Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Greece-Liechtenstein (8 September 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)

nasl

But we can forget the nations league to get to the World Cup. Only the top 2 best teams who haven't qualified through the group stages will qualify for the playoffs. Greece has no chance in this because of being in group C. We are to far down the pecking order. 

Edited by Torontoblue

World cups are out of the question. Future Euros are a possibility but still hard. Van Schip really had no idea what he had walked into. As much as im not a fan the rot had set in long before his arrival.

However i did say one thing about Van Schip seeing him coach in Melbourne and thats that his teams always copped goals in the last 10 minutes of games with alarming regularity...yesterday was no exception.

6 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

This was a match we should have won without a coach, won it with our reserves. I cannot believe a team of professionals couldn't achieve a result. You'd think the introduction of a new coach would give players motivation. Instead, and I'll quote the commentator our attack was laboured. Not one decent dribble in 90 minutes.

I anticipate that there will be some serious omissions vs Italy and more new faces in the squad.

Realistically we are a long shot for the WC 2022, and it may be another 5 years before we make a major tournament again.

Im willing to accept not making qatar if it means we sort ourselves out and make a serious tilt for 2026 us/canada/mexico...short of Australia or Greece hosting that would be my next favourite world cup to attend.

• Like it 1

11 minutes ago, ausgreek said:

Kone from Western Utd fc might be an option higher up.

When was the last time this guy played a serious match? Anyone in a mickey mouse league like the Australian or mls should be automatically ruled out.

And on Cyprus no crap they are winning 3-0..they actually look like they wanna be there and are competing hard.

Even the blockheads are up 2-0 at latvia..another game we would have no chance of winning right now.

9 hours ago, J1078 said:

I know most of us are not a fan of this coach but when you listen to his post game press conference he is very logical and I like what he had to say.. He understands this team is broken and changes need to be made and it will be a long process..

I’m willing to give him time to come up with a roster of players who he thinks want to be a part of the NT and who will work in his system. The team was unfortunate not to get the victory yesterday lots of good chances koulouris header of the bar, Manolas shot of the bar, a goal called of incorrectly because the ref said the ball had gone over by line on tsimkas cross back to box which koulouris put in. Masouras had a nice shot labeled for the top corner that was remarkably saved. 

I still can’t believe how Manolas got beat on that goal by Salonovic. That’s the way it’s going right now. I 

• Like it 1

The goal was it was, a quick player had half the field to work with, he beat our CB's for pace it happens. Manolas has clocked the quickest speed in Serie A, the other player was just express quick and finished well. He is one of a few players who play at a decent level in the Liechtenstein squad in the Swiss league with Thun. When you don't bury your chances you leave yourself open to counters that may cost you. Still no excuse but on another day we are 3-0 up and that counter probably never happens and if it does we win 3-1. 

There are issues no doubt, the good thing is it seems Van't Schip is going to stick around and be given the opportunity to lead us into qualifying next year let's see what he can do and if he's backed by the players, that's the key. They are the ones who call the shots in Greece. 

Edited by paokarag4
  • Like it 1

The highly criticised players from the Lietchenstein match were Samaris for wayward pass and slow with ball at his feet, Bakakis not having the skill at this level even though he does alot of running and Manolas for not spotting the opposing player slip through that gap, and Manolas got outpaced by the faster player to score. 

Finally, I hope everyone is Finally over Manolas and his continuous garbage cause he is a name only, a light of other days. I hope Skip plays younger players sooner rather than later.

On Manolas speed: I never thought is was really that fast; in game situations I have seen him get outpaced/outrun occasionally even in Superleague.

I believe it happened on another of NT losses a couple of years back against North Ireland.

He reach Pukki but how fast Pukki is? However I was surprised he was not able to faul him. Actually in the play Papastathopoulos covered more ground.

Quincy that used to play for PAO was really fast.

I cannot play blame him for being outrun; I blame the CBs position.You can not be 5 meters ahead of a CF.

2 hours ago, ausgreek said:

The highly criticised players from the Lietchenstein match were Samaris for wayward pass and slow with ball at his feet, Bakakis not having the skill at this level even though he does alot of running and Manolas for not spotting the opposing player slip through that gap, and Manolas got outpaced by the faster player to score. 

Finally, I hope everyone is Finally over Manolas and his continuous garbage cause he is a name only, a light of other days. I hope Skip plays younger players sooner rather than later.

You are right in a way. Manolas is the most useful player to have on this team. Great at headers, especially in corners. Great defender and has pace. I was really surprised he couldn’t catch the Lichtenstein forward. I expected more. Even Sokratis was trying to catch him. After they scored my heart sunk. I couldn’t believe it also Barkas should’ve done better but he isn’t to blame.

Samaris and Bakakis are not good enough for this team. We have to find replacements. Maybe Tachtsidis needs to come back.

Coach van't Schip has copped a lot of criticism after the poor results.

I found this interesting ..

"... ακόμη και για έναν 'μπαρουτοκαπνισμένο', εγνωσμένης αξίας τεχνικό, το έργο 'ανοικοδόμησης' της εθνικής θα έμοιαζε δύσκολο και χρονοβόρο, and "Πόσω μάλλον για τον Ολλανδό, που προπονητικά δεν είχε να επιδείξει κάτι εντυπωσιακό και που έμοιαζε να έχει εκείνος περισσότερο ανάγκη από μια τέτοια συνεργασία, παρά το αντίθετο..."

and

"Σε κάθε περίπτωση η επιλογή του Φαν'τ Σιπ δεν ενθουσιάζει, καθώς μπορεί να ήταν ένας εξαιρετικός ποδοσφαιριστής με θητεία σε Άγιαξ και Τζένοα μετρώντας 41 συμμετοχές με την εθνική Ολλανδίας, ωστόσο ως τεχνικός δεν έχει τίποτε εντυπωσιακό στο παλμαρέ του.:"

Here is the full article https://www.contra.gr/podosfairo/ta-6-vimata-tis-ethnikis-elladas-mechri-tin-anypolipsia.7497910.html

The Greece NT job is a big challenge for any coach, but the fact van't Schip has been to Australia and Mexico is not necessarily a negative as it shows that he is prepared to move outside his comfort zone to further his own development. I am not sure he will succeed, but what I see is a professional who communicates well with the press and therefore with the players. His answers to difficult questions shows he is a coach who understand and realises the situation he finds himself in and what needs to be done. Greece NT is a team lacking in confidence, lacking in quality in key areas and undeserving of sold out stadiums. Injuries, retirements, an underperforming league, a lack of players playing in big leagues and a side that built it's success on defence are all contributing factors.

I remember in Australia between 2014-17 van't Schip was very respected for the job he did with foundational club Melbourne City (fka. Melbourne Heart). The club built a reputation for attacking and high-scoring soccer, and had it's most sustained period of on-field success during van't Schip's time in charge. He left the club mid-way through the 2016/17 season to be with his terminally ill father. He formed a good working relationship with Michael Valkanis as his assistant and they are both now working together in the NT. These guys are no mugs, they have an eye for talent, and will roll their sleeves and will work with and bring the best talent to the NT.

Another thing, van't Schip made it clear he will need time, he will work with youger players but won't automatically drop senior experienced players if they can help the team in next 2 years as he restarts the team. 

Call me crazy, but I am actually excited and look forward to Italy and Bosnia in Oct.

Edited by kbxk508
  • Like it 3

9 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

The goal was it was, a quick player had half the field to work with, he beat our CB's for pace it happens. Manolas has clocked the quickest speed in Serie A, the other player was just express quick and finished well. He is one of a few players who play at a decent level in the Liechtenstein squad in the Swiss league with Thun. When you don't bury your chances you leave yourself open to counters that may cost you. Still no excuse but on another day we are 3-0 up and that counter probably never happens and if it does we win 3-1. 

There are issues no doubt, the good thing is it seems Van't Schip is going to stick around and be given the opportunity to lead us into qualifying next year let's see what he can do and if he's backed by the players, that's the key. They are the ones who call the shots in Greece. 

Van’t Schip in host post match news conference said at HT they talked about not letting Salonovic hit us with his speed on the counter, unfortunately he did. As you said it should have been 3 nil or more at the time so it wouldn’t have mattered as much.

1 hour ago, Polikastano said:

Greece tied Liechenstien at home.   This is probably as low as it gets.  

I remember the days on here years back when  people would complain about guys like Katsouranis.   Well you got what you wanted look at you now. 

You say look at you know like this doesn’t effect you... are you not a fan?? Either way at some point those guys were going to retire anyways so what’s your point??

The coach deserves NO criticism he’s only been here a month he doesn’t know the players he needs time and should be given time you can’t keep changing a coach every few games you will never build consistency as every coach has a different philosophy.. the truth in the matter is we should have beat this team with our B and C players this is NOT on the coach at all.. He is very professional in his interviews he seems very logical and seems to realize how deep our problems are unlike Ange who came in and said we will win right away.. He may not be anywhere near a high quality coach but he deserves a chance.. let’s see how he performs in the next games and in the World Cup qualifier before we pass judgment..

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

You say look at you know like this doesn’t effect you... are you not a fan?? Either way at some point those guys were going to retire anyways so what’s your point??

A lot of people criticized Katsouranis back then and wanted younger players in the squad. Some of them already deleted themselves from this forum but I guess some of their posts could be found even now. Gekas, Vyntra and Tziolis also had their haters but Katsouranis literally was to blame for everything. And of course Santos who always chose his favorite mummies, created a boring defensive team that was painful to watch and thwarted the development of terrific talents like Nines/Tachtsidis/Fetfatzidis etc. etc.

• Like it 2

I think the team lacks cohesion. We need to find a team and stick to it. I hope with this next restart proper players with talent are called up and players who are going to be needed down the road. Meaning Samaris shouldn’t play. We are lacking creativity and finishing. We need more quality outwide too. These areas need fixing. I don’t know if we have the quality players to help this. Maybe L.Lamprou gets a look. Maybe Galanopoulos too. I’d like to see Lykogiannis again. Koutris should be our starting LB. Vlachodimos should go back in goals. Donis needs to start in this team. Fetfatzidis has to be in this team. Fetfatzidis is one of a few players with quality. Hopefully we start looking at Greek heritage players like Vasiliadis who plays at Paderborn and is the reason why they got promoted. 

• Like it 1

• Lazarus changed the title to Euro 2020 Group J - Greece-Liechtenstein (8 September 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic