Phantis Forums

Nations League - Game #5 - Greece V. Finland (Olympic Stadium, Athens) - November 15, 2018

Argy

3 minutes ago, Molon Lave said:

Scoring 3 against Finland is tough, their defense has yet to concede one goal. I don't think Greece will top the group even if they get 12 points. 

That’s what i was thinking aswell. Finland have to lose there last match and we have to win to get any sort of chance of topping the group. 

I’m not so concerned about topping the group.. that to be honest is no longer doable... We just need to focus on finding a style to play that can be successful.. The Euro qualifiers will be very difficult but it’s our only chance to make the Euros since we butchered the Nations league.. We are not scoring 3 goals it’s not happening and even if we do we need Finland to lose against Hungary.. They just need to focus on working as a team with a set plan that everyone buys into so they don’t go into the Euro qualifiers lost..

• Like it 2

29 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I’m not so concerned about topping the group.. that to be honest is no longer doable... We just need to focus on finding a style to play that can be successful.. The Euro qualifiers will be very difficult but it’s our only chance to make the Euros since we butchered the Nations league.. We are not scoring 3 goals it’s not happening and even if we do we need Finland to lose against Hungary.. They just need to focus on working as a team with a set plan that everyone buys into so they don’t go into the Euro qualifiers lost..

I agree with that aswell. We need to start being a team again. 

• Like it 1

20 hours ago, Bananas said:

Also, no idea why Karelia has been selected over Lazaros.  Bizarre.

"Δεν παίρνει Χριστοδουλόπουλο για λόγους όχι ποδοσφαιρικούς αλλά για βιολογικούς. Θέλει παίκτες φρέσκους όχι μπαγιάτικους."

http://sportdog.gr/blogs/article/488494/gi-ayto-efage-ton-lazaro-koro-deyei-ton-kosmo-o-palaimaxos-mono-lathos-to-ereipio-toy-paok

12 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Regarding Fetfa. Fetfa and Koulouris play 2 different positions file. What Fetfa can bring to the table is enough for this team. He can put the ball on the plate for our striker. He can take players on with speed. He has flair and skill. The only problem with him is he can’t finish. Koulouris on the other hand can. That is the only good thing with Koulouris is that he can score. His touches and passing aren’t at the level of say Fortounis or Fetfa but is definitely a poacher. He reminds me a bit of Gekas. He is still young and has an impressive tally so far. It depends what you mean by killing it in the GSL. Koulouris is killing by scoring goals but that’s it. If your looking at all round play then Fetfa is the man. Fetfa also had a very impressive game in the Europa League. 

I’m not a huge fan of stats as they can be misleading but if you look at Fetfa he’s back to his usual self.

In a total of 20 possible games for Olympiacos he has played only 3 full games.  The rest is off the bench, 10 minutes here, 5 minutes there.  A total of 1 assist.  Pretty appalling figures.  But I’m not surprised.  This has been par for the course for Fetfa.

If he was such a gun he would’ve played most games for his club team.  Not cameo appearances off the bench.

He’ll be 28 years old next month.  That is peak age.  He should be setting the GSL on fire!  Instead the only thing on fire is the bench he keeps warming.

Other than the Arab league, he’s hardly played one solid season.  Sorry but for me he’s not a proper player.  Far from complete.  Lacks in many parts of his game (hence why manager after manager can’t make it work with him).  He’s a pea heart.

His best move would’ve been to go to a smaller team so he can play every match.  Maybe then he’d get match fit and more importantly mentally fit because I tell you now, mentally he’s not there.  And if he’s not there at 28 years old, he’ll never be there.

As always, if he starts killing it, I’ll be the first to admit it.  But until then, for me, he’s a mid table GSL player.  Panionios level at best, let alone NT.

• Like it 1

I’ve always been a fan of Fetfa his great dribbling and control of the ball, but recently when he has been playing for OLY he has not been consistent. He scored one goal in Europa league which is good but overall during GSL season he has been average. Missed a couple of sitters in a few games. Hopefully he starts playing more and starts putting in better performances because ATM he doesn’t deserve a call up to the NT.

1 hour ago, georgelaz said:

what if we beat finland 3-0 and win our last game too and finland loses their other game? we go through right? highly unliked but curious you never know!

I don’t think we should be holding our breath as it’s a very tall order and need everything to work out perfectly.. But for those who are curious Finland is at +5 we are at -1 so ideally we would want to win 3-0 and then they lose 1-0 or more to Hungary and then we go in on goal differential. We could even win 2-0 and As long as Bulgaria beat them by 2 then we would go through as long as we beat Estonia.. We can take it a step further and say even if we win 1-0 and pump Estonia by 3 or 4 as long as Hungary beats Finland then we can still top the group.. There plenty of scenarios but obviously all long shots..

Edited by J1078

2 hours ago, georgelaz said:

what if we beat finland 3-0 and win our last game too and finland loses their other game? we go through right? highly unliked but curious you never know!

Greece will top the group and promote to League B, but it's very unlikely that will happen. 

The tie-breaking criteria for all Uefa competitions the Nations league included is the head to head record. So us beating Finland 3-0 would give us a better head to head record and if we were to draw level with them on points on the last match day we would come first based on that record. 

If we were to beat them 2-0 it would get a little complicated. Basically it would come down to goal difference because we would be tied in all other tiebreaking criteria's. 
Which are 

1. Superior goal difference in matches played among the teams in question;
  2. Higher number of goals scored in the matches played among the teams in question;
  3. Higher number of goals scored away from home in the matches played among the teams in question;
  • Like it 2

Now, Samaris, Zeca and Kourbelis are 6's. Bouchalakis is a 8.  Who plays as the no.8? If Samaris is paired with Kourbelis or Zeca, who is deepest and who has the stamina for no.8 and link with Fortounis as the 10? Zeca has a big motor. Mantalos or Pelks should be considered here too.  Just seems to be an imbalance with alot of these last few Ethniki coaches.

5 hours ago, Dean97 said:

In all honesty I hope we see a 3-5-2 because that means Bakasetas won’t start. 

Bakasetas is impotent and weak. The worst performer on the current squad. I don't understand how he gets called up, let alone start. 

Lazaros gets left out for him ?

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

Agonasport predicts this line up below.. I hope not.. don’t want Bakasetas there..

Possible line-up: Vlachodimos, Torosidis, Papastathopoulos, Manolas, Giannoulis, Zeca, Kourbelis, Pelkas, Fortounis, Bakasetas, Mitroglou.

Looks great with the exception of Bakasetas.

πιθανότερο είναι πως η εθνική θα παίξει με 4-2-3-1. Με τον Βλαχοδήμο κάτω από τα γκολπόστ, στην αμυντική διάταξη τους Τοροσίδη, Μανωλά, Παπασταθόπουλο, Κούτρη,  δυο αμυντικούς χαφ (Κουρμπέλης, Ζέκα), τριάδα μπροστά τους οι Φορτούνης, Πέλκας, Μάνταλος και στην κορυφή ο Μήτρογλου.

Edited by J1078

GREECE

1 Vlachodimos(GK)

4 Manolas

8 Zeca

10 Fortounis

11 Mitroglou

15 Torosidis(Captain)

16 Kourbelis

18 Pelkas

19 Papastathopoulos

20 Mantalos