Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Blackhawk

I read the Sokratis interview. Regardless of how good they are or not he was wrong. Very wrong to say that they don’t have the good players needed to be strong. If I were on the team and had to play with this guy, I’d lose all respect for him. 

• Like it 1

34 minutes ago, AEK RE GAMOTO said:

So...any updates?

Is Socrates missing the first game?

Is Manolas out against Bosnia?

Socrates- out vs Liechtenstein and 50/50 vs Bosnia

Manolas -Out for both games 

Edited by J1078

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

Thanks for the update bro.

Manolas out against Bosnia is a huge blow.

Hopefully the rest of the team steps up their game the way they usually have against tougher opponents in the past (Bosnia and Belgium last time).

• Like it 1

4 hours ago, HellasLEAF said:

Come on boys.  Forget the Nations Cup.  Fresh start.  

The group isn't that bad, we can get in it's definitely possible.  

PAME!!

The UEFA Nations League does serve a purpose for 3 reasons. 
1. To get promoted to a higher league
2. To guarantee a play-off spot in case they don't finish in the top 2 of the qualifying group
3. If they play in League A, they would be playing for a trophy since it is a major competition

4 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

I read the Sokratis interview. Regardless of how good they are or not he was wrong. Very wrong to say that they don’t have the good players needed to be strong. If I were on the team and had to play with this guy, I’d lose all respect for him. 

watch the actual interview you miss a lot of the tone. I wouldn't put what he said that way.

24 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

watch the actual interview you miss a lot of the tone. I wouldn't put what he said that way.

I’m in the fence with this one.. I read the article and saw the video and honestly I’m still not to sure he should have said certain things... I see both sides to be honest..

Kosta Fotune looks like the guy who walks into a bar with a chick, and her ex-boyfriend is there and they all cross paths and she says hello. For one, he is not captain material. He is not up to doing this, with that much discomfort, after every game for the ethniki.

What he says the ethniki will hopefully do, but what they end up doing, are usually two different things. Players talking into a microphone are usually of no value, it is like trying to get a middle aged guy to go clubbing and take ecstasy tablets, weekly. Players grow a personality when they get older, way after retirement.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:43 PM, Ellada2004 said:

O God I hope he doesn’t play Bakasetas, the guy is not in form with AEK and with the NT he has yet to play a decent game.

He has been a wash for the national team. Terrifyingly bad. 

• Like it 1

7 hours ago, GreekLunatic said:

I hope we do well but I think we need a coach that knows the way football is played this decade not someone like anastasiadis. I hope we don't struggle to beat Liechenstein

I'm worried about Anastasiadis because, like Mourinho, his philosophy often doesn't translate to the new generation of footballers. EPO consistently makes grave mistakes.

• Like it 1

12 hours ago, J1078 said:

I would hope Sokratis is ready for Bosnia. I believe he will be. Manolas missing another crucial game. The backline, which is our strongest and deepest position, by far, is also our most fragile. Once again depleted, with the likes of Manolas, Papadopoulos, Retsos, Torosidis, Stafylidis and perhaps Sokratis out. It's becoming a bad joke. 

• Like it 2

On 3/21/2019 at 11:41 PM, Ellada2004 said:

The coach better field the best eleven and don’t take them lightly. Earlier today Scotland got destroyed by light weights Kazakhstan 3-0.

Greece started that trend a couple of years ago with Faroe Islands. 

• Like it 1

Yeah hopefully that Faroe scar burns deep to realize that the qualifiers are often not one in the derbys, but rather winning the games you're supposed to win on paper. I recall losing to Albania in another qualifier and I think it cost us as well. Bosnia did the same dropping points to Cyprus.

Durmishaj being called up to replace the injured Mitroglou. Looks like EPO has received the paper work needed from the Albanian FA, but it's still not 100% he'll be able to play the game. Regardless he's en route to link up with the squad. 

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ellada/ethnikh-elladas-o-ntoyrmisai-sth-thesh-toy-mhtrogloy.5471503.html

Stop calling Mitroglou lazy. Look at his important goals. Of course the problem of having a targetman is that he needs proper service. Fortounis can give it to him but when the whole defence has to focus on 2 players guess what, they re utterly outnumbered. His class is obvious from the fact that he keeps scoring even though he is always marked.
You could see at 2nd goal that Nobody gave a f*ck about Kolovos. They didn't even expect him to do that move he made to get in front of teammate (I think Koulouris) and defender and take the cross for himself. They didn't know his style of play. I don't rate Kolovos, even after that. Even though his header was the defitinion of "it was in from the moment it left his head" type of header. 

Mitroglou needs proper wingers who will run down the opposition and tire the enemy defenders. It's not a matter of laziness, but he always presses opposition when he is asked to.

I am honestly still waiting for that 3-5-2 on our full level. I think the coach is hoping for something like that when we dont have injuries.

Vlachodimos (terrible match for him in my opinion) 2nd goal is 80% his fault even tho the wall was probably just misscommunication, He could still save it he is better than that.

Siovas is a soldier. Good back up for our top 3.
Retsos Manolas and Stafylidis are missing from the defence. Koutris is fine offensively so 3-5-2 suits both of our Left Backs.

I don't like Bakakis. I think he is a player who produces up to 6 and can never get past it.
Sokratis is a leader and a realist. He sais we are s%$#! at this point and the team's efforts prove that we are working our way from the bottom and not the other way around.
Samaris Zeka Kourbelis seem the most decent midfield we ve had the last couple of years. I'd like to see Kourbelis try himself in a better team maybe get a more competitive mentality and confidence, as well as recognition.
Put Mitroglou and Fortounis up front and I think this is our best tam currently with Donis as a SS.

I think a 3-6-1 works great vs better opposition with wingerbacks on the wings. Or 4-4-1-1. But I believe versus teams like Liechtenstein and Armenia we totally need a 4-2-3-1. I would like to see the introduction of Lazaros Lamprou,Bouzoukis, Chatzigiovanis and Lhmnios in the men's side. Second match vs Liectehstein at home we could sort of experiment I guess.

So a 3-6-1 could be like 

Vlachodimos

Retsos - Sokratis -Manolas

Torosidis - Samaris - Zeka - Kourbelis - Stafylidis

Fortounis

Mitroglou

A 4-4-1-1 could be like
Vlachodimos

Toro - Sokratis - Manolas - Stafylidis

Zeka - Samaris Kourbelis - Donis/Stafylidis/Koutris

Fortounis

Mitroglou

And of course a 4-2-3-1 vs weaker opposition (probably needs testing before using - and my personal preference
Vlachodimos 

Toro - Sokratis - Manolas - Stafylidis

Samaris - Zeka 

Masouras/Lamprou - Fortounis - Donis

Mitroglou

I left Kourbe out of the midfield because he is more defensively minded than the others and well, this is more like a lineup vs weak states to secure scoring opportunities and maximum possible pressure against their weak defence.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Thanks 2

I like your ideas @Rockafeller Skank but we played a disjointed 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 in the beginning against Bosnia and we conceded 2 goals very quickly. It was only until we reverted back to our usual 4-2-3-1 that we started to get our rhythm and control of the game. Maybe it was the personnel in that formation in the first 20 minutes that caused us to concede. Bakakis for sure is not good enough. He had only 1 good moment in the game and that’s when he took the ball down from a long from Samaris and low crossed it to Fortounis who skied it infront of goal. 

It’s very important that we press teams higher up the field. We shouldn’t sit back and invite pressure because we conceded 2 goals. We looked more in control when we pressed and fought for possession in a 4-2-3-1. I think the 4-2-3-1 is our best formation. Don’t forget Zeca presses nearly the whole game and assisted the 2nd goal. We are lucky to have him in my opinion. A real workhorse. 

Kourbelis is a good player, I want to see him aswell ina higher level we can do something with him. He deserves a spot in the team somewhere. 

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1