Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Blackhawk

I'm skeptical about a Greek coach, cause I don't wanna see favorites being played based on team affiliation ect or what they've seen in the past. But I also don't know much about ouzounidis, so maybe he'll be fine. But the epo decision making seems very suspect. 

49 minutes ago, gsots said:

I'm skeptical about a Greek coach, cause I don't wanna see favorites being played based on team affiliation ect or what they've seen in the past. But I also don't know much about ouzounidis, so maybe he'll be fine. But the epo decision making seems very suspect. 

I think Ouzounidis might be the only Greek coach that would possibly work out. He helped PAO through turbulent times. I would lean to a foreign coach. 

• Like it 1

WE used 3 different goalkeepers in 3 games ?

Who is to say any of them are even the best goalkeeper in greece

Karnezis even sitting on the bench as a 3rd string goalie in napoli is probably

better than all 3 of them and has tons of experience with 50 caps.

Just put the best players on the field. Same argument can be made for somebody

like fetzfazdis and others i am sure. Rehagel who many times got criticized sometimes put on players who were without a club

on the field and he said in response that the players have not forgotten how to play.

4 hours ago, nasl said:

WE used 3 different goalkeepers in 3 games ?

Who is to say any of them are even the best goalkeeper in greece

Karnezis even sitting on the bench as a 3rd string goalie in napoli is probably

better than all 3 of them and has tons of experience with 50 caps.

Just put the best players on the field. Same argument can be made for somebody

like fetzfazdis and others i am sure. Rehagel who many times got criticized sometimes put on players who were without a club

on the field and he said in response that the players have not forgotten how to play.

I remember in the 06 wc qualifiers, Tsiartas didn't have a team and he was playing him and Tsiartas was literally saving our asses in that campaign. 

But Otto also wouldn't look for players outside the big 4 clubs on Greece, and that hurt us too. 

5 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

All this because the players  half @$$ed it against Armenia.....if you're gonna get Ouzounides you might as well keep Angelo. Ouzou is really hopeless at in game tactics and while he did ok at smaller clubs (Panionios, Xanthi) he flopped at AEK and did a very average job at PAO playing the "timio palikari" to the end.

The truth is that Angelo (and I'm not a fan of his) has been hung out to dry by the players before even getting a chance. You can say what you will about his decisions and call ups but the only real damage done to the campaign so far is the loss to Armenia and as I stated before, its entirely on the players.....the team beat Lichtenstein, drew Bosnia, lost (as expected) to Italy and lost 3 points to Armenia (THE PLAYERS FAULT) and now he's being crucified by all the press so he can get canned. Something stinks about this scenario and as much as I like Sokratis as a player, his behavior after the match makes him seem unworthy of being a captain....he could have discussed things with Angelo and the EPO before pulling the rug  out from under him. If they had won the game against Armenia (which they should have been able to do even without a coach) then no one would have said a peep....so 1 game lost with the blame squarely on the players and he's gonna get the boot....that's real nice.

If anything Sokratis said the truth and had to be said. You can’t really blame him for that. If our players are so called “good enough” then they would’ve beaten Armenia. I believe Anastasiadis should get another chance especially if EPO are thinking of signing another Greek coach to replace him. He might aswell stay. If a foreign coach comes in then we should start rebuilding and work on a long term goal. I have a feeling we will have it hard against Finland and Lichtenstein in September.

I think Sok said what he did because his concerns were not being addressed elsewhere.  Apparently, they were initially frustrated with the hire and they did make it known.  Working for someone that you do not respect is not a good thing for anyone.  Explain to me how they can have a camp for two weeks and not know anything about how Italy/Armenia were going to play.

• Like it 1

12 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

All this because the players  half @$$ed it against Armenia.....if you're gonna get Ouzounides you might as well keep Angelo. Ouzou is really hopeless at in game tactics and while he did ok at smaller clubs (Panionios, Xanthi) he flopped at AEK and did a very average job at PAO playing the "timio palikari" to the end.

The truth is that Angelo (and I'm not a fan of his) has been hung out to dry by the players before even getting a chance. You can say what you will about his decisions and call ups but the only real damage done to the campaign so far is the loss to Armenia and as I stated before, its entirely on the players.....the team beat Lichtenstein, drew Bosnia, lost (as expected) to Italy and lost 3 points to Armenia (THE PLAYERS FAULT) and now he's being crucified by all the press so he can get canned. Something stinks about this scenario and as much as I like Sokratis as a player, his behavior after the match makes him seem unworthy of being a captain....he could have discussed things with Angelo and the EPO before pulling the rug  out from under him. If they had won the game against Armenia (which they should have been able to do even without a coach) then no one would have said a peep....so 1 game lost with the blame squarely on the players and he's gonna get the boot....that's real nice.

Can you really say all this after everything that's come out in the last week? 

Ange got hung out to dry? What game did you watch? He can't even recognize what decisions to make in game, or who should or shouldn't be on together. He played Samaris 4 straight games, it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that was wrong. The guys another skibbe, doesn't watch game tape on his own players or the opponents, clueless in game decision making. We all have eyes and saw the moves he was making in game. 

The media isn't just magically all over him, they're all over him cause he's out to lunch in every way imaginable. Sokratis has had enough of 2 dollar coaches ruining the morale of the team and playing undeserving players or playing players out of position, then sitting them when they struggle out of position. 

This idiot played stafylidis against Italy who has barley played games lately instead of koutris who starts every week, and he played musical goalkeepers for 3 games. 

Let's not forget that the first thing this knob did, was come in and lose to Estonia, and he made stupid subs in that game as well. He took off masouras who was the only bright spot on the wing that game. And speaking of wing, he still to this point hasn't played 2 true wingers on at the same time in a formation that requires it. So the players are playing on their back foot from the start. He can't even recognize that the midfield struggles every game cause he has too many like players in dm who can't distribute. 

Yes its on the players to beat Armenia ect, but when you have a coach that won't allow the deserving players to play or play sensible tactics, team morale plummets. 

Edited by gsots
  • Like it 2

Ang needs to go for more reason then the starting line up the guy is unstable..

A few examples.

-Starts players in a position they are not use too. Example Siovis told the coach he’s never played that position and doesn’t feel comfortable but the coach ignored him.

-Saying we lost because Armenians might be better people then the Greeks and god gave them the win.

-Instead of watching video of how Armenia play he put a champions league match on. 

-When Socrates asked the coach how does he want them to defend set pieces the coach said “god will decide”

-He almost came to blows with his goalie coach and assists during the Armenia game..

-He said he doesn’t believe in positions players can play everywhere.

-he choose not bring Toro or Mitro and used an experimental line up against Italy.

-He’s used 3 different goalies in his last 3 games. How can someone build chemistry with the team.

-Since his been coach the team has allowed 9 goals against in his last 3 games. Which goes to show you based on the above information that his team is not prepared and the players are left to make decisions last second on the field.. 

I saw positive signs at the beginning when this coach first got hired but I was way off this guy is nuts and has no business coaching this team. He is a a guy that hasn’t coached a competitive game in 5 years, he has no sense of the modern football game and he leaves a lot of what happens to “god”. He needs to go ASAP. I’m not going to Bash anyone on this form like some people do for having an opinion but guys you can’t possibly think this guy deserves anymore chances..

• Like it 4

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

A few examples.

-Starts players in a position they are not use too. Example Siovis told the coach he’s never played that position and doesn’t feel comfortable but the coach ignored him.

-Saying we lost because Armenians might be better people then the Greeks and god gave them the win.

-Instead of watching video of how Armenia play he put a champions league match on. 

-When Socrates asked the coach how does he want them to defend set pieces the coach said “god will decide”

-He almost came to blows with his goalie coach and assists during the Armenia game..

-he choose not bring Toro or Mitro and used an experimental line up against Italy.

-He’s used 3 different goalies in his last 3 games. How can someone build chemistry with the team.

-Since his been coach the team has allowed 9 goals against in his last 3 games. Which goes to show you based on the above information that his team is not prepared and the players are left to make decisions last second on the field.. 

I saw positive signs at the beginning when this coach first got hired but I was way off this guy is nuts and has no business coaching this team. He is a a guy that hasn’t coached a competitive game in 5 years, he has no sense of the modern football game and he leaves a lot of what happens to “god”. He needs to go ASAP. I’m not going to Bash anyone on this form like some people do for having an opinion but guys you can’t possibly think this guy deserves anymore chances..

Great post dude! 

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, J1078 said:

A few examples.

I personally like Ange and I thought things were going to take a positive turn after that great second half at Bosnia. I can't understand what he was thinking in the Italy match by playing Fortounis up at striker with no one to support him just rendered him useless and was no threat to the Italians. Starting Barkas (although he was good) made no sense as he's not the first choice Gk and then instead of starting him vs Armenia he puts in vlachodimos and the goalie carousel continues. When I heard the players say they did not watch any game film on Armenia but watched the CL final I couldn't believe it. 

Anyways the EPO should have done a more thorough coaching search after they fired Skibbe to bring in a more suitable coach. 

• Like it 1

5 hours ago, J1078 said:

???? Are you in earnest? (I guess you are.) If this is true, the man ought to be certified. LOL

Probably just my pessimism but I think we are really downplaying how broke EPO is. They will hire a coach that they can afford and my guess is it will be a coach that probably would look under qualified for a League 1 team in England or a lower level team in Greece. 

40 minutes ago, La Mendel said:

Did you see Bakasetas was sold to Alanyaspor (team of Tzavellas)? I hope he wont get a call-up while he is playing for such an average Turkish team.

He better not get a call up period. Absolute garbage player who adds literally nothing to this team, no offense, no defense.... Just a dud. 

Edited by gsots
  • Like it 2

@AchillesHeel ok fair enough about staf I didn't know he played 2nd half of the season. I was just going on what I was reading and hearing, but I should have taken a look. I actually don't mind him, I just thought he was inform, but it was tough to tell in that game cause everyone looked out of sorts.

To the point about the wingers though, yes he did, but without a true striker on the field or anyone who could get the ball up to them from the dm, so we can't really count that. Fortou, Mas and kolovos were on the lonely island that game lol

On 6/17/2019 at 10:21 PM, AchillesHeel said:

Awesome 

14 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

Staf was out the first half of the season with injury but started regularly in the 2nd half (14 games)....he didn't do too well against Italy so Koutris started against Armenia.....he sucked @$$ also.....hopefully Lykogiannis gets a call up because he's a much more balanced player than the other 2. 

He played Masouras-Kolovos against Italy and we saw how successful that was. 

He asked Siovas if he could play RB and Siovas said he couldn't and that's why he played him at CDM a position he has played before.....a dumb move by Anastasiadis which created 2 problems instead of correcting one.

It was a trainer and the goalie coach who got into it and Anastasiadis intervened to cool them off.

Yes he said that and has done it at PAOK beating Oly with Salpi playing RB....don't know what to say about this one....

He used Pasxalakis against Turkey and lost, used Barkas against Italy and lost so he tried Vlaxodimos against Armenia and lost....its not like anybody put in a great performance and then got screwed over....none of them were able to win a game.

Do you really believe the way the team is playing atm that Toro or Mitro would have made a difference? Torosidis with a knee injury since the start of March and appeared for 8 min in the last game of the season so he must be in tip top shape right? Or Mitroglou who also was injured and hasn't been getting playing time or scoring goals since leaving Benfica. My opinion: if you don't play regularly at club level you shouldn't get a call up....most members of this forum complained about this with Skibbe, Santos and Otto.

The leaky defence started right after Santos was driven off the team and the only constant in this is Manolas/Papastathopoulos....they are the ones who bind the back line and no NT coach is gonna teach them how to defend.

I can't believe I'm defending Anastasiadis but if you step back and look at the big picture the only bad result he got was against Armenia when he fielded a very reasonable line up and the players simply failed to produce....I'm pretty sure he tries to prime them and get them up before the match because that's always been his style and yet they come out looking like they just woke up and need a coffee before getting started. Its the players' mentality at this point that has to come into question....the coach can't run or kick the ball for them and if you believe that in the game against Armenia we lost because of Anastasiadis you're kidding yourself.

You made a couple good points, but I want to touch on a couple of the other things. 

Not all players can play anywhere on the the pitch, that's just a straight ignorant statement from him, as is putting the game in God's hands... Putting salpi isn't soem incredible tactic, he already plays the right side, so he just moved him back and asked him to be a bit more d minded, salpi is a vet so it wasn't a mind blowing concept for him. Looking at all his call ups and asking siovas of all players to play rb is straight f'd. Playing a lb at rb would have made more sense at that point. 

Rb didn't even end up being our issue in that game, we had no connection between the mids and our forwards who were left out to dry, by who? Our coach! The Italian were coming at us in waves, and we couldn't sustain possession. So seeing all that, he subs on a rb and another dm lol yup, that oughta solve the ball possession problem. So I guess we needed to defend our 3 goal lead at that point? Guess there wasn't a need to switch the tactics at all right? or bring out a couple players to assist the attack? God had us covered, the Italians were more God worthy that day as well. Nothing to do with continuously sticking too many dm's on the field. 

I don't care about the musical goalies, cause it really didn't matter who was in net with the chances we were giving up. 

No hes not at fault for the players individually, but yes he's very much at fault for who he fields and weather or not they're able to assist in attack or how they're able to distribute the ball. 

The points you did make made sense, but for some reason you fail to mention anything about his tactics or subs/decisions on player personnel, which are all in his hands. 

Losing 2-0 to Armenia at ht, it doesn't make sense to keep the dms in tact, especially if your job is on the line, but like clock work, he took off pelkas. Then subs a dm for a dm down 3-1 lol guess he thought Greece was up 3-1?

Its 2019, you can't play 2 tall oafs at cdm who can't distribute and hope to get results. And you can't try to stack a wall against itlay, they will come in waves and eventually bag one, doesn't matter how good your d is, you cant sustain that for 90. You put 3 tall oafs at dm in the Italy, is anyone surprised they broke us down, or that we couldn't get the ball up to the forwards...or excuse me, just fortou cause Mas and Kol were running back and forth defending so they weren't even up there with him. 

Like honestly if you're gonna make an argument for him, don't be selective and cherry pick only certain thing and leave out everything else, cause then it just falls short. 

• Like it 3

It reflects very badly on people of Greek nationality that on the sporting landscape at least, that they can play like cowards especially against Italy. Its not what our ancestory was founded on. Should replace the coach and blacklist 6-8 players, including the main Centre Backs that have been making alot of noise lately, along with the Right Back and Centre Forward that didn't get picked. Time to usher in a new dawn, with initial pain during this World Cup cycle. 

Edited by ausgreek

The coach needs to go ASAP and if with a new coach the results and drama continue then time to clean house get rid of everyone and start playing younger guys.. At the end of the day I would rather lose and get embarrassed with younger guys that may have some potential then watching these guys lose every time they play..

EPO just confirmed they will play at Oaka for the entire qualifier.. wow how embarrassing we don’t even have a home field.. lol Oaka is like we are playing on the road..

• Like it 1

17 minutes ago, J1078 said:

The coach needs to go ASAP and if with a new coach the results and drama continue then time to clean house get rid of everyone and start playing younger guys.. At the end of the day I would rather lose and get embarrassed with younger guys that may have some potential then watching these guys lose every time they play..

EPO just confirmed they will play at Oaka for the entire qualifier.. wow how embarrassing we don’t even have a home field.. lol Oaka is like we are playing on the road..

Exactly! Let an actual coach come in and inject proper tactics and strategy, and if it doesn't work, then in comes Patrick Swayze from road house to clean house lol

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ausgreek said:

It reflects very badly on people of Greek nationality that on the sporting landscape at least, that they can play like cowards especially against Italy. Its not what our ancestory was founded on. Should replace the coach and blacklist 6-8 players, including the main Centre Backs that have been making alot of noise lately, along with the Right Back and Centre Forward that didn't get picked. Time to usher in a new dawn, with initial pain during this World Cup cycle. 

I honestly don’t know who we should get rid of. To me the first person should be Samaris. Reason being he has been given too many chances and isn’t trustworthy. It’s been 5 years and we’ve only won 14 games. He can be on the bench for now. 

I like Masouras , I think he has something to offer. His determination and work rate is great and is needed in this team. We shouldn’t be criticising him as he still has room for improvement.

Stafylidis is not the best defender. But he can be reliable outside the box and set pieces. Shouldn’t really be our starter. I don’t fully trust him yet. Koutris has lots of speed and can whip them in well. He needs time but I believe he will be useful for us in the long term. Lykogiannis was great when given chances I don’t know why he hasn’t been given another.

I would like for Torosidis to step down but there is no one who can fill that RB spot. No one is good enough so Torosidis has to  stay. 

Mantalos and Pelkas can only excel in one role. As Fortounis is our best attacking player. The areas of concern for me are at RB, ST and CM. 

Id like to we add we haven’t got quality wingers. As this I believe is the reason why we are so bad in attack. I don’t know why Lamprou and Limnios haven’t been tried yet as they are true wingers. They might be young and raw but your better off trying someone who actually plays that role. 

To conclude Samaris should not start anymore. Bakasetas should be out. No questions there. I would give Galanopoulos and either Lamprou/Chatzigiovannis a chance to see if they are upgrades in positions we need improving in. 

This team should be tried.

Vlachodimos

Retsos/Torosidis Manolas Sokratis Koutris

Galanopoulos Kourbelis 

Chatzigiovannis Fortounis Masouras

Donis

This team has good balance and actual wingers. Retsos can fill in at RB of need be. I’d like to see how Donis would do with actual wingers supporting him. Koutris attacking play is needed. Zeca can come off the bench. Kourbelis and Galanopoulos can do the heavy lifting as I believe they could work well together. Both seem not afraid to make runs forward too. 

• Like it 2

Great call on Samaris, Deano. I remember when I played team sport, in my day it was in another code, although, soccer/football has become my favourite sport in the last 8-10 years. I would look around before we play a match, and I would subtly indentify a team mate who I feel glad is in my team along side me and I would gain confidence from that.

Who would Greek players basically turn around and say I am glad he is alongside me today in this match cause he gives 100% so I will play better as well? If this man can be indentified, He should be the DM in the team cause He can be a match winner or game changer. This is your DM player. Socceroos, for their lack or World Class talent, would indentify their recently retired captain Jedinak as this guy. He intimidated classier opposition players. A screener defending your CB's and goalie, someone that can make a difference. Who is that for the Galanolefki? This is Not Samaris, not a game changer, as Tzioli$ was not either..what a passenger. Could it be Siopis or Galanopoulos or a recycled Taxi with an extended go at it?

The young guys like Masouras would rise to the occasion and improve plenty. I saw some highlights of Lazaros Lamprou to see what the hype is all about, he is outstanding, a natural goalscorer. If your good enough, your old enough. Like your inclusion af Galanopoulos too. I know who the right person is for RB, the player identified that gives 100% in this position. Then  just back him, who are we willing to see develope in this position?

What concerns me also, is that Fortounis plays wholeheartedly with the captain's armband. If Toro comes back, I would keep Fortounis as captain cause its more important your AM is firing over your RB to be firing. It would be great if they are all firing, true. So, if Toro is kept out, or play but not as the captain will Sok and Manolas cope with this and play at their best? We might have to endure some more pain, even with a new coach. No more excuses for these experienced players, they got their way with another coach coming in.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2019 at 7:09 AM, gsots said:

But Otto also wouldn't look for players outside the big 4 clubs on Greece, and that hurt us too. 

Maybe this could help now. Stick to Olympiacos/PAOK/AEK/Atromitos players. I dont think others could contribute much. Even some of these are not of much use (think of Bakasetas only, he was an AEK player and has always been hopeless).

• Like it 1