Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Greece Vs. Italy (8 June 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Argy

4 hours ago, Omonoia9 said:

I had to cover the Cyprus game for Agonasport and unfortunately it was at exactly the same time. I guess Barkas was in net because Vlachodimos was bad last time, and Paschalakis was in goal for the friendly loss in Turkey. How do you get blown away by Italy, though? Losing to Italy, no shame in that, but they don't even blow like Luxembourg away. No pride in the ethniki anymore? How was OAKA? Was it another 5,000 people in a 70,000 seat stadium type deal?

25k telika,

We gave Italy all the room in the world to do what they want, we couldn't hold the ball for more than 30 seconds and when we did we went back backwards, we were really really bad. A team of CB's and DCM's - once pressed couldn't do much, not good enough at international level

What's even more disappointing is the 2 week camp that happened in preparation for this, what did they do?? Was there a plan? How can there be a plan when we have been demolished now by Turkey and Italy, both games if not for Barkas and Paschalakis could have been 4/5 goals against and F*** all in attack, no midfield. The makeshift player thing needs to stop ASAP!!!!

3 hours ago, nick said:

Its not an exaggeration to say that our midfielders lack of skill on the ball is literally maybe the worst ever from a Greek NT. The hope to qualify is almost at zero

This is in fact very very true!! I have never seen it so bad, the 94 team that travelled to the USA would put 3-4 past this mob. 

I posted before some months ago, we need to start looking at skilled players, you saw today and I saw it in other games, Turkish game for example, opposition is pressing is and we have to play it back to the goalkeeper as the current mob cant take a player on or have any vision to pass it out, Samaris and Kourbelis just can't do it, Zeca does and so does Bouchalakis but we also need skill across the field, Fetfa can do it for example, the guys in Holland like Lamprou also, speed and skill, some of the  better younger PAO guys,  Christodoulopoulos would have been some help today, Stafylidis, no right wing... horrible stuff, yes Torosidis would have been good today, as would Koutris who is much better than gameless Stafylidis.

What good is playing all these defensive players when we keep eating so many goals! Best defense is a good offense, enough with these crap tactics NOT TO LOSE - not working

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Fortounis delays our attack.

I think the criticism of Fortounis is very harsh tbh. Whilst he is no Ronaldo and can do some things better, he was set  up to fail today by Anastasiadis. You can not expect Fortounis to do it all on his own!!! He has no support, no one up ahead and only Masouras from time to time on his wing, this is against a team like Italy.. . He took them on and did what he could with no one helping him, I will cut the guy some slack, Ange is to blame for this with Kosta

Grass roots issue in Greece. Croatia small country bit produces talent and ships them out to bigger leagues. Greece is not professional in its domestic leagues... the fact PAOK dominated this year tells you a story...

Its almost embarrasing how the Greek super league recruits and develops players. Olympiakos signs Valbuena and potentially Vermaelen. Maybe that helps them win the Greek league but its not going to do anything when it comes to making some noise in Europe or developing young players. Paoks in the same situation but its not going to change until clubs can be profitable and hooliganism is destroyed. The rest of the World are 20 years ahead of Greece in football in not only tactics but marketability of the game altogether. I get countries like England, Germany, France and Italy being ahead of Greece but there is no reason Greece can't and shouldn't emulate Portugals league and business model. 

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, Alphonse said:

I think the criticism of Fortounis is very harsh tbh. Whilst he is no Ronaldo and can do some things better, he was set  up to fail today by Anastasiadis. You can not expect Fortounis to do it all on his own!!! He has no support, no one up ahead and only Masouras from time to time on his wing, this is against a team like Italy.. . He took them on and did what he could with no one helping him, I will cut the guy some slack, Ange is to blame for this with Kosta

That’s true but I don’t like the way he conducts himself. Sometimes it looks like he dosent want to be there. He preserves his energy when his energy should be up to standards and it’s not. Fortounis throws his arms in the air and gives up. I don’t like that.

Many good points stated. I'll add one thing, all you fifa warriors who scream and cry for 5 at the back, we've seen the result across two games. We don't have wing backs and midfielders to play this system, just because we have 3 good center backs doesn't mean we should shoe horn them all into the same 11. The system and tactics were clearly wrong. 

I'll just clarify too, those saying we need a big win against Armenia are wrong. UEFA competitions has always used head to head record as their main tie-breaker. So we could have lost 10-0 to Italy and it wouldn't really matter unless we end up tied for points with them.

Beat Armenia with half a goal who cares, just win. I live in constant fear of a player mutiny especially after a result like that and if that's the case they roll over in the game against Armenia and bye-bye Euro 2020

• Like it 1

11 minutes ago, paokarag4 said:

Many good points stated. I'll add one thing, all you fifa warriors who scream and cry for 5 at the back, we've seen the result across two games. We don't have wing backs and midfielders to play this system, just because we have 3 good center backs doesn't mean we should shoe horn them all into the same 11. The system and tactics were clearly wrong. 

I'll just clarify too, those saying we need a big win against Armenia are wrong. UEFA competitions has always used head to head record as their main tie-breaker. So we could have lost 10-0 to Italy and it wouldn't really matter unless we end up tied for points with them.

Beat Armenia with half a goal who cares, just win. I live in constant fear of a player mutiny especially after a result like that and if that's the case they roll over in the game against Armenia and bye-bye Euro 2020

Honestly I couldn't tell what they were playing or attempting to play today as their shape was a complete disaster. At times I saw 5 on the line and others I saw 3 with wing back play and even a few times with 4 at the back. You're absolutely right about not having the players for 5 at the back but I would argue we don't have the players for any standard formation as we are clearly lacking a true striker at the moment and a right back (not a lot of confidence in the left back situation either). 

There has to be at least one true  right back in Greece. Even Santos and Rehhagel at times would play a player a level below in their true positions over just plugging and playing a player out of position (Zaradoukas and Platsiakas come to mind). 

Edited by tkarachr606
  • Like it 1

5 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

Losing to Finland, Estonia and Faroe No excuse. Losing to Italy had a simple explanation. They’re better. Plain and simple. 

We looked really bad though. A lot worse than minnows would look against them. 

Hard not to be critical.

This coach needs 45mins and for the team to cop goals in the first half to work out what is needed.

His track record so far is 1 W, 0 D, 3L with 8 goals conceded all in the 1st half in 4 matches.

We dropped 2 points in Zeneca.

Sorry if offend anyone, but if we don’t beat Armenia then it’s time to find the next coach for this NT.

• Like it 1

No player owns the jersey, everyone can lose their positions in my view. Conceding 3 goals in suc a short space of time is rediculous.

Made Italy look like Germany or Netherlands.

They must change things up with energy and speed in key areas, in the mids. I would go 4 2 3 1 and with this lineup asap:

Vlahodimos

Sok           Manolas             Siovas            Koutris

Siopis             Zeca

Lamprou            Pelkas             (Donis) Masouras

Darmishaj/Koulouris

Sok doesn't own a CB position, even though he plays epl Arsenal. As for that, they recently lost 4-1 to Chelsea for the record.

Fortounis again too slow to threaten, time and time again...upmarket Bakasetas.

6 hours ago, Alphonse said:

25k telika,

We gave Italy all the room in the world to do what they want, we couldn't hold the ball for more than 30 seconds and when we did we went back backwards, we were really really bad. A team of CB's and DCM's - once pressed couldn't do much, not good enough at international level

What's even more disappointing is the 2 week camp that happened in preparation for this, what did they do?? Was there a plan? How can there be a plan when we have been demolished now by Turkey and Italy, both games if not for Barkas and Paschalakis could have been 4/5 goals against and F*** all in attack, no midfield. The makeshift player thing needs to stop ASAP!!!!

Even 25K is probably not enough at a place like OAKA. Karaiskaki was perfect.

44 minutes ago, Omonoia9 said:

Even 25K is probably not enough at a place like OAKA. Karaiskaki was perfect.

I cannot believe there are people who still insist on playing games in that stadium. The NT should play their games in Crete (they produced an excellent atmosphere when we played there in 2007). If not Crete then they should at least play the games in different stadiums like the German NT does.

I am reading people saying that Greece never improves or works on talent etc. We all know that Greece should have built upon the success in 2004 but nothing happened. God knows where the money went. The fact is that nothing works in Greece except for the beaches and tavernas. Everything else is a joke.

10 hours ago, Torontoblue said:

Wow just saw that Turkey beat France ?

Turkey has 9 pts from 3 games. Wow 

They are winners , with a winner mentality.

We, on the other hand, have a big loser mentality.

Heads down, and no passion. That's what I'd criticize the most.

9 hours ago, Makynia said:

Why not Bouchalakis instead of Kourbelis? Kourbelis hasnt looked too good last two gms.

Bouchalakis never looked good, and we always lose when he plays.

4 hours ago, ausgreek said:

Sok doesn't own a CB position, even though he plays epl Arsenal. As for that, they recently lost 4-1 to Chelsea for the record.

Sokratis should definitely start. Manolas and Siovas were not even better against Italy.

In fact, Manolas and Siovas were terrible.

Edited by LaputanMachine

1 hour ago, LaputanMachine said:

Bouchalakis never looked good, and we always lose when he plays.

Sokratis should definitely start. Manolas and Siovas were not even better against Italy.

In fact, Manolas and Siovas were terrible.

Hey Laput..sound like me 15 years ago. anyway, I would of liked to have seen a fit and available Retsos and Mavropanos, start to get phased into this squad. I'm the only guy that thinks Manolas and Sok, these days, are no better than Oikonomou.

Siovas needs to keep away from the RB position.  Toro has not played so, Sok might do something there or, Lykogiannis might be good for the RB position, don't know. I also believe that Lamprou, Limnios and Galanopoulos should come into this squad too and play further up, as well.

Since world cup 2010, Karagounas, Kats and Samaras went, and there have been no dominant players to lead the team since then. Still not a settled lineup, one of the longest rebuilding phases in our history. The Acropolis would not be ready today, if it took that long for the construction company to build it back then. 

Actually pace should be the primary criteria for the mids and front third. Technical ability comes along for the ride. Therefore, a player can thwart or stop opposition players of more ability, with pace.

On another note,I would prefer Taxi to Samaris cause he cannot stamp authority on the pitch. This is not going to improve at 30 years of age. Carlos Santana Zeca shytes all over him, superior class.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

This one really hurts and not the fact that we lost it's how we lost. Again I'm left scratching my head trying to figure what style of play we were trying to play. If we sit back and really think about it if Pjanic doesn't take a red card we are 1 win and 2 losses to start this campaign and the fact that we have conceded 7 goals in our last 3 games in the first half is mind blowing it doesn't even give us a chance. Angelo said from the beginning when he was hired "I don't care about positions a good soccer player can play anywhere" He is staying true to his word and it is now biting us in the ass. Zeca is much more useful in the midfield, Toro should have been called up, Barkas made some big saves but in NO way he should have started this game over the other 2 guys. Once again as bad as the players looked they looked confused and lost as they are not use to playing this system.. I said a couple weeks back that I hope this coach plays guys in there natural position and doesn't start an experimental formation that the players are not accustomed to playing and that's exactly what he did. You can see clearly this crop of players are not meant to just sit back and defend it DOES'NT WORK for them they don't have the mentality to just sit back. You are better off playing 4-2-3-1. Also the fact that we were down 3-0 and the subs that were made were just as concerning to me and made absolutely no sense at all. Why even bother calling Kolouris up anymore the only guy on this roster with any scoring pedigree but yet is never used is mind boggling. I think this defeat may have done a lot of damage to the players psyche and made them lose any positive feeling they had for this team after the Bosnia come back. This next game on Tuesday may turn out to be the end of our qualifiers....

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, ausgreek said:

Hey Laput..sound like me 15 years ago. anyway, I would of liked to have seen a fit and available Retsos and Mavropanos, start to get phased into this squad. I'm the only guy that thinks Manolas and Sok, these days, are no better than Oikonomou.

Siovas needs to keep away from the RB position.  Toro has not played so, Sok might do something there or, Lykogiannis might be good for the RB position, don't know. I also believe that Lamprou, Limnios and Galanopoulos should come into this squad too and play further up, as well.

Since world cup 2010, Karagounas, Kats and Samaras went, and there have been no dominant players to lead the team since then. Still not a settled lineup, one of the longest rebuilding phases in our history. The Acropolis would not be ready today, if it took that long for the construction company to build it back then. 

Actually pace should be the primary criteria for the mids and front third. Technical ability comes along for the ride. Therefore, a player can thwart or stop opposition players of more ability, with pace.

On another note,I would prefer Taxi to Samaris cause he cannot stamp authority on the pitch. This is not going to improve at 30 years of age. Carlos Santana Zeca shytes all over him, superior class.

There is a reason Manolas and Sokratis are playing in way better teams than Oikonomou. They are far better players, who had some terrible games lately. And only they are to blame for that. But only punishing Sokratis would not be wise. Manolas and Siovas were not better at all. All of our other decent options are injured right now.

Oikonomou, Kourbelis, etc should not be near the Ethniki.

If we lose with our best players, we'll lose with our worst. We shouldn't leave out our best players, even if we get smashed. 

The worst problem is our midfield, and it doesn't look too promising for the future either. There really isn't anyone playing at a higher level right now.

You are right we lack leadership, and our midfield lacks any kind of pace. And it won't get better.

It's a shame Kyriakos Papadopoulos is so injury prone. He'd be our leader by now. But that's not possible now.

You guys should read this.. So true... This guy rips the coach...Every outlet and reporter is blaming the coach for yesterdays loss and with good reason. Have read and see how many players were playing in a positions they are not use too and this is a trend with this coach as he said when he first got hired he doesn't care about positions.

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/podosfairo/prokrimatika euro/bombes-kougia-gia-anastasiadi-na-fugei-to-mapet-soou-twn-sudaksiouxwn-apo-tin-ethniki/3988496

• Like it 1
  • Haha 1

^J1078, agree 100%.

I read that article, good read. Sums up current feelings.

What is most concerning is the mentality of the players going into the Armenia match. Can't be great. Some would be thinking can't wait for this to be over so I can start my holidays. Coach talks about self belief and we are team and individuals don't matter and positions don't matter and blah, blah, blah. Player get belief when team gets results.

Edited by kbxk508
  • Like it 1

8 minutes ago, J1078 said:

You guys should read this.. So true... This guy rips the coach...Every outlet and reporter is blaming the coach for yesterdays loss and with good reason. Have read and see how many players were playing in a positions they are not use too and this is a trend with this coach as he said when he first got hired he doesn't care about positions.

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/podosfairo/prokrimatika euro/bombes-kougia-gia-anastasiadi-na-fugei-to-mapet-soou-twn-sudaksiouxwn-apo-tin-ethniki/3988496

I do blame the coach, too.

But we should also blame our best players, who are supposed to lead this team and show at least some passion (Manolas, Sokratis, Samaris, Siovas).

But Kougias is an a**hole. Always has been, always will be.

Edited by LaputanMachine
  • Thanks 1

The first 20 minutes, the defense was great.  I was wondering why Italy kept playing long balls in,  they couldn't penetrate.  After that goal, they folded.  Gave up the goal on the counter and it was over.  The missed penalty goal didn't help and then it was 3-0.  Could have been 5-0. Either way, we didn't look good.  I believe we need to establish a formation and get everyone used to.  We are not at the class of Italy but come on. 

7 hours ago, ausgreek said:

No player owns the jersey, everyone can lose their positions in my view. Conceding 3 goals in suc a short space of time is rediculous.

Made Italy look like Germany or Netherlands.

They must change things up with energy and speed in key areas, in the mids. I would go 4 2 3 1 and with this lineup asap:

Vlahodimos

Sok           Manolas             Siovas            Koutris

Siopis             Zeca

Lamprou            Pelkas             (Donis) Masouras

Darmishaj/Koulouris

I like that line up a lot! Full of energy and better CMs. Alphonse touched on point and said that we need midfielders who can brake on players in the middle and have the vision to play it out. This is so important as other countries are have this. Samaris and Fortounis are slow and don’t work hard enough. Hopefully with a new coach soon he will understand what needs to be done. 

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic