Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Blackhawk

5 minutes ago, J1078 said:

The Epo needs to be smart about this, where do we think the NT can play and actually get homefield advantage where fans will show up? Do we really think Having the games in Crete will fill up the stadium? I mean if we couldn’t get people in Athens will People come out in Crete? I still think Athens is probably the smartest choice IMO.. I’m sick of playing in other teams stadium in front of a full crowd and then when they come play in our home it’s not intimidating at all as it’s empty..

I know where your coming from. But in my opinion the best option would be to play in Crete. New environment and hopefully the fans show up. I feel like they will show especially in a smaller stadium. 

With the fans not turning up in Athens and Piraeus respectively, it goes to show how much this team has dipped in the past 4 years. Especially with corruption and politics behind the scenes. Our players don’t help the situation with bad performances.

• Like it 1

You have to try Crete. 

On other hand, look at the football & results of the current Ethniki... hard to get people to go watch that on any National team, our football on the field is absolutely abysmal

Edited by Alphonse

55 minutes ago, J1078 said:

The Epo needs to be smart about this, where do we think the NT can play and actually get homefield advantage where fans will show up? Do we really think Having the games in Crete will fill up the stadium? I mean if we couldn’t get people in Athens will People come out in Crete? I still think Athens is probably the smartest choice IMO.. I’m sick of playing in other teams stadium in front of a full crowd and then when they come play in our home it’s not intimidating at all as it’s empty..

If a lot of them are going to say these kinds of things and dont want the Ethniki playing at Toumba then the EPO should not go there. Play in Athens, why did they leave the Karaiskaki in the first place? Your right J1078 the NT needs all the home support to help lift the team. This is an unnecessary problem at this time.

• Like it 1

54 minutes ago, Alphonse said:

You have to try Crete. 

On other hand, look at the football & results of the current Ethniki... hard to get people to go watch that on any National team, our football on the field is absolutely abysmal

I get what you are saying but lets be honest when club teams are playing like s%$#! the fans still go but when the NT is playing bad you still need to show up and support them that is no excuse.. It comes down to what you value more and the fans in Greece value their club teams much more then then NT.  I hate when people jump on and off the bandwagon... We all know the state of the team is so frustrating to watch right now but we all do regardless in the hopes that they will figure it out that's why we are on this form to begin with because we give a s%$#! about the NT...  Maybe the EPO really needs to drop the price of tickets for a while in hopes more people come out during the Euro qualifier and then maybe with a few good results you get some people to start believing again and start showing up regularly before you jack up the cost again..  I understand a winning culture and a better product on the filed will eventually sell more tickets and fill up more seats but the lack of support we see in the stands is ridiculous.. Hungary and Finland fill up there stadiums for FFS and they haven't won s%$#!.... 

• Like it 1

^ Good points, first off the NT trumps all club teams. There should be no reason for low attendance especially with the upcoming Euro qualifying, were the NT will be drawn in with 3 decent sides and the importance of these matches. If I was in Greece I would go to every game I could, even if Malta or San Marinos of the world were visiting.

• Like it 1

It’s simple. If your patriotic about your country and passionate about football you show up regardless of how the team plays. It’s disgusting see no fans or barely any. Where’s the pride. We were underdogs in 04 and we won the whole thing. It just doesn’t make sense. I agree there is no excuse to not support your country.

• Like it 1

Guys this has been a problem for years. In Greece the NT is and always has been 2nd to people's clubs. Go watch highlights from our 2010 qualifying campaign, same issue then. People just don't care enough to go watch Greece vs Estonia not in Athens or Thessaloniki at least. Save for the 2006 World Cup qualifiers where we were reigning European champions. Karaiskakis was packed every match

The irony is when we go on a run and get out of the groups (Euro 2012, World Cup 14) People pour onto the streets waving their flags and celebrating, it's just the Greek way. 

• Like it 1

It shouldn’t be like that though. Your country should be first. We should all unite for Greece. @paokarag4 your propably right, it’s a Greek thing. If your going to support the national team you should go all the way. Don’t just go for them in the good times. Be with them through the bad and the good. We are all on this forum because we care too much and as a big fan I don’t agree with just caring about your clubs. 

• Like it 1

in a way though it rewards good behaviour. Think of the Toronto Maple Leafs. They're the richest team in hockey but never win anything. IF people stopped paying for games they'd probably wise up. The communist style NHL though is also to blame. TML should be the Real Madrid of Hockey.

• Like it 1

Right on with that. They went all the way and won Euro 2004 and then had successful run in Euro 2012 getting to the quarters only to lose to Germany and came within penalties of progressing to the 2014 World Cup quarters.

The way we set up as a team and the players that get chosen shows that we should be parking the bus. Samaris, Bouchalakis, Kourbelis and Mantalos are not good enough in attack. Why are we playing a 4-2-3-1. We should be playing 5-4-1 or 5-3-2. We play 2 tall physical players in the midfield all the time. How about switching it up and playing Fortounis or Pelkas in the deep midfield role and play actual wingers. A 4-2-3-1 is a formation that needs creativity from the players and it doesn’t help when most of not all our players are limited as footballers. 

My point is there is no excuse for not showing up and supporting. It shouldn’t matter what style we play eg. Attacking, defensive or balanced. The fans should help the team as much as possible as they are an ingredient in the teams drive and success. I say the fans should start showing up now as this will a good 1st step. The EPO needs an overhaul that’s for sure but let’s do our best with what we got.

Also it’s  actually harder these days to play against Minnows. They all park the bus and make it hard for teams. Also when our attack lacks creativity it also doesn’t help.

Edited by Dean97

@Dean97 good points..  I think the problem all started when Renari came in and said "we want tp play more attacking and attractive football"  he took the entire system the Greek team was known for and accustomed to playing and tried to change their entire style. I truly believe if a coach came in after Santos left and kept the focus on defensive football we would have qualified for the last Euros. It's very clear we need to be an all out defensive team first and stop conceding goals should be step one. I don't think it will matter who we call up as it is very clear we need to go back to that boring defensive style If we want results and to start making tournaments again.. Our players lack creativity offensively and our players look lost. We have the type of player that can all play back and shut it down and then find a goal from a set piece or a counter.. This is the reason we have become so s%$#! in the last 4 years... We got coaches that didn't take the team and continue with the formula that has made this team successful but rather tried to change everything and that's why this team lost their identity.. There where a lot of guys on here and abroad who were complaining that we play ugly football I was one of them but the reality is we need to go back to that style as we can all see now.. Unless a superstar emerges from somewhere we need to play to our strengths which is suffocate teams defensively.. This is why we can squeak out results with teams like Belgium but when we open up offensively we lose to teams like Estonia.. I'm hoping this Euro campaign since we will be the underdogs we may actually be more successful...

Edited by J1078

15 hours ago, georgelaz said:

in a way though it rewards good behaviour. Think of the Toronto Maple Leafs. They're the richest team in hockey but never win anything. IF people stopped paying for games they'd probably wise up. The communist style NHL though is also to blame. TML should be the Real Madrid of Hockey.

No. There’s a salary cap in hockey. If there wasn’t then yes. 

People in Greece don’t have that much money as it is. Why spend it on a s%$#! product. The leafs are a club team not a national team. Toronto is one of the richest cities in the world. People have money to go to the games here. It’s the I’m thing to do. 

I agree with those who say it doesn't matter who we get tomorrow. we need to win and finish at least 2nd. 

But really I know how this will turn out. This is not a overnight fix. We just finished 3rd in a group consisting of Finland, Hungary and Estonia. Dose everyone actually believe we will qualify for the Euros? Lol

We are in pot 4. It's going to be so hard to finish 2nd. We are no where near the pot 1 or pot 2 teams. Even pot 3 teams are way ahead of us.  

Guys be prepared to get use to not Qualifying. It's over. The fat lady has sung. We need help big time. We need change. The FA needs to be cleaned out, investment in facilities and youth. 

I always say look at what portugal did. Greece has to do the same. Yes we won a Euro but it was more luck and playing so defensive that we won. We had some luck in qualifying for some tournaments last 10yrs after 04 because of our rankings due to winning the cup,  But it's over. Portugal is playing for another trophy next June. 

• Like it 1

Desired group in today’s draw: 

Poland 

Czech Republic/Ukraine 

Northern Ireland /Bulgaria 

Greece

Gibraltar (or any team really) 

San Marino (or any team really) 

Let’s hope for the best! Hopefully we don’t get put with Germany from pot 2

Edited by PanagiotisScordis
  • Like it 1