Phantis Forums

Euro 2020: Liechtenstein-Greece(23 March 2019, Rheinpark Stadion, Vaduz)

Omonoia9

1 hour ago, georgelaz said:

siovas and kourbelis (who's a cdm/cb) are both good ball playing cb's but sokratis and manolas are better defensively. sokratis and manolas usually just do conservative passes to the wings.

I think siovas and Kourbelis should start next game also. They didn’t do anything to lose their place. The team won. Take out Bakasetas and start Donis. Keep the rest the same. They did well. 

• Like it 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

I think siovas and Kourbelis should start next game also. They didn’t do anything to lose their place. The team won. Take out Bakasetas and start Donis. Keep the rest the same. They did well. 

I dunno it's cuz it was just liechenstein they didn't really have much threats. bosnia is a different animal. sokratis has shown he's capable of man marking dzeko out of a game. if he's 100% we gotta start sokratis

• Like it 2

Starting Socratis is not even a question and if it is a question it’s a really dumb one.. If Socratis is healthy of course you start him.. you can build confidence from the Liechtenstein game but by no means can you judge how our defenders defended in that game..

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 3

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

Agree but it also could have been a lot worse as we could have been paired in the Netherlands and Germany, Spain and Sweden, all in all we did get a group that at the very least should give us a chance to qualify. No excuses we need to finish 2nd in this group. 

Yes being drawn into the same group as Germany and Holland would have been the hardest possible draw.

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

Starting Socratis is not even a question and if it is a question it’s a really dumb one.. If Socratis is healthy of course you start him.. you can build confidence from the Liechtenstein game but by no means can you judge how our defenders defended in that game..

Well In that case, you can’t really judge anyone else either right? I mean then you may as well not stop and say Donis scored. But it was only Liechtenstein. Which I’m sure 99 percent of the goalies in the world would’ve stopped. Vlachodimos can’t be judged either. He did nothing. You can say the same thing about every player. Can’t you? 

5 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

Well In that case, you can’t really judge anyone else either right? I mean then you may as well not stop and say Donis scored. But it was only Liechtenstein. Which I’m sure 99 percent of the goalies in the world would’ve stopped. Vlachodimos can’t be judged either. He did nothing. You can say the same thing about every player. Can’t you? 

sokratis donis and vlacho are in form and play at bigger clubs then siovas and kourbelis. 

I never said Sokratis isn’t good enough to start. That would be ridiculous. Of course he is. I’m just a firm believer in rewarding players who have worked hard and have won. I like the saying if it’s not broken don’t fix it. 

2 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

sokratis donis and vlacho are in form and play at bigger clubs then siovas and kourbelis. 

What does club team have to do with it? I would hardly call Stuttgart a big club. 

22 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

What does club team have to do with it? I would hardly call Stuttgart a big club. 

bigger and better then pao or leganes at the moment. they've also won the bundesliga 5 times and is worth 140 million compared to olympiakos which is worth 60 million according to transfermarkt

2 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

Sokratis is one of our main players along with Vlachodimos, Donis, Manolas and Fortounis. They are at a higher level than most of our players so it shouldn’t be questioned. I agree with you though you shouldn’t really change a winning team. Also Kourbelis played well and should play again. I’d be disappointed if he was dropped.

Good read.

https://m.sport24.gr/Columns/themis-kaisaris/ethnikh-kati-san-flasaki.5471344.html

Pretty good analysis of the match, the players and where we are the minute.

A lot of positives from the win but we need to put in perspective. It was Lietchenstein.

The campaign and tougher opponents will define who can and can’t.

7 hours ago, georgelaz said:

bigger and better then pao or leganes at the moment. they've also won the bundesliga 5 times and is worth 140 million compared to olympiakos which is worth 60 million according to transfermarkt

They’re going to get relegated 

10 minutes ago, tantra129 said:

what is the state of the Bosnian NT these days?

I'd say it's good. Sokratis' teammate Kolašinac had a minor injury so he missed Armenia game, but he should be ready tomorrow. Apart from that no other injury problems. All in all, our team is weaker than 2014. when we played World cup having only two class players now Džeko and Pjanić, but we will see what future brings. I know Greece also have some injured players, but that doesn't have to mean anything.

Edited by KingdomOfBosnia
  • Like it 1

6 minutes ago, tantra129 said:

what is the state of the Bosnian NT these days?

Hello. It has been a while since I last wrote here, who knew we would be in this situation again so soon?

Bosnia has undergone a transformation under new manager Robert Prosinečki who can certainly put up some impressive numbers to his name so far. Since Robert Prosinečki took over, Bosnia have only conceded 4 goals in the last 10 games, one of those being a 93rd minute deflection against Northern Ireland. The current team is much more organized, disciplined and defensively compact than the one Greece played in the last qualification campaign - the fact Bosnia has been promoted to Divison A of the UEFA Nations League is proof of this. However, Bosnia has lost its offensive touch and finds it harder to come to goals and chances than would have previously been the case. For example, the team only managed one shot on target in the game against Austria at home and that was the shot that resulted in the only goal of the game, giving Bosnia a 1-0 victory.

I expect a hard match tomorrow, it could go either way.

• Like it 2

Greece has got to be one of the most wild car national teams out there. Probably why so many of us stick around after shocking campaigns. We can beat a world class Belgium and lose to Faroe Islands in the span of 1-2 years.

Very curious which Greece shows up this campaign. I have low expectations and usually Greece steps up when expectations are low. It's a paradox.

2 hours ago, georgelaz said:

Greece has got to be one of the most wild car national teams out there. Probably why so many of us stick around after shocking campaigns. We can beat a world class Belgium and lose to Faroe Islands in the span of 1-2 years.

Very curious which Greece shows up this campaign. I have low expectations and usually Greece steps up when expectations are low. It's a paradox.

Greece tied Belgium on the 89th minute Lukaku goal but I get what your saying. We deserved that game if not for stupid 2nd yellow given by the ref to Tachtsidis. Greece get amped up for the bigger tests.

• Like it 1

^ Yes I'm fully aware of the draw but both our games were very competitive against them.

this Bosnia game imo is make or break. It's tough because it's away game. I find out NT has a poor psychology but if we build momentum belief sets in.

the poor start vs. romania euro 2016 was very pivotal. I think our qualifying chances very much rest on this Bosnia game. if we get a draw or win then we have a very good chance to qualify. If we don't win I think it's a very serious uphill climb (even though it shouldn't be)

actually, if you ask me from the traditional top 8 NT giants who we'd have the best chance of beating I'd put Italy up there. (eg) Germany, France, England, Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italy) 

Italy are traditionally a slowish defensive style and they rely on set pieces (they're very similar to us). They have more skill whereas we have more strength to muscle them off set pieces easily. 

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

I'm reading that Donis will be the striker and Kolovos, Masouras and Bakasetas will challenge for the 2 wing spots.... Does this make sense to anybody??? why in the world wouldn't you use Donis on the wing and take advantage of his speed along with Masouras and Kolouris as a striker??  Can you imagine Kolovos and Bakasetas on the wing?. I hope the Coach is smarter then this and I hope he learns from Bakasetas last match as he was the worst player on the field..

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

if we don't do this in attacking third we'll lose.

koulouris/mitro

donis fortounis  masouras

I agree but it seems like he’s going to stick with Donis as the striker.. Also Mitro is out 100% so he is not an option.. I will be speechless if bakasetas starts in this game.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic