Phantis Forums

2020 (2021) Tokyo Olympics

Blackhawk

The schedule for the Greek athletes in track and field (Those times posted are local in Tokyo)

Friday (30/7) 
12:15 Women's 100 meters (H) Spanoudaki 
19:05 Women's triple jump (Q) Papachristou 

Saturday (31/7) 
09:30 (Group A) 10:55 (Group B) Women's discus throw (Q) Anagnostopoulou
09:40 Men's pole vault (Q) Filippidis, Karalis 
10:45 Women's 100 meter hurdles (H) Pesiridou
19:10 Men's long jump (Q) Tentoglou
19:15 Women's 100 meters (SF)
21:50 Women's 100 meters (Final) 

Sunday (1/8)
09:10 (Group A) 10:40 (Group B) Women's hammer throw (Q) Skarveli
19:45 Women's 100 meter hurdles (SF) 
20:15 Women's triple jump (Final)

Monday (2/8) 
09:00 (Group A) 10:30 (Group B) Men's hammer throw (Q) Anastasakis, Frantzeskakis
10:20 Men's long jump (Final)
10:30 Women's 200 meters (H) Spanoudaki
11:50 Women's 100 meter hurdles (Final)
19:20 Women's pole vault (Q) Stefanidi, Kyriakopoulou, Polak
19:25 Women's 200 meters (SF) 
20:00 Women's discus throw (Final) 

Tuesday (3/8) 
09:00 Men's triple jump (Q) Tsiamis
09:45 Women's 400 meters (H) Vasiliou
19:10 Men's 110 meter hurdles (H) Douvalidis
19:20 Men's's pole vault (Final) 
20:35 Women's hammer throw (Final)
21:50 Women's 200 meters (Final) 

Wednesday (4/8) 
11:00 Men's 110 meter hurdles (SF)
19:30 Women's 400 meters (SF)
20:15 Men's hammer throw (Final) 

Thursday (5/8) 
11:00 Men's triple jump (Final) 
11:55 Men's 110 meter hurdles (Final) 
19:20 Women's pole vault (Final) 

Friday (6/8) 
05:30 Men's 50 km race walk (Final) Papamichail 
16:30 Women's 20 km race walk (Final) Drisbioti, Tsinopoulou, Filtisakou
21:35 Women's 400 meters (Final) 

Good luck to our track & field athletes. I expect a medal from Tentoglou, and couple appearances in the finals.

Today at 7:30 pm CDT, Kyridou and Bourbou will race in the Pairs Rowing final. If they perform as they did in the semifinal they have a good chance to medal. Shortly after the Pair's final the two other rowers will attempt to qualify to the finals in the women's (Kyridou) and men's (Douskos) single sculls. 

Early tomorrow morning ( 4 am CDT) Tsitsipas and Sakkari will play Barty, Peers in the quarterfinal of mixed pairs in tennis. 

• Like it 1

Korakaki will be performing in the 25m pistol qualification precision which I am expecting her to go to the finals. This shooting event she does better than the 10m air pistol. Psarra is facing Lin of Taiwan in the round of 32 women's individual archery. Lots of sailing action during the morning session. Greece face host nation Japan in the men's polo water. In swimming, the mixed 4x100 team will perform around 06:27 Tokyo time to try to qualify for the finals. In that group, Theodora Drakou is from Patras, where I was born. Iakovidis lifts on Saturday in the 96 kg class. 

Edited by Antaeus7
  • Like it 1

Korakaki will have another qualifying round to complete, next one is the rapid fire. She is currently in 2nd. Top 8 advances to the finals. Psarra eliminated by Lin 6-4, started off well in the two sets, stumbled in the last three. Greece defeats Japan 10-9 in men's water polo, it was close. The mixed Greek swimming team in the 4x100 did not qualify, finished 11th overall. Kokkalanis and Divari both were eliminated from their respective sailing events and will not compete in the medal round. Kalachaliou is currently 9th in the Laser Radial race and has 2 races left, she got to produce a good showing in order to compete in the medal round. Sakkari/Tsitsipas lost to Australia's Barty/Peers 4-6, 6-4, (6-10).  

In rowing, a disappointing finish for the Greek women's pair as they finished 5th. 
Maria's older sister Annette Kyridou failed to qualify for the medal round in the women's single sculls 
Douskos won his race in the semifinals and will be contesting for a medal later today. 

• Like it 1

I expected a much better showing by our tennis players. I thought both Tsitsipas and Sakkari would reach at least the semifinals. I did not expect much in the mixed pairs as they usually don't play mixed pairs.

Douskos looked very good in both of his quarter and semis races and hopefully he will do better than our pairs athletes.

• Like it 2

In men's pole vault, USA's Sam Kendricks (who is one of the favorites to win gold) will be out after tested positive for COVID-19. Also, Russia's Timur Morgunov (won silver in the 2018 European Championship) is out after he was not selected as one of 10 Russian athletes to take part as ANA. This could give Karalis little hope of qualifying for the finals. 

Edited by Antaeus7
  • Like it 1

Just now, Antaeus7 said:

Olympic record as well 🇬🇷

*olympic best, which i think means at this current olympic games otherwise it would say OR not OB

might me wrong, someone who knows more than me please correct me lol

6 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

I thought both Tsitsipas and Sakkari would reach at least the semifinals.

Same here ziaka

They did only lose in the tiebreaker but i thought that they would be a chance for a medal to be honest. 

Ashleigh Barty is a very good tennis player though, i think she's no1 in the world at the moment, and sometimes in the mixed doubles the stronger woman player can turn a game.  Maria Sakkari played pretty well though, i think she will improve over the next year or two and maybe start to make it deep into grand slam tournaments. She's a rising star for greece.

Edited by paokara777

Anna Korakaki is ready to defend her Olympic title from 5 years ago. She qualifies thru to the finals finishing 5th with 584 points (24 hit targets). The medal round will start in 2 hours. Good luck! 

Well, it seems like nerves got to her, another 6th place finish. 
When you win 2 medals from 5 years ago in Rio, that is a lot of pressure try to achieve greater things in Tokyo. 
She will be back, only 25 and still have plenty of years ahead of her. 
In track and field, Spanoudaki failed to qualify for the semifinals in the women's 100 meters, finishing 35th place overall at 11.45. Only a personal best better than 11.27 could have put her through. 

Edited by Antaeus7

Papachristou is sometimes an enigma. You don't know what you can get out of her. She will need to jump over 14.25 (her outdoor SB) in order to qualify. No room for error in these three jumps. 

In other actions later today
Kristian Gkolomeev will be swimming in the 50m freestyle heats. He is one of the favorites to reach the finals and potentially medal. Also the Greek swimming men's 4x100 team in action in the pool after the 50m freestyle heats. 

😂🤣😂🤣 Wow, Papachristou simply does not have it anymore. 12.23 is her best mark for the day. I knew in my heart she was going to be an epic failure. On the positive side, Gkolomeev easily qualifies to the semifinals winning his heat at 21.66. 

Of course like all other relay team, the 4x100 men's medley relay team fails to qualify for the finals, finishing 14th place overall. In track and field, Anagnostopoulou will be throwing in group A, in search of a 60 + meter throws, she has not done that since 2017. Karalis is in group A, while Filippidis in group B. Karalis has a small chance to qualify while Filippidis will likely not qualify since he never went over 5.55 this season. Pesiridou is running in the third heat, she will need to better her 13.06 to advance into the semifinals. Tentoglou will be in group B, he has a very good chance to qualify since he is very capable of jumping past the automatic qualifying mark of 8.15. Gkolomeev will be swimming in the second semifinals race and has a very good chance to qualify for the finals. He is currently the 3rd fastest swimmier from the heats. 

Papachristou was a big disappointment, but not unexpected  considering she was very poor in competition in 2021.

Except for Tentoglou and maybe Karalis, I don't expect anybody else qualifying from the qualifiers today and tomorrow.

Golomeev's time was the 3rd best in qualifying. he has the potential of qualifying to the final where anything can happen in a race that lasts slightly over 21 seconds.

Any medal hopes in Sailing are fading away unless the 470 men can turn it around in the remaining races.

Korakaki was under intense pressure, and let's not forget the competition was very strong in both competitions. Taking this into consideration she did fairly well. One miss and she would have missed the final round yesterday.

We are doing well in water polo. We already secured a spot in quarterfinals, but still have two group games left (South Africa and USA). Hopefully we can finish strong and get an easier opponent in the quarterfinal.

1 hour ago, Blackhawk said:

Except for Tentoglou and maybe Karalis, I don't expect anybody else qualifying from the qualifiers today and tomorrow.

What about Iakovidis in the weightlifting, does he have an outside chance?