Jump to content
Phantis Forums

2019-2020 Superleague


Recommended Posts

During a Superleague meeting (vie Skype/Zoom) it was decided to postpone a decision on the resumption of 2019-2020 season until April 24. PAE Panathinaikos  proposed to call the season over. PAOK agreed in principle under certain conditions (resolution of the PAOK/Xanthi issue, etc.). Other teams agreed under the condition to increase the next season to 16 team without anybody being relegated. Olympiakos wants to end the season, but only if a champion is declared via vote.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just too early to decide anything and that applies to all the leagues in Europe including UEFA.  The only decision really will be whether leagues will resume (eventually once this is over) or whether they will start the next season.  I thought that given that the leagues were 3/4 completed they would just declare each team that is on top as winners and leave it at that but now I'm not so sure.  It's just a guessing game at this stage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Belgium has cancelled it's season and declared Club Brugge Champions. I think they are handing out European spots based on the current table. They are the first domino to fall regarding European football, I know some leagues are hell bent on finishing the season (Premier league) due to the huge $ involved in TV contracts.

For what it's worth this thing has gone way beyond football the first few weeks of it I wanted football to come back (I'm a Liverpool fan so naturally I want to see the reds lift the trophy properly, and of course watch PAOK potentially get a 4-peat in the Cup) I would have no problem with them declaring this season done and awarding the Championship and European places based on current standings. No Cup winner this year. It is obviously an extremely unusual and complicated situation that none of us have ever seen before so who knows what happens. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be cancelled with no Champion and European spots being given on current standing or standing from the previous season. Why would you award the trophy to somebody who could mathematically still lose it?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm saying I have no problem with it. These are unprecedented times and it's honestly not going to bother me that we weren't given the chance to run Olympiacos down, I don't think we would be able to anyway. There is no right or wrong here, I'm just saying if that is what happens I won't be one of the fans saying they didn't deserve the title or PAOK was robbed of a chance to reel in their lead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

During a Superleague meeting (vie Skype/Zoom) it was decided to postpone a decision on the resumption of 2019-2020 season until April 24. PAE Panathinaikos  proposed to call the season over. PAOK agreed in principle under certain conditions (resolution of the PAOK/Xanthi issue, etc.). Other teams agreed under the condition to increase the next season to 16 team without anybody being relegated. Olympiakos wants to end the season, but only if a champion is declared via vote.    

16 teams ha ha ha , they need to stop dreaming. It sounds like some teams owners are trying to their friend's team in and they also find the prospect of an competitive league threatening (bigger chances of being relegated, "απλός θέλουν να βολευτούνε", without feeling the pressure of having to invest in their team in order to stay relevant).

Nova seems to want to drop the teams to 12 which I support (hell maybe even dropping the teams to 10 would be better), perhaps we can play 4 rounds of football instead of the weird playoff system.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bananas said:

It's just too early to decide anything and that applies to all the leagues in Europe including UEFA.  The only decision really will be whether leagues will resume (eventually once this is over) or whether they will start the next season.  I thought that given that the leagues were 3/4 completed they would just declare each team that is on top as winners and leave it at that but now I'm not so sure.  It's just a guessing game at this stage.

On the plus side, since when does anyone in Greece make cutting-edge, timely decisions? We'll learn the results of all this some time in May (of 2021).

Link to post
Share on other sites

NOVA should not even be in the business televising football games given their clear affiliation with certain teams and biased coverage. They should not be the ones placing demands on how to run the league.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They too want the league to be more profitable so that their own business doesn't go down the drain.

 16 teams makes sense? It doesn't, most of our league is pure trash. We don't need more trash teams we need less, and more matches between the top teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Current format worked well, shame we couldn't see the play offs, not gona make a massive difference 14 or 16 teams in this format 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sixteen teams and no playoffs is a good format. Otherwise make it 12 teams with four rounds of football. Stop this playoff nonsense.

  • Like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alphonse said:

Current format worked well, shame we couldn't see the play offs, not gona make a massive difference 14 or 16 teams in this format 

 
I too am a fan of this system. The only issue I have, as I've mentioned before is that it dilutes the derbies.

I feel like initially people were opposed to it because the word play-offs implies something to similar to the old play-offs we had. But IMO it's the best system for Greece, 16 teams is too many. Crowds are far too small our teams simply aren't strong enough to carry 16 or more teams in the Superleague in the long term

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would’ve liked to have seen the play offs this season.  Like most, initially I though what a terrible idea but in Greece apart from the top 5 or 6 teams there is no substantial fan base.  10 weeks of big games week after week definitely sounded interesting.

Either way I’m not fussed so long as we don’t have that brain dead system we had a couple of seasons ago.

  • Like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...