Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Blackhawk

4 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

I’m all for Stelios Traianos or Ouzounidis. Just not the Australian guy or any other foreigner. 

? you realise the “Australian” guy has much more experience than those 3

Guys I’ll be honest I don’t know much about the Australian coach what is everyone’s thoughts on this guy? I think I would rather get a foreign coach with some good pedigree but as I read the EPO doesn’t have money to spend on a top rated coach.. It seems to me like we are going to be scratching the bottom of the barrel looking for someone that will come here on the cheap..

I don't know how real the Postecoglou rumors are, in fact I don't think they are but he is a good coach, he has Australia playing good football and had good club success too but again... don't think it will happen, wont be a bad thing if it did

Jimmyp we currently have Basinas and Stelios both from euro 2004 team and it ain't doing jack s%$#! for us. We also had Karagounis when Markarian was coach and where did that get us? When the players stop playing for the coach which is what it looks like happened here ain't nothing the technical director or assistant coach gonna do to change it. I say we go with Jimenez first choice and the Australian second choice.

• Like it 1

@Makynia Exactly.. I don’t think having someone from the 2004 team as a head coach will benefit us at all.. we don’t need someone that is going to try and play the way they played in 2004 the game has changed and we don’t have the personalities now that they had back then.. Today’s game is not about sitting back and absorbing all the pressure as good teams will break you down now a days. We need a new coach that is going to preach ball movement and get some speedboat into the line up. Considering the EPO’s budget is very small for a coach I see us getting another journeyman coach who’s just looking for a pay day.. 

I just don’t think the Australian guy is the right choice. This is Europe. The best soccer is played there. This coach only knows how to coach houseleague in Japan and coach against Fiji and Iraq and Solomon Islands. 

How about a guy from 2004 with complete control. Not an assistant. The guys you mentioned are assistants not heads. Too bad they can’t afford anyone good. 

Pretty sad that even 2004 guys are not respected but at the same time, I thought Stelios and Basinas would have helped create chemistry and moral or work with Anastasiadis to get things in order, from what has been reported this has been the most unorganized campaign ever but that does not add up as a training session was called with a couple of friendlies before the two games with Italy and Armenia, so why would Anastasiadis and co do that but have no plan what so ever for that time in Holland... 

The other part is our players have become pre-madonas and the dressing room is really back to the dark ages but heavily due to ego not club affiliation, a lot of this does not make sense., I am sure there is details we dont know. 

Anastasiadis said great things before hand but his erratic player choices and tactics look to have back fired, but again, are our players that undisciplined that the first sight of hard work turned them against the coach? There has to much more to all this

• Like it 2

To non-Greek/Aussies, Ange P won the title as captain of a team named South Melbourne, the Greek population in Melbourne as a city is the largest outside of Athens. He  was an excellent CB but blew his knee I believe and retired in his mid-late twenties. He coached Brisbane  in the Aleague to multiple titles, got the national job and coached (with short preperation) at the World Cup 2014..that alone is a great experience. Wasn't looked after enough by the Australian EPO named FFA, and so when Socceroos qualified for 2018, he then went to Yokahama instead of his second World Cup in 2018. He would of done better than Bert Van Marwijk did-no idea honestly.

When Greece came out a couple of year ago, Ange was walking out the tunnel for the second half of one of the two matches they had vs Socceroos, he was talking to Samaris and Sokratis another time I believe, he knows most Greek players well. There is a strong desire for him to coach Ethniki at a reduced contract.

This guy knows how to coach 3 at the back with quick wingbacks or four at the back. He like coaching players with speed as much as reasonably possible (Jedinak had different qualities. He chopped up attacking raids beautifully and intimidated offenses, regardless of the fact he wasn't the most accurate passer on the counter attack).

The fact Ange P has vision and speaks fluent Greek and has a great knowledge of the Greek Super League, speaks volumes. He also coached Socceroos on tour in Asia and in England and where they lost 1-0; He has more on his resume that Ouzounidis and Dellas. I would back him in to do a fine job if he was chosen. I think EPO will go for Ouzounidis personally. 

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 2
  • Thanks 2

I would take him and as a SM Hellas fan I would welcome it.

What we need is someone that can step into the fold and bring a semblance of stability to the friggin squad. Someone that can get the best from the players. Identify the best Greek players, by skill and speed for each position. I’m sure half the people on this forum can do that. Decide on a formation, give the inexperienced players roles and only play the ones that are ready. A good coach would know who can and who can’t. We need to find 2 players one on the left and one on the right of Fortounis that can play with him. Not Bakasetas, not Pelkas and not Masouras. Pelkas is a backup and Masouras a sub for now. It’s time to look at L. Lamprou, Limnios.

Masouras has shown glimpses but lacks a clear head. E.g. shoots when he should pass and passes when he should shoot. This isn’t good for a forward. He also shuts his eyes when going for headers and the ball hits his shoulders or he misses it completely. He needs to work on his deficiencies otherwise he won’t succeed at international level or at Oly.

We need to sort out the midfield and our DM has to play as a DM. This position is killing us. If Samaris, Zeca or Kourbelis cannot, then bring in someone that can. When Soc started he was a DM.

DM is the link between defence and attack, it’s a role that requires speed and concentration. It’s the role that thwarts the opposition attacking play. It is ideally suited to a mentally tough, intelligent and fit player. Not half injured, lazy and clueless players. This player must work closely with the coach and vise-versa. A good coach must have a good understanding of what he wants from the DM. He must be trusted. Anything less is unacceptable.

Think about the last game and who was marking Mkhartarian. No one.

Gekas wasn’t playing but was getting called up. I remember we beat Latvia 5-2 and he was not playing for 6mths and scored 3. You can call up some players like this that are proven as long as they are fit. In our case we need to do this where there are no other options. Some players you call up because they are the best you got. Mitroglou and Torosidis should have been called. Mitroglou was not injured just not playing enough. They are 30 and 32 respectively and are not yet finished. Nor is Soc. We need these guys as they give us experience and stability. It doesn’t matter Mitroglou doesn’t touch the ball. He is better than anything else we got for now and commands respect on the field. Koulouris is ok but inexperienced. He is young and can be used as a sub for now. If Mitroglou injured then Koulouris is next best option. Donis is perfect on the right or as the 2nd forward in a 4 4 2 formation. Any half brain coach would understand this.

Just my thoughts

• Like it 1

31 minutes ago, kbxk508 said:

I would take him and as a SM Hellas fan I would welcome it.

What we need is someone that can step into the fold and bring a semblance of stability to the friggin squad. Someone that can get the best from the players. Identify the best Greek players, by skill and speed for each position. I’m sure half the people on this forum can do that. Decide on a formation, give the inexperienced players roles and only play the ones that are ready. A good coach would know who can and who can’t. We need to find 2 players one on the left and one on the right of Fortounis that can play with him. Not Bakasetas, not Pelkas and not Masouras. Pelkas is a backup and Masouras a sub for now. It’s time to look at L. Lamprou, Limnios.

Masouras has shown glimpses but lacks a clear head. E.g. shoots when he should pass and passes when he should shoot. This isn’t good for a forward. He also shuts his eyes when going for headers and the ball hits his shoulders or he misses it completely. He needs to work on his deficiencies otherwise he won’t succeed at international level or at Oly.

We need to sort out the midfield and our DM has to play as a DM. This position is killing us. If Samaris, Zeca or Kourbelis cannot, then bring in someone that can. When Soc started he was a DM.

DM is the link between defence and attack, it’s a role that requires speed and concentration. It’s the role that thwarts the opposition attacking play. It is ideally suited to a mentally tough, intelligent and fit player. Not half injured, lazy and clueless players. This player must work closely with the coach and vise-versa. A good coach must have a good understanding of what he wants from the DM. He must be trusted. Anything less is unacceptable.

Think about the last game and who was marking Mkhartarian. No one.

Gekas wasn’t playing but was getting called up. I remember we beat Latvia 5-2 and he was not playing for 6mths and scored 3. You can call up some players like this that are proven as long as they are fit. In our case we need to do this where there are no other options. Some players you call up because they are the best you got. Mitroglou and Torosidis should have been called. Mitroglou was not injured just not playing enough. They are 30 and 32 respectively and are not yet finished. Nor is Soc. We need these guys as they give us experience and stability. It doesn’t matter Mitroglou doesn’t touch the ball. He is better than anything else we got for now and commands respect on the field. Koulouris is ok but inexperienced. He is young and can be used as a sub for now. If Mitroglou injured then Koulouris is next best option. Donis is perfect on the right or as the 2nd forward in a 4 4 2 formation. Any half brain coach would understand this.

Just my thoughts

Very interesting. I don’t think Samaris can be trusted anymore at DM. Kourbelis I think is better. Zeca needs to be running and harassing players. Depending on the formation we should give Bouchalakis more chances than Samaris. He’s got more to offer especially in shooting. 

The problem with Greece is that they don’t want to build on what was good. Eg. Euro2004. We should’ve built on it. Any coach we get now is pointless. Especially considering the options. If I had to choose, Ange.P would be my choice. I just feel he would do a great job and I believe he is better than Anastasiadis.

Edited by Dean97

1 hour ago, Dean97 said:

Very interesting. I don’t think Samaris can be trusted anymore at DM. Kourbelis I think is better. Zeca needs to be running and harassing players. Depending on the formation we should give Bouchalakis more chances than Samaris. He’s got more to offer especially in shooting. 

The problem with Greece is that they don’t want to build on what was good. Eg. Euro2004. We should’ve built on it. Any coach we get now is pointless. Especially considering the options. If I had to choose, Ange.P would be my choice. I just feel he would do a great job and I believe he is better than Anastasiadis.

Ange would know how to start to fix this mess, he would strip it right back and make the right choices. He is not afraid to end a career or two alittle early and bring in youth. Hopefully, bring it on!

Do you think Kourbelis or Galanopoulos maybe at DM? Not only that...Pelkas, Mantalos OR Bouzoukis as back up to Fortounis? Heard Bouzou is a real terrior, a worker and very fast.

Edited by ausgreek

It depends. Galanopoulos would be good in holding possession and can press well. I would’ve paired them both in a 4-2-3-1. Samaris hasn’t performed since forever. Zeca is a work horse and you can count on him to chase all day. His passing range though isn’t good enough. I’m not sure if it’s the system or the players. Most likely the players. 

Bouzoukis is great. Can pass really well and works very hard as you said. He has got a bit of Modric style of play. He isn’t very fast but good enough. He had good and power in his shots. I would like to see him work with Fortounis and see how they combine. 

14 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

Yeah but I don’t think he will succeed. 

Why shouldn't Postecoglou succeed?

I think he could turn the Ethniki around. He doesn't have that Greek mentality, yet he is Greek, already managed in Greece before, had a decent run with Australia. 

We need somebody who won't take no s%$#! from the players, teach them discipline. 

Could he be our new Rehhagel? I don't know. But he'd be a better coach than everyone we've had since Ranieri.

18 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

There is clear explanation. They sabotaged the national team on purpose to get their way.

You could be right here. And if Angelos stays, he should NOT nominate those anymore. 

Edited by LaputanMachine

The only thing I worry about Postecoglou is that he likes to play attacking football and we don't have the players for that.  The last time someone tried that was with Ranieri and we all know how that turned out.  I don't blame the senior players for acting the way they did, they are professionals, being unprepared for a big game in not acceptable.  Asking Siovas to play left back 1 hr before that game when he never played that position is crazy.

• Like it 1

25 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

The only thing I worry about Postecoglou is that he likes to play attacking football and we don't have the players for that.  The last time someone tried that was with Ranieri and we all know how that turned out.  I don't blame the senior players for acting the way they did, they are professionals, being unprepared for a big game in not acceptable.  Asking Siovas to play left back 1 hr before that game when he never played that position is crazy.

Ange P changed from four at the back to three and beefed up the midfield. Socceroos took an age to master this philosophy due to lack of finishing in the front third and wrong options taken with the back three., but got there, the World Cup 2018, the long way. At Yokahama, he opted to use four at the back as it was the most suitable option there. He was abit too advanced in ideas for the Socceroos at the time.

Greece may well adapt to this better, and definitely more so than Ange A's philosophy. Ange P will pick the right players in their rightful positions. He won't ask Siovas to play LB only one hour before kick off. Instead, they will work on the new formations repeatedly till they wake up and have it with their cereal in the mornings.

Donis,  Mitroglou and Lamprou/Limnios or Chatzigiovannis, are more than capable as a front third than Leckie Juric and Kruse were (thankfully that roos front third has changed). The Greek back four with a firing Toro, Manolas, Sokratis, and Koutris/Lykogiannis, or, back three with  Manolas, Sokatis and Toro, with two Fast wingbacks should get there in reasonable time. This may suit Toro better cause his role would be as a left CB rather than in a quick LB role.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 2

13 hours ago, Alphonse said:

Pretty sad that even 2004 guys are not respected but at the same time, I thought Stelios and Basinas would have helped create chemistry and moral or work with Anastasiadis to get things in order, from what has been reported this has been the most unorganized campaign ever but that does not add up as a training session was called with a couple of friendlies before the two games with Italy and Armenia, so why would Anastasiadis and co do that but have no plan what so ever for that time in Holland... 

The other part is our players have become pre-madonas and the dressing room is really back to the dark ages but heavily due to ego not club affiliation, a lot of this does not make sense., I am sure there is details we dont know. 

Anastasiadis said great things before hand but his erratic player choices and tactics look to have back fired, but again, are our players that undisciplined that the first sight of hard work turned them against the coach? There has to much more to all this

Things have gone south since March when Greece fought hard and came back to draw Bosnia and everything was looking positive. Then this last week we lost in an uninspired effort to Italy and we gave up another 3 goals to Armenia although going forward we put pressure on them and at least could have tied the game.

Everyone from EPO, the coach and the players are to blame. I want friendly games but why the heck did the EPO schedule a friendly with Turkey and in turkey. Also knowing that we were missing some key players, there's no such thing as a friendly with turkey. That loss gave us negative vibe going into the two qualifiers. 

Also as many here have said what was Ange doing and saying to the majority of the players at the training camp in Holland. I thought it would help the team especially to work on the defensive aspect to our game but they come out and again conceed early goals to the Turks and then give up three in the first half of the Italy match and then inexplicably were down two to Armenia of all teams at home no less. 

Greece have a good pool of players I'm not saying we the France, Belgium or Spains but we have players to take 2nd place in this group and to push Italy. Some of the players with there huge egos are willing to mess up a chance for the European Championship over petty differences with the coach and it has just cost us at least three vital points. I hope they all get there s%$#! together and reconvene with clear heads for September and we can definitely go and beat Finland they are not some huge footballing nation. They are playing disciplined right now but they have never qualified for any tournament and with the pressure on them they will fold.. 

5 hours ago, LaputanMachine said:

You could be right here. And if Angelos stays, he should NOT nominate those anymore. 

Yes, but I don't think he will stay. EPO is split in the middle (8-8) and the deciding ninth vote to break the deadlock belongs to the president of Superleague, who will vote with the Olympiakos/AEK block. That block wants to bring their own people (Ouzounidis, Dellas, etc.) to the coaching staff so they can control on what is happening with the national team and set their own agenda at EPO (kicking out foreign refs, eliminating VAR, etc).

As for the 3 that sabotaged the NT, if I was a coach coming to the NT I would not call them up either. After all if they did such thing in the past, what is stopping them from doing it in the future.  The players can't run the team. Their job is to perform on the field.

If the game was lost on purpose to make a point it wasn’t only the 3 players involved as only Soctrates played as Monolas and Toro didn’t play so there must have been more players involved that were actually playing...

Evangelos Grammenos went against the majority of Greek players wishes, and appointed Anastasiadis as coach last year according to Agona sports. The coach has failed to gain the trust of the senior players in particular. How can the EPO hire a coach without the blessing of Torosidis, Sokratis, Manolas, and Fortounis, the senior core group ffs??

Why are the EPO a pure Wank fest??  Everyone invests alot of energy and emotion into this team we all support, they play like s%$#!, then we all find out what a fat turd Grammenos is because of this very reason. Ange A obviously can't coach!

Decisions made that are full of self interest and corruption. Fancy not consulting your most influential players about the next coach, then the players are expected to buy into this new regime. We all think the players are all systems go to win a match, yet little do we know till it all comes out later, that the players are unhappy and operating at 50% so they couldn't defeat Melbourne Victory currently, let alone Italy or Armenia. Not waking up at 4am for these cats again till I know the team are operating at 100%. I don't have trust in this team now cause I don't know how they feel behind the scenes, which will determine how hard they try. Fark them off for a while till they win.

• Like it 2

9 minutes ago, ausgreek said:

Evangelos Grammenos went against the majority of Greek players wishes, and appointed Anastasiadis as coach last year according to Agona sports. The coach has failed to gain the trust of the senior players in particular. How can the EPO hire a coach without the blessing of Torosidis, Sokratis, Manolas, and Fortounis, the senior core group ffs??

Why are the EPO a pure Wank fest??  Everyone invests alot of energy and emotion into this team we all support, they play like s%$#!, then we all find out what a fat turd Grammenos is because of this very reason. Ange A obviously can't coach!

Decisions made that are full of self interest and corruption. Fancy not consulting your most influential players about the next coach, then the players are expected to buy into this new regime. We all think the players are all systems go to win a match, yet little do we know till it all comes out later, that the players are unhappy and operating at 50% so they couldn't defeat Melbourne Victory currently, let alone Italy or Armenia. Not waking up at 4am for these cats again till I know the team are operating at 100%. I don't have trust in this team now cause I don't know how they feel behind the scenes, which will determine how hard they try. Fark them off for a while till they win.

I know how you feel man. I had to wake up at 4am too and see this garbage. We play like we don’t have a real plan. We need structure and discipline. Only a real can offer these things. It shouldn’t be an excuse to not play well because of EPO and there bs. We haven’t got the funds to get a real coach. We need real change and I hope it comes quick for the sake of the team and country.

• Like it 1

Hey Deano, I think Tsipras should pull funds out of his orofis and get involved, including finishing the team's centre of excellence too.. Greece have paid back their osterity loans to Germany I read to my surprise, the economy improved above expectation, with a long way to go mind you, finally the government discovered that they can collect imcome and company taxes and pay debts.

A decent coach approved by the core group of players is all that is needed. What I'm spewing about is that we bother to support and pick our teams on this site and these guys are playing at 50%. 

Portugal and Italy have their economies up their arses too but they can still pull a win out. Portugal have 10 million population, yet they can still be a footballing world force. Alot of South American countries, people don't have proper food or eat what the horses eat, yet the Greeks play like schoolboys and are coached by old uncle Spiro from up the street! Fark!!

• Haha 1

The game wasn’t lost on purpose. The game was lost because they are bad. Very bad. Let’s not start with the excuses. They are a horrible team. Plain and simple. They lost to other horrible teams before this guy was coach. 

And one guy mentioned ang p likes speed. If this is true, this certainly isn’t the job for him. This might be the slowest team I have ever seen.