Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Finland vs Greece (5 September 2019, Ratinan Stadium, Tampere)

Alphonse

Another campaign failed prematurely. Losing to subpar opposition. 

FInland was lucky to win, but we are a dreadful team nonetheless. 

Sokratis will retire in 2 months and a major piece of this generation will be gone. We have no players of this calibre in the ranks. 

As for the game, Greece is very slow. All they are good at is passing the ball back. Their crosses and long-balls stink as always. There is no hope for this team. 

They coulnd't even give us meaningful games in october and november the cowards.

• Like it 2

Our performance: Barkas 6 - Torosidis 5 (Bakakis 5), Manolas 6, Sokratis 5.5, Stafylidis 5 - Bouchalakis 5, Vrousai 5.5, Kourbelis 5.5 - Masouras 5, Koulouris 4.5 (Pavlidis 5.5), Kolovos 4.5 (Pelkas 5). A wholly mediocre production. Defense was okay in the first half. Then they conceded a penalty. In midfield we missed Zeca IMO. In the attacking third,  we did nothing, except for some flashes from Vrousai and Pavlidis.

• Like it 1

11 minutes ago, J1078 said:

The Dark ages are back there is no kidding ourselves The Greek national team will be non existent in tournaments for years.

It's really bad when we can't finish 2nd in this cream puff group with Finland, Bosnia and Armenia. Gamoto.. 

• Like it 1

3 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Embarrassing like losing to trashy Canada!! Kourbelis stupid challenge at the top of the box. 

Greece doesn’t have the players to even beat Canada. Lmaooo. At least Canada has good young players. 

Kolovos scores 1 flukey header and now he's a permanent fixture in the squad.

Somehow Tsimikas, who tore it up in UCL qualys, is on the bench in favor of Stafylidis. 

Toro, the old man who is barely a bench player at Oly, earns a start. 

Vrousai, some Albanian nobody, earns a start.

• Haha 1

I've been saying the same thing since We failed to qualify in 2016. You could see the writing on the wall. Greece will not qualify for another tournament for a long long long time. We could already tell when as Euro champions we couldn't even qualify for the World Cup in Germany  shame??

We won the Euros in 04 but what has changed? There has been no change with the federation or teams in building youth. Look at portugal where they keep challenging for youth titles and pumping out young players. What does Greece have? Nothing. 

I hope we all enjoyed those 5 tournaments we qualified for since 04. Because we won't qualify again.  Lol ? 

• Like it 3

I actually think sokratis and manolas did their thing. Showed out after the epo agreed to their demands. I don’t want torosidis in the squad but he is the only one that can cross the ball apparently.

stafylidis crosses were dreadful. I can’t blame koulouris or pavlidis unfortunately they had no type of delivery. 

I cant blame the coach, he really had no time at all and it’s a brand new teams with players that haven’t played together.

overall we were trash, but that penalty is a shitty way to lose, I would have been glad to take the 0-0 as I was watching the game.

finland plays very well and I wouldn’t be surprised if they could tie Italy at home.

1 minute ago, Soprano76 said:

Somehow Tsimikas, who tore it up in UCL qualys, is on the bench in favor of Stafylidis. 

Vrousai did ok for his debut. We can work with him. Kolovos was bad today as was the team in general. I guess it’s time to scrap the whole team and start fresh.

3 minutes ago, Torontoblue said:

I've been saying the same thing since We failed to qualify in 2016. You could see the writing on the wall. Greece will not qualify for another tournament for a long long long time. We could already tell when as Euro champions we couldn't even qualify for the World Cup in Germany  shame??

We won the Euros in 04 but what has changed? There has been no change with the federation or teams in building youth. Look at portugal where they keep challenging for youth titles and pumping out young players. What does Greece have? Nothing. 

I hope we all enjoyed those 5 tournaments we qualified for since 04. Because we won't qualify again.  Lol ? 

Yep, only missed the 2006 World Cup in that span and even that was close. Won the Euro, got back into Euro 2008, qualified for South Africa, got into Euro 2012, did well, only lost when we ran into Germany. Qualified for Brazil, got out of our group, really should have at least got to the quarterfinals. As soon as we got back from Brazil, boom, lose to Faroe Islands twice, get nowhere near Euro 2016, did a little better trying to qualify for Russia, lost a playoff to the eventual runners-up, but then a lackluster showing in the Nations League, and now another poor showing as we're all set to miss Euro 2020. Anyone think this team will be in Qatar? Ha!

• Like it 1

9 minutes ago, Soprano76 said:

Exactly on Kolovos. He was good for 20 minutes vs Bosnia, then make him a super-sub, not a permanent fixture. He sucks unfortunately. 

Toro is bad and out of shape. He had cramps in both legs and we wasted an important sub on him late in the game. 

I hate to beat an old drum, and I get that he is not what we thought would pan out, but for god's sake, give Fetfa 10 minutes so he can run at those Finnish league defenders and maybe force a play. He was one of the only player the coach didn't even warm up. Are the forwards at our disposal that much better?

What an utter failure. 

• Like it 2

Coach can’t be to blame as he’s barely seen the players.  Pelkas, Kourbelis, kolovos, Bakakis and stafylidis should not be part of the set up ever again.

vrousai showed energy and skill but this team needs fortounis and donis at their top level to help compete. Fetfatzidis should have started or at least come on at half time. The lack of energy and SKILL is unbelievable 

• Like it 3

Tsimikas should've started. He's been in great form for champions league olympiakos

also, we didn't start our 4 best attacking third palyers Donis, Mitroglou, Fetfatzidis, Fortounis (Injury).

Mitroglou

Donis Fortounis Fetfa

Kourbelis Zeca

Tsimikas Manolas Sokratis Torosidis

Vlachodimos

I what I would've done.  Since Fortounis was injured I'd just slot Vrousai or Pelkas in there as the CAM. Mitroglou can make something out of nothing as he's shown at PSV 2 goals playing on 15 minutes + target man / strength. 

pelkas I think is decent when playing central but I think he was put out wide again.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, georgelaz said:

Tsimikas should've started. He's been in great form for champions league olympiakos

also, we didn't start our 4 best attacking third palyers Donis, Mitroglou, Fetfatzidis, Fortounis (Injury).

Exactly, Donis and Mitroglou not even called up? Fetfa not even warmed up and considered for 10 minutes? As if we have better players in the fold. We do not. 

Look he didn’t call up Donis and Mitroglou as they are unfit. We shouldn’t have to rely on these guys all the time and when we do will still don’t get the job done most of the time. Vrousai and Pavlidis looked fine. We can use them in the future. We can work with them. You can’t work with guys like Koulouris, Kourbelis, Bakakis etc. 

The whole team is at fault.

• Like it 2

5 minutes ago, nick said:

Coach can’t be to blame as he’s barely seen the players.  Pelkas, Kourbelis, kolovos, Bakakis and stafylidis should not be part of the set up ever again.

vrousai showed energy and skill but this team needs fortounis and donis at their top level to help compete. Fetfatzidis should have started or at least come on at half time. The lack of energy and SKILL is unbelievable 

You can add Koulouris to that list aswell.

6 minutes ago, Argy said:

Exactly on Kolovos. He was good for 20 minutes vs Bosnia, then make him a super-sub, not a permanent fixture. He sucks unfortunately. 

Toro is bad and out of shape. He had cramps in both legs and we wasted an important sub on him late in the game. 

I hate to beat an old drum, and I get that he is not what we thought would pan out, but for god's sake, give Fetfa 10 minutes so he can run at those Finnish league defenders and maybe force a play. He was one of the only player the coach didn't even warm up. Are the forwards at our disposal that much better?

What an utter failure. 

Spot on Argy... spot on

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic