Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Blackhawk

Pots for EURO 2020 qualifying campaign are set. Greece is in Pot 4 along with football powerhouses such as Albania, Cyprus, Estonia, etc.:

POT 1:  Switzerland, Holland, Portugal, England, Belgium, France, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Poland
POT 2:  Germany, Iceland, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark, Sweden, Russia, Austria, Wales, Czech Republic
POT 3:  Slovakia, Turkey, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland, Bulgaria, Israel
POT 4:  Hungary, Romania, GREECE, Albania, Montenegro, Cyprus, Estonia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Georgia
POT 5:  FYROM, Kosovo, Belarus, Luxembourg, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Gibraltar, Feroe Islands
POT 6:  Latvia, Liechtenstein, Andora, Malta, San Marino

Underlined teams ensured a play-off spot after winning Nations league groups.

Draw will be made on December 2, 2018.

• Like it 1

Poland 

Czech Republic

North Ireland

Gibraltar

San Marino

I wouldn't mind the over hype that is England. Also Austria from Pot 2. How is the Czeck Republic still a pot 2 team they have been in poor shape in the last few years.

• Like it 1

Best case scenario for this crappy squad would be   ...

A.  Poland/Swiss

B.  Austria/Iceland/Bosnia

C. Bulgaria/Israel/Norway

No i wouldnt want FYROM at this moment in time.  Thats all we need right now with all going on. If they beat us it would be like them winning the world cup. 

To think they can also get a  France Germany Serbia scenario is funny. I would say avoid Germany/Sweden at all cost from Pot B and Serbia, Slovakia from Pot C 

Edited by Polikastano

My best 

Pot 1 Poland 

Pot 2 Czech Republic

Pot 3 Israel

Pot 5 Gibraltar

My worst

Pot 1 Any

Pot 2 Germany

Pot 3 Slovakia or Serbia 

Funniest

Pot 1 Croatia

Pot 2 Bosnia and Herzegovina

Pot 3 Serbia

Pot 5 FYROM or Kosovo

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Torontoblue said:

We are in trouble. At this moment we can't beat anyone. 

But I would say Switzerland Iceland Slovakia Gibraltar and San Marino. 

It still driving me nuts that if we had won the group we would have had a playoff spot already.  Even 2nd place there was hope of a playoff spot. 

I cant believe Greece did not top this group with relative ease and to not finish in 3rd is so embarrassing. A total blown opportunity.

4 hours ago, Torontoblue said:

We are in trouble. At this moment we can't beat anyone. 

But I would say Switzerland Iceland Slovakia Gibraltar and San Marino. 

It still driving me nuts that if we had won the group we would have had a playoff spot already.  Even 2nd place there was hope of a playoff spot. 

I don’t think it matters who we get as anyone right now can beat us but there’s no way I would want Switzerland they are solid or Slovakia, there are much easier teams then Slovakia in pot 3...

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

I don’t think it matters who we get as anyone right now can beat us but there’s no way I would want Switzerland they are solid or Slovakia, there are much easier teams then Slovakia in pot 3...

From Pot 3 I will definitely take North Ireland, Israel, Bulgaria even Norway . As I posted before I dont want Greece up against Finland anymore. Im excited for this draw and I hope its as straight forward as possible, I cant stand to think we may miss out on a 3rd consecutive major tournament.

@Ellada2004 as much as I get pissed and want to say F*** this team they’re going no where I am also still excited for the draw and pray we get something reasonable that at least provides us a chance and gives us some hope...Who knows maybe not being the favourite in the group will make us play better and we can sneak through like we almost did in the last World Cup qualifier and like we have done before.. The last few times we were favoured in a group we s%$#! the bed.. Maybe Greece need to be the underdog and play against stronger opponents where the other team controls the ball and Greece just defend and attack on the counter.. That’s how we almost beat Belgium in Belgium amongst other teams..

The draw will create 10 qualifying groups. Five groups of 6 teams and 5 groups of 5 teams. Holland, Switzerland, Portugal and England as Nations League group winners will be placed in groups of 5 teams. Top two from each group qualify.

I would like this group for Greece:

France
Germany
Turkey
Greece
Kosovo
San Marino

• Like it 1

4 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

The draw will create 10 qualifying groups. Five groups of 6 teams and 5 groups of 5 teams. Holland, Switzerland, Portugal and England as Nations League group winners will be placed in groups of 5 teams. Top two from each group qualify.

I would like this group for Greece:

France
Germany
Turkey
Greece
Kosovo
San Marino

the problem with Greece is we underachieve with easy groups and overachieve with hard groups but our overachievement is not enough to top the group. eg) vs. belgium we nearly beat them two of the times but still their quality saw them to the top whereas we got pumped by finland first game... we need to not adjust our game plan it seems for the weaker teams. still have a defense first mentality. we're not barca

Right now, who we draw means little imo. We need to focus on our team and the football they produce.

We are deadset horrible again, I actually watched highlights of the Costa Rica game at the gym last night and I have to say, night and day to today.

Lazaros was a beast on the wing, taking on players and getting past, up front Salpi and Gekas caused problems whilst Mitro was too slow (even then) to trouble the defence. Samaras was also dangerous wider.

Point is, you need to have a balance and we need to stop this slow central players (Mantalos & Bakasetas) on the wing or horrible passers (Pelkas) out there too.

We have wing players, use them, and watch an improvement. 

Finishing our chances is the other issue, massive opportunity for an up and coming striker to make a name for themselves 

• Like it 3

^^ I watched that game about a week ago and we played with so much pace, the team created so many chances and was unlucky not to score a 2nd goal because of the great goalkeeping from Navas. Total night and day difference to the current NT which in a lot of games has so much trouble moving the ball effectively in the final third of the pitch. 

Mantalos has no confidence lately he had terrible control and ruined our attack in the last few games. Bakasetas still has yet to score for the NT in 20 appearances and I just dont see him working out for the Ethniki so I think its time to move on from him.

• Like it 1

Just now, georgelaz said:

none of our younger strikers look that promising to me

nothing compared to 2013 Mitroglou.

Ya George that's a big problem for us going forward. Who can score at the same rate Mitro did? Koulouris? Karelis? dont think they are even close to his top level.

• Like it 1

2 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

^^ I watched that game about a week ago and we played with so much pace, the team created so many chances and was unlucky not to score a 2nd goal because of the great goalkeeping from Navas. Total night and day difference to the current NT which in a lot of games has so much trouble moving the ball effectively in the final third of the pitch. 

Mantalos has no confidence lately he had terrible control and ruined our attack in the last few games. Bakasetas still has yet to score for the NT in 20 appearances and I just dont see him working out for the Ethniki so I think its time to move on from him.

yeah we basically got Navas his job at Real Madrid that game lol

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

yeah we basically got Navas his job at Real Madrid that game lol

lol true.. but he made some crazy saves I remember that header from Mitro in extra time when he tipped it over the bar I thought we were on our way to the quarters.

• Like it 1

13 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

lol true.. but he made some crazy saves I remember that header from Mitro in extra time when he tipped it over the bar I thought we were on our way to the quarters.

we had a good chance against the dutch too. costa rica netherlands was also 0-0 free kicks. we also beat the dutch 2-1 in a friendly a year or two after.

• Like it 1

11 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

we had a good chance against the dutch too. costa rica netherlands was also 0-0 free kicks. we also beat the dutch 2-1 in a friendly a year or two after.

ya it would have been a 50/50 with Holland. Greece were penalties away from the World Cup quarter finals and looks what has happened in the last 4 years, total disappointment.

2 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

ya it would have been a 50/50 with Holland. Greece were penalties away from the World Cup quarter finals and looks what has happened in the last 4 years, total disappointment.

Guys I dont want to be rude but Costa Rica was incredibly fortunate not to concede a single goal in 120 minutes, especially during extra time. I mean the Dutch hit the bar two times and they had a lot of chances. We lost on penalties to Costa Rica in the second round and they lost on penalty shootout against Netherlands but it doesnt necessarily mean that we and the Dutch were equally strong. Netherlands beat Brazil 3-0; does that imply that we (and Costa Rica) are much stronger than Brazil? (I mean the 2014 sides of course.)