most attractive football we have played in years. The team was hungry, fast and some fantastic passing. The best thing that Manolas and Socrates did for this team was get Angelo fired as it got us JVS who I’m sold on now.. Boys we couldn’t beat the Faroe Islands with Manolas,Socrates, Mitro and Samaris so we get a coach that comes in and cuts all of them from the team and builds a team around young guys and look at the results. There is no doubt in my mind if JVS was here from the beginning  we would have no problem finishing 2nd In this group. We have scored 5 goals in our last 3 games which rarely ever happened before as we would go games with no more then one attempt on goal and now we get 29.. This is a huge change and we are an upcoming team.. 

• Like it 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Molon Lave said:

Too bad they drop 3 points at home to Armenia, where Italy scored 9 on them. 

That loss still stings, it was all Sokratis doing. With JVS in Finland we should had a draw if not for the dumb pk and were unlucky not to beat Liechtenstein were we had poor finishing. ?? Should be in the Euros Finland are average side with a good striker but think what will happen if they draw up vs France or Belgium, they will get embarrassed. 

• Like it 2

7 minutes ago, Finlandia said:

That was quite average play for Finland. So, that was not our best game. Finnish players were at party friday night and it last 5 and 6 am.

I think, it was little bit pity that this game was played so quick after friday game.

We also beat you at home in the Nations league and beat you again today so I wouldn’t be so surprised.. also let’s not forget Greece before our main core players retired after the World Cup in Brazil which they made it to the knockout stage were making tournaments on a regular basis. This is a rebuild for us. We also beat Bosnia who handed it to Finland pretty easily in there last match. I’m saying this now because your dropping the excuses with the drinking and partying..In saying all of this I do wish you good luck in the euros  but Greece are a much more successful side in there history then Finland.. All the best in the Euros though and I’m glad the team can bring your country some joy.

• Like it 1

1 minute ago, Ellada2004 said:

Finland are average side with a good striker but think what will happen if they draw up vs France or Belgium, they will get embarrassed. 

Well, we have hell of a party friday and saturday. So you can image that we were not at our best. You can't jugdge the performance with only one game.

Why did you not beat us in Finland, when JVS was charge? Why you draw against Liechtenstein?

Pukki said in interview: "Today we did not get in to the game. We have now power after we secure our place in Euro 2020."

• Like it 1

but Greece are a much more successful side in there history then Finland.. 

I agree 100%!

But example! Before Rinus Michels and first major tournament 1974, Holland was same level than Luxemburg. History is important, but it's not all.

Something change last friday in Finland. Finnish players skipped this game thoght that does not mean that Greek were quite good. Those players who was in field try their best but it was not enough, becouse Greek played well.

Edited by Finlandia
  • Like it 2

4 minutes ago, Finlandia said:

Well, we have hell of a party friday and saturday. So you can image that we were not at our best. You can't jugdge the performance with only one game.

Why did you not beat us in Finland, when JVS was charge? Why you draw against Liechtenstein?

Pukki said in interview: "Today we did not get in to the game. We have now power after we secure our place in Euro 2020."

Manolas is one of the fastest players in the world and got outpaced he wasn't trying for whatever reason.

Greece is a superior side. We didn't play auto starters for Arsenal and Napoli. Or two important squad players for Benfica and PSV. Don't kid yourself. Greece are the second best team in the group that was underachieving. Enjoy your euro campaign which we won and Finland will probably never win. Greece will probably always be superior in soccer, history, and culturally then Finland so enjoy being on top of us for this brief blip in time ?

• Like it 1

5 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

Greece will probably always be superior in soccer, history, and culturally then Finland so enjoy being on top of us for this brief blip in time ?

I don't agree at all. But I wish you luck to your new project with JVS. I'm admirer of Dutch football and I hope JVS will perform and not get sacked. (Like you always do with your coaches.)

I hope we don't get in to the same group near future becouse it would be little bit boring.

ALL THE BEST! We have another party tomorrow when players come back home!

Edited by Finlandia
  • Like it 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Finlandia said:

I don't agree at all. But I wish you luck to your new project with JVS. I'm admirer of Dutch football and I hope JVS will perform and not get sacked. (Like you always do with your coaches.)

I hope we don't get in to the same group near future becouse it would be little bit boring.

ALL THE BEST! We have another party tomorrow when players come back home!

we always do since when dude? we had otto for 6 years and santos for 4-6 years (estimating) during our best decade in soccer. It's only past 2-4 years after world cup losing Santos that we've been rotating coaches. Of course you don't agree it's hard to see the truth when it goes against your ego. 

• Like it 2

27 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

Of course you don't agree it's hard to see the truth when it goes against your ego. 

? Truth is out there. Greek is soccer country. But we will be stronger in the future. Main thing is that we are in Euro 2020!

This is the beginning!

ALL THE BEST TO GREEK SOCCER! AND COUNTRY! BYE! YOU SEE US NEXT SUMMER ?

10 minutes ago, Finlandia said:

? Truth is out there. Greek is soccer country. But we will be stronger in the future. Main thing is that we are in Euro 2020!

This is the beginning!

ALL THE BEST TO GREEK SOCCER! AND COUNTRY! BYE! YOU SEE US NEXT SUMMER ?

Ok TO blue, a se mas Tora! 

• Lazarus changed the title to Euro 2020 Group J - Greece-Finland (18 Nov. 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic