Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Blackhawk

On 9/18/2019 at 10:10 AM, Ellada2004 said:

I heard on Georgiou radio show that Greece still has a chance to get in to the Nations league playoffs. They were saying if Norway, Finland or Romania get automatic qualification a spot opens up for Greece? In which case we would play Serbia in playoffs. Anyone heard anything in regards to this being an option.

I don’t see how this is possible since Greece finished behind Finland and Hungary... Unless I’m missing something I don’t think it’s possible...wouldn’t Finland and Hungary both have to qualify from the euro campaign? Even then don’t they take the best 2nd place team out of group C of the nations league? 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, J1078 said:

So after all this there is still a slim chance we can get into the playoffs for the Nations League. Sport24 breaks down our slim chances. 

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ellada/ethniki_elladas/ethnikh-elladas-kai-omws-den-exei-akoma-apokleistei.5619135.html

So if Hungary who sit second currently in there group make it we get there spot? Only problem is they have 1 game left and Slovakia and wales have two. Though Slovakia have to play Croatia. Would be something if we could get a second chance. 

1 hour ago, Ellada2004 said:

So if Hungary who sit second currently in there group make it we get there spot? Only problem is they have 1 game left and Slovakia and wales have two. Though Slovakia have to play Croatia. Would be something if we could get a second chance. 

I’m not sure if that’s the only thing required, I think Hungary Finland and either Serbia or Romania have to get in as well.. something like that as it needs to be a combination of things in order to get us in..

14 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I’m not sure if that’s the only thing required, I think Hungary Finland and either Serbia or Romania have to get in as well.. something like that as it needs to be a combination of things in order to get us in..

Finland is all but in. Serbia have a playoff spot already but is not likely going to overtake Portugal for 2nd. Romania are in third place in there group. 

Anyways it's a bit confusing but if we can squeeze in it would be awesome and if Greece play as they did vs Bosnia I think we would have a good shot vs Serbia, Scotland etc..

Its a shame EPO didn't hire JVS from the start of this campaign. Looking back at our results Greece should have had 8 more points which would have us ahead of Finland. Ah such a waste... 

We do but there is a 2% chance of this happening - we would need this

Serbia - Beat Ukraine & Luxembourg

Portugal - Gain no more than 4 points from 2 matches with Lithuania and Luxembourg 

Hungary - Beat Wales

Slovakia - Gain no more than 4 points from 2 matches with Croatia and Azerbaijan

Norway - Beat Faroe Islands and Malta

Romania - Beat Sweden and lose to Spain

Sweden - Lose to Romania and get no more than a draw with Faroe's

Israel - Beat Poland and Skopje

Slovenia - Lose to Poland

Austria - Lose to Skopje and Latvia

Finland - Beat Liechtenstein 

Cant see those in bold happening, especially Portugal not beating both Lithuania and Lux - that would mean Serbia takes their place in auto qualifiers 

All this would mean - Norway, Serbia, Finland, Israel and Hungary all qualify directly and we get a play off spot via League of Nations

• Like it 1

Just now, Alphonse said:

Portugal - Gain no more than 4 points from 2 matches with Lithuania and Luxembourg 

Hungary - Beat Wales

Slovakia - Gain no more than 4 points from 2 matches with Croatia and Azerbaijan

Cant see those in bold happening, especially Portugal not beating both Lithuania and Lux - that would mean Serbia takes their place in auto qualifiers 

All this would mean - Norway, Serbia, Finland, Israel and Hungary all qualify directly and we get a play off spot via League of Nations

Ok thanks for the info. That is more complicated than the playoff scenario we had for the 2018 wcup. 

36 minutes ago, Alphonse said:

Hungary - Beat Wales

Better chance of us winning the powerball if all those need to happen. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

After I posted that and went to check what type of run Lithuania are on... They lost to Luxembourg in March and draw with them in June... and they have won 1 game in the last 3 years (a friendly against Armenia)!!  good night Irene.  

Edited by Alphonse

I think we’re getting head of ourselves. We had two good games. Two entertaining games. Change has not necessarily taken place yet. We could go in tomorrow and lose 10 zero and be back on our BS. The team needs atleast 6-7 games under this coach for us to say we’ve rebuilt. Last stretch could just as easily have been a fluke. I’m excited to see what tomorrow brings 

I agree AchilliesHeel, I also think we are all pretty grounded about our realities but we can not hide our excitement at what we saw vs Bosnia and what we are seen from this new approach by JVC, which is pretty much what was needed, long way to go but at least we have seen some positives in what's been, 5 years of major mediocrity 

Edited by Alphonse

That crazy shitbag Anastasiadis and his crony Lambropoulos did us in against Estonia. If we would have drawn on that occasion our position in the NL playoff would be guaranteed now. We lost the second place to Hungary because of the idiotic experimenting (in an official game) of the old bozo.

• Like it 1

22 hours ago, La Mendel said:

That crazy shitbag Anastasiadis and his crony Lambropoulos did us in against Estonia. If we would have drawn on that occasion our position in the NL playoff would be guaranteed now. We lost the second place to Hungary because of the idiotic experimenting (in an official game) of the old bozo.

Yes just complete stupidities from him to Sokratis & manolas. Greece should have topped the NL group. Finland are average side at best and to not go over Hungary is unreal.

Had we got a draw in Finland in Euro qualifying and won at home vs Armenia & Liechtenstein. Greece would be 1 point ahead of ?? with the upcoming last game in Athens determining second place. 

Now that Sokratis & Manolas got there wish and got Ange fired they thought they would get control of the NT and be untouchable but JVS may never call them up again if the team keeps the results coming and with the other options we have in the back they have fallen down the pecking order. 

2 hours ago, Chris Tsamados said:

So what does coming third get you? I thought it was nothing but the commentator in England's game against Kosovo was saying Kosovo still have a chance to make the playoffs (they're currently third and have no way of getting second).

Probably taking about the Nations league.. Third gets you nothing.