Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Greece vs Armenia (11 June 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)

4 minutes ago, CincinnatiAek said:

There need to be some firings/resignations after that debacle. 

The sad part is that we are beyond saving. No firing/resignations will help this team. The Greek NT as we know it is dead. We are back to the dark ages and this will take years to bounce back from, if ever. 

• Like it 1

I liked the fight at the end nearly tied it at 3-3 with sokratis cross bar header. We're not dark ages but we're a team that battles for that last qualifier spot. We also were missing two of our best attackers in Mitroglou and Donis. Torosidis out is also a loss. We can still do this. If we came back against Bosnia away then we can win every game. The Italy game is the only game on paper we should lose.

Bosnia took a massive blow by us and we still have to face Finland. Finland had our number in nations league though so that's the key match up.

I'm less optimistic about the NT though for sure finally. 

• Like it 1

That was a very exciting game, for neutral fans, I guess, but not to us. I mean those Vlachodimos saves at the end, the Koulouris header, and his shot.

Vlachodimos: conceded three, then made some saves - not unlike Barkas on Saturday (2 out of 5)

Mavrias: unreliable as usual (-)

Siovas: he was better than against Italy - that doesnt mean much (2)

Papastathopoulos: was shaky (2)

Koutris: better than Staf, but again, we conceded three (2)

Samaris: what was this again (1.5)

Fortounis: he is a god, his goal was great, he tried and tried, its a damn shame he has such crappy teammates (4)

Zeca: he scored our first goal, was among our better performers (3.5)

Masouras: he really tries but has not any particular skills (2.5)

Koulouris: thats why he is on the bench when Mitroglou isnt injured (2)

Pelkas: a better choice than Bakasetas would have been but then, everybody is (2)

Subs: Kotsiras looked incredibly slow and vulnerable, even worse than Mavrias (1.5), Kolovos was nearly invisible (2), Siopis was unlucky (-) (that was a great change though - after it was 1-3, we subbed on a player who scored ONE friggin competitive goal during his entire professional career and he is twenty-five).

Our spirit was great but we always concede a lot of goals. The result is a disaster. I guess this was the last game of Anastasiadis. We were not that lukewarm and weak under his tenure as we had been with Skibbe at the helm, but the team was somehow sloppy. We looked lively and even tried to play some attractive attacking football, but without any proper results.

Lol ? welcome to the dark ages again. I know I have been there with this team. 

There is no way no we are qualifying. We are 5 pts behind Finland with a 6 goal average. Armenia is team we are supposed to get 6 pts from?? Wtf. 

The stadium was empty ???

our next game is away to Finland. They will put us to the sword. We are never going to catch 2nd place. 

We had a perfect opportunity in the nations cup to secure a playoff spot, from the 3rd division of Europe Former Euro champs and we couldn't do that. Lmfao??

some of you think we will qualify? Give me the drugs your on. I want to be in make believe land too. Lol ? 

the writing was on the wall when we didn't qualify for Germany as European champs. Then in 2016 even teams from the 3rd place qualified. We couldn't. 

Its over. We will not qualify again unless drastic house cleaning in the federation and money put in to youth development. 

It's over. Don't even try to believe we will qualify. Lol losing to Armenia. Who the F*** loses to Armenia ???

2 minutes ago, gsots said:

Is this clown fired yet? Anyone seen an update yet? 

Settle down. If he gets fired what then? We will probably get an even worse coach. The EPO don’t care. They haven’t got money to spend. If they did we would’ve qualified in major tournaments the last 4 years. We will not see change. I’ve said this since I’ve  been a fan the call ups are what kill this team.

2 minutes ago, Torontoblue said:

Lol ? welcome to the dark ages again. I know I have been there with this team. 

There is no way no we are qualifying. We are 5 pts behind Finland with a 6 goal average. Armenia is team we are supposed to get 6 pts from?? Wtf. 

The stadium was empty ???

our next game is away to Finland. They will put us to the sword. We are never going to catch 2nd place. 

We had a perfect opportunity in the nations cup to secure a playoff spot, from the 3rd division of Europe Former Euro champs and we couldn't do that. Lmfao??

some of you think we will qualify? Give me the drugs your on. I want to be in make believe land too. Lol ? 

the writing was on the wall when we didn't qualify for Germany as European champs. Then in 2016 even teams from the 3rd place qualified. We couldn't. 

Its over. We will not qualify again unless drastic house cleaning in the federation and money put in to youth development. 

It's over. Don't even try to believe we will qualify. Lol losing to Armenia. Who the F*** loses to Armenia ???

Putting money in youth developments can happen, but will it. Our players are not good enough on the ball. At least play players that have real ability and can control the ball well and play good football with each other.

5 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

Settle down. If he gets fired what then? We will probably get an even worse coach. The EPO don’t care. They haven’t got money to spend. If they did we would’ve qualified in major tournaments the last 4 years. We will not see change. I’ve said this since I’ve  been a fan the call ups are what kill this team.

I can't watch these starting line ups and ridiculous subs anymore. He might not have full say in call ups, but he's got say in who he starts and where. He's not a good coach. Epo better get their act together and find some money

Just now, gsots said:

I can't watch these starting line ups and ridiculous subs anymore. He might not have full say in call ups, but he's got say in who he starts and where. He's not a good coach. Epo better get their act together and find some money

I agree. The Greek league itself is in shambles. Where did all the money go from 2004-2014? What did they use it on? If we can get the call ups right then we would have any issues with who starts. But I feel we won’t ever get the right call ups.

7 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

I would’ve kept Santos.

He led Portugal to the EURO 2016 championship, 4th place finish in the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup, and the latest, the 2019 UEFA Nations League Cup. 

Our midfield needs an revamp. There is simply not enough skilful players out there, can't move as a unit and pass and move, Armenia made us look like idiots when they attacked, as did Italy and Turkey cause we would do silly passes and then lose possession + chase whilst opposition holds, moves passes when they need to, we have to be the easiest team to defend again as its so predictable and silly what we try do in attack, Only Fortounis has these marks to make it work but he has no support. Samaris for example, very poor player that does not help.

• Like it 1

Otto started making weird selections before he stopped being our coach. Like Charisteas on the wing. Euro 2004 had a lot of things going for it. Lotsa in form players playing in top leagues.

• Like it 1

42 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

I agree. The Greek league itself is in shambles. Where did all the money go from 2004-2014? What did they use it on? If we can get the call ups right then we would have any issues with who starts. But I feel we won’t ever get the right call ups.

The money went into the fat cats pockets at the federation. 

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic