Phantis Forums

Olymbiakos, the King of the Greek Football

Bashibozuk

Olympiakos undoubtedly has the greatest pedigree in the continental competitions since I've started following Greek footy (2012ish). This reputation was also reinforced this season with Oly progressing from a difficult group, tying Betis and beating Milan in the process, whereas PAOK flamed out of a group with two cupcake teams. 

In recent years they have indeed been the most successful in Europe. Historically Panathiniakos has reached a European cup final (champions league) as well as being a two time semi-finalist on 2 separate occasions. Therefore IMO making them the most successful greek club in Europe. 

Understandable though that current generations view Olympiako as the most recognisable and biggest club in Greece

• Like it 1

On April 4, 2007 Mrs Despoina Papadopoulou (wife of the dictator Papadopoulos ) appeared at a TV show of Papahelas. Here is what was said:

….......
- Despoina : I am AEK, but I wanted to see PAO go to Wembley
- Papahelas: Tell us how you remember what happened that day
- Despoina: The Yugoslav ambassador, I and Pattakos were seated together. Once the score was 3-0, I was very anxious and I did not feel well.
Mr. Pattakos tried to reassure and told me: "We paid them and will win the match. Do not worry”

I told him then "Please! The ambassador is seated next to me” and

Pattakos told me “he does not know s%$#! of Greek!” 
After that the Yugoslav ambassador told me (in native Greek!): 
Do not worry Madame Papadopoulou! you bought it you will get it.

Notes:

Pattakos said that this conversation never happened.
The OSFP supporters claim that Despoina is as truthful as the Biblical Magdalena..

The PAO supporters seem to claim that if PAO were to enter the pool of Shiloam the pool would be sanctified.

• Like it 1

Μιά άλλη πτυχή των κατορθωμάτων του ΠΑΟ το 1971:

http://www.redsagainsthemachine.gr/articles/140117/xoyntempley-kai-eberton-diaititis-ellie-kai-ippodromos.

Τα σχόλια για το match και η κριτική του διαιτητή δεν μου λέει πολλά. Αλλά αυτά για την φιλοξενία με μοτοσυκλέτες και αυτοκίνητα έγιναν και ήταν συμπεριφορά μικρής ομάδαςμ

Η Daily Telegraph γράφει ότι ''όλες οι κρίσιμες αποφάσεις του Ελλιέ, στα καρέ του ΠΑΟ, ευνοούσαν τους Έλληνες'', ενώ αναφέρεται και σε ένα πέναλτυ που δεν έδωσε ο Ελλιέ υπέρ της Έβερτον, σε ανατροπή του Γουίτλ από το Σούρπη. Η Daily Mirror περνάει γενεές 14 ΠΑΟ και Ελλιέ. Χαρακτηρίζει γελοίο το αποτέλεσμα του πρώτου αγώνα στο Λίβερπουλ, κάνει λόγο για ματς των 50 φάουλ στη Λαγοφλώρο, με ελάχιστη ποιότητα, ενώ αναφέρεται και αυτή στο πέναλτυ που δεν έδωσε ο Ελλιέ, χαρακτηρίζοντας το Σούρπη που ανέτρεψε το Γουίτλ ''παίκτη-τσεκούρι''. Γίνεται λόγος για θόρυβο την παραμονή του αγώνος κάτω από το ξενοδοχείο που διέμενε η αποστολή της Έβερτον, με μοτοσυκλέτες και αυτοκίνητα να μην επιτρέπουν στους Άγγλους να κοιμηθούν και τον προπονητή της Έβερτον Κάττερικ να χαρακτηρίζει αυτές τις ενέργειες ''οργανωμένη επιχείρηση εναντίον μας''. Σύμφωνα με την εφημερίδα, ο Κάττερικ δήλωσε πως ο διαιτητής Ελλιέ δεν άφησε την ομάδα του να παίξει ποδόσφαιρο, διαμαρτυρήθηκε για το πέναλτυ που δεν καταλογίστηκε υπέρ των παικτών του, ενώ έκανε παράπονα και για το γήπεδο. ''Ο διαιτητής σφύριζε συνέχεια, με το που κατορθώναμε να κοντρολάρουμε την μπάλα σε αυτό το γήπεδο'', ήταν τα λόγια του. Η Daily Express εν πολλοίς επαναλαμβάνει τα παραπάνω, με τα λόγια του Κάττερικ συμπληρωμένα. ''Η μπάλα ήταν ελαφριά, το γήπεδο σκληρό και οι αντίπαλοί μας υπερ-σκληροί''. Με λίγα λόγια, τα τσεκούρια του ΠΑΟ βαρούσαν στο ψαχνό, ο Ελλιέ έκλεινε τα μάτια, υπό αυτές τις συνθήκες η ομάδα που έψαχνε το γκολ δεν μπορούσε να βρει ρυθμό και στο τέλος ο Γάλλος δεν έδωσε και ένα πέναλτυ στην Έβερτον. Ποια ήταν η ανταμοιβή του Ελλιέ για όλα αυτά, εφόσον παρέμεινε στην Αθήνα για λίγες μέρες μετά τον επαναληπτικό της Λεωφόρου; Aρχικά, ζήτησε να διαιτητεύσει και το ντέρμπυ ΠΑΟ-Ολυμπιακός στη Λεωφόρο, στις 28 Μαρτίου 1971, που έληξε με σκορ 2-2. Ήταν το παιχνίδι που όπως είδαμε, βάζελοι στις κερκίδες λίγο έλειψε να δείρουν το ΓΟΥΛΑΝΔΡΗ, που τους έδινε πριμ για την πρόκρισή τους επί της Έβερτον.

Let me write something positive for PAO:

1. Nowadays PAO is economically broke

2. Given its budget, PAO fares well; PAO's coach and the players deserve kudos

3. PAO was victim of referee's ignorance; as a result PAO's faint probability to continue playing for the Cup disappeared.

4. PAO responded by stating

" In the Cup match between Panathinaikos and Lamia in the OAKA on 24/1/2019 the regulation was incorrectly implemented to make a fourth change from the moment the match was led to an extension. Despite being able to appeal, Panathinaikos FC does not intend to do so. The ideals and history of the club require us to win matches and qualifiers on the field rather than on the cards. Congratulations to Lamia for her sake. "

5)- Typically, pettiness, sophistry and quibbling follows failure; in this case PAO was victim of referencial ignorance and reacted as a man.

We may agree or disagree, but it is expected that we will try to use the same facts, language, syntax and logic.

1. Despoina's statements may be or not be true. Nevertheless

2. Whoever can read and understand either the Greek or the American language would understand that the assertion was “match bought by the government” not “match bought by PAO”.

3. At that time many believed that the govenment of the colonels bought the match; the theory was that a victory would make them popular.

There was, though, a lesser sin (but impossible to refute) that took place that year:

When Everton came to Athens, the PAO fanatics were driving cars and motorcycles around the hotel where Everton stayed. The basic idea was to create such a bedlam that the Everton players would be unable to sleep.

Professional soccer is like a sausage. Wonderful while its components are not known.

I'm from Spain (MARCA is from here).

People here knows Olympiakos and Panathinaikos due to Basketball.  If you ask the Spaniards about the Greek football and the football teams of Olympiakos and Panathinaikos, they have no idea.  

So that's why they voted Olympiakos, because Basketball Olympiakos is one of the best European teams.

23 hours ago, Bashibozuk said:

We may agree or disagree, but it is expected that we will try to use the same facts, language, syntax and logic.

1. Despoina's statements may be or not be true. Nevertheless

2. Whoever can read and understand either the Greek or the American language would understand that the assertion was “match bought by the government” not “match bought by PAO”.

3. At that time many believed that the govenment of the colonels bought the match; the theory was that a victory would make them popular.

There was, though, a lesser sin (but impossible to refute) that took place that year:

When Everton came to Athens, the PAO fanatics were driving cars and motorcycles around the hotel where Everton stayed. The basic idea was to create such a bedlam that the Everton players would be unable to sleep.

Professional soccer is like a sausage. Wonderful while its components are not known.

I would like to point out that there's no such thing as American language, it is still called English.

Greek soccer is F***ed up, I think each club was involved in match-fixing at some point in their history. Olympiakos just did it best, but there isn't a single innocent team in Greece. I do think that match-fixing is slowly becoming a thing of the past. With the introduction of VAR, with the government and UEFA breathing down everyone throats. I do hope so atleast. 

6 hours ago, PAOTHEGREAT said:

You're 100 percent correct....Greek soccer doesn't exist anymore....very very low.   What they're hiding in Greece is the fact Basketball is by far the biggest sport in Greece.   Go take a look on the websites where the tickets are sold....court site 400$, lower bowl 300 to 200$, and upper bowl 100 and 50$....games get sold out!   Compare Greek soccer and they can't sell out with 10$ tickets!    Look at the starting 5 of Olympiakos and PAO in basketball....the salary combined is 13 million.   Let's talk TV revenues....Basketball always cashing in with European money....before the season starts in basketball they're raking in 20 million for TV....and I'm hearing another 20 million ticket revenue.   Greek soccer is a souvlaki stand!

Having a competitive league would actually help. If a single team starts winning the league then its just going to go downhill. So Aek winning it last year was great, Paok this year would be even better. Fewer teams in the league would be better (fewer worthless fillar teams), VAR would help a bit with match-fixing and bad calls, and foreign refs brought in for potential suspect matches. Whatever it takes to make this league worth watching.

I would like to point out that there's no such thing as American language, it is still called English..

Actually, there is no such a thing as the English language. Those who have seen the “My fair lady” know that the “English language” is not a language. It is a tool for societal discrimination. 

• Like it 1

There was a time when the Greek soccer clubs were not the property of some oligarth and the players were not professionals. Things has changed and as a rule the club with bigger budget wins. Example:

1. Before Kokkalis ΟΣΦΠ was to be pitied

2. After Kokkalis the team became much better and the referees amical.

3. Then Vardioyannis was  removed from PAO. The new guys brought good and costly players. The team played well and won the championship. A few referees had to be given personal lessons in order to understand that a new sheriff was in the city.

4. Unfortunately, PAO ran of money and was to pitied

5. Then OSFP got a new president. He spent money and learned how tohandle the team and the championship through lessons from well known ethician Αχιλλέα Mπέο.

6. Then, last year, AEK and PAOK were well funded and PAOK would have been the champion if the supporters and the president of PAOK were not of the opinion that the visiting clubs should lose by all conceivable means.

7. AEK was the other team with money and when PAOK committed suicide, AEK became the champion.

• 4 weeks later...

It appears that OSFP and championships will be divorced.  Because,

1. Last year PAOK would have been the champion if Savidis and the PAOK supporters were not thugs and/or  dumb.

2. This year PAOK will be champion.

3. It appears that PAOK will be champion for many years. Several papers claim that Xanthi will become a PAOK-minor. Namely:

a) Xanthi will be sold and Zissis will be its president

b) The price has been agreed and is somewhere between 10M and 15M euros.

c) The new owner will be Maria Kondareva

d) The real owner's name will not be Maria Kondareva

On 1/27/2019 at 8:57 PM, Nilaul said:

I would like to point out that there's no such thing as American language, it is still called English.

Greek soccer is F***ed up, I think each club was involved in match-fixing at some point in their history. Olympiakos just did it best, but there isn't a single innocent team in Greece. I do think that match-fixing is slowly becoming a thing of the past. With the introduction of VAR, with the government and UEFA breathing down everyone throats. I do hope so atleast. 

It is the worst kept secret in the world that Greek soccer is plagued by match fixing from the small teams like Kalamata all the way to the superleague. 

On 2/23/2019 at 7:37 PM, Bashibozuk said:

c) The new owner will be Maria Kondareva

d) The real owner's name will not be Maria Kondareva

?

It is known that Marinakis bought the news parers “TA NEA” and BHMA . As a result we can read today a totally objective and very modest article about Olymbiakos in the newspaper “TA NEA”.

The headline of this article is

Ενας θρύλος – 94 χρόνια δόξας

Ο Ολυμπιακός γιορτάζει σήμερα τα 94α γενέθλια του

• 4 weeks later...

It is known that Marinakis bought the news parers “TA NEA” and BHMA . As a result we can read today a totally objective and very modest article about Olymbiakos in the newspaper “TA NEA”.

The headline of this article is

Ενας θρύλος – 94 χρόνια δόξας

Ο Ολυμπιακός γιορτάζει σήμερα τα 94α γενέθλια του

OOne can read  https://www.iefimerida.gr/ the following story: the Greek the following :

Fighting a supporter of Olympiacos by five people on a vehicle in Ilion managed to prevent the men in the section of Athletic Violence.

More specifically, passengers of the 18- to-30-year-old fleet of the car flew to Peristeri to find the "red-eyed" supporter and attack him, but the authorities arrested them and led them to GADA.

The fans of Panathinaikos were fully ... equipped with every kind of lethal weapon, having on their full face, masks, gloves, hammers, jaws and a knife.

Fighting a supporter of Olympiacos by five people on a vehicle in Ilion managed to prevent the men in the section of Athletic Violence.

More specifically, passengers of the 18- to-30-year-old fleet of the car flew to Peristeri to find the "red-eyed" supporter and attack him, but the authorities arrested them and led them to GADA.

The fans of Panathinaikos were fully ... equipped with every kind of lethal weapon, having on their full face, masks, gloves, hammers, jaws and a knife.