Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Greece Vs. Italy (8 June 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Argy

10 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

Personally I would pencil in Pelkas instead of Fortounis simply because of his speed up the middle (not on the wings). It would be a big help in keeping the Italian defense honest and speed up the transition especially if Donis is able to start. Fortounis tends to disappear when playing solid teams....sub him in later if needed when his lack of fitness will be on par with the players who have already put in 60-70 minutes of playing time.

This is what I believe also. Fortounis disappears against good opposition. We just have to wait and see. 

Donis should be fine. I believe we will see a 4-2-3-1. We saw it against Turkey. So he wouldn’t make drastic changes now. 

My opinion what we will see:

Vlachodimos 

Sokratis Manolas Siovas Koutris 

Zeca Samaris

Pelkas Fortounis Kolovos 

Koulouris

I have a feeling this will happen. Should it happen? No. We need to have our best players playing so I would suggest we play 3-4-2-1. But that’s too drastic for now as it should of already happened. 

Kourbelis should start over Samaris. I would trust Kotsiras. He seems strong enough and is tall so he can clear headers out of our box. Also doesn’t seem to get beaten easily. If someone could back me up on him because I haven’t seen him play that much.

• Like it 1

8 hours ago, nick said:

Have any lineup reports come out?? Also are any other news outlets saying anything different about donis?

No projected line-ups at this stage, like in the first 2 qualifiers Anastasiadis keeps his cards close to his chest and what ends up being projected is a guess. I heard on radio today it will be a 3-5-2 with Zeca at wing back (I've already expressed my thoughts on that) But it's all a guessing game at this stage. 

Donis has to train today to be a chance to start, I'm sure Anastasiadis will be asked about it in his press conference later on as well. Donis out will be a huge blow, goes without saying. 

EDIT: Donis confirmed out of BOTH qualifiers with an injury, massive out, Fortounis is going to need to have a huge game if we're going to threaten grabbing a goal on the counter 

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ellada/ethniki_elladas/ethnikh-elladas-thlash-o-dwnhs-oristika-nok-aoyt-me-italia-kai-armenia.5531640.html

Edited by paokarag4

20 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Terrible Lineup.
Sokratis at 34 as a RB sounds like an invitation for wingers to dribble . Mavrias who? Kolovos who?

5 in the back bro ? There is a big difference to 3 or 5. You put some pace babbies on the wings to make sure the wingers don't have free space. Although I agree, I'd rather go 4-5-1 than anything else.

Greatest lineup since euro 2004 tbh..

We should definitely consider Sokratis at RB. This guy plays at a high level for years now. 

Can't trust the likes of Mavrias & Kotsiras to do the job. I mean we are talking about players from the 6th placed team of Cyprus and the 11the placed team of Greece.

This is Italy we are playing. 

Anyway, a draw would be HUGE for us. If we lose we just have to hope Bosnia loses as well against them.

2 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Your kidding me...

I was hoping it was nothing. What are we going to do now? He was our only hope for some speed.

Hopefully Kolovos and not Mantalos or Bakasetas out wide, im sure Masouras will be on the other side 

4 minutes ago, Alphonse said:

Hopefully Kolovos and not Mantalos or Bakasetas out wide, im sure Masouras will be on the other side 

Best thing to do now is to have Masouras and Kolovos on the wings. Donis would’ve  provided that spark to burst through with speed. I don’t know who else we have to do that. Probably Pelkas.

5 minutes ago, J1078 said:

WTF can we not have a healthy line just once in a meaningful game... Donis has been out more times then he has played for us due to injury... HUGE BLOW....

I was thinking how we have somewhat  a full squad with no injuries and now he is out. Unbelievable I was optimistic because of how his speed could get us out of trouble. We are going to have it harder now .

• Like it 1

This is nothing short of a disaster. I’d argue that donis is the most important player especially vs Italy where counter attacks will be our key. With injured/out of form mitroglou and now injured donis our only option to gain a point is to button up defensively. 

The other issue now is either pelkas or baksetas will play. This is not looking good at all. We need to call up one of the u-21 wingers 100%

• Like it 1

Honestly, he should just put zeca at rb, that way we know at the very least the right side will be sealed up for us. I'd rather have sok in the middle shutting everything down. I'd even put sok as a dm right in front of siovas and manolas. Then put pelkas or mantalos in the cm a bit behind fortou or... And I can't believe I'm gonna type this, even that fu#k stick bakasetas and maybe he gets off a shot from the top of the box and rips one. 

Tsimikas and staf could both be utilized on the wings, so he's got no excuse to use cms as wingers tomorrow. 

Let's just hope that this coach has an actual grasp of the players he called up, cause if we see just a bunch of dms all over the field like a donkey show again I'm gonna lose all hope. 

43 minutes ago, nick said:

This is nothing short of a disaster. I’d argue that donis is the most important player especially vs Italy where counter attacks will be our key. With injured/out of form mitroglou and now injured donis our only option to gain a point is to button up defensively. 

The other issue now is either pelkas or baksetas will play. This is not looking good at all. We need to call up one of the u-21 wingers 100%

Ya I gotta agree, we should have seen some u-21 wingers by now. Unless they're still playing meaningful games, then I could see why he didn't. Are there important u-21 games go on? 

5 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Best thing to do now is to have Masouras and Kolovos on the wings. Donis would’ve  provided that spark to burst through with speed. I don’t know who else we have to do that. Probably Pelkas.

Lamprou would be a great replacement for Donis. But Angelos seems to ignore him.

2 hours ago, gsots said:

Honestly, he should just put zeca at rb, that way we know at the very least the right side will be sealed up for us.

The exact opposite would happen. Zeca is way too slow for an RB. Guys like Kean, Shaaraway, Insigne, etc would expose him, and have a big party on his side.

Edited by LaputanMachine

5 hours ago, J1078 said:

WTF can we not have a healthy line just once in a meaningful game... Donis has been out more times then he has played for us due to injury... HUGE BLOW....

Dam it he's out!! 

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic