Phantis Forums

Greece vs. Bosnia-Herzegovina ( 15 Oct. 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens )

Omonoia9

That was quite a lively performance. Lots of chances, a ton of shots and eventually an own goal from Kovacevic saw us through. Good performances from several Ethniki players, everybody wanted to win, obviously they were motivated! Even Bakasetas was kind of good. We hit the woodwork two times (Masouras Stafylidis) so I think we deserved to win! Congratulations to the players!!

Paschalakis 0 - Bakakis 5.5, Hatzidiakos 5.5, Stafylidis 7, Giannoulis 6, Galanopoulos 6, Kourbelis 6.5, Limnios 6 (Fetfatzidis 0, 80th), Pavlidis 7.5 (Koulouris 5, 70th), Bakasetas 6, Mantalos 6 (Masouras 7.5, 60th).

Bakakis was laughable several times, Hatzidiakos fault did almost cost us two points, Staf looked really well, Pavlidis and Masouras were very dangerous and active, Koulouris looked again very average, Mantalos gave an assist and F***ed up a great chance, and even Bakasetas looked more confident than ever while playing for the Ethniki.

• Thanks 1

We might not agree with JVS playing certain players but let’s be honest he has them playing a good fast paced system with lots of pressure.. The Italy game even though we lost gave us some optimism and we were unlucky but today’s game against Bosnia was the best all around performance in the last 4 years hands down.. With out getting to far ahead of ourselves this coach looks like he knows what he’s doing.. We dominated the Bosnians IMO.. Hope we keep building on this.. Finally a good feeling after a game for once!!

• Like it 4

Haven't seen a game where we had so many shots on target that must've been the main objective and main weakness.

Pavlidis was impressive. Great movement/runs/ and awareness of his team mates.

Seeing Limnios and Fetfatzidis on the wings showed a way we could've played had we played true wingers instead of CAM on the wings. The pace, creativity on the counter attack made a constant threat.

The defenders were dynamic and afford very little space.

I would've like to see Limnios,Fetfa or Donis both play on the wings same time.

His selections still worry me though putting both Mantalos and Bakasetas in there. Bakasetas must be a keener in practice or something becauses Coaches always love playing him. 

One of the things that saddens me is that this kind of performance does basically show that the problem with our team was a mentality one. 

This was far from our best 11 on paper without Fortounis, Manolas, Sokratis and possible a few others Mitroglou, Zeca, Donis Vlacho playing. But everyone seemed focused, tenacious, and looking to take the game to a Win.

• Like it 1

22 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

Haven't seen a game where we had so many shots on target that must've been the main objective and main weakness.

Pavlidis was impressive. Great movement/runs/ and awareness of his team mates.

Seeing Limnios and Fetfatzidis on the wings showed a way we could've played had we played true wingers instead of CAM on the wings. The pace, creativity on the counter attack made a constant threat.

The defenders were dynamic and afford very little space.

I would've like to see Limnios,Fetfa or Donis both play on the wings same time.

His selections still worry me though putting both Mantalos and Bakasetas in there. Bakasetas must be a keener in practice or something becauses Coaches always love playing him. 

One of the things that saddens me is that this kind of performance does basically show that the problem with our team was a mentality one. 

This was far from our best 11 on paper without Fortounis, Manolas, Sokratis and possible a few others Mitroglou, Zeca, Donis Vlacho playing. But everyone seemed focused, tenacious, and looking to take the game to a Win.

They were outstanding today. Just think if we just had Fortounis in there and Donis? Bosnia is so bad defensively as I have been saying for years. Prosenezki was just going nuts on the touch line watching them play. Anyways great win but we blew our chance in this group for second. We can blame Sokratis & manolas with there huge egos for feuding with coach and throwing away easy points vs Armenia and Manolas letting Liechtenstein snag a draw to.We can blame EPO for not having the NT play in a stadium that is full even hockey's best Finland play in a packed stadium. Greece we are a football mad country the stadium should be better than that of OAKA. 

1 hour ago, AchillesHeel said:

I think the Schippster is quickly changing the mentality of the team....even if I don't understand the decision to play Staf at CB for the first time in his career. I have to say that he has changed the complexion of the entire playing style of the NT....close support for passing options, moving forward rather than playing back to the keeper, quick tempo and transition. I don't care if he plays Bakasetas or not so long as he has the team getting results. Bosnia were in a must win situation and we completely dominated them and could have won by 3 of 4 goals easy. I won't complain about the selections seeing that he has them playing proper football and is in the process of resurrecting the until recently flat-lining team spirit.

The defensive play in the last 2 games has improved markedly and this without our 2 "best" CBs, giving up 3 goals: 1 on a boneheaded penalty, 1 on weak goalkeeping and today's goal on a youngsters rookie mistake.....I can live with that and I think we will improve. Football is a team sport and it has to be played as a team both in defense and attack and the Schippmeister has the players doing exactly that....I hope this continues.
Schippy is definitely picking out the players who care enough to put in the effort regardless of talent or reputation and it shows in the last 2 games. This could be the turning point to getting back to a respectable level of play.

JVS has come in and in two months has changed the mindset of this team. He has them playing a high tempo attacking style and really pressing the opposition in there own half. His lineup choices haven't been perfect but I have to admit Bakasetas was good today and if the results are there then so be it. Though I think come the WCUP qualifiers he will field our best starting eleven. 

JVS had the guts to tell Sokratis & Manolas to stay home which I don't think we would have seen from the other coaches that have come before him. They are both top class players but it seems the team is more focused without them. Hopefully if they get the call up again they will focus on playing football and not cause a circus around the NT. 

If they keep up these type of performances than we will see more Greeks filling the stadium. I even saw Donis in the stands applauding the team. We have to get that passion back as we were so use to after our euro glory. 

All in all a positive step forward. 

• Like it 1

Guys please send any link where I can watch the entire game, recently started a new job and wasn’t able to watch. Also, I’ve been saying all along the skill is there, it’s a chem and mental issue this team has, and that’s why I think we will have an unrecognizable squad by the World Cup qualifiers. 

also it’s possible that having Manolas and Sokratis on the field makes other players feel a little more comfortable that they will handle business on defense causing them to not play with the same energy. the players don’t have our star CBs to lean on so they kick into overdrive and play their heart out (to make up for thhe loss). So it may not necessarily be an “ego” issue but just the effect of the “safety net” they provide for other players. Too much of a comfort zone may not be good for these players

Don't want to get carried away but we looked great.  For a non-attacking team, 25 shots is pretty great.  You can still see that we need a bit more quality in the final third. Having said that, our grit was amazing!! So much hustling, so much energy.  I want this to be taken to the next qualifiers.  Saying we are better without Sok/Manolas would not be right.  We need them but they need to play within his system.

• Lazarus changed the title to Greece vs. Bosnia-Herzegovina ( 15 Oct. 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens )
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic