Phantis Forums

PAO League Games 2019-2020

This team will be better than last year. There are several players not ready yet. But, let's not forget we couldn't get better players because of the budget. We're a mediocre team. Hopefully we'll earn a Euro spot, so we could erase the UEFA penalty on us.

The new sports minister said ERT will have to stop wasting money on buying tv rights from clubs, ours included. Even though it'll hurt PAO, I think it's the right decision. I read that they would give millions in contracts but would make only a fraction from ads while televising games. This sport's quality has declined and the public isn't interested. Sad.

Lost 1-3 to OFI in an abysmal display....the team is in crisis once again. Nunes put in a rodeo clown show making himself look completely inept....I would have felt sorry for him if he had put in a proper effort but seemed to almost not want to try. The team as a whole looked completely dysfunctional and lost...the only bright spot was Parea coming on and actual playing with energy and verve. The new players who have been inserted into the lineup and taken the place of others who in the preseason put in the effort and made PAO look decent have been  total garbage...Donis should have stuck with the youngsters and added a quality stopper and DM instead of bringing a bunch of unknown entities who have thrown the the team into a state of confusion. Made OFI look like titans and PAO like a bunch of amateurs....shame on Donis and Dabizas. They sign all these nobodies but won't give Xatzigiovannis an extra 20 grand to sign....bunch of [email protected]#%ing posers.

• Like it 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This weekend's matchup against Aris (and the aftermath) will pretty much dictate the rest of the season. If the team can't get a positive result the rest of the year will be a wash....I doubt there will be any consequences for Donis and Dabizas other than being targeted by the fans, acting as a shield for Alafouzos.

• 2 weeks later...

Dabizas and Donis were tossed a lifeline after this weekends 1-1 tie with Oly. It was a pretty solid effort all around with minimal chances given to the opposition who were outplayed by PAO....and boy that Parea kid can really play. I'm kinda glad Macheda will be out for a few weeks and this kid can get a run of games as a starter, if he isn't given the nod now then something is really wrong internally with the team. I'm still scratching my head as to why Dabizas and Donis thought that we had the depth to loan out players....something that has already backfired with the limited options available. Kolovos is slowly turning into a bust with each game he plays....slow and clumsy and unable to contribute anything positive....I hope he can turn things around for himself and start by getting into gameshape. The new CB, Bart Schenkeveld, looked pretty good in his first appearance so that's another positive to take away from the game.

• Like it 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Another ridiculous game today with Xanthi scoring in extra time to win it....a lot of moaning and b!thc#ing about the refereeing in this one but when you start Kolovos in his present state as striker you deserve whatever you get. Donis has really shot himself in the foot lately with his inability to field a proper line up and I think he's lost all control of the locker room. He seems dead set on Kolovos and his son as sure fire starters and he's going to end up having them become scapegoats even though Kolovos is out of form and young Donis is simply very limited....both can be useful when used properly but neither can be depended upon to perform at this moment. Leaving Molo out of the line up for disciplinary reasons was another bone headed move by the coach....not that the frenchman is a world beater but simply because the team doesn't have the quality or depth to provide other options. The thing is PAO tied Oly and now Donis is untouchable regardless how many dumba$$ moves he makes.....things are gonna get ugly.

I agree with what you say, except I don't think Donis' position is "untouchable"....  Unless, Alafouzos doesn't care about the team's fortunes.

The sports reporters, especially the ones close/favoring PAO, didn't really criticized the summer transfers and the plan... OK, the budget is dreadful even for Greek teams, but we got unready (fat?) and injured (or with a history of injuries) players.

The friendlies during the summer gave me hope for this season, but heck, I'll be happy if we don't fall further down....

As for the Xanthi game, yeah ok, PAO could have gotten something better if it weren't for the refs. But, if we can't win these games, forget it. What's to look for? Another tie at Oly or AEK? 

tsk

The thing is that if Donis stuck with the same youngsters as last year they all would be theoretically improving overall as a team with 1 year more experience and tutelage as shown in the preseason....so why loan them out, cause wage disputes, ruin the locker room and bring in unready and unnecessary reinforcements and ostracize players. What you say about Alafouzos not caring is shown in the way the administration handled the Xatziovanni situation....the team will lose an up and coming young player without any compensation to the team....how does one interpret that?

• 2 months later...

Chugging along.... A mediocre team, with the exception when playing against the big 3.

I'd be happy if they avoided the playouts. Any news about the transfers in Jan? What's going on with DG and Athens Alive?

• Like it 1

PAO are in a 3 way tie for 5th at the break....they dropped too many points against lower teams which is to be expected when you have very little depth and do not bring in enough quality in the transfers. Foreign bright spots are Perea, Insua and Schenkeveld....disappointments are Mollo (nut case), Fausto and Bech (hard to judge as they have had almost no playing time) and Zahid not having enough of a consistent impact. João Nunes started off in the worst possible way but has made some very respectable appearances recently.

Rumors have Rocha talking with Villareal about Manu Morlanes (21yr old talented midfielder), AEK Larnaca for Nacho Cases (32yr old midfielder). The primary goal should be to resign the youngsters (Athanasakopoulos, Vayianides, etc.) and give them playing time instead of bringing in more dead weight....I mean why didn't Donis simply use Meunier who was still being paid instead of bringing in Mollo....most of the transfer moves don't make sense neither does Donis' man management. Oh and of course there is the perennial rumor of Berg's return (highly unlikely).

Athens Alive is another paramithi that seems to have gone quiet since the elections.....the 762.560 raised so far by PAO Alive is way below the 20 mil DPG stated as the target....ridiculous concept to have fans put up the money so he can take over the team....I feel sorry for the fans who actually buy into this crap and give their money blindly. Money talks and BS walks in these situations so DPG can either put up or shut up, but he should stop screwing with the fans and try to lay responsibilities on them that belong to shareholders, unless he and Alafouzos are willing to sell stakes to whoever contributes money to the team.

On 12/31/2019 at 6:21 AM, athinaios said:

Chugging along.... A mediocre team, with the exception when playing against the big 3.

I'd be happy if they avoided the playouts. Any news about the transfers in Jan? What's going on with DG and Athens Alive?

You definitely want to try and make the play offs for the following reasons :-

1) It’s 10 derbies that can be used to give the younger guys more experience and game time.  At this point it’s all about bleeding in as many young players as possible and hopefully some benefit and become at least squad material.

2) Finances.  5 home derbies can bring in some decent cash.  Anything is better than nothing.  And if by some the team is on a roll and playing some nice ball than all the better to bring in some extra fans to the ground and some extra cash.

As for Athens Alive, as I say to a good friend of mine who is a Panathinaikos tragic, it’s more like Athens Nekros.  The whole thing seems farcical.  Still, hopefully it does happen.

• Like it 2
Posted (edited)

PAO put in another good performance against oly but lost the derby on referees decisions and 1 defensive lapse. A couple of non calls by the ref gave the 3 points to oly in what should have been at best a tie. It's still good to see PAO come up with big performances in the derbies but they need to get maximum points against the bottom 2/3 of the league otherwise we will be playing with fire as things are pretty tight in the standings from 4th down to 11th.

Edited by AchillesHeel
  • Like it 1
  • 3 weeks later...

First of 3 big games vs PAOK coming up....the team has reached form at the right time. PAOK's roster may be better but PAO have been showing a lot of energy, determination and cohesiveness of late....should be a good match.

It was a big showing by PAO today as the team beat PAOK 2-0. Solid defense, excellent transition game and energy from start to finish. I thought PAOK would have come out guns blazing in response to the recent events but instead seemed content getting stuck in 1st gear while PAO was flying. The whole team really came up big with Xatziovanni, Insua, Schekenveld and Macheda standing out in particular. The first time in 69 games that PAOK were kept off the score sheet....an interesting prelude to the cup games coming up.

• Like it 1

Well deserved win for Panathinaikos. PAOK did  not show up for the game. The cup games will be a different matter, but I think Panathinaikos will prevail as they are in better form.

• Like it 2

^^^^Not so sure about that as PAOK has much more depth and options to make tactical changes compared to PAO. If Ferreira can come up with a strategy (which I don't think he did today) and implement it you have the quality to win whereas if PAOK show up like today with out any real game plan, they're not going to do well against any of the better teams. You need more speed in the midfield and you really missed Crespo today at the back.

I am watching the replay tonight. Big win for us, I heard we (AEK) were pretty poor in the second half whilst others say were ok so wanna see for myself

• Like it 1
  • 3 weeks later...