Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Greece-Finland (18 Nov. 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Dutch Eagle

44 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

we always do since when dude? we had otto for 6 years and santos for 4-6 years (estimating) during our best decade in soccer. It's only past 2-4 years after world cup losing Santos that we've been rotating coaches. Of course you don't agree it's hard to see the truth when it goes against your ego. 

Ela George it's just that deranged TO blue trolling again he's become a fin for the day lol.. 

• Like it 1

I guarantee Samaris , Mitro are gone I’m still not 100% sure if Socrates and Manolas will be part of the team. As it looks right now I don’t think they will and I think it all has to do with attitude. It’s no  coincidence that JVS said the egos and need to go and coming here for a good time is over and then the very next game Manolas and Socrates are out and all off a sudden we rack up 3 wins in a row with our most exciting football we’ve played in years.. Katsouranis said in an interview after the game on sport24Gr that finally the NT have found a coach that knows how to coach.. The Nations league can’t come soon enough for me as I can’t wait to see what this team can do.. There’s been a bunch of us in here saying since we are losing we would rather lose with our young guys. We’ve all been frustrated for way to long so let’s enjoy this and be excited for our next campaign it’s been a long time coming hopefully we keep improving going forward..

41 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I guarantee Samaris , Mitro are gone I’m still not 100% sure if Socrates and Manolas will be part of the team. As it looks right now I don’t think they will and I think it all has to do with attitude. It’s no  coincidence that JVS said the egos and need to go and coming here for a good time is over and then the very next game Manolas and Socrates are out and all off a sudden we rack up 3 wins in a row with our most exciting football we’ve played in years.. Katsouranis said in an interview after the game on sport24Gr that finally the NT have found a coach that knows how to coach.. The Nations league can’t come soon enough for me as I can’t wait to see what this team can do.. There’s been a bunch of us in here saying since we are losing we would rather lose with our young guys. We’ve all been frustrated for way to long so let’s enjoy this and be excited for our next campaign it’s been a long time coming hopefully we keep improving going forward..

Well said J! As we have seen what Otto Rehhagel did when he took over the Greek National Football Team in 2001 during the World Cup qualifier. Patients and hard work paid dividends. I hope to God Papastathopoulos and Manolas never come back to play for Greece after their piss poor behavior in wanting to quit the national team. Regardless of the situation, you never speak out like that. And, both of those players were responsible for the poor results vs. Armenia and Liechtenstein. 

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

Why the hell not? If the results keep coming why would you change? It's not about favorites, it's about results....and as long as we keep getting them I'm happy....even if Tziolis is playing :play-109292:

You said......!!!!Tzioli$$$$%$$,,,Why!!!!!!!!!!  did you say that???

Guys Im glad we won but this will be hard... I am not sure Schip will be able to steer us to the haven of World Cup 2022. His team played really well but against minnows and average sides. Yes, Finland and Bosnia are average teams. Do you think this attractive team can hold the fort against Germany, Belgium and the likes? If we wont qualify, the next tournament will be in 2024. Schip will got the sack long before that... His successor will be maybe worse than Skibbe, Anastasiadis, Ranieri (rock bottom) and the likes...

Our talent pool is limited. Koutris was not included in Olympiacos Champions League squad while Avraam was. Think of that, a 34-year-old Avraam is better according to Martins (who is probably a better coach than Van Schip) than Koutris, a really talented NT player... A bunch of talents like Androutsos, Manthatis and Durmishaj have been loaned out they are not even in the squad at Oly! Vrousai, Vasiliadis Pavlidis are promising but I am not sure whether they will be able to dominate the game like they did now if they will play against Spain or Netherlands. Galanopoulos was really good, I am quite surprised. I cannot see where Zeca will play or whether he will play at all in the future. Kourbelis, Bouchalakis, Bakakis (especially the latter) are not young any more. Possibly they wont develop really. Torosidis is finished. He said he wanted to retire after this season. Stafylidis as a centre back is error prone. And this was only Pukki now. What will he do if he will manmark/defend against Zaniolo, for example? I really hope Manolas and the likes will have some role in the future.

TL;DR: 1. Our young players have not been put to a real test yet. 2. Quite possibly we wont participate at a tournament until 2024. That would mean another five years without any real success!

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, Molon Lave said:

Well said J! As we have seen what Otto Rehhagel did when he took over the Greek National Football Team in 2001 during the World Cup qualifier. Patients and hard work paid dividends. I hope to God Papastathopoulos and Manolas never come back to play for Greece after their piss poor behavior in wanting to quit the national team. Regardless of the situation, you never speak out like that. And, both of those players were responsible for the poor results vs. Armenia and Liechtenstein. 

The Armenia and Liechtenstein results wouldnt matter if that old blighter Anastasiadis wouldnt have regarded the Estonia game as a friendly match! Literally a draw would mean we would be in the playoffs. A Greek NT coach is worse than anything, an equivalent to Ranieri.

24 minutes ago, AchillesHeel said:

You actually have to hustle to play in this system so no....if he starts playing and scoring for his club he could be a bench player at best. I'm pretty sure the Schipster saw how limited the DMs were and that if he wanted to improve the transition up the middle it would have to be from the CBs....and neither Manolas or Sokratis have the ability to do that so he dumped them and paired a fast, versatile CB in Hatzidiakos with Staf, a fast, decent ball handler to lead the transition. So I doubt he will switch unless Staf becomes too much of a liability (which is a possibilty) in which case he will look for someone with similar qualities to replace him (not Manolas or Sokratis)

I was actually thinking that my be the reason for Stafyldis being at CB. To play it out effectively from the back and in turn improve the transition from the middle. 

Defensively I don’t trust him. He is error prone and if he was to be replaced by Siovas or Lampropoulos then it will be fine. As JVS likes how they play.

Both Hatzidiakos and Stafylidis are good passers of the ball. I don’t think Manolas or Sokratis are as good in this department.

55 minutes ago, AchillesHeel said:

No offense bud, but you sound like someone hedging his bets so that he can say "I told you so" if things don't pan out. There are no guarantees and all that you can ask of the Coach and players is to give 100% and use basic common sense and proper strategies.

Agree 100%. It's amazing our last 4 games have produced a very high level of performance and 3 wins. Fantastic signs. We still have people on here complaining. Not sure what more they want. You need to be beating the Finland's, Bosnia's and Armenia's of the group and hope to snatch a result against the big boys. We are Greece we aren't England we aren't expecting to go up against Germany/Belgium and play them off the park. If the game against Italy doesn't give fans confidence that we can match it against the big boys nothing will. 

Some people just like complaining for the sake of it, nothing is good enough. A lot of people are pissed that Bakesetas got an assist today, all I've read non-stop is "He hasn't scored or assisted he isn't good enough" Anyone who thinks he was poor after the last 2 games really needs to reassess what they consider football knowledge, he has been fine. 
He clearly isn't Fortounis but he is hard working and is adequate against opposition of this level. 

• Like it 1

If Sokratis and Manolas could be incorporated into this system I wouldn’t be mad it... just saying lol

love the way we’re playing but I can’t lie I feel much more at ease with Sokratis and Manolas at the back. Hatzidiakos was quite impressive today though.

poor koulouris man, he couldn’t catch a break lol 

2 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

Agree 100%. It's amazing our last 4 games have produced a very high level of performance and 3 wins. Fantastic signs. We still have people on here complaining. Not sure what more they want. You need to be beating the Finland's, Bosnia's and Armenia's of the group and hope to snatch a result against the big boys. We are Greece we aren't England we aren't expecting to go up against Germany/Belgium and play them off the park. If the game against Italy doesn't give fans confidence that we can match it against the big boys nothing will. 

Some people just like complaining for the sake of it, nothing is good enough. A lot of people are pissed that Bakesetas got an assist today, all I've read non-stop is "He hasn't scored or assisted he isn't good enough" Anyone who thinks he was poor after the last 2 games really needs to reassess what they consider football knowledge, he has been fine. 
He clearly isn't Fortounis but he is hard working and is adequate against opposition of this level. 

Totally agree, there are still some out there totally paranoid like we are playing rubbish football and belittling some players... some people are born to sook I thinks.

5 hours ago, La Mendel said:

Guys Im glad we won but this will be hard... I am not sure Schip will be able to steer us to the haven of World Cup 2022. His team played really well but against minnows and average sides. Yes, Finland and Bosnia are average teams. Do you think this attractive team can hold the fort against Germany, Belgium and the likes? If we wont qualify, the next tournament will be in 2024. Schip will got the sack long before that... His successor will be maybe worse than Skibbe, Anastasiadis, Ranieri (rock bottom) and the likes...

Our talent pool is limited. Koutris was not included in Olympiacos Champions League squad while Avraam was. Think of that, a 34-year-old Avraam is better according to Martins (who is probably a better coach than Van Schip) than Koutris, a really talented NT player... A bunch of talents like Androutsos, Manthatis and Durmishaj have been loaned out they are not even in the squad at Oly! Vrousai, Vasiliadis Pavlidis are promising but I am not sure whether they will be able to dominate the game like they did now if they will play against Spain or Netherlands. Galanopoulos was really good, I am quite surprised. I cannot see where Zeca will play or whether he will play at all in the future. Kourbelis, Bouchalakis, Bakakis (especially the latter) are not young any more. Possibly they wont develop really. Torosidis is finished. He said he wanted to retire after this season. Stafylidis as a centre back is error prone. And this was only Pukki now. What will he do if he will manmark/defend against Zaniolo, for example? I really hope Manolas and the likes will have some role in the future.

TL;DR: 1. Our young players have not been put to a real test yet. 2. Quite possibly we wont participate at a tournament until 2024. That would mean another five years without any real success!

No one can dominate Spain, and maybe we win our next match and its four in a row baby!!!

1 hour ago, Bardouuu said:

If Sokratis and Manolas could be incorporated into this system I wouldn’t be mad it... just saying lol

love the way we’re playing but I can’t lie I feel much more at ease with Sokratis and Manolas at the back. Hatzidiakos was quite impressive today though.

Dude, these players are done. Especially Papastathopoulos.

I ended up going to the stadium last night and it was the first time I have seen such an attacking Greece side. It was an absolute pleasure to watch. Still can’t believe how fast Limnios is.

I’m not convinced with Bakakis and would have liked to have seen Vasileiadis come on in midfield instead of Bouchalakis. 

If the EO keep out of it and the Dutchman is allowed the do his thing, then I think he will rebuild a very strong Greek national team.

• Like it 3
  • Thanks 1

II don’t think personally I would bring back Socrates and Manolas, this team has flourished without them. I do think they are good players but they are part of the big problem and there negativity has allowed this team to drop so low.. As leaders they did nothing to make this team better but rather complain and if they didn’t agree with something it would effect there play on the field.. I don’t care who you are you never go to the media and the Epo and demand a coach gets fired or you will not play again that is just classless and you put yourself above the team. Instead of supporting the young players maybe they act as an intimidating factor to certain players and I think they are to involved with who plays and who doesn’t and that won’t fly with JVS.. I would leave them off the team and move forward with this new generation of players..

Anyone that has anything negative to say about this team right now give your head a shake and think back to the style of play you were use to watching and where this team has been the last 5 years.. This football we are playing right now is even much more attractive then even in the early 2000’s where we would park the bus and squeak out 1-0 wins.. I truly believe we are on our way to building something good and a new style of football for the Greek team!!

Overall, it seems that the first half disaster was necessary in order for us to accept a coach like JVS. To drop players like he did. The way we are playing now, I believe we definitely would have qualified.  We may not have the most technical team but we hustle and are fast.  Never thought I would use those words together in describing the team.

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Finlandia said:

Finland ---> Greece flight

https://www.is.fi/huuhkajat/art-2000006314095.html

PS. Sure, they were 100% focus on Greek game.. ?

Dude why you so bitter? Why are you even here? You started out being here for legit reasons and we welcomed you but now your turning into a trolling F..ck this is your first time ever to make a tourney be proud and shut up and When you win a euro championship then You might have some bragging rights.. Go troll somewhere else.

• Like it 2

There it is. Greece beats a Finland team that didn't care and now we will qualify for the next World Cup. ???

Guys we are an embarrassment to the world. Don't even put your shirts on next summer. People will laugh. We are a long way off. Next summer we will again watch from the sidelines. 

Oh shame on us. 

• Like it 1

7 hours ago, J1078 said:

II don’t think personally I would bring back Socrates and Manolas, this team has flourished without them. I do think they are good players but they are part of the big problem and there negativity has allowed this team to drop so low.. As leaders they did nothing to make this team better but rather complain and if they didn’t agree with something it would effect there play on the field.. I don’t care who you are you never go to the media and the Epo and demand a coach gets fired or you will not play again that is just classless and you put yourself above the team. Instead of supporting the young players maybe they act as an intimidating factor to certain players and I think they are to involved with who plays and who doesn’t and that won’t fly with JVS.. I would leave them off the team and move forward with this new generation of players..

Anyone that has anything negative to say about this team right now give your head a shake and think back to the style of play you were use to watching and where this team has been the last 5 years.. This football we are playing right now is even much more attractive then even in the early 2000’s where we would park the bus and squeak out 1-0 wins.. I truly believe we are on our way to building something good and a new style of football for the Greek team!!

Well said, I think you will like this piece https://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/bittersweet-end-to-euro-2020-qualifying

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 2

• Lazarus changed the title to Euro 2020 Group J - Greece-Finland (18 Nov. 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic