Phantis Forums

OAKA Stadium thread

Ziaka

Anyone heard any recent reports from the Greek press on the construction of the roof. I have a friend in Athens who was involved with the design who says there are still real problems.

"Greece" and "problems" ??? I never thought they were synonymous :lol:

It wouldnt suprise me if they workman were still hammering away and then taking a break to watch the mens 100m final from a birds eye view!!!

He reckons there could be major structural problems with the foundations etc. This is something a thousand hammering Albanians may even struggle to overcome. I really hope they can overcome the difficulties, and end up with a stadium worthy of the occasion.

Well, if things are as you say instead of a roof they could go to "plan B" and throw a massive piece of Nylon over the stadium so no one gets wet. It may cuase a Greenhouse effect but at least no one will get rained upon. They'll still end up drenched though...lol..can you imagime 35 degree heat and covered by nylon? :lol:

What bloody idiots the lot of them. You can say this isn't an Olympics worthy of the Greeks organisation, can you!

OH MY GOD WHERE NOT GOING TO MAKE IT!!!! :o

I really hope they do make it in time. But just imagine champions league games in there (even though Olympiakos has a ground). The atmosphere is hairaising just without a roof there, so imagine with a roof cause the sound would echo and be like 5 times louder!!!

Would Champions league games be played there?

I must agree with you about the atmosphere at OAKA. The Greece-Denmark world cup qualifier was amazing, but the noise created at the Olympiakos-Ajax champions league match was probably the loudest I've ever experienced.

Earplugs may be required if the roof gets finished!

I must agree with you about the atmosphere at OAKA. The Greece-Denmark world cup qualifier was amazing.

Damn bro, what a game from Greece, hammering the Danes especially in the 2nd half and the bloody ball doing everything but going in!

I think that was the most talented Greek team in the last 10 years. Too bad it had Kir Kostas "Greek coaches complex" Polichroniou on the bench.

I'll never forget Alexandris for missing the tet-a-tet with Scmeichel in the last minute :angry:

The most incredible moment came with about 10 minutes to go when everyone in the stadium realised it was not going to be their night and released every firework and flare in the stadium. I was at the back of the top tier, and could see virtually nothing. Did the players leave the field, or only stop playing for a few minutes?

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of quotes from the following article which make me think this roof will be something really special - and well worth the wait:

"I am very optimistic. It will be ready for the Olympics. Everything is going very well. We are all working round the clock to bring things to an end. It will be magnificent." (Architect, Calatrava)

Britain's Observer newspaper said in a profile of Calatrava last month that the roof, whether built or not, would make the 53-year-old Spaniard the most famous architect in the world.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;j...storyID=4558016

Archived