Phantis Forums

2020 (2021) Tokyo Olympics

Blackhawk

8 hours ago, Antaeus7 said:

Now we wonder how many more medals can Greece get before the Olympics end?

I think we can squeeze out one more medal. Best possibility is probably Stefanidi in pole vault, but there is strong competition in that event.

Other chances, but less likely are in water polo, Drisbioti in 20 km walk, Volikakis in cycling and maybe Prevolaraki in wrestling.

• Like it 1

In women's pole vault, Sandi Morris and Alysha Newman (both ranked #3 and #5 respectively) are out of the competition. The ones who are a real threat to Stefanidi are Nageotte, Bradshaw, and Sidorova. 

4 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Other chances, but less likely are in water polo, Drisbioti in 20 km walk, Volikakis in cycling and maybe Prevolaraki in wrestling.

The water polo team definitely can medal, which is something they never have accomplished in the national teams history at the Olympic Games. First thing is first, they have to defeat Montenegro in the quarterfinals. Drisbioti is the most experienced race walker of the three who are taking part, for her to medal isn't likely going to happen. I can see her finish in the top 20 at best. Volikakis started in the krelien during the London and Rio games and wasn't very successful. A change of the track discipline to omnium made him better and he won medals in multiple events at the World and European championships. Hopefully, this move will pay off dividends. Prevolaraki has a good shot, she was very unlucky to lose in the quarterfinals to a Venezuelan wrestler in Rio. Her experience helps a lot as she has had previous success in other major wrestling competitions. Only an Olympic medal eludes her. 

Edited by Antaeus7

Emmanouil Karalis performed his very best in the men's pole vault finals only to fall short of a bronze medal. He was perfect over 5.55, 5.70, and 5.80 up until he failed three attempts at 5.87. I knew breaking Filippidis's Greek national record (5.91) would have done it's job. Big bravo to him, he will contest in major competitions soon. He is just 21 and will do many extraordinary things. 

Douvalidis did not qualify for the semifinals, finished at 13.63, which is his season's best. Afterwards, he said he is planning to go to Paris 2024. By that time he will be 37 years ago. I think it's time Greece needs to find a young male hurdler who can be a star. Vasiliou did not advance to the semifinals, she finishes at 53.16. Tsiamis had to retire after his first jump after picking up an injury. He finishes without a mark. 

Edited by Antaeus7

We did quite poorly in Sailing where we had success in the past. The best we can now accomplish is 4th place in men's 470. 

I think Drisbioti will be a surprise. See her win in the European Walking Cup earlier this year. She might not medal, but I think she will finish at the top.

Karalis was a pleasant surprise. He was close to jumping 5.87. The future belongs to him.

Douvalidis needs to stick around, as there are currently no young prospects that can race below 14 seconds. I am afraid that will be the case for at least the next 3 or 4 years. Douvalidis will remain our no. 1 for a while. Hopefully he won't have such a difficult season as this one (multiple injuries and Covid on top of it).

Our Synchronized Swimming team was banned from participating in the Olympic competition as 3 more athletes from the team came down with Covid. Also our two athletes in the Duet will not be able to compete in the second part of the competition for the same reason.

• Like it 1

Upcoming events on Thursday for the Greek athletes 

06:30 Men's 10 km Marathon Swimming - Kynigakis
15:30 Men's Omnium Scratch Race 1/4 - Volikakis 
16:27 Tempo Race 2/4 
17:07 Elimination Race 3/4 
17:55 Points Race 4/4 (Medal Round) 
19:00 Women's Pole Vault Finals - Stefanidi, Kyriakopoulou 
Follow Up Women's Wrestling Freestyle 53 km Round of 16 - Prevolaraki vs. Valverde (ECU) 

I can see a medal here from Stefanidi as long as she goes over 4.85 or better  
Kyriakopoulou can medal too if she performs like she did in Berlin 2018 (EC)or Beijing 2015 (WC)
Volikakis is ranked among the best in the world in men's omnium, he is competing with 19 other cyclists. He could medal if he can get enough points to take part in the medal round. 
Prevolaraki knows this is her chance to make a serious run at a medal. I am hoping she avoids Sofia Mattsson of Sweden. She is the best wrester in the world of her class. 

Edited by Antaeus7

Greece cannot afford to go behind and expect another comeback. What they have to do is stay discipline, play tight defense to limit them to around 5 or 6 goals, try to score with the fewer chance possible with efficiency. Hungary will have more ball possession and will likely take more shots, so it's up to the Greek goalie and their defense to make the big play like they have against Montenegro. 

Edited by Antaeus7

Our defense and our goalie have been outstanding so far. If they keep it up they have good chance to win.

Good showing by Kynigakis in the 10 km swimming marathon finishing in 5th place.

So close but so far, our 2nd 4th place finish in the Pole Vault, this time for Katerina Stefanidis.

Weird final, most of them out or almost out at the opening height of 4.50m

Oh well, do we think she has 1 more olympic games in her? She will be 34 i think

Bad day overall for Greek athletes at the Olympics with only bright spot Kynigakis in the marathon swimming.

Let's see if the water polo team makes us happy later today/tomorrow. Our last hope for a medal.

• Like it 1

From what I have read from the live commentary World Athletics, there was breezy conditions where the vaulters are having trouble maintaining their balance and the flight they have to go over the bar. This was a terrible women's pole vault finals event I have ever witness in my lifetime. Stefanidi did not deserve to medal because of her early two misses from 4.50. Had her score line matched Bradshaw's (4.50 o 4.70 xo 4.80 xo 4.85 o), she could have gotten bronze. 

Edited by Antaeus7

57 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

Bad day overall for Greek athletes at the Olympics with only bright spot Kynigakis in the marathon swimming.

Let's see if the water polo team makes us happy later today/tomorrow. Our last hope for a medal.

Yes, Volikakis and Prevolarakis performed way too poorly for their standards which seems like most Greek athletes do at the Olympic Games. Our water polo team is our last hope for an Olympic medal. Worst case is 4th place, we better hope that will not happen. They are too good of a team to allow this. Pilidis is wrestling today against a Polish wrestler, I don't know how good he will do. I wish him the best. 

Edited by Antaeus7

Papamichail will race at 3:30 pm CDT in the 50K walk. The three female walkers will take part in the 20K at 2:30 am in the morning. I think they will all do well, but don't expect any medals.

The big water polo match starts at 1:30 am CDT this morning. Let's hope for the best.

Pilidis has a tough opponent and if he wins he will face the world champion.  

From Wikipedia, I read that Antigoni Drisbioti got a 15th place finish in Rio. So this is her 2nd Olympic game appearance. I hope she will finish better than 10th place and try to contest like Kynigakis did in the marathon swimming. I also went to European Athletics website and she did win gold in the 35 km race walk at the European Athletics Race Walk Championships.