Phantis Forums

Men's Olympic soccer tournament

Ziaka

The Men's Olympic torunament will start on 11-Aug-04 and will complete with the Final game on 28-Aug-04 at the OAKA Stadium. The 3rd place game will take part on 27-Aug-04 at Kaftanzoglio Stadium in Thessaloniki. The Olympic soccer competition willfeature four groups of four teams each. The top 2 teams from each group qualify to the quarterfinals.

So far nations have qualified for Athens: Mexico, Costa Rica, Australia, Argentina, Paraguay and host Greece.

The European qualifiers for the games will be determined during the Under-21 European Championships, which will take place between 22-May and 8-Jun in Germany. the top 3 from this competition will qualify to the Olympic tournament in Athens.

Also to be deetermined are qualifiers from Africa (4), and Asia (3).

• 3 months later...

The African and Asian representatives are now known for the Men's Olympic soccer tournament.

Japan, Korea Republic and Iraq (!!!) are the team representing Asia.

Ghana, Mali, Morocco, and Tunisia will represent Africa.

Still to be determined are the three European teams. They will be known after the U-21 European Championships concludes on June 8, 2004.

Team that qualified for the Men's Soccer Tournament so far:

Argentina

Australia

Costa Rica

Ghana

GREECE

Iraq

Japan

Korea Republic

Mali

Mexico

Morocco

Paraguay

Tunisia

The draw for the final schedule will take place after all the teams are known. That means sometimes after June 8, 2004. I remember reading somewhere that the draw will take place in early July.

The mens soccer championship will be one of my highlights of the Athens games.

What countries do you guys believe will take the medals home?

My Guess is:

1. Spain

2. Greece, because of crowd favouritizum

3. Australia or a European counrty yet to qualify

What do you guys think?

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the semifinal matchups for the Under-21 European Championships:

Sweden - Serbia/Montenegro

Italy - Portugal

Three of those teams will make it to the Olympic soccer torunament. The two finalists, and the team that will win the 3rd place game. The semifinals are being played tommorrow June 5th.

Here are the semifinal matchups for the Under-21 European Championships:

Sweden - Serbia/Montenegro

Italy - Portugal

Three of those teams will make it to the Olympic soccer torunament. The two finalists, and the team that will win the 3rd place game. The semifinals are being played tommorrow June 5th.

Serbia and Montengro and Italy will meet in the final.

Portugal and Sweeden will playoff for 3/4th place.

So after the semifinal games of the U-21 European Championships these are the teams that secured a spot in the Olympic Soccer Tournament:

Argentina

Australia

Costa Rica

Ghana

GREECE

Iraq

Italy

Japan

Korea Republic

Mali

Mexico

Morocco

Paraguay

Serbia-Montenegro

Tunisia

The final spot will be decided between Portugal and Sweden. Olympic soccer tournament draw will take place on June 9 at 11:00 GR.

The final spot will be decided between Portugal and Sweden. Olympic soccer tournament draw will take place on June 9 at 11:00 GR>

I am so disapointed that the US didn't make it. Two of my favorite sports are Baseball and Soccer. I love the US national team. This is such a dissapointment. The last Olympics helped springboard the team into a terrific World Cup performance.

And then, if that's not bad enough, they don't make it for baseball? That's crazy.

:wacko:

Portugal defeated Sweden 3-2 in overtime in the 3rd place game and gained the last Olympic soccer tournament spot.

Let's see what tommorrow's draw produces.

Teams that will be taking part in the Olympic soccer tournament are:

Argentina

Australia

Costa Rica

Ghana

GREECE

Iraq

Italy

Japan

Korea Republic

Mali

Mexico

Morocco

Paraguay

Portugal

Serbia-Montenegro

Tunisia

From what I understand, the Greek team will open the tournament at Kaftanzoglio in Thessaloniki on August 11. At least that was the plan few months ago, and that's why I got tickets to that game. Let's see if the draw will cooperate.

Here is an article about the mens group.

Favorable Draw for Olympians

By Cho Jin-seo

Staff Reporter

The South Korean football team saw their medal hopes rise after getting a favorable draw for the Athens Olympics, being grouped with Mexico, Mali and hosts Greece while avoiding the tournament favorites from Europe and South America.

At the FIFA-run Olympic football draw in Athens on Wednesday, South Korea were placed in Group A, where the top two teams will advance to the quarterfinals.

In previous matches with Mexico at the Olympic level, South Korea have a record of one win, one loss and three draws, the most recent being a scoreless draw at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996.

South Korea have never played Greece, but the U-20 team beat Mali 4-2 in 1999 at the World Youth Championship in Nigeria. Mali defeated Cameroon in the regional qualifier 1-0 to eliminate the defending Olympic champions.

``Mali is a dark horse and Mexico also is not an easy opponent but in general, we are in a decent group,’’ Jang Won-jae, a member of the Korea Football Association’s technical committee told the Yonhap news agency.

South Korea will open against Greece on Aug. 11 and then take on Mexico three days later. The team will wrap up the preliminary round against Mali on Aug. 17.

In other groups, Japan will have a tough time in Group B with Paraguay, Ghana and Italy. Argentina, Serbia-Montenegro, Tunisia and Australia are in Group C, and Costa Rica, Morocco, Iraq and Portugal belong to Group D.

Group A: Greece, South Korea, Mali, Mexico.

Group B: Paraguay, Japan, Ghana, Italy.

Group C: Argentina, Serbia-Montenegro, Tunisia, Australia.

Group D: Costa Rica, Morocco, Iraq, Portugal.

Korean Times

From what I understand, the Greek team will open the tournament at Kaftanzoglio in Thessaloniki on August 11. At least that was the plan few months ago, and that's why I got tickets to that game. Let's see if the draw will cooperate.

It looks like you will see the Greece game. I am trying to find the full schedule. Greece is playing the day that I have tickets for, but I don't know if it's that game. I hope I see Iraq on some twisted level. That would be pretty ironic.

After seeing the groups, i would be very disappointed if we dont go through the group stage.

Greece's group is tough. South Korea and Mexico are top countries. Then again, if you consider that Greece is the home country, you are right.

OK, here are the results of the men's draw:

GROUP A

GREECE

Korea Rep.

Mexico

Mali

GREEK Olympic team schedule:

11-Aug-04: Greece - Korea Republic - Kaftanzoglio Stadium, Thessaloniki

14-Aug-04: Greece - Mali - Kaftanzoglio Stadium, Thessaloniki

17-Aug-04: Greece - Mexico - Pnathessaliko Stadium - Volos

GROUP B

Paraguay

Japan

Ghana

Italy

GROUP C

Argentina

Serbia/Montenegro

Tunisia

Australia

GROUP D

Costa Rica

Moroco

Iraq

Portugal

I will post the full football schedule and pin it down later.

Here is a PDF with the full schedule. You are going to have to match it up with the teams.

http://www.fifa.com/documents/tournaments/...tchSchedule.pdf

http://www.fifa.com/en/LiveDraw/GroupIndex...ex?languageId=E

I believe that I am going to see Argentina vs. Australia mens and Germany vs. Mexico womens. I wish it was better, but it's not too bad. This is the 17th at Karaiskaki.

Guest gunner

After seeing the groups, i would be very disappointed if we dont go through the group stage.

get ready for disappointment... :P

dae han min guk!!!!

get ready for disappointment... :P

dae han min guk!!!!

we will smash korea with a lot of goals! no competition there not a top country wait and see!

and they will never make the same run as they did in the world cup, they bought the refs in the games against italy-spain they were totally outplayed and did not deserve to make it past non off them.

i consider that one off the biggiest scandals of football history, and i cant wait to see them in 2006 in germany again getting outplayed but this time they will not even make it pass the groupstage.

:tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

get ready for disappointment...  :P

dae han min guk!!!!

we will smash korea with a lot of goals! no competition there not a top country wait and see!

and they will never make the same run as they did in the world cup, they bought the refs in the games against italy-spain they were totally outplayed and did not deserve to make it past non off them.

i consider that one off the biggiest scandals of football history, and i cant wait to see them in 2006 in germany again getting outplayed but this time they will not even make it pass the groupstage.

:tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

Korea did not buy the refs. That's b/s. No one is buying Fifa refs. Korea played well and that's all. Is Greece buying refs? Is that why they have spent so much money? :tdown:

Archived