Jump to content
Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Greece vs Armenia (11 June 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)


Recommended Posts

EPO took a risk on a journey man of a coach who tactically wasn't up to the level 4-5 years ago when he was at the helm at PAOK. He has a history of clashing with personalities and it's happened again. He has to go, even if EPO back him in and leave Sokratis and Manolas out he's lost the dressing room now. Those players are huge in the dressing rooms, they have all their teammates ears. 

Sacking him won't help us qualify though, it's just about done. Need a minor miracle from here. Who ever comes in must be someone who is respected by the players and won't lose them at the first hurdle (easier said than done) Not like there's going to be a cue of quality coaches waiting to take over this job. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife is Portuguese. My father in law explained to me what happened to portugal.  They never qualified. In World Cup 66 they finally made it and finished 3rd. Then they never qualified till Eur

This might be my interpretation but I’m reading between the lines here. Something is very wrong internally and you can see it manifest in the game itself.  Socrates is actually being very brave, he se

Football has changed. You can no longer just sit deep and counter those days are gone. Teams like Armenia press high up the pitch and make it hard for you to move the ball from the back. How many turn

3 hours ago, tantra129 said:

Ask fourtounis. Siovas and samaris.  

 

Samaris has no business on this team. 

Samaris is the main problem, once again today I cringed as I watched him cheaply give the ball away and make so many bad passes and decisions with the ball. He has been so awful the last three matches.

  • Like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, paokarag4 said:

EPO took a risk on a journey man of a coach who tactically wasn't up to the level 4-5 years ago when he was at the helm at PAOK. He has a history of clashing with personalities and it's happened again. He has to go, even if EPO back him in and leave Sokratis and Manolas out he's lost the dressing room now. Those players are huge in the dressing rooms, they have all their teammates ears. 

Sacking him won't help us qualify though, it's just about done. Need a minor miracle from here. Who ever comes in must be someone who is respected by the players and won't lose them at the first hurdle (easier said than done) Not like there's going to be a cue of quality coaches waiting to take over this job. 

The players have to take the majority of the blame for always starting of sluggish and gifting away early goals. Overall we dominated with 17 shots and 70% possession in the end we were unlucky to not equalize and Armenia had some luck on there side on the third goal the ball is smashed of the post and it falls directly to Barsegyhan who is surrounded by 5 Greek players and he puts it away.

This is hard take and it’s an uphill climb but on paper our team is better than Finland, Bosnia and Armenia. If they can start off better and cut out the sloppy play than we should beat Finland in September. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, J1078 said:

Wow... Finally Socrates comes out and says it how it is.. He pretty much is telling everyone he doesn't believe in this team.

 

 

 

 

Things are getting out of hand, Sokratis and Manolas have told the EPO to fire Ange as they are angry about Torosidis being left of the squad. This is a contributing factor to the results this past week, the players who are there should focus on getting results and not who didn’t get a call up. For God sakes we are trying to qualify for a Euro, this is the most important thing for the team and the country. 

  • Like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The results speak for themselves. We’ve conceded 9 and scored 0 first half goals in 4 matches.

If he stays and Soc, Manolas and Torosidis leave we will be Pot 5/6 team by the time WC qualifiers start.

Not starting Manolas, leaving Torosidis out, changing goalies like he’s changing shirts. Lol. Instability is off the scale. 

The coach has to be shown the door.

  • Like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Toro not being included was the defining factor, I think it just added to it. It's very obvious he isn't a good coach, and the players must realize that. Even if epo is dictating who he calls up, he's still the one choosing the line ups and subs. But after the whole skibbe debacle, I'm sure the epo wanted someone to take some control and turn the ship around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kbxk508 said:

The results speak for themselves. We’ve conceded 9 and scored 0 first half goals in 4 matches.

If he stays and Soc, Manolas and Torosidis leave we will be Pot 5/6 team by the time WC qualifiers start.

Not starting Manolas, leaving Torosidis out, changing goalies like he’s changing shirts. Lol. Instability is off the scale. 

The coach has to be shown the door.

? ? ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sokratis's saying that we can't make it is loser mentality. Sorry. I'm from kalamata like him so I have a soft spot for him but that's a loser mentality. Not captain material and diva behaviour. He's good in the good times and a baby in the bad times.

We've lost to Albania in qualifiers and some other minnows before. You gotta have a never say die attitude. 

This shows one of the main problems with the NT. The psychology is off. The talent is there because we're clearly better than Armenia. We're . underperforming. Team should invest in sports psychologists and some Tony Robbins seminars, seriously..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LaputanMachine said:

He is 80 years old now.  He is retired for years now. Let the man live in peace.

He did enough for us!

If he has to be dragged out propped up by a zimmer frame, I don't care!

 

What better than a nearly dead man resurrecting us! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget these old school coaches we need a younger guy that values skill and will look and play our most skill players, a coach that can build a current and modern system soccer has changed from the years of Otto. Our biggest problem to address is our midfield if we can’t fix that we will never be competitive it’s our biggest downfall.. 

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Socratis and Manolas play for major clubs and are professionals. For them to lose it and say what they have been saying tells you things are bad. If the coach has a negative effect it will affect the player's morale and mentality. EPO is the problem there is a lot of backdoor deals with player selections and there unwillingness to invest in youth development of players etc. That's why you see Croatia produce top players and we do not, it starts at the top. 

With that being said we are more talented squad than Armenia lets not get delusional here... the score reflected the lack of organization on this team and toxic culture. For things to change it has to start at an EPO level down and when they don't qualify for tournaments and lose out on money maybe they will care. I still remember when Amanatidis quit the team way back for the same reasons... it's not because the players are pre maddonas there is deep corruption here nobody wants to talk about and no coach will fix that... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can Greece get some players with some speed!

It's okay to have a slower team if they have good ball possession and passing skills but Greece lacks in this area compared to other teams for reasons that should have it's own thread.

So, if you don't have skill then at least have speed. The Italians were running by Greek players even when they had the ball. 

USA years ago didn't have a good soccer team but the coach decided to add speed to it's team and it became decent in a short period of time. I recall them adding a player called Coby Jones who was a track star converted to soccer. Just kick the ball down the wing and he chased it down. Great soccer ….no, but it's a lot better than doing nothing. 

Add some speed and then see what fast players can have or improve on the skill play. 

Greece has produced some great basketball players lately and some tennis players. Why is soccer falling  behind?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, J1078 said:

Forget these old school coaches we need a younger guy that values skill and will look and play our most skill players, a coach that can build a current and modern system soccer has changed from the years of Otto. Our biggest problem to address is our midfield if we can’t fix that we will never be competitive it’s our biggest downfall.. 

Maybe that will help but the EPO brought in Skibbe who at the time was in his 40s and was deemed to be a "players coach" and it didn't work out. The EPO should have just gone with Ange Postecoglou before hiring Anastasiadis. 

Anyways no matter who the coach Greece at home should be beating Armenia. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

The players have to take the majority of the blame for always starting of sluggish and gifting away early goals. Overall we dominated with 17 shots and 70% possession in the end we were unlucky to not equalize and Armenia had some luck on there side on the third goal the ball is smashed of the post and it falls directly to Barsegyhan who is surrounded by 5 Greek players and he puts it away.

This is hard take and it’s an uphill climb but on paper our team is better than Finland, Bosnia and Armenia. If they can start off better and cut out the sloppy play than we should beat Finland in September. 

Your Dreaming if you think we will beat Finland away. Lol  

Our next game, Finland will put us to the sword and claim 2nd place. There's no hope for us now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You make it sound as if I said we are going to Italy. It's Finland re.. If our team is focused and we have our key players we will win it won't be easy but will do it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

If Socrates doesn’t wanna play then good riddance. Who cares. Get someone who wants to play. I’d rather see them lose with heart than watch a guy who doesn’t wanna be there. 

Have to admit, don’t like what he is saying and not the mentality needed right now. Yeah we have been bad, but the leader been so negative is not good

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

You can't lay the blame on Angelo for today's fiasco....just as you couldn't blame Ranieri for the Faroes defeat. Come on, they're playing Armenia and you guys think that tactics and selections made the difference? I'm not saying he isn't an idiot but today's loss is due to the players lacking pride and self-respect. Italy was one thing....today something else entirely. He put Koutris in Staf's place, Zeca in the midfield, started Koulouris and Pelkas and benched Bakasetas and the [email protected]@kes still lost....do you think in 10 days training he's gonna teach them "balla" or do you think that Sokratis, Samaris, Siovas, Manolas, Zeca, etc need to be told how to mark and defend? The responsibility lays squarely on the players and if they have any pride they'll bust their a$$es and qualify....nothing less will do.

Correct, well said

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...