Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Greece Vs. Italy (8 June 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Argy

Bakakis is okay as RB. He has great stamina and decent crossing. We just been blessed with great RB's in Torosidis and Seitaridis over the years.

Left flank looks better though with Staf, Tsimikas, Koutris

hopefully Mitroglou can be there. his strength and ability to score on very few chances like he did against Belgium is invaluable to the NT. 

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

I'd take a draw. the real matches to be won are against finland / bosnia.

will be very interesting how we match up against the italians though. I have always felt that from the teams often in top 10 discussions that they're the ones we can take the most. we have similar playing styles. They have more skill in the attacking third, whereas we have more size/strength in the defensive third.

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, georgelaz said:

Bakakis is okay as RB. He has great stamina and decent crossing. We just been blessed with great RB's in Torosidis and Seitaridis over the years.

Left flank looks better though with Staf, Tsimikas, Koutris

hopefully Mitroglou can be there. his strength and ability to score on very few chances like he did against Belgium is invaluable to the NT. 

Yes Mitroglou brings that element were one decent chance comes his way and he finishes it.. 

1 hour ago, georgelaz said:

I'd take a draw. the real matches to be won are against finland / bosnia.

will be very interesting how we match up against the italians though. I have always felt that from the teams often in top 10 discussions that they're the ones we can take the most. we have similar playing styles. They have more skill in the attacking third, whereas we have more size/strength in the defensive third.

A draw would be a positive result for Greece but the win is possible as we are at home and of we get it puts us in first place. Going to Italy will be hard as they have a great record in qualifiers on Italian soil. 

Greece have to beat Bosnia at home and then take at least 4 points from Finland and that will put us through. 

• Like it 1

On 6/4/2019 at 9:39 AM, Greekaroos said:

————————-Vlachodimos————————

—--—Manolas——Sokratis———-Siovas———

Mavrias—--Samaris——-Zeca——-Stafylidis

——————————Fortounis————————

—————Koulouris——————-Donis———

Surely, there has to be some better option than Mavrias

I don’t understand why Mitroglou isn’t wanted anywhere. Every club team he’s played for, he’s scored consistently. Not internationally though. But still he does score. 

On another note, Go CANADA women!!!

1 hour ago, Jimmyp said:

Surely, there has to be some better option than Mavrias

is Bakakis not available? Should just start him. He's an engine a key player for a competitive AEK. He's no prime Toro or Seitaridis but he's the most in form RB we got and battle proven the past 5 years or so.

25 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

is Bakakis not available? Should just start him. He's an engine a key player for a competitive AEK. He's no prime Toro or Seitaridis but he's the most in form RB we got and battle proven the past 5 years or so.

He is injured. He is not good enough anyway. He makes mistakes in defence and gets beaten easily. Torosidis should start instead even though he is 34. Mavrias is ok but would excel at RWB and not RB. Bakakis would be the same too in my opinion. Defensively they are not good enough for this team but can add something in attack and provide good width. We haven’t got a quality RB. Even at LB with the options we have which is a lot still needs to work but definitely the better side than RB.

IF the new skipper does not play 3 at the back and sacrifices one of Siovas Manolas or Sokratis we are cooked. My opinion..These 3 are our best players and we will need to defend if we want to advance. Why play Mavrias...lets go Anti Santos and play a LB at RB I would play Koutris and Stafylidis. Our 2 holding mids must be able to shield when those 2 bomb up and down the lines Zeca Kourbelis or Samaris must be air tight and they must be able to link to Fortounis ( this weekend is huge for him with EPL rumors swirling).

Up front I am not a fan of Koulouris...I play Donis and Kolovos who is in form

...........................Vlachodimos.....................

.......Manolas.......Socratis.......Siovas.......

Koutris.........Zeca.............Samaris.........Stafylidis

.............................Fortounis...........................

....................Donis................Kolovos/Koulouris........

• Like it 1

Mathematically speaking if we unironically find a way to get a narrow win vs Italy, The fact that pjanic plays vs them could be beneficial. If the Bosnians also take a result (draw would be perfect for us) vs the Italians this would get us miles ahead from both meaning that winning matches vs Minnows would see us enough to qualify.

That's all speculations. For now let's be realistic. 1 goal defeat is an okay result and a draw is a point Bosnia has to fight twice as hard than us to earn.

3 minutes ago, OFIMTL said:

IF the new skipper does not play 3 at the back and sacrifices one of Siovas Manolas or Sokratis we are cooked. My opinion..These 3 are our best players and we will need to defend if we want to advance. Why play Mavrias...lets go Anti Santos and play a LB at RB I would play Koutris and Stafylidis. Our 2 holding mids must be able to shield when those 2 bomb up and down the lines Zeca Kourbelis or Samaris must be air tight and they must be able to link to Fortounis ( this weekend is huge for him with EPL rumors swirling).

Up front I am not a fan of Koulouris...I play Donis and Kolovos who is in form

...........................Vlachodimos.....................

.......Manolas.......Socratis.......Siovas.......

Koutris.........Zeca.............Samaris.........Stafylidis

.............................Fortounis...........................

....................Donis................Kolovos/Koulouris........

Play a wrong foot defender and see the opposite winger just party on his side.

Kotsiras will be there if noone else can.

4 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Play a wrong foot defender and see the opposite winger just party on his side.

Kotsiras will be there if noone else can.

Why not Torosidis did it Rb to LB...I play the more Talented..left foot right foot...just defend well and BE a threat to go down the line...these are our best 2..Kotsiras or Mavrias will get exposed and thats who Mancini will target from minute 1..NO way this game is 2 important to drop..WE play for the 3pts and you put your best 11 on the pitch

Torosidis wan a splendid player and one of the few Greeks who had a successfull career for so long.
He was good at defending in his youth and he had attributes that looked more of a wings midfielder than a defender.
His pace and back tracking was always on point until he reached his limit after 30.
Koutris doesn't have this career yet to make anyone trust him that he will be able to stop an opponent with his week foot.

Also, you are slightly wrong to begin with. Torosidis did it kat anagkh in Roma. He was also used as a Centerback in Bologna.

Patritha

4 2 3 1

Vlahodimos

Sokratis (vc)       Manolas            Siovas            Koutris

Zeca              Kourbelis                       

Mavrias                    Fortounis (c)                   Kolovos

Donis

Cannot play 3 at the back against the kings of hair gel. 

Kolovos is in great form and pips Masouras who is also in good form.

Kourbelis just edges out Bouchalakis to play next to Carlos Santana Zeca.

Koutris just egdes out Staf although not fussed with either starting.             

Edited by ausgreek

14 minutes ago, ausgreek said:

Patritha

4 2 3 1

Vlahodimos

Sokratis (vc)       Manolas            Siovas            Koutris

Zeca              Kourbelis                       

Mavrias                    Fortounis (c)                   Kolovos

Donis

Cannot play 3 at the back against the kings of hair gel. 

Kolovos is in great form and pips Masouras who is also in good form.

Kourbelis just edges out Bouchalakis to play next to Carlos Santana Zeca.

Koutris just egdes out Staf although not fussed with either starting.             

Terrible Lineup.
Sokratis at 34 as a RB sounds like an invitation for wingers to dribble . Mavrias who? Kolovos who?

5 in the back bro ? There is a big difference to 3 or 5. You put some pace babbies on the wings to make sure the wingers don't have free space. Although I agree, I'd rather go 4-5-1 than anything else.

34? You've aged him 4 years , maybe 3 he turns 31 in a few days. 

5 at the back in theory isn't bad considering our personal but it's a massive risk when players aren't used to playing the system. We saw that first hand against Bosnia we couldn't get out of our half of the pitch, we looked extremely open despite having a back line of 5.  IMO to big a risk in such a game. 

Sokratis at right back is defs a risk, but our alternatives don't inspire confidence. I don't know what the correct way is, one thing I'll keep saying until I'm blue in the face is Zeca MUST play in the middle. 

Not sure if I like the 5 at the back we looked completely lost when they tried it during the game against Bosnia, guys were lost and it seems like they were just sitting there and allowing the Bosnians to do what they wanted. We cannot make the same mistakes to start the game against the Italians because if they get the lead we are not coming back.. We want to play smart defence but we also need to be aggressive.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic