Phantis Forums

Other Greeks Playing Abroad

js1000

24 year old Amiri Kurdi is a Saudi Arabian-Greek dual citizen whom currently plays his club football with Giannis Fetfatzidis at Al-Ahli Saudi FC. Apparently he plays mostly at right back or midfield. Born on 11 September 1991 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia but moved to Greece from a young age where he came up through the Panionios youth system & eventually the Panionios first team where he has played 62 matches & having scored 1 goal between 2009-2015.

• 4 months later...

I don't think there's a thread for him, but Avraam Papadopoulos is now playing in Japan (for Jubilo Iwata). Apparently he's the first Greek to ever play in the Japanese top flight.

• Like it 2

That was nice to see. Good luck to Avraam. I know there is not a lot of love for him around here, but I have to respect how much work he has put in to play after his injury finished him for top flight football- Turkey then China and now Japan, there are not a lot of Greeks players who can handle that kind of culture shock.

Edited by MykinesFC
  • Like it 1

He represented Australia is their last tournament, yes but prior to that he'd only ever played for Greece. I'd say the kid has not yet decided and nor should he, until one of the senior national teams calls him up.

I believe Les Murray titled his article "Armenakas chooses Australia" to mislead and ruffle a few feathers after he and a few Greek Australians exchanged some words on twitter about Armenakas representing the Greek U17's. Panos was not quoted at all in the article, it was written just before Tony Vidmar announced his Australia U17 squad which Panos had apparently commit to representing in an upcoming tournament.

Edited by Pontos

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Definitely a poor move, he's much better than that team. On the plus side, this will at least be some place where he gets regular playing time. I think I read that this deal is only through the end of the season, but can be extended to 2.5 years if the player agrees. I'm sure his agent will be working overtime to make that not happen.

Giannis Maniatis & Theofanis Tzandaris will have to look abroad for a club after Olympiacos released both players after the January 2017 transfer period window had been closed. I'm sure this means they can't transfer to any other Greek Super League team & the majority of European football leagues. I think the Russia Premier League & maybe one or two other European league are options, otherwise a stint in Asia, North America or Australia.

http://www.sdna.gr/news-english/article/293091/olympiacos-terminate-maniatis-and-tzandaris-contracts

These players without a contract can sign everywhere and whenever they want. There is no limitation in time or place as the transferwindow sees on a transfer between clubs. Without a contract you don't have to observe the rules of the window. Problem is: The player is considered not good enough. Even not good enough to get a fee. Why would another club get you? The other problem is to stay fit. Just fit is not matchfit as soccer is more than running and endurance. 

They may have done just that. I believe it's the payment of his remaining salary, though I could be wrong.

I don't know what Maniatis' contract was, but I can't imagine Tzandaris was on some absurd salary. He also signed with them two years ago if I recall, so if his contract was up this or next summer, and it costs Olympiakos 350k EUR to kick him out this year early, it's not a big price to pay by their perspective.

• 1 month later...

I think Samaras played a game or two in Australia. Avraam was actually born down under, though. 

Avraam just dropped off the face of the earth starting with his move to Turkey and then to China. People don't realize he was only 29 when he left Olympiacos and, if he had maintained form, could have easily still be playing a role in the NT as he just recently turned 32. Strange career. 

Edited by Argy

Samaras Snr played..a few guest matches 30 years ago...George samaras has not played...

Many Greek players played in Australia in decades gone by... Including Papaoiannou in his later years..I saw him play as an old man..for lower league team Western Suburbs.

Katsouranis played for Heidelberg who are a 'second tier team' ..again this was a one off game... token effort..

avraam is the only Greek to play here for an A League Club in the 'new era'

• 4 months later...
  • Argy changed the title to Other Greeks Playing Abroad
  • Argy pinned this topic