Phantis Forums

2019-2020 Pre Season Training News and Games

Dutch Eagle

Huh....you're right, he did wear it. I wonder if that was Pelkas' call. Henrique was on the field at the time but I guess Kace has much, much longer of an involvement with the club.

Must admit, I will always have a soft spot for our little Albanian boy. Too bad he hit his ceiling.

Not yet, but the remaining pre-season games have been finilized:

July   20,  17:00 EEST:  PAOK - Sint Truidense VV    (Minj Stadion, Beringen, Belgium)
July   23,  19:00 EEST:  PAOK - RSC Anderlecht Brussels  (Anderlecht Training Facilities, Brussels, Belgium)
July   27,  16:00 EEST:  PAOK -  Al Taawoun  (Horst, Holland)
July   27,  20:00 EEST:  PAOK - Fortuna Sittard (Fortuna Sitters Stadium, Sittard, Holland)

That Anderlecht game is gonna be a doozy. I'm assuming they will not allow us to watch it, but Ferreira now has a great opportunity to play his strongest possible team there and see where we really stand. Even a draw against them in a friendly will make me feel a LOT better.

Anderlecht is a big name from the old days in European football. But last season Anderlecht did not even qualify for European competition, for the first time since 1961/1962. The result will not tell where we stand. I'm afraid Q3 leg 1 must tell us, as the Arab team is not European level and Fortuna is a club of loanees that needs to be forged to a team once again from scratch.

BTW: Nordsjælland (opponent in our second friendly) started the Danish league with a 0-3 away win.

Apparently Ferreira has decided take almost all the players to the second part of the pre-season training, which will give some players another chance impress the coach. The only absences are apparently the allready cut Deligiannidis, Markovski and Papadopoulos. All this according to SDNA.

If there's even a small chance that we'll sell a winger, he should hold on to these guys until it's obvious what will happen. Though I'm sure he'd prefer to just buy another Braga player

Ferreira has selected these players for the second phase of the preseason:

Πασχαλάκης , Μελίσσας , Ζίβκοβιτς , Μιχάι , Χατζηισαΐας , Βαρέλα , Κρέσπο , Ίνγκασον , Μιχαηλίδης, Μάτος , Ροντρίγκο , Γιαννούλης , Μίσιτς , Κάτσε , Ελ Καντουρί , Τσιγγάρας, Μπίσεσβαρ , Βέρνμπλουμ , Μαουρίσιο , Ντόουγκλας , Ενρίκε , Στοχ , Λάμπρου , Βιεϊρίνια , Ζαμπά , Πέλκας , Λημνιός , Άκπομ , Σφιντέρσκι , Γαϊτανίδης.

The squad will fly to Düsseldorf tomorrow at 10:15 EEST and from there to the trainingcenter in Horst.

So looking at this list of 30 players it is clear that Ferreira is following his formula that he talked about during his press conference.

Ferreira said that he wants

21 - core players
3 - youngsters
3 - goaltenders
---------------------------
3 - injured player (starters)

So basically players will be cut from the squad only when we sign a new player to replace them or when the injured players will start returning to playing shape. 

• Like it 1

I think Giannoulis will remain, even with the signing of Coentrao (if it happens) and there will be a reevaluation in December when Vieirinha is set to return. (Who knows, if Coentrao works out, we may see Vieirinha at winger again).  But the midfielder that's supposedly a done deal will surely mean an exit for Kace and with the return of Mauricio and Wernbloom, Misic is surely to be next out the door.

Since he's on loan, would they even bother?

I can't see us dropping Giannoulis; I think it's much more likely that Vieirinha will be put in as a winger and pinch-hit as a fullback/wingback once in a while. The team needs to build its next generation and there's absolutely no reason Giannoulis can't be a huge part in the team. I'm not nearly as concerned about his defending being an issue as most people here are.

What I don't get about the numbers here, are what does this mean for the injured? Like, will there be a space for them when they come back? Assuming both Wernbloom and Mauricio are active and look good during the winter transfer window, does that mean Kace gets shipped out then? Or do we just not renew any contracts? Seems a weird situation all around.

I think Wernbloom is too much of a risk to count on his return.  The likelihood of him reinjuring, ,or just not being able to play at a high level is HUGE, so I wouldn't put too much stock in his return.  Mauricio is also coming from a pretty significant injury, so it may take a couple months to get into any kind of groove.  I think having Kace this early in training makes him a great option for Cup matches and bottom 8 team matches...ESPECIALLY if by some miracle we get into Group Stages of CL and will have a couple months of 9-10 matches/month lined up.

Kace would be just fine against Greek league opponents for the most part. As long as Ferreira will actually play him against those teams (something Lucescu and Ivic seemed dead-set against).

If that Croatian guy gets bought, IMO we won't need to sign any more DMs. Even if Ferreira likes playing with two #6s...

Why is everyone so much more sure that Mauricio will be in better shape than Wernbloom?