Phantis Forums

2020 (2021) Tokyo Olympics

Blackhawk

Blackhawk, in the sailing events, Karachaliou will be competing in the medal rounds in the women's laser radial. I believe top 10 sailors qualify. She finished 9 in the standings. Mitakis in the men's Finn is currently 11th place with 4 races to go and Mantis/Kaligaris in men's 470 are 10th place, also with 4 races to go. Those guys still have a chance to make a good run. 

Other results today
Pesiridou failed to finish her race, gets a DNF
Anagnostopoulou finishes with a throw of 59.18, finishing 19th overall
Filippidis fails to qualify, finishes at 5.50 (22nd place)
Gkolomeev finishes 2nd in his semifinal race at 21.60 to advance into the finals. Again he swam the 3rd fastest time in the heats. 

Edited by Antaeus7

https://www.protothema.gr/olubiakoi-agones-2020/article/1147988/olubiakoi-agones-stivos-traumatistike-i-pesiridou-kai-egateleipse-deite-video/

Her interview was pretty heartbreaking

poor thing

I think she broke something, she says she hears something "crack" as she left the line

κριμα 😥

Edited by paokara777
  • Sad 2

Stamatia Scarveli is throwing in group A
She will need to throw well over 70 meters in order to qualify. 
Kristian Gkolomeev must swim better than 21.60 if he wants to walk away with the medal. Anything less than that time mentioned and he will likely be out of the podium. Vasileia Karachaliou is racing in the laser radial medal round. The race is up for grabs. Good luck to everybody in today's events. 

• Like it 1

Scarveli finishes her day with 69.01 (no qualification). 
Gkolomeev finished 5th in the finals at 21.72. Like I said earlier, if he finishes over 21.60, he has no chance to medal. I was spot on. 

Edited by Antaeus7

2 hours ago, Soprano76 said:

What happened with the weight lifter Iakovidis? 

He finished 3rd yesterday in Group B.

Correction: The other group top 3 beat everyone in his group, and they got the medals.

Edited by paokara777

Our Greek sailor Vasiliea Karachaliou finished 9th overall (3rd in the final race). 
Today, Greece should get 2 medals from Petrounias and Tentoglou. Our hammer throwers from Chania (Frantzeskakis/Anastasakis) will be in action for qualification. Automatic qualifying spot is 77.50. I like Christos chance better than Michail, but only if he throws over 76 meters which would be enough to get in. Spanoudaki running in the second heat of the 200 meters. Like earlier, only a PB will get her into the semifinals. Stefanidi, Polak, and Kyriakopoulou all in action for the evening session in women's pole vault. I only see Stefanidi in the finals, unless the other two can go over 4.70 (automatic spot). Karalis is competing in the finals on Tuesday morning. Greece plays USA in the final group play of men's water polo. This game is important for postitioning purpose. The only team I want in the quarterfinals is Montenegro. Greece definitely want to avoid Serbia, Spain, or Croatia in the early knockout stage. 

Edited by Antaeus7

This could be a good day for our athletes, but let's not get our hopes up like we did in the past few days only to be disappointed. Tentoglou should medal, but it will be a tough competition with the Cuban who jumped 8.50m in qualifying. The gold medal will be decided in the 8.70 m mark.

Petrounias is the favorite for the gold, but he returned to full competition only recently. His past experience will surely help him.

As for Iakovidis there was no scandal. It was just the athlete breaking down after the competition spilling his guts on how difficult it is for the Greek athletes to train for the Olympics, with minimal help from the government, while politician fat cats, such as the Minister of Sports writing himself 20,000 Euro check from state funds so he could travel to Tokyo and take picture with the successful athletes. 

• Like it 3

I cant believe it

I feel bad for the Cubans with their injuries, sad for them, happy they still got the silver and bronze

But imagine the pressure on Tentoglous shoulders that he had 1 more jump to beat them....

• Like it 1

In other results from athletics 
Both Anastasakis (73.52 22nd place) and Frantzeskakis (72.19 25th place) failed to qualify for the finals 
Spanoudaki has qualified for the semifinals at 23.16, big accomplishment there for the athlete from Rhodes! 

In men's water polo Greece defeats USA 14-5 to grab top seed in Group A. 

Edited by Antaeus7
  • Like it 1

It's OK, he managed to medal at least. He was coming back from surgery. His routine is still very good. Now we wonder how many more medals can Greece get before the Olympics end?

Edited by Antaeus7

Both Stefanidi and Kyriakopoulou qualified at 4.55. Polak missed out at 4.40 (19th place). Judges decided to call it off after 15 pole vaulters went over 4.55. They had a long rain delay and the conditions wasn't too safe. This will be Nikoleta's first medal round game in the Olympics of her career. Spanoudaki's run in the 200 meters ends with 23.38 (23rd overall). 

Edited by Antaeus7